The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29
yamgoth
Group Contributor

Just letting you guys know, I will be providing prize support once again. Oh, how I just love encouraging you all to beat the figurative snot outta each other being such a nice, generous guy. As it was with last month, I'm planning to somehow make the prizes somehow related to the prompt.

This Writeoff, and it being October, the month of spooky Halloweeny things, I'm thinking the odds are the prompt will be something horror oriented. And with that, I'm leaning heavily on those prizes being of a gothy pursuasion. What can I say? I consider myself a geeky goth in real life, and have quite the urge to spread a bit of goth culture, and this Writeoff does seem to be a nice springboard to do so :]

I haven't finalized any prizes yet. Some ideas include gothic bling, iTunes albums by gothic bands[1], $10 Hot Topic gift cards to use to barter for people's souls, and that horrendous looking new MLP toy line[2] where everypony goes teh hoser gofficks except Applejack and Luna. Oh, I guess I could do Monster High Dolls XD

Maybe I can have winners choose which prize they want from my prize pool based on rankings, so as to provide a bit of variety on my end, while letting people have what they like, at least to some degree (third place would get what's left in the pool)

What do you guys think? Want to throw in your two cents on what would be an appropriate, appealing, and on theme prize for this Writeoff? I do want to maximize participation, while throwing a bit of personalization, too.

[1]Personally, I like listening to quite a bit of the stuff Elder goths like.
[2]The toy line doesn't seem to exist in Canada yet :/ I rather want this because it's goth (kind of...?) plus ponies.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

iTunes albums by gothic bands[1]

I love this idea. Everyone at least needs some classic Voltaire on their playlist.

And iTunes is a prize idea I will keep in mind in general for future competitions I might run. So thanks!

journcy
Group Contributor

fight me yammy the goth ponies are the best ever (:twilightsmile:)

Sunny
Group Contributor

Goff ponies are a fantastic October prize

horizon
Group Admin

Here's where we all get ahead!

Goffik pony toys? Color me curious. (Or, well, black. That's a curious color for a pony, right?) Seconding iTunes as both easily distributable and easy to appreciate.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

You should just send people bags of candy. That's not creepy at all (and you'd better believe I'll write a hundred fics in 24 hours for a shot at a bag of candy :V).

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

These aberrations. As far as I can tell, Applejack had too much common sense to get involved.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

Applejack, darling, put on your costume...

No way. Y'all look like you're workin' a whore house on Nightmare Night.

Do you know how much candy you get working a whore house on Nightmare Night?

I'll pass.

Flashgen
Group Contributor

The answer is always candy.

horizon
Group Admin

*snrk*

Candy! I would totally fic for candy. "Fic or treat!" Just get candy that survives mailin—

> These aberrations.

SWEET MOTHER OF FRIENDSHIP

THESE THINGS

THESE

GOFF CELESTIA WOULD BE THE BEST WRITEOFF PRIZE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER

yamgoth
Group Contributor

Oh my god I forgot about Voltaire. I listen to relatively harder stuff typically.
*totally doesn't go listen to Nine Inch Nails and Sisters of Mercy for weeks on end*
Voltaire totally goes with the fandom.

Gabriel LaVadier should blog more since he mentions the guy like every other post.

That is so stupid and fucking retardedly appropriate and awesome that I am actually going to send someone a FedEx sac o' candy. It's added to the pool.

Totally gonna be yamgoth's choice.

Any of you yanks like ketchup chips? ^.~

Or I could send rainbow lollipops shaped like giant pen--

*is arrested by political correctness police*

Thanks for doing the work for me :D

"Aberrations"? I don't think that's a strong enough word... I don't think "poseur" or even "hoser" is enough, either.

Funko produces black vinyl mystery box figures.

All teh goth ponies

I might throw some mystery boxes in the prize pool.

Though, dat gofficks Celestia...

A friend just found out for me that they're at the Toys R Us across from where I work.

Yeah, they're going into the prize pool, too. They're too much of a hilarious novelty not to XD

The most hoser ('cept Celly)

yamgoth
Group Contributor

I have been to the peelers on Halloween. They... weren't really celebrating. Nobody came out in costumes or anything. It was like a regular night for them :|

The highlight of that night was watching Saw 3D and Paranormal Activity 2 in theatres. Me and my friend provided peanut gallery commentary on PA2. Surprised we didn't get thrown out XD

Pool shot #39 from Paranormal Activity 2.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

GOFF CELESTIA WOULD BE THE BEST WRITEOFF PRIZE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER

YES

because then I wouldn't have to bother with the others! :D

yamgoth
Group Contributor

Aww shit.

Ponymania is officially in the pool. I repeat, Ponymania is officially in the pool.

Like, nooooooooooo...

This'll be a prime collector's item in a few years :V There's no way I'd break up a set (my OCD powers super prevent me). Besides, MIB, yo. MIB...

