• Published 1st May 2013
  • 2,950 Views, 61 Comments

Twilight's new feather - Onyxfire408



The eagle strikes a falling mare as she fell in love with a mysterious unicorn

  • ...
14
 61
 2,950

Chapter 9: Underhand [Fixed]

Chapter 9: Underhand

---Note The next chapter will be a flashback about Eagle's past, so some chapters may be in the past, and some might be in the present.---

---1005 Years ago, 5 years before the banishment of Nightmare Moon---

The lonely alicorn stallion was in the out door training grounds as he started to strike the a dummy with the side of his flat palms. He then jumped, spun and came back around as he kicked the wooden dummy, shattering it as it's chips flew out like blood into the grass. He panted in exhaustion as he picked up a nearby rag and whipped his sweaty face. "Captain Eagle!" Eagle flinched as he turned to see his superior General Splinter Claw, he was old, white hair and beard.

"General!" Eagle addressed as he saluted at his superior who put up his hand.

"At ease. I need a special favor of you." Splinter settled as Eagle removed his hand from his head.

"What is it?"

"Sole, come out please." The general commanded as a unicorn mare in bronze armor came out from behind him holding a silver headed spear. Her coat was pillow white as her mane was long and blonde like gold along with her tail. Her hands shivered a little with hidden fear as she gulped at the alicorn. "This is my granddaughter Sole Spear, she volunteer to be in the royal guard and I was hoping you would accept as to train her as you're personal second." Eagle's eyes widen and pupils shrunk as he looked at Sole who hung a centimeter in fear.

Eagle place a hand on Splinter's shoulder as he started to pull him away from his grandchild. "General can I talk to you." He dragged him around ten feet away from Joan as he glared at the general. "General! Why me!? Why would you choose me!? And don't say it's because I'm an alicorn!" Eagle barked as he continued to glare at his superior who only just chuckled.

"It's because I trust you, you are one of the youngest captains we have. And you are the toughest we have, that and you learned a lot of your travels. Please, just train her."

"Why can't you train her!?" He spat at Splinter.

"You think this old stallion can actually fight?"

"...Yes." He said pointing at his hoof's muscle as it's veins popped out like a balloon.

"Yes but look at this." He said pointing at his cracked horn. "I can't use anymore magic. But you can, and you bested most high ranked members with your skills." He said with a heavy sigh. "Look, just train her for a week, if you're used to it and like it, train er some more. If not, then I'll assign her to somepony else." Eagle mumbled in his mind as he came to a conclusion.

"Fine, but it won't be easy for her."

"That's what I'm hoping." Splinter said with a chuckled as he turned to his grand daughter. "Sole!" He barked as female guard flinched and faced her grandfather. "Come here." She gulped and walked next to her elder. "Captain Eagle is going to train you from now on." He said as Sole swiftly struck her hand out in front of Eagle and shivered with fear.

"H-Hi, n-n-nice to meet you sir."

Eagle shook her hand as her cheeks turned a little pink. "Greetings to you Sole, as you may know I am Captain Eagle. You will be trained under my hands, but it won't be easy."

"I-I know sir."

"Good, starting tomorrow you will come to the training grounds at 7 a.m. We will begin your training there."

"Yes sir."

"Good, dismissed. General," He said as he saluted to his comrade. "I'll see you then." He said as he spread his wings and took off into the distance. The two other guards stayed behind as Sole gave a heavy sigh and smiled at her grandfather.

"Thanks Grandpa."

"Anything for my little baby. Are you sure you wan't to do this? He's hard to get, he's rejected almost every female guard."

"I know, but I'm willing to do anything for his heart." She gave a soft sigh as Eagle left Sole's sight. "Anything."


The next day had come as Eagle waited outside on the training grounds. He awaited patiently as he looked at his pocket watch which told the time of 6:59 a.m. "Where in the name of Auntie is she?" He looked in the distance to find Sole running towards him, she looked worried. She reached him as Eagle's clock tocked having it tell the precise time he wanted her. "What took you so long?" He asked as Sole gasped for air.

"I was *gasp* trying to *gasp* get *gasp* breakfast." She breathed out as she held out a bag with a bagel in it causing Eagle to smile and chuckled.

"Alright, next time just come here, I'll have some fruit prepared." He said as Sole nodded. "Now first I need to ask you a few questions. "Why did you volunteer?"

"Because I wan't to protect the ponies of Equestria so they can keep their freedom."

"How old are you?"

"23 years old."

"Huh, 2 years younger than me." Eagle noticed as he focused back to his questions. "Specialty?" He asked as he pointed at Sole's Cutiemark on her shoulder which was a spear with a ceramic white tip.

"Oh! I'm uh... Good with spears and battle staffs."

"Alright, now that sums up the questions right now. Now I wan't you to run four times around the track."

"Whaaaat!?" Sole's jaw dropped with a sense for sore legs.

"You heard me, go." Eagle commanded in a serious tone as Sole took off her armor and started to jog around the track.

Well Sole, you wanted this, you're gonna do this, for him. She thought of determination as she started to quicken her pace around the track.

