• Published 15th Feb 2013
  • 3,312 Views, 214 Comments

Peace at Last? - Prince_Staghorn



it is shortly after the Canterlot Wedding, and Queen Chrysalis has come home with her trusted high-general and a few other changelings. waiting for them are Chrysalis's two children. Staghorn, her son, may not be king yet, but he has an idea. Pe

  • ...
11
 214
 3,312

The Eve of Battle

“A toast to the future! May it always be bright!”

“Here here!”

Stag, Vinyl, Octavia, and Wubzy put their water glasses together, celebrating the recent news that Nightmare Moon (Nyx?) had stepped down and disbanded the Children of Nightmare. As such, Stag had invited two members of his circle of pony friends to come to the castle (which was visible once again) in order to celebrate with a live broadcast of The Vinyl Scratch. After a session of getting Chrysalis to calm down (“It’s just for fun, Mom! She didn’t mean it!”), the resulting after party had died down. There had been no alcohol, so Staghorn had simply drunk water, much to his chagrin. “It’s not a real party without booze,” he mumbled, “But I suppose I may have been overdoing it the past couple of weeks.”

Vinyl laughed. “Yeah, from what that red-eyed bodyguard of yours said, you’re not much fun after 60 beers.”

“Hey, it’s not that I’m not fun, it’s that I’m unfairly honest! There’s a distinct difference!”

The two glared at each other, and then burst out laughing. Octavia cleared her throat.

“Well, Prince Staghorn, this has been lovely, but I think we should be heading…”

“YOUR HIGHNESS!”

The group turned as Trace burst through the doors.

“Yes, Trace?”

“The fauna of the Everfree are attacking Ponyville!”

“What!?!” Staghorn shot up. “Ready the troops! We need to…”

“Sire… there are other issues…”

Stag glared at the gelded changeling. “Such as…?”

“Your sister wishes to see you and your mother.”

“Tell Hope that this can wait!”

“Your other sister.”

Stag’s eyes widened. He turned to Octavia and Vinyl.

“Stay here.”

Stag came into the throne room.

In front of his mother stood a changeling queen who was an exact likeness of Chrysalis, save for one detail: the mare was albino. She turned her head to smile at Staghorn. It was the smile of a predator.

“Hello, brother dearest. Miss me?”

Chrysalis stood. “Moth, what are you doing here?”

“My name is Nattfjäril,” the mare said with a snarl.

Stag raised a hoof to his chin. “Doesn’t that mean Night Butterfly in Poatsi?”

The albino glared at him. “I never liked you.”

Staghorn bared his teeth. “You made that obvious when you tried to murder me when I was five.”

Nattfjäril smiled. “Of course. How else could I guarantee that I would inherit the throne?”

Chrysalis shook with rage. “I banished you, and you have the gall to return here? This is grounds for execution!”

The albino turned to her mother. “Ah, but here is the thing. Your castle is currently surrounded by an army of well-trained albino changeling warriors. Help is not coming, as the ponies are dealing with monsters at the minute, and even with that traitorous queen helping them, they do not have the time or the experience to help you. The Children’s dream may have fallen apart, but I could still be queen of all Equestria. Since the Princesses are… indisposed, and since Nightmare Moon turned out to be such a disappointment, there is only one group of royals standing in my way.”

She laughed and flew out the nearest window, presumably the same one through which she had entered. Chrysalis turned to her son.

“Get Double to ready the troops. Now.”

SEVERAL MINUTES LATER…

Several warriors were lined on the parapets and ramparts of the castle. The Air Squads were hovering in attack formation, while the ground troops organized and formed rank. All those too young or otherwise unsuited for battle had retreated to the catacombs.

In a secret chamber, Double, Chrysalis, Staghorn, and Hope stood in front of a small, ancient changeling mare in an emerald-green cloak. She chanted as she carefully washed six blades. Another changeling in a dull green cloak slowly beat a massive drum.

“Kyrana Zyrin Hiliim, Kyrana Loran Xera, Kyrana Zyrin Hiliim, Kyrana Loran Xera…”

The mystic carefully placed the blades in front of each changeling: twin katanas for Stag, a pair of fan blades for Hope, a claymore for Double, and a scythe for Chrysalis. She then took out a small bowl filled with green clay, and carefully daubed designs on the faces of the royal family, still reciting her mantra.

“Kyrana Zyrin Hiliim, Kyrana Loran Xera, Kyrana Zyrin Hiliim, Kyrana Loran Xera…”

The mystic fell silent, and from the folds of her cloak took out a Hrrishyx a changeling ceremonial knife with a curvy obsidian blade and an ironwood handle decorated with ancient runes, and carefully cut three strands of hair from each mane. She took the twelve hairs and threw them onto a fire. She turned back to the four changelings, and carefully put their armor into place. When she had finished, she produced a black flower. It was a Black Morrigan, a species which was poisonous to most creatures except changelings. It was used as food, decoration, and as a part of the changeling’s most important rituals, such as the rite of purification that royals took before going into battle. The mystic took the flower and delicately removed five petals, giving one to each changeling before eating the fifth one herself.

“Go in peace, and may your enemies find equal peace in the afterlife. May Lady Death be kind if she finds you, and may her kiss be as soft as the feathers of her wings.”

The four fully armored changelings stood, sheathing their swords. They nodded to the mystic, and walked out. The acolyte brought her hoof down one final time on the drum, and the room was completely silent.

“Vinyl, what are you doing?”

Octavia watched as her cousin carefully worked on the portable speaker she had insisted on bringing. Stag had told them moments ago that the castle was under siege, and though Octavia had wanted to take his advice and head down to the catacombs, Vinyl insisted on staying put and working on the equipment. Vinyl turned to her cousin.

“I am trying to get ready to kick some flank, and you’re going to help me.”

“What?”

“You heard me, ‘Tavi. We’re going to help them, so I suggest you get your plot in gear and use that military training your grandpa gave you.”

“But Grandpa Harbinger never actually expected me to…”

“Tavi, these are our friends.”

Octavia looked unsure. “Fine,” she finally conceded. “But if we live, you’re doing the dishes for a year.”

Vinyl smiled. “It’s a deal.”

Nattfjäril looked at the castle. Around her, a swarm of albino changelings stood or hovered, ready for battle. She cast a glance at her general.

“Nacken, you may begin your attack.”

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long.

Comments? We're nearly finished!