Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24
Loganberry
Group Admin

I am in fact slightly less tired this month. Progress! Indeed, I'm even awake enough to be posting this thread at slightly after midnight UK time. It's now November, which surprisingly enough means it's time for the November FF150. Yeah, I know, I really am running short on material for this section! Oh well, let's move on...

Here are the full rules.
Please use this word counter.

You'll note that Rule 6 accommodates G5 entries. Since this means that an active generation is permitted, please bear in mind Rule 9 on spoilers. As always, comments are welcome in the relevant thread.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. Every so often I even remember to speak your name out loud for the purposes of dark and eldritch rituals giving you a little more fame. Well, unless I do it when nobody else is around, that is. Okay, on to the usual details section:

Prompt: "Just the Two of Us" (selected by hamster wizard)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Tuesday 21st November 2023, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

You forgot to change the prompt.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Fixed! Thanks. :twilightsmile:

Two Is Enough

“Celestia, my dear sister, this ‘Equestria’ as they call it will be the end of us. We have been cut off from the Alicorn society.”

“Calm down, little sister. The plan is still in effect. We may lack the wise counsel of our elders, but we still have each other.”

“Just the two of us against the world?”

“No, Luna. With the world. We are not to rule over ponies, we are to guide them to their full potential.”

“What is the difference?”

“Ponies are like flowers waiting to blossom. They just need some sunshine.”

“They are lazy, sleeping all the nights away. I think Opaline might have had the right idea.”

“I have banished her for good. Don’t make me banish you too.” Celestia playfully booped Luna on her muzzle and hugged her.

Luna cherished the warmth of her sister, yet at the same time the long shadow chilled her.

After the buddy duo story I made last month, I should try and use them for this month's prompt.

And unlike the last time I used them for one of these flashfics, this one isn't unused content, that way I won't have to waffle over wither it's deserving to be in the expanded folder, like I am with the current one.

Accommodating

The rain drums the roof, seeping inside the wooden structure. A water droplet drips on Tricklebrook and drenches her tiny frame. She shivers, chattering her teeth as fast as her fairy wings are buzzing, "This stump is a dump!!"

"It's the perfect home for a mushroom mare such as myself." Truffles rebuts, "The moisture in here is at the ideal level to satisfy. Messaging the gills and smooths the scales on my cap. If your uninvited plot doesn't like it, there's the door you forced yourself through, ya parasite."

Brook puffs her cheeks at Truffles, glaring intensely until she slowly gives a sly smile. She flies around and buries into Truffles' mane. Brook pops her head out, getting cozy in the hair strands under Truffles' cap, "There. Nice, dry, and warm."

Truffles rubs her forehead, "The ophiocordycep makes it look so easy."

"In Fernaglaze Forest, insect gives mushroom splitting headache."

gapty #6 · Nov 1st, 2023 · · 1 ·

"Looks like it's just the two of us" Sunset muttered, raising her view from the burning school to Midnight Sparkle.

A concept from a longer short story sitting in my drafts.

Only Us Now

As the last pangs of bitterness died in her heart, the stone snapped to dust. Chrysalis stumbled and gasped, looking up to see Twilight and a contingent of strangely armored guards.

“I…. am sorry…” tears swelled.

A wing wrapped tightly. “It’s okay, let it out.”

The quivering bug hid her face, sobbing into the purple wings. Unmeasurable grief swelled, almost swallowing her whole. She felt poisoned, betrayed by herself in a way.

Only hours later, did she speak.

“How… long has it been?”

“Two thousand years.”

Chrysalis gazed upon, Tirek and Cozy, still frozen.  It’d take that long for her to accept she’d been wrong. A weak, chortled laugh escaped.

“Just us left, isn’t it?”

Twilight muttered. “Few alicorns have arisen since…. I… needed you.”

“It’s okay.” Chrysalis hugged her. “You saved me, and you need a friend.”

Tears escaped the alicorn.

“Let’s start over, shall we?”

They each nodded.

Trio

Apple Bloom's eyes faded.

The poison had reached up to her neck by the time she passed. She had always been a strong mare.

The distant rumblings of thunder broke Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s focus, wearily looking behind them at the storm. A thick mass of clouds blacker than ash.

Drawing nearer with each second.

Scootaloo's expression softened, but took on a strange determination. "Just the two of us," She accepted hoarsely, motioning for Sweetie to follow her further into the woods. "We can make it if we try."

Sweetie couldn't bring herself forward. "Just… the two of us…?" She could only lift her gaze as far as Scootaloo’s cutie mark. It lingered there.

Scootalooo paused and looked back. She tried to offer the most comforting smile she could, desperate to get her friend to keep fighting. Watery eyes betrayed her. "You and I."

Yer we go again....... Tra la, de da, de da.......

Just the two of us, building castles in the sky

Princess Luna danced across the meadow. ”This is it sister! Our new home!”

Celestia poked the marshy ground with a hoof and looked around the great glacial bowl high on the side of the Canterhorn. “It’s awfully wet and cold.”

