• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 31,328 Views, 2,270 Comments

The Memoirs Of A Reality Jumper - Techogre



Alex has been lost for a life time. Can he make a life in Ponyville?

  • ...
157
 2,270
 31,328

PreviousChapters Next
6 - Rolling in my new home

Dash and I made our way to the town hall. Although I did get a few glances, there was no panic, no screams, and, much to my pleasure, a few polite nods.

When we got to the message board, I discovered Dash was right about slim pickings. There were only three choices: a single room above the joke shop, a one-bedroom apartment with a shared bathroom, and a cottage. I quickly made my mind up and took the oldest flyer down. “The cottage. That's the winner. Let's go check it out.” We looked at the address.

Dash was excited, “Hey, that's close to where I have my house, and the rent is good. I wonder if it's... nah... It must be one of the cottages at the bottom of the hill. Hah, lucky for you, I class up any neighbourhood I'm in.” She flashed me her trademark confident grin, and we headed out.

Dash pointed out her cloud house, which was not far from our destination. It was... ok, how do I describe Dash's house? The best I can do is a Salvador Dali painting of a Greco-Roman temple. In 3D. With rainbows. Don't get me wrong, it was stunningly beautiful, especially in the late afternoon sun, but it made my eyes hurt to look at it.

We made our way to the cottage to check it out. It was not, in fact, one of the lower cottages. It was at the top of the hill, and not a great place. The outside walls needed a coat of paint or three, there was a broken door window, and the roof needed to be re-shingled before winter. On the bright side, the foundation looked solid from the outside, and aside from some junk that had come in from the broken window, it looked clean. Dash looked in through the loft window and said it looked okay.

Dash settled down beside me after helping me inspect the cottage. “What a flank hole. That place needs to be burned to the ground before it's good enough to be condemned.”

I grinned, “This will be perfect! I see so much potential here.”

She looked at me with concern and put her hoof on my arm, “Are you sure, Alex? It's gonna take a lot of work and bits to get it up to reasonable shape. I mean, I know you're swimming in bits, but still...”

I put my hand on her hoof and looked at her, “Miss Rainbow Dash, I truly appreciate your concern, but this will give me something to do,” I put my hands on my hips and looked at the wreck of a building, “and time to think. I'm going to be here a very long time, and I want to spend some time deciding what I'm going to do. No better way than building a home.” I smiled happily at my soon-to-be new house.


Dash and I entered the Carousel Boutique. I was happy with my choice, and Dash was sure I made a mistake. I was greeted by Rarity and Applejack sitting at the table with cups of tea, just looking at me with knowing smiles and with, I don't know how else to describe it, but bedroom eyes.

Rarity broke the silence, “The gallant knight returns.”

I was confused. Dash's expression went from confused to, again, that weird appraising look directed at me.

Applejack added, “That was mighty neighbourly, what you did.”

Dash turned to her friends, “And get this, he knew ponies are way stronger and tougher than him, and he did it anyway. He stood right there between Scoots and Coins. It was awesome.” She giggled, “Old Coins didn't know what was going on! That sour horse apple took off like a rat!”

I pinched the bridge of my nose, “Please, don't make a big deal out of it. All I did was let my daddy instincts take over before my brains could stop me.” I gestured to Dash, “She's the real hero here. She was there in a flash! By the time I got there, it was all over. As far as I'm concerned, she was the Lone Ranger, I was Tonto.” I was greeted with blank stares. “Batman and Robin?” Still nothing. “Cupcake and Sprinkles?” That worked. I smiled and tapped Dash on the shoulder, “She's the real hero.”

Dash blushed, “Hey, what's a cupcake without sprinkles?”

I then did something I had not done in a very long time. I blushed. I actually blushed. I literally couldn't remember the last time I blushed. It was a release, like years of repressed blushes suddenly all jumping to my cheeks at the same time. It felt good. It felt... cleansing. And it was over as fast as it had happened.

Before they could start stroking our egos again, I stood straight, clapped my hands, smiled and declared, “So, change of subject. Rarity and Applejack, how am I fixed for spending money?”

Applejack tilted her hat back a little, “Well, sugarcube, you might have a few bits to throw around. Now, this here is just an estimate, and it'll take months to turn it all to bits, but we reckon at current market prices, you're looking at north of seventy-six million bits, less our share. We'll get a more exact number later on. To get ya started, me an Rarity scraped together about two thousand bits. That should keep you for the first two or three weeks. Oh, and expect to spend about half on food this time of year.”

I blinked a few times, “Well, if you can only get that much,” I stopped their protests, “I'm kidding! I'm joking! That's... that's... wow...” I sat heavily cross-legged on the ground and said quietly, “Thank you, guys. I don't know what to say. But I'm making you guys two promises.” I started counting off on my fingers, “I will not sit around eating grapes and getting fat. I will use this to provide something this community needs. I will use this to help those who can't help themselves.” I thought for a moment, “Wait, that was three. No worries, pretend I said three.”

Applejack gave me another appraising look, “That sounds like a mighty fine set of goals.”

Rarity nodded at Applejack's comment, then put her glasses on her nose and referred to some papers. She smiled, “I have some contacts in Canterlot for the metals who are agreeable to our needs. As for the jewellery and the jewels, well, there was not much we could do. The shape is all wrong, and they would have to be modified. As for the style, I'm afraid the current fashion is more,” she seemed to be looking for a nice way to say something, “complex. Finally, I'm afraid to tell you that the stones are simply too small. At best, these would be used to make jewel dust.”

I thought for a moment. “Would Spike like them? He eats gems, right?” Thinking back to earlier today, “We... didn't hit it off. I'm not sure what I did. Anyway, a friendly peace offering?”

