• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 4,474 Views, 219 Comments

Time to go - MasterHunter55



Getting everything you ever wanted, doesn't mean your life is free of problems. Hunter is taken to another world by a familiar unicorn, and the fun, or should I say strife, begins.

  • ...
29
 219
 4,474

Chapter 19: Proximity

Time to go
Chapter 19
Proximity

“Excuse me miss,” Nurse Tenderheart said, waking Rainbow Dash, who was still sleeping on the back of the chair. “I don't know how you got in, but visiting hours aren't scheduled to start for another hour.”

Rainbow Dash rubbed her eyes, and then her aching hooves, realizing that she had been sleeping on them all night. She turned to Nurse Tenderheart, and said, “I've been here all night, what's another hour?”

“You're lucky you're so well known around here Rainbow Dash, or I would have called the cops on you.” She said, checking a few monitors and replacing Hunter's I.V.

“It's getting harder and harder to care for a friend these days.” Rainbow Dash said, yawning.

“Fine you can stay here,” Nurse Tenderheart said, “He just seems to me that he's more of a friend to you.”

Rainbow Dash would have blushed if she hadn't been so tired, so her eyes just widened after Nurse Tenderheart left. Rainbow Dash nodded and wiped the rest of the sleep from her eyes. She looked at the bed, Hunter was still as calm as ever, laying with his arms still at his sides, monitor patches all over his upper body.

That ever present smirk still on his face. Dash was tempted to wake him up, just to try and wipe that smile off his face. As if reading her mind, Hunter's eyes flew open suddenly. He had gained consciousness at the closing of the door, and his sudden eye opening made Rainbow Dash jump slightly at how creepy it was. Hunter let out a sigh, blinking at the lights.

His eyes drifted to a half open state, and he looked over at Rainbow Dash sitting on the right side of his bed. Had she stayed the whole night?

“Good morning.” Hunter said, letting out a yawn. “How long have you been here?”

“I just got here actually,” Rainbow Dash lied. “They let me in early.”

“Nice to know you care.” Hunter said with a smile.

Rainbow Dash was awake enough now to blush slightly, “Yeah, well.” She coughed. “Ya know, just being a good neighbor is all.”

Hunter suddenly broke eye contact, and took a moment to look at his surroundings, looking somewhat confused. Pinkie really knew her balloons, because the ones she used to decorate the room were still grappling with the ceiling.

The machines that lined the left side of his bed, continued to whir and blip. He looked down at his arms, and stared for a moment at the little white patches with wires hanging from them.

“I didn't really mind it,” Hunter said to himself quietly. “I was just in it for the science.”

“What are you mumbling about now?” Rainbow Dash asked sleepily. Bill Neigh opened the door slightly, and quietly, expecting Hunter to be asleep still. When he saw Rainbow Dash, and Hunter's bed in the sitting up position, he opened the door wide.

“Him though.” Hunter said, finishing the reference.

Bill Neigh didn't even want to know what he meant by that. He walked over to the machines, flipping a switch and pressing a few buttons on the largest of the bunch. A printer of some kind within the machine, started feeding paper out of the thin slot. It seemed a lot shorter than Bill Neigh expected, and he released a sigh.

“Well,” The professor said, “All your results seem to show up as normal, from a unicorn, and a pegasus stand point.”

Bill Neigh seemed really disappointed that his one chance at alicorn study had gone without any results. “Don't feel bad,” Hunter said, “I'm not your run of the mill Alicorn, so even if you did get some results they wouldn't be accurate.”

This seemed to make him feel a little better. “If you say so, maybe someday I'll get one of the princesses to sit down for some scientific research. Then I can get some conclusive results.”

“Good luck with that.” Hunter said, smiling.

“Right,” Bill Neigh, “Well thank you for cooperating anyways.”

A couple of Nurses entered the room and disconnected the machines from the wall, and from Hunter. They wheeled the machines from the room, leaving Hunter and Rainbow Dash to their quiet breathing. Hunter tried sitting up quickly, and instantly regretted it. His head swam, and he fell back onto the bed, looking at all the pretty stars.

“Are you okay?” Rainbow Dash asked, jumping from the chair, and holding Hunter's head up with he hooves. Hunter chuckled weakly, “I'm alright.”

Rainbow Dash laid Hunter on the bed, “I'll find you some breakfast, you must be starving.”

Hunter closed his eyes as he heard the door close, as Rainbow Dash left the room. “Hey, what's it gonna take to get a patient his breakfast around here?” Hunter heard her say from outside the door, and he couldn't help but laugh.

><><

“Michael.” Trixie said sweetly, “Michael wake up.”

