• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 2,940 Views, 130 Comments

This City by the Bay: A Mare's Story - ponyboy245



A story of an unconventional love that blossomed from an unexpected friendship

  • ...
13
 130
 2,940

Arrival


The Golden Gate Bridge.

At least that's what the humans called it.

Though I was a little disappointed that the bridge was not in fact made of gold, it was still an impressive sight, nonetheless. As our ship passed beneath that man-made colossus of iron and steel, I gradually came to the humbling realization that a pony like myself would be hard-pressed to find its equal back in Equestria.

It was a cold December morning when we first arrived in San Francisco Bay and the sky had just turned that certain shade of grayish-blue that comes just before the sun can set it ablaze. As I leaned out over the handrail, with my hooves warming beneath my chin, the ship's foghorn gave an unexpected bellow that shook the upper deck like a freshly-plucked guitar string. The sound blossomed outward, rippling across the water as it cut through the blanket of fog that had swept across the entire bay.

My eyes strained against the thick, foggy stew that now surrounded us like an impenetrable wall of gray as I tried to spot the first, tell-tale signs of the city. It was almost impossible for me to contain my excitement and on several occasions I found myself giggling like a filly on her first day of school.

To this day, I still don't fully understand why I chose San Francisco.

It's actually kind of strange when I stop to think about it.

Of all the places on Earth I could have chosen to spend my holiday, why this particular city? Why not Paris with its romantic architecture, or the pretty lights and excitement of Las Vegas? Why not the mysterious pyramids of Cairo, or perhaps even the stoic majesty of one of the world's great capital cities?

Well, how does one describe what they feel the first time they fall in love? How does one describe the indescribable, and put into words something so beautifully profound that it goes beyond description?

A little over the top? Yeah, probably just a tad.

I'm normally not the type of mare to gush like that, even though resisting the urge to do so pretty much goes against my equine nature. But truth be told, all that ooey-gooey stuff was pretty much the way I felt the moment the travel agency had given me the brochure.

Some might have called it an irrational flight of fancy, (I'm pretty sure my travel agent did) but my mind was set the moment I first laid eyes on those first breathtaking pictures of San Francisco with its rolling hills of houses and buildings and its two majestic bridges lit up as though it were Hearth's Warming Eve.

I sighed to myself, watching as my breath curled and twisted about before dissolving into nothingness. The air was getting chillier than before, nipping me through the hairs of my light-green coat. For the first time since leaving the port of Neo Equineox, I was actually glad to be wearing the puffy little jacket that had just been taking up space in my saddlebag.

The four-day voyage from the tiny, south-pacific island had been a relatively pleasant one, if not a tad boring. I suppose in hindsight, I could have used one of Earth's speedier modes of transportation had I been willing to part with the extra bits it would have cost me. The fact that I practically froze up whenever the subject of air-travel was even hinted at certainly didn't help either.

Now I'm just as adventurous as the next mare, but the way I see it, if I had been meant to travel the skies, I would have been born a pegasus instead of an earth-pony.

The ship itself was a decently sized vessel, one of the first in the fleet of ocean transports that had been constructed shortly after trade agreements between Earth and Equestria had been established. Though it had been built for the transportation of passengers, the notion of traveling in comfort seemed to have been included only as an afterthought, lacking the sort of lace and frill that one would expect to find on a typical luxury cruise.

Not that I'm the kind of pony to be nit-picky about that sort of thing. I may have been born and raised in the upper-crust of Manehattan society, but that didn't mean I expected to be pampered like some over-privileged show-mare.

That being said, after nearly a week of sleeping in a lumpy little bed, in a stuffy little cabin, with nothing but a tiny porthole for a window, it was a miracle that I didn't wind up going stir-crazy before we even reached our destination.

My wandering thoughts were soon forgotten when the first dubious shapes of the city began to emerge from the fog; just a dark swell of a hill that bristled with the subtle hint of human architecture, rising and falling and spreading outward so it could merge with the neighboring hills.

For a moment I felt almost compelled to worship this vast behemoth of concrete and steel that human hands had rendered into existence and the closer we got to it, the more overwhelming that feeling became.

Feeling bold, I leaned out over the handrail and watched as we pulled into port, moving alongside the dock until power to the engines was cut, and the ship properly moored and secured.

I then collected my belongings, thankful that I had the foresight to pack everything the previous night. I was already halfway down the gangway before most of the other passengers could even emerge from their own cabins. The moment my hoof touched solid ground I felt as though the shroud of weariness and fatigue suddenly lifted from my spirits.

Oh Celestia, I don't even think I have the words to describe it! It was like standing on the smallest toe of some colossal beast. I could feel the overpowering presence of the city and it tickled all five of my senses with the sort of excitement that I had not felt since I was just a filly.

Unfortunately the feeling was not meant to last, because it was gradually squeezed out of existence as I was corralled through one security check point after another, along with the rest of the passengers.

It's strange when you stop to think about it. For all their curiosity and their need to explore the unknown, humans seemed to be a people governed by their shared paranoias. The whole process was enough to test the patience of even the most temperate of creatures, with its ridiculous security procedures and background checks and x-rays and bag searches.

