The Writers' Group 9,315 members · 56,679 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

Quick question. I'm not exactly sure if this is something I need to assimilate to, or why it happens, but I'm finding that most stories on Fimfiction are indented differently than mine.
I try to write my stories like I'm writing this post, with Paragraph indentation separating the paragraphs.
I like this style, because it reminds me of how books are written, and I'm used to the stylistic way it works.
In a lot of stories around here though, I see people using double returns instead of paragraph indentations to show new lines of text.

Like this.

I'm not sure if it's something I should assimilate my fics to, or why people use paragraphs like this, but it seems to be a trend.

Do you guys know anything about this? I'm not too knowledgeable about the topic...

That indentation is annoying to read. Trust me when I tell you to just press enter and not indent anything.

Do not trust the knife! 3380357

Either way is valid and correct. The only wrong way is to use both, a blank line and indenting.

The blank line between paragraphs is generally preferred for online publishing, but that doesn't mean you have to. (No matter what people say. :trixieshiftleft:)
I, for one, use double returns for my shorter, more lighthearted stories. But I use indents for my more in-depth pieces -- the ones I take seriously.
(I think indenting gives a sense of taking things seriously, and I enjoy formatting it exactly like a book would be formatted.)

On a side note, when indenting, it is traditional to not indent the first paragraph of a chapter. Indents separate the paragraphs from each other, but for the first paragraph, there is nothing to separate it from, so an indent there is unnecessary. I doubted that at first, but then I picked up a book... and another... and another... they all were formatted this way.

You've kind of got to agree, though. Reading that indentation is really annoying. Is it grammatically correct? Yes. Will people most likely like to read the story? Probably not. Formatting is major thing on FIMfic and I was just letting him know in my typical headstrong fashion that the majority of people are probably going to be annoyed by the indents.

EDIT: Bad wording:

Will people most likely like to read the story? Probably not.

Should be: "Will people find the format annoying. Probably."

Thank you both for your feedback. It's much appreciated, and I will keep your advice in mind as I continue to write.

3380354 Whatever you do, don't do BOTH.

THAT gets annoying.

Will people most likely like to read the story? Probably not.

My most popular story, with 11,000 views, is formatted with indents.

Write a good story, and people will read it, regardless of the indentation.

Please read edit.

*reads edit*

You must be very annoyed when you read a paper book. :unsuresweetie:

Looking back, maybe it was just the way he typed the message where it was:

This
This
This

Instead of being:

Paragraph
Paragraph
Paragraph

Books are fine, also looking back, so long as it isn't written like OP's op, it'd be fine.

Shit. My fault, again.

What's wrong with indentation and a blank line? Every one of my stories has that, and this is the first time I've heard anything about it being annoying or wrong.

3380354 I do the second one, it looks cleaner to me.

It isn't wrong. As long as you stay consistent, you can do one, the other, or both. Doing neither is what will get you burned at the stake.

On a computer screen, I personally prefer some empty space between paragraphs in case I get up to do something or get distracted and look at something else and have to find my spot again. Indent-only makes that harder (especially in the midst of multiple lines of short dialogue) but still manageable. Indents are typically used in print media to maximize the use of available space on the page while maintaining readability, but electronic media doesn't have that limitation. Still, some writers prefer to keep indents as a matter of style, and that's just fine.

Double Space is just easier on the eyes while setting every paragraph to indent is just clean.

Luminary
Group Contributor

There is no single correct way to handle paragraph spacing. (Just incorrect ones)

Even using both indenting and spaces, despite what some may say. It was considered blasphemy because it's a lot of white space that would inflate page counts. Which would cost more. But there's no reasonable limit on document length on the interpipes like there is with a book.

I used to indent. (Heck, I used to indent and space) But personally, I think spacing looks a hell of a lot cleaner and is more readable.

The indenting I dropped for purely practical reasons. The indent when importing from GDocs screws up. And manually reindenting everything is a pain in the butt.

Both tab-indentation and double-spacing are technically correct, but there's something about reading text on an internet screen that just tends to make the latter more easily readable for people. So I prefer that.

Despite what 3380716 says, using both is technically wrong, though many on fimfic do it anyway.

The purpose of blank lines or indents is to separate paragraphs from each other -- it's a form of punctuation.
When you use both, you're using duplicate punctuation. The blank line says 'start a new paragraph', and then the indent says 'start a new paragraph' all over again. It's redundant, like ending a sentence with both a period and a exclamation point.!

That said, most readers won't mind it, so you won't be hurting much if you do that. But yes, it is grammatically incorrect.

In Ye Olden Dayes we killed trees to make paper. So all books used paragraph indents because skipping a line left blank space on the page and paper was expensive.

On the Modern Intertubes we skip lines to indicate paragraphs, because we can murder as many ones and zeroes as we like and nobody cares--except of course for the vengeful spirit of George Boole, who comes in the night:

Pleasant dreams!

I use both in my fics.

Like this.

The only wrong way is to use both, a blank line and indenting.

I can't say I can agree with that. It's a purely cosmetic issue. It can't really rise to the level of being wrong.

3380354 You can indent or just double return. As long as you use at least one of these, you should be fine. Just do what you're most comfortable with and go from there. Personally, I double return for my writings, but that's just me.

Books use indents because skipping lines would be very wasteful paper wise. That's not a problem when dealing with a digital media however. It is far easier to read, especially in a digital format, when you skip a line between paragraphs. Using both is redundant and unnecessary.

You can just use indents if you want, many stories do, but it is easier on the reader to use a blank line between paragraphs.

It's becoming more and more popular to not have indents when you can use line breaks.

You'll find it more common in older novels to use both.

Both are technically correct when starting a new paragraph.

You could even do this.

Even this is acceptable, but is usually reserved for new chapters or new sections.

Just be consistent.

I will read your story if it is well written, and if I'm not put off by your premise (military HiE with characters acting badly or blatantly breaking canon/character.)

DH7

I prefer indenting for whenever I'm reading out of a book. Block paragraphs with spacing, however, are much easier on the eyes when staring at a computer screen.

People who do both may be a little confused.

3383177 SpaceCommie at Monday 23rd of June 2014 07:53:25 PM said:

The only wrong way is to use both, a blank line and indenting.

I can't say I can agree with that. It's a purely cosmetic issue. It can't really rise to the level of being wrong.

It's redundant.
And, crack open any official grammar reference; they'll tell you the same.
Believe me, I used to do that as well, but then someone told me, so I did the research and looked it up. It truly is wrong.

Care to link one of these 'official' grammar references? Out of curiosity, I went to my resource of choice, the Purdue Owl, and it says a whole lot of nothing on the matter as far as I can tell.

Edit: And the 'unofficial' consensus from a simple google search seems to be, "Do whatever the hell you want as long as you're consistent, and breaks between paragraphs are clear."

Both methods are legit.

I've found that the expected format on FimFiction (and perhaps other places online) is no indentation, and a line break between paragraphs, and have changed my writing style to reflect that.

I've also found that when you tab indent in gDocs, it does not consistently translate when imported into FimFiction, making the left margin look weirdly ragged if you have a lot of short paragraphs in a row.

Meh. I have a habit of liking to flagrantly break pointless grammar rules.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29