• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 4,474 Views, 219 Comments

Time to go - MasterHunter55



Getting everything you ever wanted, doesn't mean your life is free of problems. Hunter is taken to another world by a familiar unicorn, and the fun, or should I say strife, begins.

  • ...
29
 219
 4,474

Chapter 13: Speeding

Time to go
Chapter 13
Speeding

Hunter gained consciousness but he didn't open his eyes. First he took in what he could without them, smelling the sweet smell of a day plagued by overcast, feeling the softness of not only his pillow, but his entire bed.

He opened his eyes as he remembered his recent move. He saw above him clouds. He looked left to the wall and saw clouds. He looked to his right and saw his bookcase, just as it was in his original room, floating on clouds.

“Clouds seem to be a recurring thing around here.” Hunter said, sliding off of the bed onto his hooves. He had taken to walking around on all fours despite being in private. He walked to the bathroom and used it, before walking down to the kitchen.

He searched the kitchen to find that food had already filled the cupboards. He couldn't help but feel his kitchen was empty without a fridge. He found peanut butter and some flowers, for eating apparently. Then he noticed the cupboard with the pancake mix in it.

He took out the mix and found what looked to be a grill. He turned it on, and found a small cloud cupboard that seemed to be colder than the rest of the cupboards, that hung above the sink. It contained the eggs, jams, and syrups. So he had a kind of fridge after all.

He removed his new found syrup from the 'fridge' and saw that the grill was steaming. He put some eggs on it while he whipped up some pancakes. He heard an “Ow!” From Michael's room, and in a moment the dragon was in the living room, visible from the gap in between the cupboards.

“Having scale trouble again?” Hunter asked, as he frantically looked for a spatula. He should have found that first. “I guess you could say that.” Michael replied holding his tail. He let it dangle and moved it around, trying to get a feel for it, so that he could keep it out of the way as easily as breathing.

“I see you've already started up breakfast.” Michael said, seeming like more of a question than a statement. “That I have,” Hunter said, scrambling the eggs with the plastic spatula he found in one of the drawers. “Pancakes and eggs.”

“I would kill for some bacon right now.” Michael said, sitting on the couch in the front room.

“Then you'll have to go kill a pig and make it yourself.” Hunter chuckled, “Because nopony here is going to get some for you.”

“That's right, I have to live the pony diet huh?” Michael asked.

“If it makes you feel better, I can do lots of things with the pony diet.” Hunter said, remembering the potatoes that he had made for Twilight the night they left.

“It's nice having a cook as a roommate.” Michael said, walking into the kitchen, grabbing some plates and silverware from the lower cupboards and drawers.

There was a knock at the door. “I'll get it.” Michael said, quickly setting the plates and things on the table, before running to the door and opening it.

“Oh, hi there. What's up?” Michael asked, offering no explanation as to who was at the door.

Hunter used the plate he had retrieved to put the eggs on, and started the pancakes.

“Is Hunter still here?” Hunter heard a familiar voice say, but it was really quiet from this distance , so he wasn't sure.

“Of course! Come on in, we were just about to have breakfast.” Michael said, stepping out of range of the door to welcome in the guest.

In walked Rainbow Dash, wings at her side and rainbow mane combed neatly.

Hunter turned to look at who it was, and saw Rainbow Dash. So he quickly turned back to flipping his pancakes.

“Hey neighbor!” Rainbow Dash said loudly. “Just thought I'd say good morning, Twilight said I should come check on how you're doing.”

“I'm doing fine,” Hunter said, as he placed the pancakes on the plate with the eggs. Then he thought a moment. “Would you like some breakfast?”

“I would love some.” Rainbow Dash said, “Twilight told me of the food you served her when she went to get you. She said it was awesome.”

“Well, I guess you can judge it for yourself then.” Hunter said, placing the two servings of pancakes and eggs on the table. “You two start eating, I'll have my breakfast done in a second.”

“Search the cupboards and see if we have any ketchup.” Michael said as he spread peanut butter on his pancakes.

“ketchup on pancakes?” Rainbow gagged, “Gross.”

“Not for my pancakes silly.” Michael said, covering his peanut butter pancakes with syrup. “For my eggs.”

“I've never tried that before.” Rainbow said. She had never tried peanut butter on her pancakes either, so she began to spread it on one of them.

“Oh hey, we do have some.” Hunter said, opening the cold cupboard and extracting a red bottle. Hunter read the label. “ketchup, here you go Michael.” Then he tossed it to him.