And need I mention the page after page of every kind of invasive question one could think of asking? I swear, if Equestria were to ever adopt such absurd security measures, I think it would lead to what I believe the humans refer to as “complete and total anarchy”.

When I finally reached the check-in windows for all new arrivals from Equestria I was directed over to a rather fat looking customs agent who was seated behind a marble counter with the glow of a computer monitor on his round, flabby face.

When he saw me approach he quickly stuffed the last of his sandwich into his mouth, dripping mustard and grease down his chin and onto his uniform. I tried not to notice the stain it left, just like I tried not to let my intimidation show.

I know it probably sounds stupid, but what can I say? As disgusting as his eating habits were, the fat, slovenly human was an imposing sight to behold, with his blunt features and thick hairy fingers. When he asked to see my passport and immigration documents, I could smell the stink of cheese and onions on his breath. I reached a hoof into one of my saddlebags and produced the required papers and documents, resisting the urge to wrinkle my nose as I quickly handed them over.

The customs agent looked over my documentation while he scraped his tongue along the inside of his mouth, stopping only to dislodge a sesame seed that had gotten stuck between his teeth.

“Name?” he asked bluntly.

“Honeydew Blossom,” I answered, detesting the subtle trace of a squeak that had crept its way into my voice. I could tell from the quick rolling of his eyes that he thought my name sounded ridiculous, something I thought was a little ironic, considering the badge on his uniform read: Tobias Bullafarht.

“Purpose of your visit to the state of California?” he continued while typing something onto the keyboard sitting atop his work-station.

“I'm on vacation.”

“How long do you plan to staying in the State of California?”

“About ten days, I think.”

And for the next few minutes it was just question after another, from the current state of my health to whether or not I had any fruit of vegetables to declare.

Now I could have been wrong, but I was fairly certain that I had already answered most of these questions when I had been asked to fill out those degrading immigration forms. Was this guy honestly planning on taking me through each and every last question?

Yeah, that was pretty much the general idea.

By the tenth question I was ready to tell the balding tub-of-guts where he could stick his questions. At least that was before I noticed the pistol, and the baton, and the Taser, that were strapped to his belt; and I had no doubt they would be used if he thought I had stepped too far out of line. All at once, my mouth snapped shut and my sense of reason returned to me once more. I made no complaint nor did I voice the slightest bit of irritation, not even when I was asked to remove my saddlebags so they could be “inspected for contraband”.

When he was finally satisfied that I posed no significant threat to national security, the customs agent marked my passport with a rubber stamp before handing it back to me along with a half-hearted welcome to the United States.

I didn't bother thanking him.

______________________________________________________________

Words alone would never be able to describe the sense of relief I felt when I took my first step outside the customs building and for a fleeting moment, it was almost as though I had stepped through a second gate.

A bright smile stretched across my muzzle.

I had made it.

I had finally arrived in the city that had captured my sense of wonder from the moment I saw my first picture. Just that realization alone was enough to banish all memory of Customs Agent Bullafarht and his cheese-smelling breath.

There was nothing left but the sheer delight of having finally reached my destination. With a gleeful nikker, I broke into a bouncy little trot, putting as much distance between myself and the customs building as I could manage. Before I knew it, I was soon standing on the corner of my first San Francisco street.

As far as cities go, San Francisco was about as different from Manehattan as Earth was different from Equestria. Instead of the bright palette of colors that most ponies tended to favor, the city was a chaotic splash of browns and grays and off whites of beige and blue that lacked even the slightest hint of harmony that I was used to seeing back in Manehattan.

And yet, as I proceeded to make my way from one street to the next, I soon came to realize that everything seemed to fit together. It was like a chaos of colors and textures and shapes that all merged to form the breathtaking metropolis that now surrounded me.

However, I'm afraid that the same thing can't be said about the sounds of the street, which I could only describe as being like a perpetual symphony of noise. It literally saturated the air, coming from every direction as it bounced off the buildings and the streets.

Now, don't get me wrong, Manehattan hasn't exactly been a city known for its peaceful atmosphere, but even on its busiest day, the Equestrian city was a butterfly's whisper compared to this beast that the humans had constructed.

Though it was only a guess on my part, I suspected that the leading contributor to much of the noise were the self-propelled wagons the humans called automobiles or just simply cars for short; just one of the many technological wonders that the humans had built to improve their lives.

Sweet Celestia above, what could have possibly possessed them to bring such contraptions into existence? Compared to our beautiful stage coaches and carriages back home, these so called technological wonders, were just noisy machines that fouled up the air with noxious smelling fumes whenever they rolled on by.

I'll gladly tip my hat to the human’s sense of ingenuity when it comes to their technology, but they really should stop and think it over next time they decide to unleash their next ‘ground-breaking’ idea on the rest of the world.

And then there were the buildings themselves! Some stood only a few stories tall, squashed together in tight little rows and some were absolute giants. Even the tallest office buildings in Manehattan would be dwarfed in the shadow of these monoliths of concrete and steel.

