• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,071 Views, 112 Comments

Thirty Minutes of Fabulosity - Esle Ynopemos



A collection of short stories and vignettes featuring everyone's favorite fashionista.

  • ...
3
 112
 2,071

5: Seeing Things [Romance]

((Prompt: Your mind makes it real.))

Did she just…

No, don’t be silly, Fluttershy. This is your friend Rarity. She’s not the sort of pony who’s into that. I don’t even think she likes mares like that. You’re just seeing—

Princesses, she did it again! She winked at me! Right at me!

It was at me, wasn’t it? Is there anypony behind me? No, just this fern. She couldn’t have been winking at the fern, could she? I suppose it is a nice fern, who am I to try and stop her from winking at it?

"Oh, I’m sorry, what did you say, Rarity?"

Oh, pay attention, Fluttershy! She was talking to you, and you were too busy staring at that fern to notice!

…Lunch? That sounds nice. But wait… does she mean to ask if I want to go with her to get lunch, or with her to get lunch? That… would also be nice, but if I don’t know which it is, I don’t know how anxious I should or shouldn’t be! And not knowing will make me even more anxious, and I’ll start breathing too much and I’ll pass out and spill my soup all over the front of her dress!

Pay attention, Fluttershy! She’s waiting for an answer!

"I… um…"

Not working. It’s all squeaks. C’mon, Fluttershy, you can do this. If you can’t use your voice, then nod your head.

Too much nodding. Ow, my neck.

Oh, look, she’s smiling. That’s good, right? Of course it’s good. Rarity smiling is always good!

But is it a ‘my friend is coming with me to get lunch’ kind of smile, or is it a ‘my new fillyfriend is coming with me to get lunch’ smile? Oh my gosh, am I a fillyfriend now? I don’t know if I’m ready to be anypony’s fillyfriend! I’d make a terrible fillyfriend! Why did I nod my head? Now Rarity is stuck going out with somepony who can’t even tell if she’s a fillyfriend or not!

What’s that, Rarity?

I mean, "What’s that, Rarity?"

"No, nothing’s the matter. It’s very nice of you to ask, though. You’re so nice, Rarity."

Good going, Fluttershy. Now you have Rarity worried about you! She was just smiling, and now she isn’t, because you’re over here frowning over whether or not you’re her fillyfriend now.

Pony up, Fluttershy. A good fillyfriend doesn’t sit there making Rarity all worried about you because you look worried. A good fillyfriend figures things out herself, so she doesn’t look worried anymore. A good fillyfriend isn’t afraid to find out if she’s a fillyfriend or not.

"Actually, Rarity… I think I need to ask you one question."

Ah, she’s looking at me! Words! Where did the words go?

Focus. Breathe.

Too much breathing. Head fuzzy. Slower breaths.

"I just would like to know… just to be sure… if by out to lunch you mean…"

Back up, Rarity. What did she just say?

Was that, indeed, the precise words she used? Those words exactly, in that order? With that inflection?

Is she… is she blushing?

Celestia, that’s cute.

Well, I don’t think that was what I meant to say, but looking at her now…

"As a matter of fact, darling, yes. Yes, that was exactly what I meant."

Author's Note:

This one also didn't make it into TMP. Technical problems with Tumblr to blame this time.