• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 3,312 Views, 214 Comments

Peace at Last? - Prince_Staghorn



it is shortly after the Canterlot Wedding, and Queen Chrysalis has come home with her trusted high-general and a few other changelings. waiting for them are Chrysalis's two children. Staghorn, her son, may not be king yet, but he has an idea. Pe

  • ...
11
 214
 3,312

Discussions and Aftermath

SOMEWHERE ON A MOUNTAIN…

Two cloaked figures stood overlooking the changeling castle.

The shorter of the two looked up at his companion, and raised himself on his back hooves, carefully removing an ebony violin from the case he carried. “Shall we attack now, mistress?”

“Hush, Näcken. We shall wait until the ritual is completed after the pony’s silly little Winter Wrap-Up. Then, and only then, in the dark of the Night Everlasting, shall we make our move.”

The tall figure removed her hood, revealing a Royal changeling mare who resembled a younger version of Chrysalis, save for the fact that her mane and eyes were deep red and her coat was a brilliant white. Her crown was forged Mithril, inlaid with rubies.

“This is no longer my own petty grudge. The ponies and changelings grow closer with each passing day. They could pose a threat. After the ritual, we attack,” her red eyes flashed turquoise, “For Equestria’s True Queen.”

Näcken bowed, stowing away his violin. “It is as you say, Princess Nattfjäril.”

The two albino changelings flew off to receive further instructions from their master.

...

THE CHANGELING CASTLE…
Chrysalis looked around.

Before her was a large get-together of both ponies and changelings. Chrysalis could hear two types of music. To her left, from the ballroom, was the sound of… Chrysalis couldn’t quite describe it, but it was LOUD.

To her right, however, was the sound of music that sounded more at home at a gala.

“HI CHRYSSIE!”

Chrysalis and her grandfather backed up at the sudden appearance of Pinkie. Chrysalis straightened her crown, and then confronted the mare. “Pinkie, was it? Care to explain all this?”

Pinkie began, suddenly remembering Chrysalis’s comments about her choice of decorations during the wedding. “Well…”

“It was my idea, mother,” Hope explained, coming behind Chrysalis. “I…”

“You misunderstand me,” Chrysalis interrupted. “You appear to have forgotten that the amount of streamers decorating the party in question must be directly proportional to the number of items being served at the snack bar.” Chrysalis gave a genuine smile.

Hope and Pinkie looked astonished.

“What? Hope, I told you I was quite the party animal when I was your age. Grandpa, could you get item 548? And then why don’t you get some rest?”

The skull sighed. A pentacle suddenly formed below him. There was a flash of light, and suddenly, the pentacle and skull were replaced by a large black cannon. Pinkie gasped.

“NO WAY!!! AN ACTUAL VINTAGE JOYMASTER 500 PARTY CANNON!?! THERE WERE ONLY FOUR EVER MADE!!!”

Chrysalis raised an eyebrow. “Care to take it for a spin?”

...

Several hours later, the party had died down. Pinkie was happy that her plan to both greet the changelings and simultaneously show the citizens of Ponyville that the changelings weren’t so bad had worked. Tension was still there, but it was lessened by the fun times that were had at the party. They had stayed separate at the start of the party, but had begun mingling as it went on, with Chrysalis even deciding to issue a proclamation removing the vow of silence on the worker changelings. Tours of the castle were given, conversations were had, and games were played.

The sun had almost set by now, and the partygoers had reduced in numbers by about three quarters. At one table, the six Bearers of the Elements were discussing their new neighbors.

“You know, these guys aren’t so bad,” Rainbow Dash said, taking a gulp of her drink.

“Ah gotta agree with ya’ there, Dash,” Applejack replied. “Though ah wonder what they’re puttin’ in this apple cider.”

“It’s Reindeer Lichen,” Twilight replied. “It’s a small plant only found far up north in places like Tarandoland. It tastes disgusting, and believe me, I know. I wonder how they managed to make this work?”