And the humans! How could I have forgotten about the humans! They were literally everywhere! Every time I crossed a street or turned a corner, or just looked to my left or my right, the sight of a human was always there to greet me. Tall, short, large, small, fat and thin and young and old. Some with fair complexions and others with skin tones ranging from bronze to the color of rich mahogany.

They came in so many shapes and sizes that it was nearly impossible to comprehend their diversity. Some smiled as I passed while a few gawked and stared; but, most just seemed to treat me like any other pedestrian they encountered by ignoring me entirely.

As I crossed a rather busy intersection I was treated to my very first look at one of the city's famous cable cars as it came rumbling down a set of rails that were built into the street. I stopped in my tracks and watched as the ancient looking pile of wood and metal rolled on by, ringing its little bell as it turned a corner and began climbing one of the nearby hills.

They say that San Francisco had first been established during a time when the surrounding hills were rich with gold, and humans traveled from all over the world in hopes of claiming their share of the wealth. They say that the dirt was so rich that it practically glittered, that all you had to do was dig a hole and scoop out all the gold you could carry.

Whether or not the stories were true or just products of exaggeration, it made no difference to me, because I was finally there! And for the first time since I was just a little foal, a sense of adventure and excitement began to burn like a fire in my belly.

Unfortunately, that fire could only burn so bright for so long. As excited and eager as I was to explore this human-made metropolis, the sleepless hours of the previous night had left me tired and more than a little fuzzy-headed. I quickly checked into the first hotel I could find; a four-story building with an attractive facade of red brick, and rooms that offered lovely views of the bay.

Suffice to say, the service was top-notch, and the reception I received from the staff was a far cry from the welcome I had received at the customs office. The young man who helped me with my bags was a lively fellow named Trevor, tall and flamboyantly handsome, with the hint of a neatly trimmed beard on the tip of his chin and impeccably styled hair that glowed with golden highlights. He moved with a dancer’s grace as he led me to my room, talking about how much I was going to love San Francisco and offering up little tips about where to get the best cocktails and kitschy souvenirs.

When we finally reached my room, I thanked the cheerful man for his assistance and placed a twenty dollar bill in his hand. I think I may have been too generous, because when he saw how much I had given him, the poor man looked as though he was about to burst into tears. Before departing, he leaned in close and quietly told me that if I asked the front desk for him, that he would gladly see to everything I needed during my stay.

It was an offer that I could hardly refuse.

When I was finally left to myself, I took a moment to have a look around. Though it was nothing particularly fancy, the room was clean and fresh smelling, and even came with a yummy little mint on the pillow.

Now, I'll be honest with you, I really hadn't been too keen on the whole vacation thing at first; and I probably should have done a better job in hiding that when Platinum politely informed me that I was in need of one.

One thing I should probably tell you about myself is that I'm a mare who prides herself on the love she has for her work. It's the sort of love that's often found me slipping into the sort of work schedules that most other ponies would consider a little excessive; not that I ever let that stop me, of course.

Unfortunately, when your boss just happens to be the founder of one of the most highly rated human escort agencies in Equestria, a recommendation to take a little holiday isn't really one of those things you just casually blow off.

Like I said before, I'm a mare who loves her work, and the moment something comes between me and my work, I start to show my darker side, which, according to the few surviving witnesses of my last meltdown, is not a pretty sight.

Ooooh, I was so angry, that I nearly marched into that self-important unicorn's office to tell her off, because nopony was going to put Honeydew Blossom out to pasture and not get an earful. Thank Celestia, I'd managed to get most of my temper under control, otherwise I probably would have gotten my flank tossed out of the building the minute I opened my mouth.

The fact that my friend, Ever Ring had been there to hold me back with her magic until I finally got the stupid out of my system probably didn't hurt either.

So, when all was said and done, I was given my three weeks vacation and a choice of ideal places to spend it. It's still hard to believe that only five years ago, a trip to the world of the humans would never have even been considered possible, let alone an option.

At least not until that one fateful morning, when an unforeseen accident suddenly ripped open a dimensional rift in the fabric of space and time, a story that I'm sure most of you are already quite familiar with.

After a nice, relaxing nap followed by an equally nice and relaxing shower, I was completely rejuvenated and ready to take in in the sights of the city that would be my home away from home for the next ten days.

Though I'm a little embarrassed to say it, I think my excitement got the best of me, because the minute I was back on the streets I was once again like a little filly set loose in a candy shop on her birthday. Thank Celestia, I had the foresight to grab a few maps from the hotel's front desk or I probably would have gotten lost within the first ten minutes.

From the hotel, I made my along the waterfront, passing harbors and marinas filled with boats of all manner of shape and size, some being tended to by their owners while others just rocked slowly to-and-fro like little toys bobbing in a bathtub.

My nose twitched as the smell of the ocean touched my nostrils, thick and pungent with the flavor of salt that stuck to my tongue whenever I opened my mouth.

