• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 3,384 Views, 231 Comments

The Riders' Legacy - ZillaBrony13



Eragon traveled to the east of Alagaesia and found something that would change the world as he knew it.

  • ...
17
 231
 3,384

Sailing the Nameless River

Eragon stood at the back of the Talita watching the trees pass on his right and the horizon grow smaller in front of him. Saphira swam beside the boat, the elves were below decks reviewing their plan for settlement, and the Eldunari and eggs sat in chests that were arranged around him. His mind was heavy with thoughts of his friends and family.

He thought of Roran, his cousin although they considered themselves brothers. He thought of Nar Garzhvog, an Urgal chief who had ran with him to the Dwarf city of Farthen Dur. He thought of Orik, his foster brother and king of the Dwarves. Then…he thought of Arya, queen of the elves and the Rider of the green dragon Firnen. She was the only one he had truly loved and yet hadn’t returned his affections until just before they were separated by fate. His heart ached for them all and more as the Talita sailed down the river.

Eragon?” He heard Saphira say. “What is troubling you?

Nothing Saphira.

Your mind tells me a different story, little one. You thoughts are sad and depressed. What is troubling you? You can tell me.

I miss my friends and family.” He muttered.

What?

I miss my friends and family!” He yelled back. Tears threatened to fall as he stood. “We were getting ready to settle down and have a good life when we had to come east! This all seems like some cruel joke played by fate.

I miss them as well. Especially Firnen.” Saphira had taken Firnen as her mate before they had left for the east.

You must learn to forget.” The voice of Umaroth, the dragon of the final leader of the riders before Eragon spoke up then.

You’re telling me to forget them?! After they would have died for me?” Eragon asked in anger and shock.

I am. They are a weakness your enemies could exploit and use against you.

Well then…tell me Umaroth elda.” He spat. “What if I had told you that you had to forget Vrael after you awoke because he was a weakness to you? That you had to forget everyone you had known before your burial. HOW WOULD THAT HAVE MADE YOU FEEL?

Umaroth recoiled from the power of Eragon’s thought speech and the meaning of his words, and then receded back into his Eldunari. “Eragon!” Saphira spoke up once again. “Why would you have said such things to him?

He had every right to.” Glaedr, Eragon and Saphira’s mentor joined them then, his voice emanating from his golden Eldunari. “Umaroth should not have said such things, especially considering what Eragon has gone through in the past few years.

Eragon stood up and went below decks with a mutter of “Going below.” He went into his cabin, pulled out his sword and began to practice. He descended into the trance of battle as he fought imaginary Urgals. Stab-roll-block-slash-kick. His mind cleared as he fought. However there was one emotion he could not get rid of, anger. He was angry at fate for separating him from his friends and family. He was angry at Umaroth for having the nerve to tell him to forget them. Saphira then contacted him.

Eragon, you need to calm yourself. Anger will cause you to do careless things. Meditate on the animals around you. I will observe.

Eragon sighed. As always, her words carried much wisdom. He sat down on the floor and opened his mind. He felt every creature around him, from the fly on his wall to the fish in the river to the forest beside the river. He extended his reach as far as it would go and reached the other end of the forest. Then he felt something strange at the edges of his mental vision.

Saphira? Lend me your strength. I think that I’ve found something.” Her mind melded with his and increased the range of his mental eye. He then beheld a village full of life! Eragon was shocked. He had expected no signs of civilization, but here was a town! And it wasn’t primitive, oh no. He saw signs of a market and a library, though he couldn’t be sure because all he could feel were the inhabitants. The inhabitant’s minds felt human, and yet not. What shocked him the most was that some of the inhabitants were flying without visible means of support. “Do you think they could be an intelligent form of bird?” Saphira asked.

"Only one way to find out.” He focused his mind on one of the flying ones and eavesdropped on its thoughts.

-for Dinky Doo.” He heard the voice say. “Maybe I could make her some muffins when I get home after my route. She’d love that.” The mind then emanated distress. “Oh no! I forgot about my package! I’m gonna be late!” Then the mind flew away.

Eragon was thoroughly puzzled. “What is a muffin?

I don’t know” Saphira was just as puzzled. Eragon noticed another mind, one that held an immense amount of power, and focused on it. Almost immediately the mind recoiled and put up thick mental barriers. Eragon returned to his own body.

At least we know that they aren’t birds.” Saphira said

Do you think we should investigate?

I think so.

Well then we should tell Blodhgarm and the other elves.

“Agreed.” Saphira said. He stood up and walked onto the deck and called out to the elves. The ten warriors stood before him with Blodhgarm, an elf with blue fur covering his entire body, at their head.

“Yes Shadeslayer?” He questioned.

“Saphira and I have found something on the other side of the forest. Dock the boat somewhere and wait for our return.” Eragon ordered.

“Of course, Shadeslayer.”

Eragon went over to the chests and opened the biggest one. The Eldunari glittered as he looked upon them. He pulled out Glaedr’s and Umaroth’s Eldunarya and placed them in his saddlebags. “Umaroth elda?

The white dragon barely acknowledged him. “I’m sorry for what I said. Can you forgive me?

I-I forgive you Shadeslayer. Anger can make the mind do fickle things and that was of those things. Do not allow your anger to control your judgement again.

Yes Ebrithil.

Eragon climbed onto Saphira and waved to the elves as with a mighty flap of her wings, she took flight and soared over the dark forest below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight lay inside her library, reading one of the great works of Starswirl the Bearded. She loved studying him and his works, for he was her idol.

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by a vast and powerful mind touching her own. She quickly threw up mental barriers as Celestia had taught her. But to her surprise, the mind didn’t press the attack. Instead it faded from her mind and left.

She quickly thrust out her own mind and found the mind that had touched hers. She gasped aloud as she beheld the power the mind contained. She then noticed that it was accompanied with 3 other minds and they were headed towards town. She quickly ran out the door and towards Sugarcube Corner. Her friends had to know about this.

Author's Note:

Say hello to the very first Inheritance Cycle/Mlp crossover. If you would like to recommend something put it in the comments below,