Michael caught the ketchup and opened it, covering his eggs with it. Rainbow Dash had just taken a bite of the peanut butter pancakes and was resisting the urge to stuff the whole pancake in her mouth. She took the ketchup from Michael and put a little on a small, pile of eggs that she had moved away from the rest of them.

She put it in her mouth, and after a short moment, swallowed. She took a glass of apple juice that had been placed on the table in front of her plate at some point, and chugged. “Gross.” She said, after she finished half her juice.

“Suit yourself,” Michael mumbled. “I like it.”

“I don't.” Rainbow said flatly. “These pancakes are totally awesome though.”

“Thanks,” Hunter said, as he sat at the table. “I don't like ketchup on anything either.”

Hunter took the peanut butter and repeated the same ritual as the other two.

“So what do you usually do in the morning?” Hunter asked Rainbow Dash.

“I usually take a small flight around Ponyville before I eat, I had just finished my flight when I knocked on your door.” Rainbow said between peanut buttery bites. “Then I leave for work.”

“Oh yeah?” Hunter said taking a large bite of pancake. “Cloud busting right?”

“Right” Rainbow said, “Sometimes it takes up a lot of time and effort, which is a real pain, but most of the time it's sunny and we don't have to do much.”

“It must be easy money.” Michael said.

“It sure is.” Rainbow said. “They might as well pay me to lie around on clouds all day.”

“I could sure use a job like that.” Hunter said, hinting slightly.

“There was one opening, if you wanna come check it out.” Rainbow said, having finished her pancakes, she finished off her apple juice. “That was some good breakfast.” She burped, “Excuse me.”

Hunter finished his plate and juice. He sat still for a second before burping even louder. “Excuse me!” Hunter said as he stood up gathering the dirty dishes.

Rainbow Dash laughed. Then Michael out of nowhere burped a louder, and longer, burp. “Excuse me x2” Michael said laughing.

The whole group laughed at Michael's belch. Hunter stopped laughing enough to gather the plates, “Here let me take that for you.” He said, when he grabbed Rainbow's dishes. “Thanks.” She said standing up from the table. “Dragons will always win burping contests. Nopony's beat Spike yet, but you might just have a chance.” She said grinning at Michael.

“Looks like I know what I'll be doing today.” Michael said, as he wiped the table down. Hunter went into the kitchen and dumped all the dishes into the sink. Running water over them before leaving them there.

“Alright so I guess we're set,” Hunter said, “Let's get going shall we?”

“Are you sure you can keep up with me?” Rainbow asked grinning “I wouldn't want to lose you on the way to your job interview.”

“I can keep up,” Hunter said, as if he didn't have anything to worry about. He found his wings to be surprisingly cooperative.

They went out the front door and Michael jumped on Hunter's back.

“Doesn't it bother you to let him ride you like that?” Rainbow asked.

“Not one bit. I don't see why I shouldn't let him, it's not like I think it makes me his workhorse or anything.” Hunter explained.

Rainbow saw his point. “Where to first then?” She asked.

“I guess we better drop Michael off near Twilight's library.” Hunter said.

“Well then,” Michael said, “Let's ride!”

Michael grabbed onto Hunter's mane, and Hunter took off.

“Hey, you aren't getting away from me that easily.” Rainbow Dash said grinning.

Soon Rainbow Dash and Hunter were neck and neck flying over Ponyville. Hunter wasn't racing, but he was going at a good pace. In no time, they were at Twilight's library and he saw that one of her windows was open. When he flew next to it and stopped, he didn't see any activity inside.

He instead flew down to where the door was, and knocked. “Coming!” Hunter heard Spike say before the door opened. “How may I help you?” Spike asked, before getting a good look at the alicorn and dragon standing before him.

Rainbow Dash had stayed in the air and was laying on a cloud, waiting for Hunter to take flight again.

“You must be Hunter and Michael, Twilight was telling me all about you. Come in! Twilight was just making pancakes.” Spike said, ushering them into the library. Hunter saw the labels on the shelves and saw the sci-fi section. Good, some things were still the same, he would have to look at that later.

They walked into the kitchen to see Twilight furiously whipping a bowl of mix, sending batter all over the kitchen. “Twilight!” Hunter yelled.

Twilight stopped mixing “Oh hey Hunter, I was just trying to make some pancakes so that Spike could try them with peanut butter. Unfortunately my attempts thus far, have been messy.”

Hunter took the bowl and the whisk from Twilight's magical grasp and began mixing slowly. He turned her grill down from the hell spawn of heat that she had made it, and poured the now smooth batter onto the sizzling surface.

“You gotta do it slowly, lots of control.” Hunter said, “Don't flip the pancakes until the bubbles disappear from the side you can see, or after you flip it the first time, when you can see steam rising from the pancake.”