Michael shifted slightly, and opened his slightly. He had slept great, a cloud couch was still clouds.

“Good morning,” Michael said groggily, sitting up and putting his arms in the air as he yawned. “Did Hunter make it back since last night?”

“No.” Trixie said, “He still in the hospital I suppose. Now it's time for you to wake up, with Hunter and his cooking gone, I decided to whip up a quick breakfast.”

Michael looked over the back of the couch, to see some bowls of what looked to be oatmeal on the table. “Simple, just how I like it.”

“Glad to hear it.” Trixie said, taking a seat at the glass table, and starting on her oatmeal. Michael jumped over the side of the couch, and took the seat opposite Trixie at the table. He started on his oatmeal, and it was actually quite tasty. Not super fancy, like what Hunter seemed to make every morning, but it was simple. Simply tasty.

They ate their bowls of oatmeal without much talk, but Trixie seemed to smile a lot. Michael took the dishes to the sink when they had finished eating and rinsed them out. He wondered what happened to the extra bits of food that went down the sink.

Trixie stood in the middle of the living room, she looked a little lost. “So what's the plan for today?” Michael asked, walking from the kitchen.

“Well, I was going to look for a house today, but seeing as how nopony here would sell to me in their right mind, I was wondering...” Trixie trailed off, looking at the ground.

“You could just stay here I guess.” Michael said, and was suddenly in the air, being held aloft by Trixie. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Trixie squealed, bringing the dragon into another hug. She set him down after a second before continuing, a look of determination on her face. “I'm going to need a job though, I don't want to seem like some freeloader.”

“Right,” Michael said. He thought for a moment, and realized he was in the same situation, Hunter had a job, but what could he do? He decided that chores were going to have to be the solution, no matter how much he didn't like it. “How can you get a job, if nopony will sell you a house?”

Trixie hadn't thought of that, and she sat down on the floor with her head hung. “Oh yeah,” She mumbled.

“Why don't we try to get you a job anyways?” Michael asked, lifting her chin. “Raise up that pretty head of yours up high, we have work to find.”

Trixie smiled and stood up tall, puffing out her chest. “You're absolutely right! I can do whatever job those ponies throw at me! I 'am' the great and powerful Trixie after all!”

“That's the spirit!” Michael said, “Might wanna tone it down on the 'great and powerful' thing though.”

“Right.” She said, as she opened the front door, and stepped outside. It was another glorious day in Ponyville, and she wasn't going to waste it! Michael jumped out after her and landed on her back, “Do you mind?” Michael asked.

“Not really,” Trixie responded. “Though I must say, I've never been ridden by a dragon before.” Trixie said winking.

“Oh god,” Michael thought to himself, “She's perfect.”

“Then let's ride!” Michael yelled, and Trixie reared up, teleporting to the ground. As soon as she was on the ground, she started galloping towards town.

><><

Hunter opened his eyes to see Rainbow Dash entering the room, holding a tray of hospital food.

“I managed to rustle up some breakfast for you.” She said, setting it on his lap.

“Oh joy.” Hunter joked quietly, “hospital food.”

“I know it isn't exactly high class,” Rainbow Dash said, “But you're going to need your strength back so you can get to cloud busting.”

Hunter looked at what she had brought him. A bowl of what looked to be oatmeal of some kind, an apple, and some apple juice. Applejack must get lots of business here. He lifted his arm to grab the spoon so he could shovel the glop into his mouth, but when he tried to grab it his hoof got really shaky and he dropped it.

He didn't think much of it, but when he tried to pick it up a second time, he couldn't even grasp it. He tried a couple more times, his brow furrowed in slight frustration. Sometimes he would pick it up, and it would just shake for a few seconds before simply falling back to the tray.

Hunter moaned in frustration and leaned his head back. “Rainbow Dash.” He said.

“What?” She said, looking up from the colorful tile floor.

“Could you um... Could you...” Hunter said, trying to muster the courage to finish his sentence.

“Could I what?” Rainbow Dash said, wondering why he hadn't started eating yet.

“Could you feed me?” Hunter asked closing his eyes, and holding his breath for her response.

“I... I guess so, why don't you just pick it up and feed yourself?” Rainbow Dash asked, finishing off her apple and throwing it in the nearby garbage can.

Hunter showed her how he was unable to get a grasp on the utensils. “Oh.” She said, then she grabbed the spoon, and taking a spoonful of the glop, she put it up to his face. “Open wide, here comes the pegasi!” She giggled.

“Har har,” Hunter chuckled, “Can I keep some of my dignity please?”