“Fresh air, fresh water, our castle by the cliff edge, the views! Perfect for a new city!”

“No! Everfree is home, it was a mistake coming here.”

“Every mistake is an opportunity to learn.” Luna pleaded.

Celestia turned her back on her sister and spread her wings. “If that was the case sister, then you would be the most learned pony in Equestria!”

Luna glared at the ground, her eyes hard, cat like, her coat darkening as she fought her rage. Beside her a huge sarsen stone lay, she ripped it from the ground and drove it down to stand upright in front of Celestia. “Be gone! This place….. Canterlot! Is mine!”

It's Just You And Me Now

Sludge returned to the Dragonlands quietly but with hope. Sure his attempt to hustle the whelp Spike hadn't worked out, but for a couple of days? He had lived the high life. The con worked. He just needed another opening.

But that was a problem for tomorrow Sludge. Now, he had to get some sleep with his fluffy new pillow from the castle.

And so Sludge faded off to sleep.

He awoke in the middle of the night to a strange sound: the quiet creaking of wood.

Turning over and turning on a light, he found the source: a rocking chair by his bedside with a pony in it. A pony with a baseball bat across her lap.

Twilight Velvet stopped rocking. She lifted the bat in her magic. She looked at Sludge - alone with her in the cave. And she said four icy words.

"You hurt my boy."

Sudden inspiration struck. I already knew what I wanted to write this month, the basic idea, but not what events I would describe exactly. In 2021, a particular art piece I saw on Twitter inspired me to a story, that is a pony version of a certain video game universe. And like with my September entry, I wanted to use the opportunity to write out something from an idea that will become a future story one day. Now I was inspired, just by looking at the thread and thinking of the prompt and the picture.
Introducing, Sweetie Belle and Vinyl Scratch in a fungus-infested world and a lot of emotion:

"Vinyl?" Sweetie Belle looked at her fellow musician, guitar held low on her lap. It almost fell to the floor the way she was holding it, but she would never let that happen.
"Yeah?" the former DJ asked. Her voice sounded morose and dry. Vinyl looked at the floor, forehooves hanging between her thighs as she sat hunched over on the bed.
"We are the only ones now, isn't it? What happened to Octavia?" Sweetie Belle's eyes pleaded for an answer.
"She....." Vinyl began, then stopped, then sighed. "Guess that thing got her....."
Sweetie Belle's eyes widened, not from shock, but from grief setting in.
"One of those Clicker bastards..... It followed right on our tails. And I couldn't stop it." Vinyl pressed her forehooves together and they shook.
Sweetie Belle lowered her eyes and began staring at the floor, too. "We are alone now," she whispered.

Bit of a missing scene from (fittingly) "Missing the Mark."

Petty Theft

He is asleep when she takes him.

Midnight makes her shadow lithe. The door shuts without sound. It was almost too easy, Misty thinks, staring at the baby dragon bundled snug in her cape.

She has seen the storybook pictures. Has heard the way Opaline talks about them—of brutes, of the beasts bigger than the very castle they live in, who tear down villages and leave naught but ash in their wake.

As Sparky slumbers in Misty's hooves, a tendril of smoke curls out from his little nostrils.

Do her friends know what she’s done? What they’ve lost? Or will they ignore the “why” and think only of the “who”? Of her? Behind Misty, the light of the Unity Crystals cuts deep into the sky. It is prismatic, and beautiful, and terrifying.

Sparky will wake soon. For now, she just tightens her grip on him.

She can say sorry later.

Post-Reconciliation

Side by side, they sat. The cowgirl glanced at the athlete, before casting her eyes down once more.

“Ah just don’t get it, Dash.”

“Get what?” The voice was earnest, which made it painful.

“How… how we just weren’t friends, for months. Over somethin’ so dang stupid.”

She looked over again, witnessing the athlete’s nonchalant shrug. “Eh. We’re kids, right? Everyone always says we’re supposed to do stupid things.”

The cowgirl exhaled. “Ah guess. But Ah should be better than that. Like mah folks would’ve wanted.”

Concern in her eyes, the athlete scooted closer. “Applejack… look, maybe we needed a reminder from some magical pony princess, but, I mean, we are friends. I mean, I wouldn’t want to fight some crazy magic demon with just anyone, would I?”

“Ah reckon that’s true…” The cowgirl smiled.

The athlete smiled back. “Your parents would think you’re awesome, AJ.”

The two friends hugged.

Loganberry
Group Admin

33 and a bit hours to go before entries close, everyone!

You, Me, and Cabin Fever

“Ok! I spy with my little eye-”

“Is it the chair again?” asked Rainbow Dash, cutting off Pinkie Pie mid-sentence.

“Bingo! Wow Dashie. you’re really good at this!”

Rainbow sighed, stealing another glance toward the cabin window. It was still obscured, tons of snow piled high against the outer wall.

“Ok, your turn!” Pinkie cheerfully informed her.

“Maybe we should take a break. We’ve been doing this for hours anyway.”