“Thanks Hunter,” Twilight said, taking the bowl back. “Would you like to stay for some?”

“Nah,” Hunter said, “I already had breakfast, I'm going with Rainbow Dash to get a cloud busting job. Michael said he wanted to stay here and hang with Spike for a while.”

“Awesome!” Spike punched his fist into the air, “Finally another dragon to do dragon stuff with!”

“Well see that's the thing.” Michael said, “What do dragons do around here anyways?”

As Spike started telling Michael about all the cool stuff they could do, Hunter said goodbye to Twilight, and went back outside. He took off and busted the cloud that Rainbow had been laying on. She fell for a short ways before she caught herself with her wings and floated back up to where Hunter was now laughing quietly to himself.

“Think you're funny huh?” Rainbow asked sternly.

“Yes.” Hunter said flatly.

Rainbow chuckled, “I guess it was an okay prank. You got a lot to learn about pranking though if you're gonna hang with me. What took you so long in there anyways? I was getting bored.”

“Twilight was having trouble with her cooking, so I gave her a few tips before I left.” Hunter explained. “Where to now?”

“Well,” Rainbow began, “We have to go talk to the guy who takes charge of cloud busting in Ponyville. I'm his manager for the town, but it's his choice of who gets employed.”

“So where is this guy anyways?” Hunter asked.

“Cloudsdale.” Rainbow Dash said flatly.

“Sounds far away.” Hunter said.

“A couple miles.” Rainbow Dash grinned.

“Sounds like a good time for a race doesn't it?” Hunter asked, mimicking the grin.

“It sure does.” Rainbow Dash replied. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and dialed a number.

She held it up to her ear and waited as it rang. While this happened Hunter did a few stretches. “Hey, Rainbow Dash here. Yeah, set up an appointment for me, I have a pegasus I need you to meet. Also, set up a finish line down there, cameras and everything. He wants to race me, and I wanna show him whose boss. Thanks.”

Rainbow Dash and Hunter hovered near each other, anticipating the race that was about to unfold. They breathed slowly, waiting for something to set them off. The clock tower rang.

In that moment the space they had been taking up was instantly empty. They flapped their wings furiously, speeding towards Cloudsdale.

Neither of them seemed to get the upper hand on the other, Rainbow Dash paced herself keeping herself next to Hunter so that she could speed ahead of him at the last moment. Hunter sped along not really understanding why Rainbow Dash would hold back. So he sped up, shooting out in front of her, suddenly leaving her in the dust. She saw this and sped up as well, catching up to him in no time.

Hunter realized that she was only keeping herself in line with him for the whole race. She probably thought that he was tired, or getting to that point very quickly. So instead of staying in the super man pose, he positioned himself horizontally in the air, flying backwards while maintaining his speed, and moving his hoof to look like he was yawning.

“Bored huh?” Rainbow Dash said to herself. “Keep up with this!”

She sped off, passing Hunter and creating a large gap. Hunter took off after her, when he caught up he did a couple of flips in the air, she sped up even more, trying to make him struggle. She wasn't struggling herself, she just wanted to know his limits.

He caught up to her again. once again he was horizontal, moving his hind legs as if he was skating on the air, drifting around the trees and bends of the mountain they had arrived at. She flew past him with another boost of power, and he stayed with her this time. They both struggled at this point and cones were forming around them.

Soon the cones broke and they were off.

The combined sonic booms made a dazzling display of Green and Rainbow waves as they rippled across the sky. Rainbow Dash was flying full speed at what was now a very tiny finish line. She looked at where Hunter had been and saw that he was gone. Behind her now no doubt. Then he reappeared, he was flying above, and then below her in circles, creating a beautiful gold line that enveloped her rainbow trail. As they neared the finish line he returned to his original position on her right and pulled back a little, making it look as if he was terribly tired. Then as they sped ahead Hunter only an inch behind, they crossed the finish line.

They but the brakes on hard, and stopped. They noticed that a crowd had gathered for another of Rainbow Dash's races, and had been jumping excitedly at how close it was.

“That was some good flying.” Rainbow Dash said, impressed, “But it wasn't enough to beat me.”

“I'll get you next time,” Hunter said between breaths “Just you wait.”

“We'll see about that.” Rainbow said, walking him into the cloud building. “The guy you wanna meet is right in here.”

They walked into the office, and Hunter saw a muscular pegasus sitting behind it.

“YEEAAAAHHH” Roid Rage yelled. “Now that was a race!”

Author's Note:

Roid Rage just seemed like one to have an office job.

Epic race. Epic race. Epic race.