• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 3,311 Views, 214 Comments

Peace at Last? - Prince_Staghorn



it is shortly after the Canterlot Wedding, and Queen Chrysalis has come home with her trusted high-general and a few other changelings. waiting for them are Chrysalis's two children. Staghorn, her son, may not be king yet, but he has an idea. Pe

  • ...
11
 214
 3,311

the Season of Spirits, part 1

INTERLUDE: THE SEASON OF SPIRITS, PART 1

PONYVILLE…

Vinyl poured the hot cocoa into her mug and took a cautious sip. It was perfect for the season. She looked out the window at the pristine white snow that had covered Ponyville.

Octavia was upstairs carefully wrapping Vinyl’s presents, an accordion and a dijeridu, to replace the ones Vinyl had broken only a few months before. She put the bows on the two wrapped presents, and then went downstairs.

She had only reached the bottom step when there was a knock at the door. Octavia opened it to find a familiar yellow mare with a blue mane and a straw hat. Across her back was the musician’s trademark fiddle. Octavia smiled at her sister.

“Fiddle! I’m so glad you could come! We’ve prepared everything in the guest room for your stay.”

Country Fiddle smiled. “Thanks, ‘Tavi. I’ll just be stayin’ fer tonight, though. I got a big show up near Fillydelphia, and I just wanted ta stop and say hi ta my sister and my favorite cousin. Oh yeah, that reminds me, these are from Mom and Dad.”

Fiddle took two carefully wrapped presents from out of her saddlebag. One was an elongated box, the perfect size for a new cello bow. The other was circular, about the size of a stack of new music records.

“Hey Fiddlesticks! What’s Up!?!”

Fiddle smiled at her cousin. “Hi Vinyl. Did you save any of that cocoa fer me?”

“You bet! Now let’s get inside. It’s cold out here! Oh, Octavia, Fiddle?”

“Yes, Vinyl?” the two mares asked.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve”

The three mares went inside and shut the door behind them.

...

Hearth’s Warming. A time to celebrate kinship and the closeness of friends. Relations between the ponies and changelings had dramatically improved, though there were always those who were leery of the shape-shifting equines. However, for most of the ponies, the changelings were now simply a part of life. The Cloudsdale Crushers had yet to lose a match since Flit had joined their team, thanks to her knowing a Zebrican fighting style known as the “dance of death,” Cheerilee could safely take a sick day because of Thud’s eagerness to teach, and the Mayor’s office had honestly never been better organized, thanks to Fly’s impeccable filing skills. However, today, all seemed quiet. It was as if all the changelings had sheltered themselves in their homes to defend themselves against something horrible.

Which was appropriate, because they had.

...

Pinkie jumped excitedly, the tassles on her blue and white hat bouncing with each hop her legs (clad in matching blue-and-white socks) took. Behind her, Twilight walked at a normal pace. They were heading towards the Changeling Castle.

“How do you think they celebrate Hearth’s Warming, Twilight?”

Twilight looked at her bouncing friend as they approached the castle.

“Apparently by hanging branches from the windows.”

Pinkie looked at the castle. Each window of the town-like castle complex had a changeling hovering near it, carefully hanging holly branches in front of them so they formed a sort of cage over the windows. Other changelings were spreading salt on the windows as well, and a few were carrying baskets full of Yen and Quids. One of the black, featureless coins dropped near Twilight, who picked it up for further inspection.

“Salutations, Miss Twilight, Miss Pinkamena. A lovely Hearth’s Warming Eve, is it not?”

The two ponies turned to find themselves staring up at Thud. The Bruiser smiled.

“Hi Thud!” said Pinkie. “How’s the teaching going?”

Thud smiled even more. “Madame Cheerilee seems to have finally become comfortable with the idea of me being left unattended around the foals. Those three known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders show some promise in the academic arts, if they would only apply themselves a little more. But, then again, I am only a substitute, so perhaps it is not my place to judge.”

“You are wondering about the Holly, salt, and coins. That is an interesting story, and I believe the queen will be telling the little ones soon, if you would like to listen.”

The two ponies looked at each other. They began following Thud to the Main Castle, and from there to the Foyer.

*

Chrysalis sat in her throne. In front of her sat a crowd of changeling foals, mostly workers, though a few royal youngsters stood out among the others. To Chrysalis’s left was Staghorn. To her right was Hope. Both of them were dressed in green capes with white trim, and both wore their small black crowns. There was something about the capes which suggested that they were Rarity’s work. However, they both paled in comparison to their mother’s cloak.

It too was one of Rarity’s works, yards of red silk with a white trim which had black spots to imitate the fur of a snow leopard. It was fastened at the front with a magnificent gold clasp, and Chrysalis had traded out her normal crown for one made of silver, with diamonds sparkling around the rim.

However, the most surprising thing, in Twilight’s opinion, were the three very familiar diamond dogs who stood among the crowds of adult changelings. Before she could point the three odd guests out, Chrysalis spoke.

“I am glad you all could be here, and I understand the reasons for those who could not. It is now Hearth’s Warming Eve, a time to remember our history, and the history of Equestria. I shall tell you the two tales, so we may be reminded of the bonds we share, as well as our fears of this night. Listen, as I tell you first the story of the Three Armies, and of the Peace we forged so long ago…”

Pinkie firmly sat down, while Twilight found herself listening with rapt attention as Chrysalis’s voice gave life to the story.

