• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 575 Views, 6 Comments

Headline and the Power of Friendship (Book 1) - Headline



This is the story of Headline: A pegasus who tries to mix an ordinary life with a dangerous concern.

  • ...
4
 6
 575

Ch. 9: Headline's New Job

“Well that did not go well.” Headline said to himself. “I know I may not last long if I do not disguise myself. They will kill me if I do not escape the Assassins as soon as possible.”
Headline went to Rainbow's house which she allowed him to, so that he could plan some way to look for another job without giving attention to himself while the Assassins were around. Of course, Headline did not tell Rainbow Dash why he needed to disguise himself. Then he remembered something.

“Wait, I will use the suit and fedora I bought from Rarity.” Headline said quietly.

“Did you say something Headline?” Rainbow said quickly.

“Oh, nothing.”
With that, he went off quickly to his parents’ home to get the outfit since he was starting to no longer want to stay with the Assassins earlier before finishing basic training. He said hello to his parents and went to grab his outfit and went straight back to his own home.

“O.k. Time to put this on.”
After a few minutes, he was in his outfit and quickly went out to look for his job.

“Now, think, what would I enjoy? Being an Assassin failed, so let's think, I'm still observant, love to know what goes on, and inform others about it. Let's see...o.k. A mere coincidence but that does not happen every day.”
Headline suddenly noticed a wanted poster for another writer/reporter for a newspaper to add to the team.

“Perfect!” Headline said out loud. He quickly galloped inside and went to the front counter.

“What is it?” Said an elder pony who sounded like she did not care.

“I'm here for the writer/reporter job. That is unless it is taken.”

“Noooo, it is nooot.” She said without a care in the world. She quickly dials the manager. “Mr. Ink, you have another pony that wants the job.” Waited shortly for a response and then...

“Alright, bring him upstairs.”

“You may go upstairs now.” She said with no energy what-so-ever.
As he climbed up the stairs he saw amazing awards and pictures of the team and about the newspaper. As soon as he opened the door, he saw even more rewards and a pony sitting at a desk, writing up the approval of tomorrow's paper. He is a blue unicorn with a gray mane. A few seconds later he puts down the pen and looks up.

“So, you want to be a part of Equestrian News do you?” He said with a straight face.

“I believe I have what it takes to be a part of this team and to do my job, sir.” Headline said with honesty.

“I believe you, but I have to make sure you really are true to your word.” Mr. Ink said.

“What do you want me to do, sir?”

“Simple, find a juicy story somewhere in Equestria and send it to me. Here is a notebook and pencil. Oh, nice outfit by the way. Wait, I was stupid enough to not even introduce myself, my name is Mr. Ink and you will call me by that name.

“Understood, and my name is Headline.”

“Nice to meet you Headline, if all goes well we will be seeing each other a lot more.”

“Mr. Ink, Mr. Ink.” A pony outside rushed in. “I want to talk about...”
Suddenly, the pony saw Mr. Ink talking to Headline.

“Who is this?” The pony said with confusion.

“Oh, hi Keybo. This is Headline. He is going to take a test to join Equestrian news.”

“WHAT?” Keybo said with fury.
Keybo is an orange pony with a black-blue mane wearing a sharp vest outfit.

“Now before you get any further upset, I want you to know that I'm asking for another pony because usually a lot of things happen at the same time so we need more then just one reporter, so I'm including another. I thought you knew about the wanted poster.”

“I did, just not this soon.”

“Don't worry about it. You do your job and I'll do mine,”
There was a slight pause. Keybo looked at Headline then back at Mr. Ink.

“FINE!” Keybo said as he slammed the door on them.
Again, another silent pause and then Mr. Ink started to speak.

“Sorry about that, that was Keybo, he has been with us for a long time. However, I have reason to believe he is what is causing us trouble.” Mr. Ink said sadly.

“Why is that?” Headline asked politely.

“How about this, if you get the job I will tell you more, I do not like to tell these things to non-employees.”

“Understandable.” Headline said agreeably.

“Alright, go out there and find me a story, I will give you a week and then come back within that time. If I like it, I will print and write up that story, if not, I will have to say good-bye.”

“This sounds like a job I would like, I will not give up.”

“Man, if I did not have to do an evaluation for everypony that wants this job, I would have given it to you already. However, I do this to make sure.”

“Alright, I'm off.”

“Good luck Headline!”
1 week later, Headline returned with what is to believe, the great story to put up for Equestrian News.

“Welcome back, I suppose you have something for Mr. Ink.” The elderly pony said with little energy. “Mr. Ink, Headline has returned.”

“Bring him up.”
Quickly, Headline went up the stairs and entered the room.

“Well, let's see what you got.”
Headline put down the notebook that had a title, plenty of notes and the final story and the pen he wrote with.

“Let's see...what the?” Mr. Ink said in shock. “How did you get into this?” He suddenly noticed a ticket to the Grand-Galloping Gala hidden in the notes.

“Oh, the ticket? One of my friends had it.”

“Your friend must have known somepony very important.”

“Hah, I never bothered asking her.”

“Who?”

“A friend, her name is Fluttershy.”

“Well, anyway, let's see your final draft. You can wait in here and look around or wait outside. Should not take long.
In fifteen minutes, He had finished reading the story and asked Headline to come back inside.

“Headline.” Mr. Ink said. “I have never, ever, in my time working here, have seen such incredible writing.”

“So?” Headline said anxiously.

“I have no other choice...” Mr. Ink said quietly. “You got the job!”

“Thank you Mr. Ink, you will not regret...”

“Wait a sec.” Mr. Ink said as he looked up at the door. “Stop eavesdropping Keybo!”
Suddenly the door opened and it was Keybo with a face of rage.

“So what are you going to do to me now?” Keybo said angrily.

“What do you mean?”

“Are you going to get rid of me now?”

“Of course not, you will still do reports.”

“But mine were the best!”

“I would like you to stop being jealous because I want to treat you both as equals.”

“I...I am not jealous.”

“I do not wish to be any trouble.” Headline said sincerely.

“Stop trying to sound so great!” Keybo said angrily. “You wish to destroy everything that my family has been through?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I'm talking about... oh! Forget it!” As he slammed the door again.
Quickly, Headline wanted to ask.

“O.k. What is wrong with Keybo?”

“He is just upset that he might lose everything if I do more work for you instead of him.”

“I hope not.”

“Neither do I. Anyway, you got the job so, starting tomorrow, you will begin your first full assignment. Oh by the way, look at that.”
Headline did not even notice but...

“YES, I GOT MY CUTIE MARK!!!” Headline said as he jumped up and down. The cutie mark is a black fedora.

“Glad you got it, so here you go.” Mr. Ink gave Headline a little slip for his fedora that said “Press” on it, so he put it on his fedora and gave him the notebook and pencil he used for the evaluation.

“Thank you and I will see you tomorrow.”

Author's Note:

After the last chapter, I thought well I have had this idea for Healdine for awhile so let's put that into the story. So, he became a reporter. How about that? Now, as for Keybo, I made him up as I went along with the chapter. A rude pony with a jealous issue against Headline. You may have noticed that already. I also added the Grand-Galloping Gala ticket as another moment where Headline was there in the series.