• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 575 Views, 6 Comments

Headline and the Power of Friendship (Book 1) - Headline



This is the story of Headline: A pegasus who tries to mix an ordinary life with a dangerous concern.

  • ...
4
 6
 575

Ch. 2: Headline and Fluttershy

At tryouts, he was a little nervous but was also excited to complete his first flying lesson with the other students. Alongside Headline were two other buddies, Rainbow Dash and Gilda the Griffon. They became good friends and as for File, he had good friends too, like Derpy and Spitfire. Spitfire and File were the same age, except for Derpy who is the same age as Headline. Anyway, it was Headline's turn...

“Alright, Headline you're next!” The teacher said.
Headline came to the end of the clouds, suddenly having the urge to step back to get a running start but it was a hop and glide lesson, something simple before flying.

“What's the rule again?” Headline asked.

“Glide as far as you can, and do not try to cheat.” He said. “Others are watching to make sure of that.”

“Understood.” Headline said confidently. Without a second thought and with the “Go” sign showing, he took off and glided away.

“Go, Headline, Go!” Rainbow and Gilda said together. Suddenly all the other Pegasus' were cheering as Headline glided straight and as strong as he could. He was proud of himself as he glided 400 meters close to a gliding record by 50 meters but I don't think anypony was keeping track.

While he was gliding, somepony, who was shy from the beginning, was watching with a smile on her face.

Next was Rainbow Dash, who, without a sign of cockiness, was the strongest flier out of any pony, except for maybe Spitfire. She came up with the biggest warm-up as she made a cracking sound in every bone in her body and waited to start. Do not worry, she was not hurt, just showing off. When the teacher said go, she took off with such speed that she increased it as she started to drop. When she finished, she beat Headline by 25 meters, seeing that she did not break the record either.

“Oh, yeah! I'm one of the best gliders in all of Equestria!” She said with a cocky smile on her face. “You know I can do almost anything.” She said as other Pegasus' were cheering her for her grand finish with a flash of rainbow when she hit the ground.

“Yeah, “almost” being the word.” Gilda said with over-confidence in her own speed and wings.

“Nopony is perfect. Therefore nopony can do everything which is the same as your phrase, Rainbow, saying that you can do almost anything. You can be surprised by how many things you can't do.” Headline said.

“I didn't ask you.” Rainbow said as she returned to the top of the clouds.

“Sorry, but it's the truth.”

“I know.”

“O.k. Gilda, you are next.” The teacher said as Gilda quickly came up to the edge of the cloud. Gilda waited for the “Go” sign but she almost took off before it was time.

“Hey! You don't go until everypony is in position. Otherwise, you could hurt somepony.”

“Alright! Well hurry up then!” Gilda said.
With that, she waited impatiently and finally the “Go” sign was given and she took off without a second of delay. She glided very beautifully and landed between Headline and Rainbow's marks.

“Man, looks like I may need practice.” Headline said.

“How could I lose?” Gilda said in shock as she didn't tie or reach Rainbow's mark. “This is not over.”

“Yeah, probably not. Sorry you did not make it to our marks Headline.” Rainbow said with forgiveness.

“That's O.k. I will work better at it tomorrow.”
This next Pegasus' will change Headline forever.

“O.k. Next is...Fluttershy, come on up.”
Fluttershy walked very nervously up to the edge of the cloud, looked down, lost focus and got really scared.

“Um...teacher...I...don't think...I should go.” Fluttershy said nervously.

“Everyone has to go, Fluttershy. Don't you want to get yours over with?”

“Um...well...No.” She said with certainty.

“Here's a hint, try closing your eyes and glide forward, it worked for me and I'm sure it can work for you.”

“Uh...well...o...k”
Once she saw the “Go” sign she closed her eyes, jumped, and fell because she forgot to open her wings. When she hit the ground, she went only 20 meters. Everypony laughed and laughed even Gilda laughed, except for Headline and Rainbow Dash who felt bad for her. Suddenly everypony surrounded her as she came up yelling “Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can hardly fly.” They continuously did that for a few seconds when the teacher broke up the whole thing.

“THAT'S ENOUGH!!!” *Whistle blows* “This class is over, everypony head home!” The Teacher said with a face that said “I can't believe you all did that!” “Are you o.k. Fluttershy?” He asked calmly.
Fluttershy was sobbing in such a bad way that it scared her and she felt embarrassed for trying.

“I'm *sniff* not o.k.” Fluttershy is trying to say.
Headline is still there watching in such a way that he felt that he should try to help her too.

“I'll help her out teach.” Headline said with sincerity.
With that, the teacher left and all that were left was Fluttershy and Headline.

“Hey, I think you did the very best you could.” Headline said trying to cheer her up.

“You're just saying that to make me feel better.” Fluttershy said sadly.

“If I was just saying it to make you feel better I would not be here. I believe that you had the confidence to even jump off the cloud which some Pegasus' I know still fear to do, but you decided to jump without hesitating even after what the teacher said to you. I believe you will be an excellent flier.”
Fluttershy suddenly felt warmth and courage from what Headline said to her.

“I also do not care what those Pegasus' say, you keep doing your best and in the end, you could be the one that stands out above the rest.”
Fluttershy suddenly smiled and looked at Headline straight in the face.

“Thank you for giving me the confidence to never give up. I will not...um... quit and I...will...try my...um...best to ignore the remarks...of the others.” Fluttershy said nervously with a smile on her face.

“Sorry, I did not introduce myself, I'm Headline Pager.”

“I'm Fluttershy, just Fluttershy.”
After that, they shook hooves, hugged, and became good friends after that.

Author's Note:

For this chapter, it was hard to think about where, exactly, I should have Headline start. I thought a regular life would be great so I had him start in his childhood during flight school (camp.) I kind of added some familiar quotes from the series making it look realistic in the fact that Headline was there during some familiar moments. For example, in this chapter, Fluttershy got teased as others said "Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can hardly fly." Headline was there when it happened.