“Of course, of course,” Rainbow Dash laughed, “Just as soon as I have to stop treating you like a baby.”

Hunter grabbed the food with his mouth and laid back to chew and swallow. “Thanks Rainbow Dash,” He said, “For taking care of me like this, I could have some nurse do it, but I would really rather have a friend do it.”

Rainbow Dash took another spoon full of oatmeal and held it up to his face, “No more mushy stuff until you've finished your mushy stuff.” Rainbow Dash said, chuckling.

Hunter opened his mouth for another round of chewing. This continued for a good ten minutes until the bowl was empty. Then Rainbow Dash crushed the apple between her hooves, splattering juice everywhere, but effectively splitting the apple into pieces.

She fed the chunks of apple into Hunter's mouth until the whole thing was gone. Then she brought the juice up to his face tilting it slowly so that he could drink it slowly. Eventually the entire breakfast was gone, and Hunter laid back on his bed. Now somewhat filled, he was getting sleepy again, considering that it was still morning, and he usually liked to sleep in.

“You gonna stay here and watch me all day?” Hunter asked Rainbow Dash as his eyes grew heavy.

“Somepony has to take care of you.” She responded.

“Right,” Hunter responded closing his eyes. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Rainbow Dash said, “We get today off again anyways.”

Hunter smirked at this, “What an easy job.” He said quietly, as he drifted off again.

Soon Hunter was asleep, so Rainbow Dash moved herself to the couch that was set into the wall. She spread herself out on it, and dozed off.

><><

Skull Trap awoke, the same darkness as ever filled his vision. He slid himself off the rock and felt that his dark powers had grown. They were always building, and it was just as he planned. He would have to leave the cave sometime, his dark powers would only reach their greatest heights when he had absorbed some sentient beings. Like ponies.

He gathered all of his components, and put them inside of a bag that had been resting against the desk rock. He started his journey towards the surface. He was ready, it was time. The ponies would once again know fear, and he knew right where to start. He had used his dark magic to scout the surface of the ever changing plains of Equestria. There was a small town, right on the way to Canterlot, the royal city. This was perfect.

His plan had been to absorb a few hundred essences before he faced that infuriating Princess Celestia, but he had assumed that he would have to draw her out. Seeing as how this town was basically on the way, he could meet her halfway to Canterlot.

He continued to kill things on the way to the surface, and as he ventured on, he eventually started killing things like plants, and deep roots. The trees these roots were connected to would shrivel in a few days. He could feel the essences of creatures touched by light begin to fill up his dark power. Killing anything beautiful, or of the light, just brought about more darkness.

This is what Skull Trap wanted, to replace all things light, with utter dark. He eventually reached a part of the cave where light began to shine through. He didn't falter for a second, the spell he cast on his vision kept him from being blind at all. Whether it be pitch black darkness, or the light of the full on sun.

He reached the mouth of the cave, and he gazed out upon the green and colorful life. Disgusting. He walked into the light of day and breathed in the air. It smelled like something unfamiliar, a sweet scent. Disgusting. Now that he can actually be seen, I should probably describe him.

This couldn't be right, how could someone with such an ugly soul, be so gosh darn good looking?

He stepped into the light, and his clean cut, jet black mane shone in the sun. The fact that his coat was jet black just seemed natural considering his disposition. His cutie mark? He didn't have a cutie anything. He had a symbol, of hate, and revenge on his flank. If you were to look at it, you wouldn't think it looked like anything, but to someone who hasn't seen anything his whole life, it was the symbol of resentment.

He had a beard, clean cut, and bold. His chiseled features matched his face with his muscular body. His Master had not had him spending his days, wasting away below the surface. His eyes were a deep, captivating, black color. If you hadn't really noticed, everything about this guy was black. He placed his black cloak's hood over his head, and started walking towards Canterlot. Sure it would take a week, but the lives of the woodland creatures he absorbed on his way would be well worth the hike.

He started mixing ingredients in a small bowl and started crushing them with a smooth rock. As he walked the birds would stop singing, and noise within the vicinity would stop. Not because the animals sensed some dark presence, but because the dark presence would kill them on the spot, with no warning. With one moment a bird would be on a branch, singing it's tune and the next it would be on the ground, trod upon by Skull Trap's heel.

He was preparing on the go. Soon nopony would be able to stop him.

Yadda yadda, the dark would rise again.

><><

“I can't believe every business in the town square turned you away.” Michael said, kicking a rock as he walked beside a very down trodden Trixie.

“I knew that they wouldn't.” Trixie said, “I'll never be able to do anything around here after what I did last time.”

