• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 1,714 Views, 70 Comments

One Trip We Didn't Plan - That Pegasus Over There



After two friends go on a day hike, they take a small fall and realize they're not in a Mississippi forest anymore.

  • ...
14
 70
 1,714

A game with gods...

One Trip We Didn't Plan

Chapter 13

Doug and Kevin walked over to the bean bag chairs, unsure of what Luna was going to do. The Alicorn of the night walked back to her door and called for a maid. Doug and Kevin sat in silence. They tried to listen to Luna, but did not hear the exact words. They significant words they were able o make out were tea, sugar, and chess. Luna walked back to the boys.

"Well then, shall we get started?"

"By all means." Kevin said.

Luna took a seat on a pillow across from the boys. "Before we begin asking you questions about your world, do you have any questions about mine?"

"Yeah, actually, I do." Kevin huffed. "How do you know we even exist? Or even have a world?"

"We told you we used a scrying spell."

"How did you know we were there to begin with?"

"The legends, I assure you."

"No, I mean us. As in, me and Doug here. Where did you find us?"

"Oh... That..." Luna paused, thinking how she should word what she was about to say. "Dost thou know of the story of my banishment to the moon?"

"Yes."

"No."

"Then we shall start there. A thousand years ago..."

"Your sister over shadowed you and you became jealous. You proceeded to attempt to throw Equestria into eternal night when your sister used magical artifacts, known as the Elements of Harmony, to banish you to the moon for a thousand years." Doug smirked at his knowledge of pony lore. "You came back as the prophecy foretold and the new bearers of the Elements were revealed. Applejack, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy. That's all right, right?"

"Yes it tis, young man."

Luna sat looking at Doug with a saddened expression on her cobalt face. Kevin was figuratively blown away by Doug's knowledge.

"Thou apparently art a 'brony' from thy world. Thou have obviously studied our history. More particularly, my biggest mistake."

"Luna, its not your fault- not entirely at least. Your sister overshadowed you and you wanted to be recognized for your work. I... understand."

"THOU COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND!!" Luna screamed at Doug. Her outburst sent both boys onto their backs. Luna started to cry. "I-...I... you don't realize what I did..."

The boys sat back up and remained silent while Luna sobbed to herself.

Dammit! I made her cry! Shit! Shit! Shit! Ummmm... Think Doug think! Doug thought to himself. Kevin spoke up.

"I'm not a hundred percent sure of all the details, but, princess, you need to stop dwelling on the past. Let go. What's done is done, and you can't change that. But what you can change is your future."

Luna and the boys sat in silence. She stopped sobbing. The air in the room was tense after Luna's outburst. No one knew what to say. Then the maid Luna sent out earlier returned with tea and a box which she set on Luna's dresser.

"Will that be all, princess?"

"Yes. We thank thee. You may go now."

"Thank you."

"Thanks a bunch!"

The maid walked out the door unphased by the two inter-dimensional beings meeting with her ruler.

"Ah. The tea is here." Luna said as she poured herself a cup. "Feel free to have some, ambassadors."

The two humans poured themselves a cup of tea each after Luna was done. Doug was the only one in the room who added sugar. The three sat around for a few more minutes until Doug asked a question that had been on his mind.

"So Luna, why ummm... Why'd you call for a chess set?"

"How, by our sister's beard, dost thou know about that?"

"We partly overheard you talking with the maid earlier. I'm guessing you play?"

"We do. Would you care for a game? It might, how do they say it nowadays, break the ice."

"I'm not great, but Kev here was a state champion!"

"I was runner-up, Doug. An' that happened in fourth grade, it's been years since I've played." Kevin protested.

"Let us play a round then!" Luna started to float the chess board over, setting it up while still in the air. "Thou should know, we have not lost a game yet!...unless it was to our sister."

"Well beating me should be easy then. White or black?"

"We shall choose... Black!"

"This is gonna be good." Doug said as he leaned back in his beanbag chair.

"You're next." Luna said looking directly at Doug. He could only gulp and watch as the game played out before him.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"AHA! Checkmate! We win!" Kevin was not surprised at his loss. He was facing a questionably immortal being with great knowledge of the multiverse, how could he win?

"Alright," Doug sighed, "guess I'm up." He switched places with Kevin as Luna reset the board with her magic.

"This will be most fun!"

"Hopefully I can break that streak of yours. I'll take black, if you don't mind."

"We don't mind at all."

It was a very quick match.

"Well... you got me."

"AHA! The fun has been doubled!" As Luna said that, Doug smiled. He loved that phrase.

"Princess, care for a rematch?" Kevin asked.

"Why certainly, if thou wantest to be bested again. So be it."

"I think I might win this time."

"Thou will try."

"White please."

"I hate to interrupt, Luna, but didn't you want to ask us questions about Earth? You certainly didn't just call us here to play chess." Doug butted in after Kevin made his first move, king's pawn to E4. His standard opening move.

"Ah, yes. I wanted to know how you knew about us. In particular, where you had gotten those pictures."

"Oh. Well... I should probably start by telling you that you don't exist in our world."

Luna remained silent. She mindlessly moved a pawn, clearly contemplating what Doug had just said.

"I know Equestria from a TV show called My Little Pony: Firendship is Magic. Its... entertainment that follows Twilight and her friends throughout Equestria."

Kevin muttered something under his breath and moved his king side bishop to C4. Luna remained silent. She mindlessly moved a knight. It was very clear she was not thinking about the game at her hooves.

"The pictures came from fans of the show, like myself, who draw. Someone drew Twilight and your sister because they thought it would be funny."

Kevin decided to do something risky, he moved his only queen to F3.

"That's how I know about your fall, your banishment, your return, and your redemption." Luna's ears fell. "I've also watched as Discord returned, Queen Chrysilis's attack, and King Sombra's return. I know a good bit of your universe, Luna. I hope this is same universe as the show. I shudder to think what kind of alternate universes I could be in."

"Well then... Now that thou hast explained to me how thou know me, it is time I told thee how I know of your world." Luna said. "We know of thee by scrying on thee. But that has been said. We hath been watching Kevin from a very young age."

Kevin's eyes widened at the statement. Doug folded his hands and laid his chin on his thumbs.

"We watched you go from place to place seeing how human life worked. We could infer the building thou went into, as well as thy age. We knew thou would like to play pranks from the way others reacted. We knew who your friends and acquaintances are, your enemies too. When we returned from the moon and was saved from the nightmare... we... we decided to bring thee here on a whim. to finally meet the human we watched for so long." She paused waiting for a question.

"You were on the moon for a thousand years right? I'm only sixteen. How could you have been following me for over a thousand years?"

"And not that I'm complaining, but why'd I come as well?" Doug quickly added.

"Ah yes. the multiverse works in strange ways. Thou were not the only one we watched, no. we watched hundreds of universes. As for you Doug, you were with Kevin when I decided to brig him here. I needed him alone and thou were the only one with him. We figured one more couldn't hurt."

"So, you're saying I'm just collateral?"

"If thou wishes to think of it that way. Yes." Luna developed a knight to C6. Doug slumped in his chair disappointed.

"You can send us home right?" Kevin asked.

"Thou want to leave already?"

"Princess, I mean so offense; but we have a family to go back home to. They probably think we're dead. Eaten by some animal."

"We see." Luna stared into the fireplace for some time. Kevin held off his final lightning-mate move until Luna finished what she was saying.

"Sending you home will take some time. But it can be done."

"Great to hear. Oh, and checkmate." Kevin smiled as he moved his queen to F7 capturing a pawn and checking Luna's king.

Luna only sighed. "Yes... I guess it is good to hear..." She wasn't paying attention at all.