• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 3,311 Views, 214 Comments

Peace at Last? - Prince_Staghorn



it is shortly after the Canterlot Wedding, and Queen Chrysalis has come home with her trusted high-general and a few other changelings. waiting for them are Chrysalis's two children. Staghorn, her son, may not be king yet, but he has an idea. Pe

  • ...
11
 214
 3,311

Staghorn's Plan

PEACE AT LAST?
PART 1: NEW NEIGHBORS

"...King Metamorphosis looked out across the field at the opposing army. He turned to his companions, Lord Rex of the Diamond Dogs and Chief Strong Back of the Buffalo. Together, they turned to their forces, a combined army of the three races."

" 'Today, we fight for the freedom of our tribes!' began the changeling. 'No longer shall we suffer at the hands of Tirek! while the Elements fight him to the north, we shall fight his forces here! Now we shall...' "

The door opened and Staghorn looked up from his book. There was his mother, Queen Chrysalis, battered, beaten, and bruised.

"I take it the invasion went poorly?" he began.

His mother gave a small, light-hearted chuckle. "You have no idea. But how was it here, Staghorn?"

It was at that moment, High-General Double came behind the queen. Like Staghorn and Chrysalis, she was a Royal changeling, almost as tall as the queen, and with eyes that had definitive pupils. Staghorn smiled and brushed against her, enjoying the feel of her bristly black coat. She spoke.

"It's good to see you, Stag. Did our kids behave?"

"Yes, although your daughter is quite the talker. She drove her brother crazy while you were gone."

Double chuckled. "We agreed that on weekends, Silkworm was your daughter."

The prince laughed. Then his mother coughed. He turned back to her.

"Repairs have been made to the castle, though I'm afraid a rust monster got into the armory. We managed to chase it out before it could cause too much damage, though. Now then, the invasion?"

his mother sighed. "We were defeated when that Meinu princess and her Rokudenashi groom blasted us with a magic shield of love."

Staghorn considered this, ignoring the two curse words in Ancient Changeling (Modern Neighponese) that his mother had said. "They must have overloaded your systems. A changeling's body can only absorb so much love."

"You knew this would happen, didn't you?"

"Well, King Carapace tried it once 1,000 years ago, and the same thing happened. And should you really use those words? wasn't Cadence your friend?"

Chrysalis hung her head in shame briefly before regaining her composure. "Well then, my son, what do you suggest?"

Her son smiled. "Mother, when I was serving in Boardor, I met a minotaur by the name of John Caverns. He was a technological genius who owned a combustable lemon farm, based on the principle 'when life gives you lemons, you use them to burn down life's house.' I think he meant 'work with what is available.' And I intend to do just that."
...

"Peace? After what your Queen attempted?"

Celestia was not only shocked by the idea, but by the fact that the changeling before her had managed to get to the throne room to suggest it to her personally.

"It's not as if we're asking for forgiveness, it's just that my mother is confused. Certain... circumstances occured, and she went temporarily insane."

Celestia eyed the changeling prince.

"Sister, perhaps thou should not be quick to condemn an entire race for the actions of one individual. Remember, his kind was much help during the time of Tirek's rule."

Celestia looked at Luna, remembering full well the incident. She, Luna, and the other original bearers had only managed to get to the dark lord's castle because of help from the changelings.

And then there was the fact that Chrysalis was once a trusted ally...

"Very well," she sighed. "Let me see the treaty."
...

A castle flying through the sky was a sight to behold, even if it was only a small one. it was lifted by a glow, as if every changeling in the swarm was lifting it.

Which they were.

Queen Chrysalis looked around, before spotting a large field, beyond which lay Sweet Apple Acres. "There!" she cried.

Staghorn looked at her choice of land. "Well... it is outside their property."

"That's good enough for me!"
...

Below, Applejack looked up when she heard a loud THUD!

Looking around, she saw the castle that had appeared beyond the farm. She could only say one thing.

"What in 'tarnation?"
...

The Ground Team instantly went to work setting the foundation of the castle, while Chrysalis and Staghorn surveyed the lay of the land.
It was then that they saw an orange earth pony mare in a Stetson come charging towards them, leading a group of five other mares: a yellow Pegasus with a pink mane, a cyan Pegasus with a rainbow mane, a white unicorn with an expertly coiffed purple mane, a pink earth pony, and a lavender unicorn. Strangely, Stag also noticed a young Draco drakus rex (more commonly known as the Purple King Drake) with them.

They stared at each other for a minute, and Staghorn realized that his mother had fled into the safety of the castle. It looked like he was in charge of being the welcoming committee.

"Hello, I..."

His legs were yanked out from underneath him by a rope that had been expertly thrown by the orange mare, who preceded to hog-tie me. Staghorn recognized a triple-hooved barrel hitch, invented by an earth pony by the name of Rope Trick. This mare knew her knots.

"Listen up! Ya got three seconds ta start explainin' 'afore ah make ya answer!"

He smiled. "You must be Applejack."

She looked surprised. "How..."

Staghorn changed into his alternate female form, a grey unicorn mare with a dark mane and a scroll cutie mark. He/she slipped out of the knot, turned into his male disguise (the same as the female, only, you know, male) and calmly sat down in front of the group. "I assume you all will feel more at ease talking to somepony who looks like a pony, even though, genetically speaking, we are close cousins." He smiled gently.

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here?" the purple mare asked in a voice that was calmly holding back a flood of anger.

At that point, the young dragon burped up his ignatus magika (the magic fire all dragons are capable of producing), revealing a scroll.

"That, Miss... Twilight, I believe? That should explain everything."

Twilight opened the scroll.

My faithful student Twilight Sparkle,
I have sent you this letter to tell you news that you may find shocking. My sister and I have signed a treaty with the changelings in order to maintain peace. In return, they have been granted permission to settle anywhere they choose outside Ponyville's borders. I want you and your friends to keep an eye on them.
-Princess Celestia

Twilight stood shocked. Stag smiled.

"I guess this means we're neighbors."

Author's Note:

Welp, here it is. The first part of the First story in the Staghorn series.Criticism is welcome!
also, you know, MLP:FiM belongs to Hasbro, blah blah blah. also, fanart for a cover image is appreciated.