Rarity smiled warmly, “I'm sure it was a simple misunderstanding. My little Spiky-wyky is such a dear. I know he will appreciate them.”


Dash and I examined the notice and proceeded to the cottage owner. It was the tailer who greeted us. A nice old unicorn stallion with a blue coat and a fancy coat hanger for a cutie mark. Interestingly, he didn't even bat an eye when I walked in. In a friendly voice, “Are you looking for a new suit, young fellow? I'm afraid I only do ponies at the moment, but my son will be back from Canterlot in a few weeks. He's taking a course on interspecies tailoring. He'll fix you right up.”

“Well, thank you, sir. I'll be sure to come back. But I'm here for the cottage. Am I in the right place?”

“You bet, son. Have you seen it yet?” I nodded, “And you still want it?” I nodded again. “Okay, it's in... monstrously bad shape.” He chuckled at his own joke. “So, it's 250 bits per month, plus last month, plus a 100 bit damage deposit.”

I cocked an eyebrow, “What happened to the last damage deposit?”

“That's all a 100 bits would fix.”

Oy. “And, no issues if I spruce the place up a bit? You know, coat of paint, windows, roof, little things.”

“Knock yourself out, youngster.”

I started counting out coins.

“All right, when do you and your marefriend want to move in?”

Dash blushed and sputtered. I chuckled, “No, we're just friends, and it's just for me.” I smiled a little sadly.

The old unicorn winked, “It's the year 1004 son, I don't judge.”

We finished changing bits for keys and signing papers. I thanked him for everything, and we left. As Dash and I made our way to the cottage, I walked slowly as Dash hovered beside me. I kept staring at the key in my hand, smiling.

“Alex,” she sounded annoyed, “what's the big deal? So you rented a house. Once Applejack and Rarity get converting, you'll be able to buy or build any house you want. I don't get it. What's the big deal?”

I sighed, still looking lovingly at the key, “I haven't had a home for longer than I was alive back 'home', Dash.” I turned to look at her, “This key and this place is the first bit of hope, and I mean real hope, I've had in a very long time.” I took a deep breath, “and you, Dash, you're the first real friend I've had in a very long time. Until now, my 'friends' have just been allies of convenience, always their convenience... “ I stopped, embarrassed. “Sorry, I shouldn't be dumping on you. You just meet me, and I'm sounding like... well, never mind. Forget I said anything.” I angrily shoved the key into my pocket, upset at myself for slipping, and started walking faster. It was just so damn easy around her. I felt so comfortable.

I felt a hoof on my shoulder. I stopped. “Alex, you're right, we are new friends, but we're friends. I know you've had some weird times, and this is the first place you can... decompress. I mean, if you're still doing this next year, well then, you're being whiny,” She smiled warmly, “but, for now, you're my friend, and friends listen.” her smile changed to her confident smirk, “also, it doesn't hurt that you're fairly cool.”

Once again today, I blinked, processing what I had heard, then smiled wearily, “Thanks, Dash. I guess I have too much cynicism and not enough faith.” I smirked and pointed a finger at her, “But for the record, you're the coolest, and you know it.” We both chuckled at the ego-stroking and kept going.


It was getting late in the day when we got to the cottage—a few hours had not improved it. Inside, it was a little musty, and some junk was inside the broken window. The main room was big and took up most of the lower floor. There was a small kitchen and bathroom, and the stairs led to a nice open loft.

Dash helped me open the windows to clear the air. It was getting dark, and I was getting hungry. We then went out to grab a bite, on me, of course.

Looking at the menu, I asked Dash, “Would you like the steamed vegetable and flower stir fry? That's what I'm having.”

She looked at the menu and choked, “Are you nuts? That's 50 bits!”

I looked at her, shrugged, and smiled, “So? I'm rolling in it and...” I looked down shyly, “I wanted to thank you. Thank you for taking a whole day out for me. I appreciate everything you've done, Dash, so the least I can do is buy you a nice dinner, and I promise,” I put my left hand on my heart, right hand up in the air, “no bread.” We both snickered at that and had a lovely meal.


In the early evening coolness, we returned to what I now thought of as 'my place'. Amazingly, it had still not magically improved. I commented that I needed a musical montage to speed things up. Dash looked at me weirdly, then smirked, “You're weird, Alex.” Seemingly realizing what she said, “But in a good way.” Relieved that she had caught herself in time, we said our goodbyes.

I called 'home' and gave Ann an update, reassuring her this was the real deal. Everyone here was so nice, and even the one 'villain' I met today was, at worst, a rude twit. Dan would not be home for about three weeks my time, so he'll have lots to catch up on. My daughter asked where all the ponies were, and I had to explain they had all gone to bed, but they would be back in a little while. She accepted that and trundled off to do all the things little girls do. I wished Ann good night and logged out.

I thought about that wonderful gift Reed Richards had given me. While he couldn't get me home, at least he could allow me a fairly standard internet connection back home with what was essentially a self-repairing laptop with its own power supply. When I was 'surfing' it connected for fractions of a second. It was good enough to send emails, read the news, browse the web, and stuff like that. While I was connected with Skype, the two universes temporarily synced, but it was limited to about half an hour at a time. Even if I disconnected and reconnected right away, the universes would 'spring' back to their normal time ratios while disconnected. You couldn't cheat the system. And here, it meant that each day in Equestria equalled about 10 minutes back 'home'. The time difference meant the exchange of information was mostly one way. Not much happens in about 10 minutes. It also meant that Ann and the kids were sleeping for about two months at a time.

I laid out my bedroll and reflected on the day's events; made good friends, made an enemy, and made a home. It's been a good day.

PreviousChapters Next