Sunset Shimmer 4,929 members · 6,765 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

I mean, it is kind of a cute nickname for her.

But now we have a G5 pony with that name.

Does that kill that nickname for her or can we still use it without being too confusing?

Well there were two Twilights but we call one Sci Twi to distinguish them. Maybe we can do the same for this

Well one is officially called Sunset...

I mean it's a cute nickname and I'd hate for it to be killed for anyone who really likes it.

There are a few characters called Sunny already so i doubt it

Right, isn't there a Shadowbolt with that name?

I think we'll be fine. Sunny isn't commonly used for Sunset

But will it kill it for those that do use it for her? (I don't recall using it myself but someone's reaction on Equestria Daily made me a little sad)

Well I dunno. I've used it in the context of Pinkie Pie calling her "Sunny Girl." But I think for the most part people can differentiate. I wouldn't worry.:twilightsmile:

I mean, all you gotta do is specify afterwards if it does get confusing

I wouldn't worry about it too much...

I've been grinding through the 2021 Hasbro investment pitch trying to find the video of Pinkie and Celestia dancing...

If I had bucks, I would really have to THINK HARD ABOUT INVESTING IN HASBRO.

G 5 is already promising 'woke' political leanings. And the Hasbro presentation is walking hand in hoof with that thinking...

Seriously...if you have a strong constitution, watch the presentation by the lady wearing the Zora Vi-​Lar villain costume from Superman Two...

Kids will be shutting this off to go find an ice pick and start searching the inside of their skull for their amygdala...

Think G 3.5, but with CGI animation...

I mean, it's just a nickname.
It's not like you couldn't call somepony sweetie without refering to Sweetie Belle.

Well, it's not the only nickname she has. We also got Pinkie and Rainbow Dash calling her Sun-Shim in Movie Magic, or some people also call her Shimmy I believe. I think Shimmy's pretty cute.

I've always preferred Shimmy myself

No. The movie will be shit and ignored.
The animation and the generic as fuck yet somehow still creepy design for the ponies is a dead give away.
No one will mistake you saying Sunny.

I think you can use it in context, but not indiscriminately.

(Really, it just brings her closer to mist EQG characters, who don't have first claim on any name.)

I would think it depends on if both characters are in the same story or not. If the new 'Sunny' isn't involved there isn't much reason to change the nickname, and even if she is, I feel like there's more to a character than just a nickname that would make it easy to differentiate between the two.

A lot of people love the new ponies already, but we'll see what happens in fall.

Cryosite
Group Admin

While "Sunny's" name isn't really a spoiler in and of itself, be mindful of the sorts of conversations people will have if you post about new content. This sort of thing is pretty likely to go into spoiler territory. You'd be better off putting a "g5 Spoilers" warning of some sort in your thread title.

On topic, I think collectively we call Sunset a variety of nicknames. Some may like to call her Sunny. Some of those may like that less when they learn about G5 Sunny and avoid that nickname for Sunset. Some folks will certainly get confused at least once in the future.

Oh well.

I thought this was widely announced and common knowledge by now.

Jondor
Group Admin

Unreleased content is considered in spoiler territory until it actually airs. Just because promotional material exists does not mean that something is common knowledge. Some people actively avoid promotional material in order to have a completely fresh experience and you should respect that out of courtesy.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22