At some point, my path took me alongside a small construction site, where a new building was being erected. The crew was a surprisingly diverse mix of men and stallions, all dressed in the same brightly colored uniforms and sporting the same protective hard-hats that covered their heads like yellow bowls.

Five years ago, the very notion of pony/human integration would have been laughed at. Now, ever since the signing of the trade agreements, that same idea had become the reality of both worlds. In just a few short years, rising communities of ponies and humans living and working together had quickly become a common sight to be found on both sides of the portal.

It’s unfortunate that there were those small-minded few who had opposed the idea of integration between our two cultures and continue to do so to this very day. Human politicians and Equestrian nobles, all trying to outdo each other in the wasting of time, the raising of voices and spewing of xenophobic vitriol.

In fact, I think the only thing that’s kept me from completely losing faith in both our species, was that for every bigoted voice that condemned the idea of unification, there was always five more voices of reason to shut it down.

A smile touched my muzzle when I saw a group of men and stallions and even a few mares, just lounging about on what I could only assume was their afternoon break, swapping stories and no doubt a few dirty jokes while sipping coffee from disposable cups.

As I passed by, one of the bolder stallions stood up and whistled in my direction while another shouted compliments regarding the roundness of my rump. A few humans even joined in, cat calling and whistling, with promises of a good time should I decide to come around when they got off work.

I favored my admires with a wink and a sultry smile that glowed with just the right amount of invitation. I even gave my tail a nice little swish for added tease, which ignited an explosion of hoots and hollers from both man and stallion alike.

Yes, something else you should probably know about me is that I'm a shameless flirt.

After continuing to make my way along the waterfront, it wasn't long before I found myself in a part of the city where the streets were lined with countless restaurants and souvenir shops, filled with T-shirts and postcards; and all manner of little nick-nacks to catch the eyes of passing tourists.

Truth be told, I honestly never dreamed so many people could be in one place at the same time, moving along the sidewalks like a great flood of human activity.

There was a definite nautical theme that practically smothered the atmosphere, from decorative pictures of brightly colored sea creatures to widows made to look like the portholes of a ship. All of it just for the sake of adding that extra bit of glitz to the already garish facades of the surrounding structures.

And then there was the smell; the thick, oily stink of what the humans called ‘seafood’, which all but saturated the air. Everywhere I looked I saw plates of the stuff, from slabs of deep-fried fish to sizzling skewers of bright-red prawns to plates of steaming clams.

I even passed a row of stalls where live crabs were dropped into giant pots of boiling water before being served to tourists in little rectangular boxes that dribbled sauce and juices onto their shoes. Though the sight of the humans and their eating habits was nothing I hadn't seen before, I think it was the smell that finally drove me away. I quickly picked up the pace when my stomach gave its first twitch, leaving the humans to their unappetizing repast while the stench of crab and melted butter clung to the inside of my nostrils.

I guess when it comes to what humans consider to be appetizing, there really is no accounting for taste.

Now the stores, on the other hoof, were a whole different barrel of apples.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I think the sight of so many shops and stores clustered so tightly together must have set something off inside me, because I was struck by a sudden need to do a little trinket shopping. I'm not really sure how long my little shopping spree lasted, but when it was over, both my saddlebags were bulging with all manner of baubles and trinkets, from a few bags of the most delectable looking chocolates I had ever tasted, to a cute, little snow-globe featuring a miniaturized Golden Gate Bridge.

I even purchased an amusing little T-shirt that said something about cake being a lie.

To this day I still have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Before long, I eventually found myself walking the length of a long promenade of shops and restaurants that extended from the waterfront like an incomplete bridge. It was almost like a tiny amusement park, built upon the remains of an old pier, complete with vendors selling cotton candy and popcorn. There was even a charming little carousel that was filled with dozens of human children who squealed and laughed as their wooden horses bobbed up and down and pouted when their parents tried to collect them.

There were shops filled with nothing but candy and sweets, enough to make even the most dignified ponies salivate. There was even an old fashioned crepe stand, the sight of which nearly drove me into a fit of delighted squeals.

I suppose, if nothing else, the one thing ponies and humans could always find in common was our shared love of sweets.

“Come on Beat!” a shrill, little voice shouted “Hurry up before someone else gets it before we do!”

I was suddenly jostled from my thoughts when a pair of young colts suddenly galloped past, spilling one of my bags of chocolates when one of them bumped into me. I called after them, and shouted for them both to come back before they got too far.

Neither seemed to notice me as they swiftly made their way across the promenade. The sound of their youthful laughter was matched only by the jingle of their money pouches before they both disappeared through a pair of swinging doors.

“Colts will be colts,” I said to myself, closing my eyes as I tried to take a slow, calming breath. “Colts will be colts.”

Now, remember me saying something about having a bit of a temper? Well, I think it probably goes without saying that my little encounter with those colts must have lit a major spark under my flank. Because before I knew it, my scattered chocolates were quickly forgotten and all I could think about was giving them both a good chewing out.

Colts will be colts.

Never has there been a more profound truth spoken.

Too bad I was too riled up to bring myself to care.

