• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 683 Views, 8 Comments

This Night - 7H



The Beginning. I will attempt to take you where others have never gone before! We begin our story with the brilliant scientist Prof. Gin, who has just achieved the pinnacle of all Human Discovery...

  • ...
7
 8
 683

Chapter 6 - New Doors, No Keys

Chapter 6 - New doors, No keys

I opened the door, and thankfully, it wasn't snowing or raining, just pretty cold. Turning around, I waved goodbye to my rescuer. "Goodbye. Thanks for saving me and all."

"Farewell. Also, if you see somepony named Pine Doctor, let him know I haven't kicked the bucket yet. Good bye!"

I turned and shut the door behind me, as I began into the surprisingly fairly lit night towards the top of the mountain.

Bet you're glad I found you; now you can see in the dark.

'Oh yeah, love that. You found me, and now I'm stuck in a foreign place trudging through snow at night. Lovin' it.' I was finally near the summit, and took a look at all the surrounding area. For miles in all directions, it was simply snow, aside from a small patch I could see that must have been the forest Shirotora had been talking about.

'Well, now we at least know where to go. Know anything about forests?'

I know that they have lots of trees.

'I swear, you're taking on my sense of humor.'

I'm honored.

Yeah, definitely making an influence.

The next five hours was spent making our way to the forest, which now stood over us, pretty impressive up close. "Well, no time like the present, I suppose." And so we began our trek into the forest.

***

As I took my first step into the forest, immediately I could hear rustling leaves, nocturnal birds chirping in the night, the occasional rustling bush. Compared to the snow plain, this place was a rock concert. It was even darker here, but I could still see my way in the fairly closed in pine forest.

It was pretty nice having pine needles under my hooves rather than snow for a change. ‘Trees were an awesome invention’.

I initially just wound myself around the random little clearings the pines made, but after a few minutes I found a path, and I followed it. ‘Seems like a hiking trail. I used to love going to places for short hikes. I always thought the brief exercise was a nice reprieve from the stresses of my job, and it was useful for clearing one’s head.’

Where I am from, clearing one’s head means emptying it out. It isn't an enjoyable experience.

Note to self: Teach Erlking what facepalming is. The path wound down a gradual slope, to even out in a few hundred yards. The trail, however, stopped at the end of a slope, in front of a small lake. I wondered how it wasn’t frozen, but I didn’t think it was really that cold outside anyway, so I didn’t really care. I continued along the path until it ended, and I stood before the body of water.

'So, what no--' My thoughts ended when a half serpent, half pony came out of the water, about fifteen feet in front of me. It looked to be half submerged, but it was big. Standing in the water, it was slightly taller than me. It looked at me, and instantly I knew this was a predator, and it was above me in the food chain.

"Ho...ly...shit..." Was all I managed to say. It then looked at me inquisitively, and said with clear English,

"An Earth pony that speaks Seapony? Tell me, who are you and why are you trespassing in my domain?" It said while ferociously grinning, showing rows upon rows of razor sharp teeth.

"Um..." Was all I managed to get out while looking at the impressive figure before me. The Seapony sighed.

"Just another pony then, I guess. Lunchtime!" That's when it launched itself at me, water trailing in the air. I huddled up in a ball, which I still do not know how I did, and screamed as loudly as I could,"GO AWAY!" Nothing happened. I unrolled myself from the position I was in, and no one was there anymore.

I tried to say 'what was that', but I couldn't find the voice. Great, now I have to let my voice return to me too. Fantastic.

'Did you see that? Where did the Seapony go?'

It disappeared after you yelled. I don't know what you did, but I suppose you scared it off somehow.

Whatever the case, I didn't intend to stick around to find out. I spotted the other side of the lake where the path resumed, so I walked around the lake for the next hour or so and picked up where I left off. I continued down the path for a few hours, until the trees thinned out. I was now in what looked like a plain, though with a few scattered hills here and there.

I scanned the newly opened environment, and spotted some lights in the distance. ‘Civilization!? ABOUT TIME!!’. I started trotting to the lights, some distance away, attempting to ignore my still healing wounds.

About half the way there, I was knocked down from behind and a sack went over my head. “AHHH!!! What the hell? Who is that!?”

“Who are you, and why are you coming from the Everfree, pony? I’ve never seen you before, and Ponyville is currently under lockdown, due to a recent changeling incident. How do I know you’re not a changeling?”

Who is this guy? Who the hell does he think he is, obscuring your vision like that? . And what’s this changeling crap about? That was some of my entertainment, even as boring as it was! No offense.

‘None taken. What should I do about this? Er... I’ve just the thing.’

“Everfree? I apologize, but I’ve no idea where I am. I woke up in the forest, found a path, and followed it. I then saw some lights, so I got excited and went to them as quickly as I could manage. I’d appreciate it if you’d let me go, seeing as I haven’t done anything wrong. Oh, and what’s a changeling?”

He slowly took off the sack, and the world promptly appeared around me. I saw the pony who had sacked me was a white pegasus stallion with an absurdly long jet black mane and bright red eyes. On his flank he had an image of a solid black shield. It had three points on the top with the center point higher, and tapered to a single point at the bottom.

“Well... I guess. My name is Night. Do you remember your name at least?”

“Gin. That’s really all I know about myself at this point anyway.”

“Well Gin, it’s strange to find random ponies wandering to Ponyville from a place renowned for its evil mysteries, especially ones claiming severe amnesia. Changelings are a branched species of pony who consume the love of other ponies. I’m sure you understand. I’ll tell you what. I’ll let you continue to Ponyville on one condition.”

“Which is..?”

“You must come with me to ascertain whether or not you are a danger to the citizens of Equestria, changeling or not. Follow me; we’re going to pay City Hall a visit.”

“Fantastic...”

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long guys!! D: Between school, writing, reading, and editing it's been hard to find the time, but here is the 1st edit version of chapter 6! Enjoy

Comments ( 4 )

I like that Night guy. He seems cool.

im guessing his full name is night watch? :rainbowlaugh:

2171383 i figured not really but it sounded like an interesting name for a pony that caught the main character in the middle of the night

Login or register to comment