• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 18,829 Views, 1,281 Comments

Canine Complications - Wages of Sin



Twilight wakes up after a failed experiment and quickly finds out just how bad it failed. Can she make it as a predator in peaceful Ponyville?

  • ...
56
 1,281
 18,829

Roadblock

It was a few more hours of travel before the group arrived at the edge of the dark forest. No longer cloaked by the treetops, the mountain upon which their destination sat finally became visible.

With no sight, smell, or indication of any kind that the princess or the royal guard were following them, they came to a stop just inside the edge of the forest that surrounded the base of the mountain.

"How are you doing Screwy?" Twilight asked as she helped her down from Pinepaw's back.

"Those herbs madam stripey found helped a little, but I'm still so hungry..." she whined, fully submitting her pride to her hunger. It didn't matter that much though, as her grumbling stomach had betrayed her tough-mare act long-ago.

"Don't worry, even if the pack can't find anything now, we'll get you some food soon." Twilight said, giving her a rub between the ears, perking her up a little.

Twilight ended the rub as Bark Back came up carrying Zecora upon his aptly-named back. 6

The starved mare looked to the newcomers with hope, only to be met with dual shaking heads. Screw Loose looked up, dejected, before turning and heading back in to continue looking for food.

Zecora and Bark Back joined Twilight in examining the mountain.

"While I can help you speak,
To those whom you seek,
I have no good plot
To get through Canterlot.
If we simply walked through the gate,
I fear we'd quickly meet our fate." the striped one poetically announced before looking back into the deep forest,
"None the less, I must confess, waiting here I as-much fear." she finished.

"I must agree mistress." he said, "Remaining here is not an option, but there is little chance of us making it into the pony city as we are, and much less of making it through the city to the night ruler. What do you wish us to do mistress?"

Twilight looked to the faintly glowing city for a minute and then back to the pair, "I don't know yet, but I'll think of someth-"

"Mistress!" a juvenile shouted as he ran up to the trio.

"What is it? Did you find some food?"

"No mistress, we came across some ponies!"

"What did you do then?"

"We backed off, as you said we should, but they ran off screaming and left their cart!"

Gears turned in the lavender wolf's head.

"I have an idea..."


Well and truly exhausted, Zecora and Screw Loose finally rounded the final bend of the winding path up to the majestic city.

As they got close though, an unexpected figure appeared to be blocking passage through the main gate.

"Halt!" the figure shouted revealing himself to be in the armor of the guard as they got closer, "State your destination and cargo!"

The pair stopped their advance, Screw Loose froze stiff, but Zecora calmly nodded.

"I was unaware that inspections were needed, always before has entry been unheeded."

The guard's stony facade only grew colder, "State your cargo and destination or I will be forced to detain you."

"For that there is no reason, we have not committed treason. We are simply bringing wood to a friend, one who has fires he must tend."

"Wood?" the guard asked suspiciously, a eyeing the mares as he spoke. “I’m going to need to verify that that is actually what you have there." he moved towards the cart, lighting his horn.

Zecora's, facade maintained, but Screw Loose's exploded, she began retreating back as the familiar sight of a unicorn with his horn lit, approaching menacingly.

Zecora, pulled of balance by the unexpected retreat, tried to block his path, but had no luck. The stallion captured the mares, cart and all, in a pale glow.

"I would ask that you did not disturb our load, as it was not meant to be opened while still on the road." Zecora feebly added.

With suspicion boiling over, and only emboldened by the zebra's apparent excuse, the guard continued forward.

Releasing his hold on the cart, his magic embraced solely the tarp, tearing it from the cart...

... to reveal a pile of variously sized logs and sticks, some of which spilled off the side of the over-heaped cart, precisely as the zebra mare had said.

The guard's expression twitched to something unreadable, but none the less he backed away.

"Everything seems to be in order here." he said he said flatly, moving aside for the mares to continue foreword into the city.

The pair quickly pulled their cart away, not even slowing down for a rearward glance. For a long while, they trotted in silence down the empty street, taking the main path flanked by the posh shops of lower Canterlot.

Eventually they turned into a random alleyway neatly tucked between a jewelry store and a dressmakers shop.

Zecora unhitched herself and Screw Loose from the cart, before turning to face it.

"We are into the city and hidden away, but for too long we should not stay. The dawn comes and with the fleeing of night, so too will trouble, don't you agree Twilight?"

The cart shuddered, branches spilling from the edges as the pile collapsed, revealing a lavender wolf.

"Yes, the sooner we make it to the castle the more likely we are to get an audience with Luna." She said firmly. Turning to Screw Loose she added, "Sorry Screwy, we'll get you some food as soon as we can, but we need to get moving. If they have guards at the city gate searching incoming traffic, I'm sure there will be heightened patrols within the city as well."

"It was a miracle he did not uncover our guise, I had been almost certain he had seen through my lies..."

"I think it will be ok. Let's just get moving, the faster we get to the castle, the less chance we'll be discovered prematurely." Twilight concluded before hunching down and using her magic to re-bury herself with the fallen branches

Without another word the pair re-hitched themselves and once again entered the street.

...failing to notice the pair of armor-clad pegasi that had aerially tracked them up from the front gate.

Author's Note:

So how 'bout that premier? I like what they did story wise, but the whole "send Twilight back 'cuz she's to important" bit was rather contrived, rushed, and just plain silly given the context...