...

MANY THOUSAND YEARS AGO…

It had been many years since his family had been taken across the sea to this country. And now, he was ready to free it

Metamorphosis turned away from the forces he now led. To his right, the diamond dog king, Rex, tightened his grip on his mace. To his left, Strong Back, the white buffalo chieftan, pawed the ground. On the buffalo’s massive shoulders perched a phoenix-like bird with dark purple and blue plumage, and lightening-like markings around her eyes; Storm, Strong Back’s pet thunderbird.

Metamorphosis spoke to his companions.

“You two have stuck beside me since the day my clan was imprisoned by Tirek’s forces. Now, we shall provide one last fight so that the Elements may stop him forever.”

Strong Back snorted, watching as the Elements made their way to the castle with his Farsight. They were a simple band. A buffalo, who held Honesty. An armored earth pony pyromancer, Generosity. Another earth pony, one with an hourglass cutie mark, Loyalty. An earth pony lich, a skeleton in a dark robe, Laughter. A tall, stately elk, Kindness. And finally, two teenage alicorns, one pure white, the other midnight blue, sharing the element of Magic. Strong Back muttered a prayer to whatever spirits were listening that they would be safe.

Rex growled. “Tirek’s trolls come. I smell their stinking hides. They outnumber us by many.”

Metamorphosis grinned. “Then we shall fight them by standing on their heads.”

The Grundles came over the hills. It was as Rex had said. The primate-like reptiles outnumbered the combined forces of the three armies roughly a hundred to one. Metamorphosis grinned even wider. He unsheathed his long admantine sword. He turned to the armies.

“I hope you all are hungry,” he shouted. “For tonight, we dine in TARTARUS!!!”

The armies cheered, and as one, they rushed the enemy.

*

Screams abounded as spears, swords, horns, claws, and fangs tore through skin. Rex heaved up his club and brought it down with all his might, smashing in the skull of a grundle, sending cranial fragments flying with enough force to pierce the chests and hearts of enemies standing close enough. The fallen grundle let out a wet gurgle as its own blood and grey matter formed a grotesque halo around its ruined skull. Rex spit upon the body.

“Rrrgagahk grahk karshaak gruffik krrarkahk.” he growled. “May even maggots refuse to feast upon your corpse.” He then continued onward.

Not far away, Metamorphosis pulled his blade out of a grundle’s skull, and expertly slashed another across the stomach with his horn, the troll’s intestines spilling across the ground. The changeling had a look of glee on his face, and his eyes were bloodshot. The Battle-Madness had overtaken him, and though he would never hurt his allies, he frightened the enemy with his insane laugh alone. He would pass it down his bloodline if he lived through this, but he did not think about this fact as he bit into a grundle’s neck, tearing out the throat. He spat it out, and laughed like a stallion possessed.

A flash of light illuminated the battlefield as Storm summoned lightning to aid her companion. In between strikes, Strong Back charged the archers who would shoot the thunderbird, goring them on his sharp horns or mashing them into a bloody pulp beneath his hooves.
The battle went on until the sun set.

*

The battle had been won. The grundles retreated when a large rainbow disk had lit the sky. The Elements had defeated Tirek, who was now powerless. Equestria was free.

However, Metamorphosis was in mourning. Rex removed his helm and howled his sorrow to the night sky, while the thunderbird perched on Metamorphosis’s back wept bitter tears. Before them was the bloodstained body of Strong Back.

A young buffalo bull wept beside them. This was Strong Back’s son, Sagegrass, who was now chief. He stood.

“My father told me of his promise to the both of you, and I cannot fulfill it by crying over his passing.”

The other leaders nodded. Rex took out a scroll and a quill. Carefully, he dipped it in one of his wounds. “For honor,” he spoke, writing his name down. He passed it to Sagegrass.

Sagegrass dipped the quill into one of his father’s wounds. “For sacrifice,” he intoned, signing his and his father’s names. He passed the parchment to Metamorphosis, who took it in his magic and dipped it into a cut on his side, which still bled bright red.

“For loyalty among friends.” He put his signature down. The three spoke the last words together.

“In blood, we sign this treaty, ensuring our alliance, our loyalty, and our friendships shall never die!”

...

Chrysalis finished the first story, and Twilight could only gape. Such a tale of bloodshed and sorrow could not be good for the foals. Yet, a small noise started, and quickly grew in volume.

The sound was the buzzing of wings, the changeling equivalent of a cheer.

A small movement attracted Twilight’s attention. Sitting on a perch near the throne was a female thunderbird. Twilight looked at Thud.

She gestured at the bird. “Is that…?”

“Either the original or one of her line. Sagegrass gave Storm, a sacred animal to the buffalo, to Metamorphosis as a sign of trust. I do not know if thunderbirds are the same as their phoenix relatives, but I do know that the thunderbird is always female, and is always named Storm. But now Chrysalis is beginning the second story, so we should be silent.”

"But what about the holly branches and the salt?"

"Patience, all will be explained in the next story."

Twilight turned her head back towards the throne, her curiosity grabbing hold of her as she waited to hear more.

Author's Note:

Well, here's one of the reasons for the "gore" tag. be sure to comment, and stay tuned for part 2 of the interlude and Part 2 of the story!!!

the original elements of harmony belong to Overlord-Flinx's story The Legacy of Harmony.

the quid is an obsidian coin worth less than the average changeling yen