• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 575 Views, 6 Comments

Headline and the Power of Friendship (Book 1) - Headline



This is the story of Headline: A pegasus who tries to mix an ordinary life with a dangerous concern.

  • ...
4
 6
 575

Ch. 4: An Unexpected Job

It has been a year and a half later since that day at the dinner table when File graduated, and Headline has now graduated already. File did not get his cutie mark yet because of interference and jobs that he likes being taken. However, they are both now excited and are looking for a job that would fit their personality. One day, it happened to both of them at the same time and it would change the future they would hold, forever.

“C'mon File. Let's go to Sugarcube Corner.” Headline said eagerly.

“I'm not that interested...Hey! Let's go through this back alley.” File said excitedly.

“I'm not that interested.”

“Oh, don't be such a baby.”

“We have been watching you both.” Somepony said from within the back alley.

“Who are you? Show yourself!” Headline said quickly.

“Don't worry, we are not here to hurt you, but recruit you.”

“Show yourself and then we will talk.” File said.

“Well, I can tell you that you do observe, listen, and think before you act. We like that.” The Mysterious voice said finally showing herself from the shadow, wearing a white tunic and hood over her face. “Here is our card. We want you both to come to this back alley tomorrow at Midnight.” She said as she gave the card to File.

“What do you do?” File asked.

“I can't say here but if you are looking for what you will be doing your whole life, it could be here.” She said as she disappeared into the shadows.

“Can we trust what she said?” Headline asked.

“I'm not sure...” He said looking at the card. “But I'm interested.”
They quickly came home and talked to us about who they met, which they did not get the name but showed us the card that was given to them. My wife and I did not know if we should trust someone who did not even say who they are. It's odd that they came to our sons after they both graduated.

“We can't stop you from what you want to do, but if you realize something is not right, you come straight home. Do you understand?” I said to them.

“Yes, Father.” My sons said quietly.
With that, they went up to bed while I had a conversation with my wife.

“It's the Assassins.” I said.

“Why would they want them?” Constantia asked quietly.

“I don't know, but I fear what will happen to our sons if they accept this.”

“You warned them, so everything should be fine. I believe they will come back if something is not right.”

“I hope so, for our family's sake.”
We both went to bed without saying another word.

Author's Note:

This chapter, right here, is where the plot of the story really begins. The last 3 chapters were to start off the background of the Pager family. Now, the story of Headline really begins as he and his brother, File, make a decision they think is best for them.