My hooves became a blur of motion as I tore across the promenade, nostrils flaring, my eyes locked on the swinging doors which the colts had disappeared into just moments before.

________________________________________________________________________

The moment I came bursting through those doors, my anger was swiftly quelled by a world of lights and sounds and colors. Everywhere I looked, dozens of young ponies and human children were crowded around rows of large, boxy objects; machines housed in garishly decorated cases, with glowing screens that flickered with some of the strangest imagery I had ever seen.

Now, up until that point, I had only been vaguely aware of the devices the humans called 'video games' and couldn't for the life of me remember a time when I had seen one up close. They were a curious sight, that much was certain, as if each machine was a tiny portal to its own little universe, one that was controlled by the shift of a stick and the press of a button.

As I wandered deeper into the noisy labyrinth, I found myself becoming genuinely entertained by the some of the stranger images; from a yellow circle gobbling white dots and little blue ghosts to strangely dressed warriors locked in vicious, bloody combat.

Surprisingly enough, it was the fighting machines that seemed to be the most popular games with the human children and I was soon treated to a grotesque display of blood and brutality when one fighter ended up ripping his opponent's head off.

I'm honestly not sure which was more unsettling; the over-the-top violence or the elation it evoked from the two young boys standing at the controls.

Humans.

Even as children they're still a complicated bunch.

Perhaps more intriguing than the games themselves was the amount of attention they received from their young patrons, the majority of which was made up of a large number of colts and fillies who were absolutely entranced. I found myself giggling at the sight a particularly young unicorn filly who stood atop her older brother’s back while her tiny hooves fumbled with the controls.

“Come on, Bagle!” the colt whined while his legs trembled under his sister's added weight. “You've been playing forever, and I still haven't had a turn!”

The filly just stuck her tongue out at her brother before turning her attention back to the game, squealing with glee when the little man on the screen hopped over another barrel.

It wasn't long before I eventually caught up with the two colts that I had encountered earlier, both engaged in what I could only guess was some sort of dance simulator. Vastly different from the other game machines I had seen, it required them both to step on a set of panels that were somehow linked to the lines of arrows scrolling up the screen in front of them. They were surprisingly skilled, their movements perfectly matched with each other and the upbeat music that blasted around them. It was especially impressive considering the game had never been designed to be used by ponies.

I don't know how long I had been watching them, but I was distracted long enough that I failed to notice that I wasn't their only audience.

“Those two really are something,” I heard someone say, nearly startling me out of my horseshoes. When I looked to the source of the voice, I found myself looking up at a tall, casually dressed human who appeared to be in the early years of adulthood.

He was a handsome creature, not quite as striking as some of the gentlemen I worked with back at the agency, but handsome all the same. He had the face of a thinker, sporting a pair of wire-rimmed glasses that framed his two intelligent eyes. His hair, on the other hoof, was like an unruly mop of dark, brown curls that clearly resisted any attempt to comb or brush it into submission.

He favored me with a smile that brought a faint blush to my cheeks.

“They come here about three times a week,” he said nodding towards the two colts while he jotted something down in the notebook he carried. “And they don't leave until they've run out of quarters.”

“They seem to be really enjoying themselves.” I replied, forced to raise my voice so that it wasn't drowned out by the blasting music and noise. “I've got to be honest, when I first arrived in San Francisco, I never once imagined that I'd be standing in a place like this.”

“Your first time inside a video arcade?” he asked, a look of mild amusement creeping into his features.

“Is that what this place is called, then?” I asked. “We've nothing like it back in Equestria.”

“Not yet anyway,” he replied, his smile unchanged.

I asked him what he meant by that, but his attention had already returned to his notes, stopping frequently to consider something while he chewed the end of his pencil.

“In fact,” he started up again. “I'm actually convinced that ponies could resurrect the arcade industry.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.”

I laughed at his confidence while delighting in it at the same time. “You sound awfully sure of yourself,” I said, adding just the right amount of cheek to the tone of my voice.

He just chuckled. “After all the time I've spent in this place, I'd sure be disappointed if I were wrong.”

“And what is it that brings you here, in the first place?” I asked, moving a little closer. “Not meaning to pry into another's business, but you seem a little... old to be hanging around this particular crowd.” I pointed to a large group of colts and fillies who had just challenged their human companions to a game of blasting away whatever flashed across the screen.

The sound of cheering brought both our attention back to the dance machine, where the two colts had managed to draw a small audience with their skill and mastery of the the game's mechanics. I watched in awestruck silence as they both kept in perfect sync to the music, their legs a blur of motion as their little hooves danced across the controls.

“They're so young,” I said. “How could they have gotten so good at that in such a short a period of time?”

“Hours of practice.”

“Oh come on,” I scoffed. “There's got to be more to it than that.”

“Did I also happen to mention the insane amount of quarters it takes as well?” he asked. “I think between the two of them, those guys have probably spent about a hundred dollars on that one game alone. Just do the math and you'll see that adds up to a lot of quarters.”

I did the math; twice, just to be sure I had it right the first time. “It sounds like an expensive hobby,” I finally managed to say.