“Oh yeah,” Michael said, recalling the alicorn amulet. “That's probably a big factor.” Then he thought for a moment, looking at Trixie as she walked slowly, with her head hung low. “What if you went and apologized to everypony?”

“Apologized?” Trixie said, her head popping up. “I don't think anyone would accept my apology after how I acted.”

“It isn't about getting them to forgive you.” Michael said, “It's about getting it out there, giving them the chance to forgive you in the first place.”

“I suppose you're right,” Trixie said, “I can't say I'm going to enjoy this.”

“You'll be fine,” Michael said, “I'll be here with you every step of the way.”

Trixie gave Michael a smile and they walked back into town, “Let's go see Twilight first.”

“Do we have to see 'her' first?” Trixie moaned.

“Might as well get the hardest out of the way first.” Michael explained as they turned the corner and saw Twilight's tree in the distance, “I'm sure she'll be plenty forgiving.”

They walked the last few yards in silence, and Michael knocked on the door when they arrived. Trixie just hung her head and stared at the ground as Spike opened up the door halfway.

“Hey Michael,” Spike said, “What's up?”

“We need to talk to Twilight,” Michael said, “It's important.”

“We?” Spike questioned, opening the door the rest of the way, revealing Trixie. “Oh my. I guess you can come inside. I'll let Twilight sort this one out.”

Michael led Trixie into the middle of the library where she sat, staring at the floor, her ears drooping.

“I feel sick.” Trixie said.

“That's normal.” Michael said.

Twilight walked into the main library room and was taken aback slightly by Trixie's presence. “What ever happened to leaving Ponyville forever?” Twilight asked, a frown on her face.

“Trixie isn't here to bring up old scars.” Michael said, “She just wants to talk.”

“Oh yeah,” Twilight said, taking a seat. “This should be good.”

There was a moment before Trixie let out a sigh, and Michael put a hand on her shoulder.

“I'm sorry.” Trixie said, her eyes closed and her head still hung.

“What?” Twilight said, more surprised than anything else.

“I'm sorry.” Trixie said lifting her head to meet Twilight's gaze. “I'm sorry I terrorized Ponyville. I'm sorry I was a monster, I'm sorry.”

Trixie looked like she was about to cry again and Twilight just sat in front of her, speechless. Apologizing was the last thing she expected Trixie to do.

“You think that you can come in here and expect Twilight to forgive you, after the way you treated her and her friends? After you tried banishing her from Ponyville?” Spike said, crossing his arms as much as his voice was cross.

“I don't.” Trixie said. “I just wanted to apologize, I don't expect you to forgive me. Come on Michael, let's go, I knew they wouldn't listen.” She stood up and walked towards the door, her head returning to it's lowered state.

“Wait just a minute.” Twilight spoke up, trotting over to the door. “I can't let you leave without something warm to drink. It's a bit chilly outside. Why don't you get some of that Hot Chocolate Hunter brought with him, Michael, I have some in my cupboards, Spike knows where it is.”

As Spike and Michael ran to the kitchen, Trixie brought her head up, her eyes wide with surprise, and Twilight put her hoof on her shoulder. “I forgive you.”

“What?” Trixie said, tears welling up in her eyes.

“I forgive you Trixie,” Twilight said, “I know you've done some bad things in the past, but that doesn't make you a bad pony. Coming to apologize is the biggest thing a pony can do. So, I forgive you.”

Trixie's tears hit the wood floors with a thud. “I don't deserve it.” She said, falling to the floor. “I don't deserve to be forgiven like this. You should hate me, and you don't. Why are you forgiving me?”

“This just makes me think you deserve my forgiveness even more.” Twilight said, putting her hooves around her, and picking her up off the ground. “Now come have some Hot chocolate, it's delicious.”

Twilight brought the vulnerable Trixie into the kitchen and sat her down at the table. Handing her a mug with some chocolaty goodness. She sipped it and immediately she started to calm down. The warmth of the drink reminded her of Michael's embrace, and she quickly grabbed Michael by the arm, sitting him on her lap while she sipped from the mug.

Twilight giggled at the sight of it, and went back to her newly christened computer room. She started up a word document and started typing.

“Another day, another friend I suppose.” Twilight thought, as she created the heading.

Dear Celestia,
Today I learned...

Author's Note:

Sorry guys, but this chapter is a little shorter.

This is because I really couldn't think of anything more to do in one day.

Considering that, I went back to Hunter and Rainbow Dash twice, had to check on Michael and Trixie twice, and I had to go check back on my villain, I was really running out of filler.

Wait what? This isn't filler, this is all full of important plot devices and such.