You'd get goth Celestia. Just think of the others as a bonus.

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

I honestly fell asleep before anything scary happened, it was 50mins into the film.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

I'm using aberration in the D&D sense. That is, something that "has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three."

In other words, I blame Pinkie Pie.

yamgoth
Group Contributor

Here's how final prize distribution will look like:

Live or Die. Make Your Choice.

I'm going to let top three pick what their prize is this time around, one pick out of three prize piles for each winner, highest gets to pick first. First will get first pick, second will pick from the two that are left, and third gets the last pile.

-One "Ponymania" set, and one gothic rock album via iTunes*

-Two gothic rock albums via iTunes*

-A FedEx sack o' candy[1] :O

yamgoth's choice will be based on who manages to get some "spooky cute"ness into their story and the prize will consist of two gothic rock albums via iTunes*

Dead last gets a a single song from iTunes of my choosing.

* Yes, I am aware that people have vastly different tastes in music, so there will be some choices in here, too. Voltaire is actually pretty happy and at times quite comedic, quite a match for the fandom. Therefore, I will recommend his albums.

For the more adventurous type, there are various bands to choose from, like Nine Inch Nails, The Birthday Massacre, The Cure, The 69 Eyes, Fields of the Nephilim, The Sisters of Mercy, Jack off Jill, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Virgin Prunes, H.I.M., and Depeche Mode to name a but a few. The only real stipulation is that your choice must be "gothy", and I'll be pretty broad to allow for what people might like.

I won't allow something like dubstep, but if someone somehow finds a hybrid of goth and dubstep, I will allow it with admittedly much hesitance.

Also, another alternative would be to mix and match goth tunes from various artists, up to 10 of them for each album in a prize pile.

Broadening views, yo.

[1]Yes, I am being serious. You won't have to go trick or treating, unless you're kind of greedy or something. I haven't researched all my options yet, but this prize will be some form of sack of candy.

yamgoth
Group Contributor

I would've fallen asleep, too, had my friend not started talking about how boring the movie was. Maybe the point of PA2 was to boo at the screen. I can't pinpoint it, but PA2 has a sense of tediousness not present in the others. It's too mundane, even compared with PA4, with all its tech to amuse the audience, but lacking in oomph in the story comparatively.

PA1 and 3 are my faves from the series. They hit it right in the scare and story dept.

Best part of PA2 was when Katie went and neck snapped the dad so suddenly and violently, and when she Falcon Punched her sister into the camera in the ceiling corner of the room.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Oooh, the Birthday Massacre. :D Their latest album was disappointing, but not the earlier ones!

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

Dead last gets a a single song from iTunes of my choosing.

This is going to be like stealing candy from a yamgoth! :pinkiecrazy:

yamgoth
Group Contributor

Holy shit. 49 entries. There is no way that these prizes attracted that much attention. I didn't advertise prize support other than this thread this time around.

*slowly turns to 3690306 *

How many stories did you submit?

I wonder how many different people submitted stories to this month's competition.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Would you believe me if I said one? :B

Chris
Group Contributor

Just want to say that I got my goth ponies today! The box arrived ripped apart in covered in "EXAMINED BY BORDER PROTECTION" tape, but everything made it through safe and sound.

Thank you again, Yamgoth, for stepping up to the plate with the prizes! It's made my day, it has.

Chris
Group Contributor

Oh, I should add that my mom was over today, so I shared some of the Canadian candy with her. Aeros and Coffee Crisps and the like are novelties in the land of Hershey and Mars, so we both enjoyed the box filler, too!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Aeros and Coffee Crisps are pretty fine. :D

horizon
Group Admin

I got my bag o' candy yesterday! I've been slowly going through it at work. Except for the Coffee Crisps. Because all you crazy people who like coffee are, um, crazy or something.

The ketchup chips were strangely tasty. I think the secret ingredient is addiction. I'm going to go back to BBQ chips but it won't be the same.

I offered some Canadian candy to my coworkers. They asked me if it was leftover from Halloween. I said, no, a Canadian friend shipped me some candy. They gave me strange looks and left it on my desk.

I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of these Coffee Crisps. I can't even feed it to the office parrot, because caffeine and small animals really don't mix.

pterrorgrine
Group Contributor

As long as this thread is high on the front page, I'm free to wonder why nobody linked this yet.
I totally want those, though. I could use them to reenact my favorite scenes from Angel while listening to Jack Off Jill at high volume and waiting for the black hair dye to dry.

horizon
Group Admin

Because apparently none of us knew about it yet, you beautiful person, you. :rainbowlaugh::pinkiehappy:

pterrorgrine
Group Contributor

3797284 I don't have anything else to say about my inner 13-year-old goth girl but coffee haterz unite, yo.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29