“Crush the lichen with the apple grinder, then crush the apples with the lichen juice-covered grinder,” Staghorn said, going past the table blindfolded, with a paper tail in his mouth.

The six ponies looked as the blindfolded prince as he walked past in an attempt to pin the tail on a poster with a picture of a donkey on it.

“He certainly is unique, isn’t he?” said a voice. The ponies turned around to see Night Shade, the Captain of the Night Guard who they had met (briefly) after Twilight and her friends had defeated Chrysalis.

“I’m here to…,” she looked at an important-looking document, “‘Observe the changelings in order to make sure peace is contained.’ That’s officially, anyway.” She leaned down.

“But between you and me,” she whispered, “I’m actually here to have a good time and see if the princesses are able to enjoy a changeling party.” She winked and nodded her head towards a pair of pegasus mares, one white with a pink mane and a flame cutie mark, the other blue with a crescent moon cutie mark. The white pegasus winked at Twilight.

“Is that…,” Twilight began, only to be cut off by the noctral guard.

“SHHHH! They’re incognito right now! I’m just here to tell you that if you’ve got a report, just give it to me, and I’ll get it to Celestia as soon as possible.”

Twilight looked around. Spike was dancing with the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Staghorn’s foals. The purple unicorn began to walk towards the group, briefly wondering exactly how good a mother she would make. She shook the thought away. That probably would not happen for a long time.

She managed to get Spike away from the group and have him take a letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,
These past seven weeks have been a true test of our willingness to forgive. Truly friendship comes in the most interesting of forms and from the most surprising of places. I see now that we must not judge based on our own grudges, but instead accept the proffered hoof. Who knows what bonds may be forged from there?
Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.

When Twilight was finished, she gave the document to the waiting thestral mare, who gladly accepted it.

Soon, the only ponies left in the castle were the six bearers, Ditzy, Night Shade, and Zecora.

A changeling blew on a large horn which had been shaped to look like the maw of a roaring draconic beast. Immediately, several changeling workers with purple eyes and no wings began cleaning. Applejack immediately took notice of the way they got the decorations near the ceiling down: Well-placed kicks dislodged the decorations, and the changelings expertly caught them in baskets they carried on their backs, not even missing the tiniest bit of confetti.

“Magnificent, aren’t they?” said a voice. Applejack turned to find a male changeling of the same type as the ones cleaning, calmly chewing on a piece of straw. He spoke again.

“Bruisers may be the strongest, and longfangs the best at tunnelin’. Vanishers make good bodyguards, and ya can’t complain ‘bout the versatility of a common worker. But if ya want good, honest work done, there’s no beating us grounders. Sure, we can’t fly, but that don’t mean we’re useless! All that means ta me is that ah gotta work twice as hard as any other changeling. Ah’m sorry, ah don’t believe we’ve been prop’rly introduced, Miss…?”

“Applejack.”

“Well, Miss Applejack, you just call me Boll Weevil. Ah know, it’s not a real good name, but it’s the one my Ma Weevil gave me, and ah’m proud ta have it. Now, if’n you’ll excuse me, ah’ve got some work ta do.” He turned to the other grounders.

“All right Weevils!” he shouted. “Let’s clean this mess!”

...

LATER… MIDNIGHT…

“Well, Mom? What did you think?”

Chrysalis looked at Staghorn and smiled.

“Maybe this peace thing was a good idea. I’m proud of you, son.”

Staghorn smiled in return, and then helped Double gather up Silkworm and Mandible. The royal family said their goodnights, and soon, all was silent in both Ponyville and the changeling castle.

The moon shone upon the beginnings of a new page in Equestria’s history.

Author's Note:

This is the last part of part 1 of this fic. Part 2 will be forthcoming.
So? Questions? Comments? All are welcome!
Tarandoland is the creation of seiurin's fic Under the Northern Lights, which I Highly recommend.