“Oh, it can be,” the young human replied. “Speaking from my own personal experience, I think I once blew about three hundred dollars from just playing Bubble Bobble for a few days. I guess you could say it happened back when I was too stupid to handle money responsibly.”

“Now, now,” I replied, giving him a gentle nudge. “We were all young and stupid at some point in our lives. No need to beat yourself up for something that happened years ago.”

“Actually,” he said with an ironic little grin on his face. “I'm pretty sure this happened just last month.”

He was joking of course, and according to him, the look on my face was 'priceless'. For a moment, all I could do was stare at him in disbelief before we both burst into a fit of laughter that caused several heads to turn our way. When we both finally managed to stop making spectacles of ourselves, I quickly introduced myself.

“I'm Honeydew,” I said, extending my hoof which he gently took into his hand. “Honeydew Blossom.”

“Daniel Laughlin,” he replied, before handing me a business card which he had produced from his pocket. My eyes glazed across the card's surface as I held it in my hoof, impressed by the quality of the print work and lettering.

“New Frontiers Interactive,” I read aloud “Independent game design, development and consultations.” I raised an eyebrow. “You make games?”

“That's always been the plan, at least as far back as I can remember,” Daniel answered. “I teamed up with an old school buddy of mine a couple years back. I had the ideas and his family had the start-up cash, so it was a perfect match.”

“So it's just the two of you, then?”

“Only at first,” he said. “But my friend knew enough people who were willing to work with us for practically nothing. So in a few months time, we went from being two guys who were nearly broke, to a bunch of guys who were nearly broke.”

“It doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of job security in this business,” I said.

“Can't argue with that. But then again, it sure as hell beats the alternative.”

“And what's the alternative?”

“Not making games.”

I pondered that for a moment. A risky business venture that had no guarantees, all for the joy of creating something purely for the love for the work. At first it seemed like an odd declaration, and yet, from the determined look on Daniel's face, I knew he meant every word.

“It's good to be passionate about something,” I finally said, feeling the rising heat in my cheeks when the edge of his jeans brushed against my shoulder.

He then surprised me by asking if I wanted to try the dance-machine for myself. I took one look at the brightly lit contraption and did my best to polity decline his unexpected invitation. I don't know how he managed it, but Daniel was somehow able to talk me into it, leading me over to the dance machine with a rather pleased look on his face.

Oh Celestia, what had I gotten myself into!

He surprised me further when he introduced me to the two colts we had been watching, greeting them both with all the familiarity of a close friend while gently bumping his fist against their hooves. They were an energetic pair who went by the names of Beat and Rhythm and seemed positively elated by the human's sudden appearance. Their smiles were bright and their tails flicked about excitedly as they bragged about their latest victory over the dance-machine that day.

When they both realized who I was, I couldn't help but laugh at the sheepish looks on their adorable little faces. My need for retribution over spilled candy long since forgotten, I gladly accepted their apologies and smiled as they both breathed sighs of relief.

Setting my saddlebags to one side, I cautiously stepped onto the dance-machine's controls, settling my hooves atop the arrowed panels while Daniel dropped a few quarters into the machine.

I think it goes without saying, that my first introduction to the world of video games proved to be an embarrassment of epic proportions. My hooves kept fumbling and the constant shifting of sound and color quickly left me feeling dizzy and confused. I'm not sure how, but through my feeble attempts to keep up with the game's unforgiving rhythm, I somehow managed to make it all the way to the end of the round.

When Daniel asked me if I had enjoyed myself, I looked him straight in the eye and told him that I never wanted to go through something like that again. This declaration probably would have had more of an impact had I not been giggling at the time.

Perhaps it was a bit premature, but I quickly decided that I liked this human. Though his mind was sharp and clever, there was a genuine sweetness to him, a quality that I found to be very endearing.

My original plans to spend the rest of the day shopping and exploring were soon abandoned when Daniel asked if I would like to join him for lunch. It was an offer that I found difficult to refuse considering that I had barely eaten that day, not unless you counted that complimentary mint from the hotel.

I accepted the human's generous invitation and together we made an unnoticed exit from the arcade before setting off towards the promenade of cafes and restaurants.

Now, I'll be honest with you. When I'd first made plans to spend my vacation on Earth, my biggest worry had been about the food that would be available to a pony like myself. It was no secret that the humans had forged a unique place in their world's food chain, essentially turning the entire planet into one gigantic dinner menu.

But despite the average human's taste for meat, I soon came to discover that many of the city's restaurants had been restructured in order to cater to Equestrian patronage. When we sat down at an outdoor restaurant, I honestly never thought that I would be able to order a hay and dandelion salad from the same menu that Daniel used to order a cheeseburger.

Just another example of our changing times I suppose.

And contrary to what humans might think, the sight of meat was not enough to send us ponies screaming into the hills, though our natural instincts as herbivores made it a topic best left out of dinner conversations. That being said, trying to fully enjoy my salad proved to more difficult than I had expected, especially when Daniel proceeded to devour one of the biggest, greasiest sandwiches I had ever seen; a three layered monstrosity of meat and cheese and bacon that crunched beneath his teeth with each bite he took.