“Okie dokey! How about we play charades next? Ooh, or better yet, we could do some karaoke! I’ll go first! Makin’ my way downtown, walking fast-”

Dash buried her head into the couch, groaning as Pinkie continued to wail out yesterday’s greatest hits.

Finishing her latest song, Pinkie said, “at least we’re stuck here together! Best vacation ever! Right Dashie?”

Rainbow gave Pinkie a weak grin. “Yep, sure thing Pinkie. Sure thing.”

Could be way worse, she thought to herself.

I almost forgot to write anything.

Rarity relaxed deeper into the warm bath and its bubbles surrounding her. Only faint candle light illuminated her bathroom, but a mask covered her eyes regardless, and the quiet meant she was concerned only with the pleasant sensations of the warm water, and its luxurious smell. Every part of her was submerged, except for her head and the small island of her pregnancy jutting outwards midway through the tub.

Sweetie Belle hadn’t earned her name this week, accidentally setting her mane on fire during one of her little stunts, but that didn’t matter now. She was Applejack’s problem preoccupation, presently.

She sighed, but not in a tired way. “Ah, it feels so good to be alone.” A small earthquake struck the island, sending a tiny tidal wave at her face before calm returned.

“I mean, it feels good with just the two of us.” Her lips curled into a smile.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7899125 7899156 7899392 7900003 7900261 7901781 7903366 7903525 7905187 7906785 7907049

Time's up, everyone! Thank you, as ever, to all of you who wrote something this month. :twilightsmile: Eleven entries (ten if I don't include hamster wizard's ineligible-because-prompt-setter one), which isn't bad at all. Kassaz got in at 11:57 pm on deadline day, which wins the "cutting it fine" award for this month. :raritywink:

Results to come on the 28th. In the meantime, feedback is open!

Whoops, forgot that was a rule lol. Good luck to everyone else though!

Nice mix of G4 & G5. The despair yet hope, and the prophetic teasing of the future Nightmare Moon is chilling.
Cute bonding! Lots of character shown here, alongside them learning to appreciate each other's culture.
Short yet effective, and ambiguous if Sunset joins her in misery or attack to avenge the dead.
I imagine this would be one of the more realistic yet tragic outcomes of their various, dangerous larkings into the Everfree. They're gonna be traumatized heavily based on the clues to how she died.
Love the atmosphere here of the ancient wilds of pre-Canterlot mountainside. Interesting to see how the young sisters strove better themselves.

If it's this bade for Twilight Velvet of all ponies, Sludge done fudged up on conning Spike. To the leering point, with satisfaction we know that he's gonna get whupped.
This gives my The Last Of Us feels, based on the mushrooms. I think the horror is gotten across quite well.
Reminds of how Mother Gothel stole Rapunzel in Tangled. If I am interpret this correctly, she is nigh guilty doing this, yet feels she has no other choice. A swell show don't tell case.
Sweet reconciling story. Pretty effective, leaving only the needed bits in. Like it a lot.
That's only gonna make it worse Dash. It snow stormed for me yesterday, winter here at last, so the fear of being stuck strikes again in me. The biting cold, only entertainment is the people you live with. Terrifying.
Motherly moment, adore it. I am jealous of such a relaxed state. And just throwing in Sweete Bell on fire is hilarious and fitting.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7899125 7899156 7899392 7900003 7900261 7901781 7903366 7903525 7905187 7906785 7907049

All right folks, results time! I know I say this fairly often, but I really did think that several of the fics that didn't make it to the not-actually-a-prize level would have been worthy winners in their own right. You make this job so tricky for me!

Hon mensh: Bad Dragon -- I'm one of those people who finds G4 and G5 being in the same continuity intriguing rather than irritating, and so this appealed to me. The good humoured comment that for us has such a dark edge is nice foreshadowing, too.
Winner: Soft Shake -- I suppose one could argue this is nudging at the site ban on copyrighted lyrics in stories, but I think it's fine in this case. Which is good, because I'm really rather impressed by how two potentially very clichéd things -- a perhaps overplayed hit song¹ and a "major canon pony dies in front of her friends" storyline -- come together to make something I find really touching. Also goes nicely against the slightly irritating (to me) bit in "Forever Filly" where Scoot and AB can't help ponies properly without Sweetie.
¹ Well, in the US. It only made no. 34 here in Britain, though it still became very well known through radio airplay.

A little announcement: as a one-off rule change, the December edition of this contest will have a 250-word maximum. This will not last and we'll definitely be back to 150 words from January onwards as that word count is such a core part of this contest, but a Christmas Special edition seems reasonable.

So with that in mind... Soft Shake, congratulations and please pick a prompt for the outsized December issue of... er... FF150+100!

7909702 Muahaha, I got mentioned honorably. Who wants to touch me? Somepony please touch me!

Well yippee! I'm very glad it was enjoyed.

Resisting the urge to do something holiday themed, I think I'd like to go with this for a prompt?: "and some pain too"

Loganberry
Group Admin

Heh, I originally read that as "and some paint too". :twilightsheepish: But all right, we'll go with pain. So to speak.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24