Hm, she's not bad. Fit and well determined. But why did she really join is my question. Eagle thought as he turned and summoned a fresh wooden practice dummy.


A few months had passed and Sole's skill had improved, it has improved in a mass amount of percentage. Her rank had also escalated as she went from a private to a full pledge lieutenant, she was the rank of the counting standing guards. But she wasn't doing that because she was under Eagle's full control and hand.

Eagle had just woken up and looked over to his clock, it was early. He remember he gave Sole the day off to relax, since she deserved it, so there was nothing for him to do left other than guard duty. He felt fine for the morning until he saw the date, a date he would never forget. He didn't smile, instead he frowned as he stepped out of his bed, applied his armor, and left for the barracks to grab some grub. He arrived in the mess hall as he approached the unicorn chef. "Hey Chuck Cut, what's the special today?"

"Well we got roast beef for bat ponies, uh.... hay and cheese sandwiches with eggs and beans, and finally a mushroom cheese pepper omelet with hash browns."

Eagle argued with his mind on what to eat. Obviously the meat the out of the question but his mind battled between the omelet or the sandwich meals. But then it came to a treaty. "I'll...... have the omelet please. With a sprinkle of daisy petals please."

"No problem mac." Chuck confirmed as he went into the back of the kitchen as sounds of sizzle and hunger plagued Eagle's mind. He sat down at the front counter and awaited patiently for his food. Chuck soon came back levitating his plates and a mug of coffee as he set them in front of Eagle. "Here ya are captain."

"Thank you" Eagle thanked as he began to eat in silence. He was half finished with his food as he felt a tapping on his shoulders to find his cousin, Prince Obsidian, a dark purple unicorn stallion with a grey main and tail with small goatee across his chin. "Hello Cousin."

"Cousin, you know what today is right?"

"Yes."

"Then I might as well accompany you to feel better. After all, I was there, and your mother loved you very much."

"But not Aunt Cel, she wouldn't even let me see my own mother."

"Cousin, Auntie loves you very much. The reason she wouldn't let you see your mother is because you were young, she didn't want to scar you like this."

"Well that's too bad, I never saw my mother's face again, not even at her funeral." Obsidian opened his mouth but had nothing to say, it seemed he was bested. Obsidian gave a heavy sigh as he reached inside his coat and pulled out a small white box with a red ribbon tied to it. "This was from my private collection. Happy birthday cousin."

"Nothing to be happy about it. But thank you anyways cousin."

Obsidian nodded as he felt a tap on his shoulder. It was a tall winged teenage sea blue dragon with white spines on his back and a white scaled stomach. He was holding a scroll with a pendant tied to it keeping it rolled. "Ahh, Soar my assistant, there you are." Obsidian said with glee.

"Hey Obby, I got this uh... letter from the princess." Soar said as Obsidian levitated the scroll and unraveled it.

Dear Obsidian, my nephew,

I please request that you come to the castle immediately for the Country Club meeting. They request that you come along with Soar to start a sparing conversation and to keep the boredom to a flat surface. And if you see Eagle, please tell him please meet me, I wan't to talk to him.

-Your Auntie

Celestia

Obsidian dispersed Celestia's letter as he pulled out a piece of paper and pen. "Dear Auntie, thank you for forwarding this message to me attire, I will meet with the fellow members shortly. And Eagle...." Obsidian paused as he looked at Eagle who had finished his meal and had a frown on his face. He then gave a heavy sigh as he faced his cousin with a stare causing Soar to flinch back.

"Fine, I'll see her, but it won't be very cheerful. I wan't to hear what she says. Tell her I will meet her at midnight during auntie Luna's night" Eagle said in a dark tone as he stood from his seat and walked out the mess hall leaving Obsidian to sigh at him as he finished his letter.

"...will see you at midnight. With love, your nephew, Obsidian." He finished as he rolled his paper and gave it to Soar who later torched it with a blue flame sending it's blue ashes towards the castle. Obsidian felt a tap on his shoulder who turned to find a female soldier with gold armor. "Ah hello, you are Sole Spear, Eagle's sidekick, am I correct?" He recognized her due to her being attached to Eagle for months.

"Um...yes, I uh, what happened here? What happened to Eagle?"

Obsidian gave a heavy sigh as he placed a hand on Sole's shoulder. "It's not my story to tell, as a gentleman. But I just want to say, he hates Celestia with all of the blackness in his heart."


Luna's moon had glimmered in the night sky as Eagle landed in front of the castle, he looked around, hoping for no sketch artists or paparazzi. He walked inside the stone castle as he could see his Aunt sitting at the throne, staring at him with a smile while Eagle just gave the opposite. "Hello Eagle how are you."

"Fine..." He reassured in a cold tone as he crunched up his fist, holding in his hatred. A long silence fell between the two as Celestia gulped.

"I'm sorry."

As Eagle heard those words, he frowned. He heard that same phrase many times before, they crawled towards him year after year like rats in food. It annoyed him. He skill kept his scowled face as he faced his aunt. "Why should I!" He snapped as the ground shook with tremor and fear. "You wouldn't let me see her! Not even help her, and on the day of my birthday!"