Oh well, at least it wasn't seafood.

I think he noticed me staring at him, because he eventually abandoned his gargantuan sandwich and spent the rest of the meal nibbling on a side dish of little fried potatoes. It was a thoughtful gesture and no matter how many times I tried to convince him otherwise, he insisted on sparing what I believe he referred to as my ‘delicate equestrian sensitivities’.

To this, I simply reminded him of the prudish nature of humans when it came to things like clothes and nudity.

“Well, you've got me there,” was all he could say on that particular matter.

Our conversation moved in erratic patterns, shifting from one subject to the next. He seemed genuinely interested in finding out what he could about me, asking about what part of Equestria I came from and about my trip through the Gate and what it was that had brought me to San Francisco. I was more than happy to answer his questions, taking pleasure in his curiosity.

And then he had to ask about what line of work I was in, to which, I simply told him that I was in the business of improving pony/human relations.

I had no idea why I lied to him like that and the minute the words left my mouth I instantly regretted saying them. It was the first time that I had ever felt the need to keep my work a secret, having always chosen to be upfront and honest should ever the subject find its way into the conversation.

Was it shame?

Was it fear?

Fear of what he might think or what he might say?

My line of work as a handler at Gentlemen for Mares may have been unconventional in the eyes of many, but it was good honest work that I took very seriously. And after nearly four years of doing it, whatever trepidations I may have once had in the beginning had long since been replaced by an unwavering sense of pride and love.

Love for both the job itself and for the five wonderful men it allowed me to work with. And yet I had chosen to lie about it and the guilt was already starting to take root in the pit of my stomach. I did what I could to shift the conversation to his side of the table, letting him take the subject to places other than the dubious nature of my job.

Time must move faster on Earth than I realized, because by the time we had finished our meals, the afternoon had relinquished the skies to the first hours of the evening. Though I was reluctant to part ways with my new acquaintance, I felt that wandering around an unfamiliar city at night would probably not be the best idea I ever had.

I made an attempt to excuse myself, thanking him for the meal while I reached for my saddle bags.

“Tired of me, already?” he asked.

“Oh please,” I shot back, rolling my eyes. “A mare should be so lucky to spend an afternoon with a man of such impeccable character.”

“Okay, now you're just straight up mocking me, aren't you?”

“What? Oh no, no, of course not! What could have possibly given you that impression?”

“I grew up with two older sisters. Trust me, I know the signs.”

“Yes, I suppose you would,” I replied, snickering into my hoof. “In any case, I really should be getting back to my hotel before it gets too late.” I rose from my seat, my legs unfolding like paper before I went to collect my saddlebags. Daniel managed to beat me to it, gently settling the bulging sacks over my back. I think my legs nearly buckled under the weight of my purchases.

“You alright carrying all that?” he asked. “I've heard that earth-ponies are supposed to be pretty strong, but if you need any-”

“Please don't trouble yourself any further on my account, Mr. Laughlin,” I interjected. “Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I've found myself in this sort of situation.”

“I never would have guessed.”

“And would you have guessed right if you had tried?”

“Maybe,” he said with a cocked eyebrow and a lopsided grin plastered across his face. “Are you sure I can't convince you to stick around a little longer?”

I had to shake my head, unable to keep myself from laughing. “Mister Laughlin-”

“Miss Blossom,” he mirrored. “And I'd really prefer Daniel, if it's all the same to you.”

“You're a shameless charmer, Mister Laughlin,” I said, emphasizing the 'L' with a slow roll of my tongue. “And as much as I've enjoyed your company, I really shouldn't be out much longer.”

“San Francisco is actually is pretty safe city so long as you stick to the right areas,” he tried to reassure me. “If you're worried about someone messing with you on the street-”

“Oh I'm not worried about that, Daniel,” I said. “Ponies may be smaller than humans, but we're far from defenseless.” I then lifted one of my hind legs and gently kicked the air behind me. “Believe me, you don't want to be on the receiving end of these things.”

“I think I'll take your word for it. Alright then, I guess nothing I say is gonna change your mind.”

“No, I'm afraid not.”

“How long were planning on staying?”

“In San Francisco? Not nearly as long as I would like. I'm sorry to say that I probably have another ten days until I have to catch the ship back to Neo Equineox.”

“Only ten days?”

I shrugged. “Maybe eleven.”

“Any chance I might be able to steal you away for some of those days?”

“Maybe,” I answered, trying my best not to laugh at the unexpected turn this little getaway had taken. It really hadn't been my intention to become involved with one of the locals, but then again it was supposed to be my vacation. And my companion seemed to enjoy my company as much as I enjoyed his.

What was the harm in having a little fun?

I knew plenty of mares back home who wouldn't have thought twice about dragging a fine specimen like Daniel back to their places and rutting his brains out, sight unseen. In fact, knowing her own predilections when it came to courting human men, I'm fairly certain that Five Stars would have already found some excuse to stick her tongue down his throat.

I probably could have gone that route myself, if I chose to, but that would have just been doing a disservice to both Daniel and myself.

“What did you have in mind?” I asked.

“Have you been to see the Legion of Honor yet?”

“I've only just arrived in the city this morning, so no, I can't say that I have.”

“It's one of the best fine arts museums in San Francisco,” he said with a tone that could almost be described as reverent. “If you're at all interested in that sort of thing, we could meet there in the afternoon and then grab something to eat afterwards.”

“That...” I started to say, licking my lips nervously. “I think I would enjoy that.” I closed my eyes and let my smile grow. “Yes. I think I would enjoy that very much.”

“It's a date then!” he said, trying not to let his excitement show, which of course was very cute to watch. He was like a colt that had been given an extra cookie at desert. He then took one of my hooves in his hand, surprising me with the gentleness of his touch. My mind took me to places where I could almost feel those beautify tapered fingers gliding across every inch of my body like little tongues of pleasure, bringing me to heights of ecstasy that I never thought possible.

Oh, don't give me that look! My mother may have raised me to be a proper Manehattan Lady, but that didn't mean that I couldn't be a little raunchy every now and then.

After resisting the urge to run my tongue along my human companion's ear, I made as graceful an exit as I could, with promises to meet him at the museum the following afternoon.

I moved with a swiftness that only an earth pony could achieve, leaving the district known as ‘Fisherman’s Wharf’ behind as I broke into a steady trot. You can probably imagine my surprise when I soon discovered that my day of exploring had put a rather substantial distance between myself and my hotel.

And if that wasn't enough, before I could even make it halfway there, the weather up and decided that it would be the perfect time for a surprise rainstorm. In less than a minute I was soaked from head to tail in a freezing torrent of rain and wind. I hurried as fast as my legs would carry me, weaving through the small number of pedestrians that had not yet retreated indoors.

The rain only seemed to be getting worse, making it difficult for me to keep my hooves from slipping on the surface of the sidewalk, and the added weight of my saddlebags certainly didn't improve the situation.

I honestly didn't expect things to get any worse, which was probably the second mistake I had made that day.

And the first mistake, you're probably asking?

Not buying a better saddlebag, which I soon came to realize when the strap suddenly snapped while I was crossing the street, spilling every last item onto the ground.

“Oh, no!” I cried as I tried to collect the contents of my two spilled bags. “No, no, no, no!”

It was a hopeless mess, with all of my purchases spread across the pavement. I made a futile attempt to gather what items I could into the little pile and my heart just about sank when I found the snow globe, shattered and empty like an egg that had just been dropped.

Now bare in mind that it wasn't just a few souvenirs that had me down in the street, fumbling around the way I was, because I'm not nearly that materialistic. No, no. What had me practically nose to the ground was not a few baubles and trinkets that could be easily replaced, but my passport and travel documents, not to mention the rest of my money!

Those things were not so easily replaceable as a T-shirt that spoke of cake being a lie.

I was so distracted by my predicament, that I completely failed to notice the traffic light change from red to green. My senses were suddenly overwhelmed by a barrage of light and sound when I saw the wave of automobiles barreling towards me. Something deep and primal took hold of me and with a powerful thrust of my hind legs, I reared back and leaped out of the first vehicle's path and just barely managed to avoid being run down by the second.

The contents of my saddlebag were not so fortunate and my ears were soon treated to the sickening crunch of glass and plastic being crushed under the wheels of a dozen fast moving cars.

When I finally managed to reach the safety of the sidewalk without being run down or flattened into a pony shaped pancake, the last of my things had been smashed to pieces. In fact, what few bits remained were pretty much spread across the road, like the way my father used to smear marmalade on his toast every morning.

The last of my strength suddenly left me and I fell back on my haunches with my rump providing the only bit of cushioning against the cold, wet concrete. For the longest time, all I could do was sit there, beneath the pale glow of a street light, with the rain endlessly falling on my head and my face a perfect mask of absolute misery.

I stared out into the street, unnoticed and ignored by passersby, a sad and broken lump of a pony who now felt as helpless and alone as a foal lost in the woods. And while this particular jungle certainly lacked the goulies and ghosties and all the long-leggity beasties that went bump in the night, it didn't change the fact that I had lost my passport, my money and all my most important traveling papers.

Without them, I was as good as stranded.

As the rain continued to pelt me with its spiteful little droplets, the weight of my situation just continued to get heavier and heavier until it finally broke me and the first stream of tears came pouring down my cheeks.

I couldn't stop crying until well after the rain had stopped falling.

And the rain didn't stop falling for a very long time.

Author's Note:

A great big thanks to my proofreaders, JohnPerry, Nonameknight and WhatTheMoo for their feedback, their suggestions and all the help they gave me in polishing this first chapter until it was finally ready to be posted. And an even bigger thanks to Demon Eyes Laharl for both letting me contribute to his gentlemanverse and for writing the two stories that inspired me to take up this endeavor in the first place.

Looking forward to those next updates, good sir!