"Eagle, I am sorry. I know that you wanted to see your mother again but, she didn't want you to do that."

Eagle's mind hung by a thread as his horn flared violently. "WHAT!? YOU LIE YOU MONSTER!" Eagle roared as he took the the air in the throne room as he pulled out a tomahawk making it's blade blaze fire. several royal guards came storming in as they flinched back as soon as they saw their captain on a fit of rage.

Celestia took immediate action as she cast a spell surrounding Eagle in a bubble like shield to calm him down. "Eagle please, you have to believe me. I don't want to hurt you than any other way."

"Why should I believe you!" He yelled through the bubble. "What proof do you have that proves my mother didn't want me to see her!" He demanded in a dark tone as a dark aura started to slither out of his eyes. Celestia's eyes shrank as she gave a heavy sigh.

Forgive me cousin. Celestia apologized in her head as she gave a heavy sigh. She released Eagle from her barrier as she gestured him to follow. The dark aura from Eagle's eyes vanished as he followed his aunt, he was lead into Celestia private quarters as she reached into a lock box. She pulled out an aged letter, it was tanish brown and was partially burnt around the edges, but it didn't affect the actual file. She levitated it to Eagle as he swiped the paper and looked it over. "This was from your mother, she didn't want you to see this, but it seems I have no choice." Eagle raised an eyebrow as he read his mother's letter, his eyes shrunk as he nearly fainted and sat on the floor from immense shock. He took multiple deep breaths as Celestia sat by his side. "Eagle, deep breaths, try and calm down. Here, try this." Celestia placed her hand on her chest as she inhaled, and exhaled as she released her hand away from her chest.

Eagle had copied Celestia's exercise as he felt only slight tad recovered. He stared at the paper again. "... I need to be alone for a while." He said as he stood up and walked outside to Celestia's balcony. He stood on the hand rail as he looked down. He took a deep breath and skidded some dust off the balcony.

"Wait!" Eagle turned around to find Celestia in small tears. "Eagle, can you forgive me?"

"Maybe. To me, you have a five percent chance, but it's something. Oh and Auntie..." Celestia looked up to Eagle as he took a deep sigh. "Thank you." Eagle said as he jumped off the balcony and snapped open his wings, gliding towards the training grounds. Celestia started to weep only a tin amount as she heard her door creak open. She turned to find Sole peaking through the door as she soon revealed her spying head.

"Princess, what happened?" She asked her leader as she pulled out her spear from her back and checked around the perimeter for any enemy. "Who was here?"

"Sole, stand down." She did just that as she reapplied her spear on her back.

"What happened?" She walked around and found a feather on the floor, it was light brown and sharp as an eagle. Wait a minute... "Princess, was Eagle in here?"

"Yes, he and I had a talk." Sole sat down next to the marble white princess as she wrapped a arm around her shoulder.

"Why does he hate you so much?"

Celestia hiccuped through her tears as Sole took out her handkerchief and wiped Celestia's eyes. She sniffed and cleared her through to try and get through her depressing fog. "Thank you..." She took a deep breath as she faced Sole. "About Twenty years ago, when Eagle was at the age of-" Suddenly, a bolt a lightning stuck Celestia's balcony as Princess Luna appeared in front of them with a look of anguish.

"Dear sister, you will not tell Eagle's story. For it is his to tale." She shouted at the top of her royal voice as Sole covered her ears in pain. "Eagle will tell his story at his own time, even if it must take thousands of years. He will be ready when he feels ready." The room started to crack as bits of stone started to fall from Luna's canterlot voice. "For if you tale thy Eagle's tale then I will smite you down with my power, it is Eagle's choice on who to tell it to. Or may I remind you of your secrets." Luna roared as she glared into her sisters eyes that made her wince back a little.

"Alright, I'm sorry Sole but you're going to have to ask him. Though I must warn you, only the royal family knows of his tale, even Prince Obsidian. If he doesn't want to tell you then you must respect his choice."

Sole saluted towards her leader as she smiled. "Yes princess. I'm going to ask him now."

"If you are really certain, but be cautious. He could be unstable."

"I know, but he needs a friend." Sole said as she quickly left the room only to leave the two sisters sighing in relief.

"You realize that you may have put Eagle in a sense of slaughter, you do know of this right sister?" Luna cautioned Celestia as she gave a heavy sigh.

"If it's the only way to balance his mind and for him to give forgiveness, then I have no choice." Celestia said as she remembered the conflict in her throne room. "I sense something Luna, inside him, molding." Celestia said as she gulped and dropped a single sweat bullet.

"What, what is it?" Luna asked raising an eyebrow.

"His power, it was.... unnatural. Not in pony or anything else I've seen."

"Could he have learned this on his travels?"

"I have know idea Luna, it's the only theory we have." Celestia said looked out her balcony only to see nothing but a feather Eagle had left behind.

Author's Note:

Yep, another chapter. Sorry for the slow updates but school's like a pain in the flank. Anyways, like I've said before, I apologize fore any grammar or spelling errors.