• Published 15th Jan 2013
  • 3,483 Views, 19 Comments

The Return of Sombra - WriteAboutHorses



King Sombra, ruler of the Crystal Empire was defeated 1000 years ago and sealed away in the arctic north of Equestria, but he left something behind that could bring him back.

  • ...
7
 19
 3,483

The Great Escape

Chapter 8: The Great Escape

Cadence closed the book and levitated it back to the bookcase before anyone noticed it was gone. She had spent a while reading about King Sombra's history, who would've thought he was once a good pony corrupted by the darkness within him.

"Cadence, you've been reading for nearly an hour!" Spike said "Did you find anything helpful."

Cadence sighed "Nothing that could help us defeat Sombra. Just the fact that he was once a good pony. We still need the Crystal Amulet to help us."

A shadow guard entered the throne room and walked straight to the cage holding the two prisoners.

"What do you want?" Cadence flared.

"I want to help" A sparkly flash transformed the dark shadowy pony into a white, muscular stallion.

"Lietenant Onyx!" Cadence gasped. "How are you not a prisoner?"

"I 'surrendered' to Sombra and he let me join his guards. Secretly I knew you would return, I knew about the Crystal Amulet, so if you were to return and Sombra caught you, I could be of some help." The guard unlocked the cage and set the two prisoners free.

"I've already released the rest of your team. Follow me and I'll show you where they're hidden."

Onyx led Spike and Cadence through the castle, until they reached an old library which didn't look like it had been used since the empire returned.

Onyx opened a hidden door in a bookcase and led his friends through the old catacombs of the castle. They soon reached a spacious cave where Twilight, the elements, Luna, Shining Armor and Trixie were waiting.

"Spike!" Twilight hugged the baby dragon.

"Cadence!" Shining Armor and Cadence shared a kiss after being reunited.

"We've already gathered the Crystal Dust and the shard from the Crystal Heart" Trixie announced.

"Great!" Cadence smiled.

"Now all we need is your blessing on them" Shining Armor continued

Cadence lit her horn. The light blue aura englufed the mixture of the shard and the blue crystal dust. The aura got brighter and brighter until the objects it was holding dissapeared in the light. When the aura dissapeared a tiny blue crystal heart appeared, held in a gold necklace.

"We did it!" Applejack gasped

"We did it! We're gonna kick Sombra's flank!" Rainbow Dash announced excitedly.

"Wait!" Cadence shushed everypony "The Crystal Amulet needs a bearer, and It'll only let somepony who's intentions are pure take it on."

Trixie sighed "I started this whole mess, so I'm gonna stop it!" The blue unicorn levitated the amulet over to her and put it on. A surge of power went through her, like when she put on the Alicorn Amulet, but it felt even better.

The crystal in it began glowing and a blue beam shot out of it and dissapeared.

"I wonder what that was" Luna pondered. Suddenly her horn started glowing.

"Princess! What's happening to your horn?" Fluttershy asked

"My sister, I sense that whatever the amulet did, it turned her back to normal. I must go to see me sister right away!" Luna teleported away before anypony could even take in what she had said.

"I guess this is it girls" Twilight began. "The battle for the Crystal Empire begins now"

And with that, the team, now short Luna, left the cave to confront Sombra once and for all.

Author's Note:

Back down to 600 words, oh well, I've written the next chapter and I think it's pretty long. We're nearly there guys!! Only 2 more chapters to go, the next chapter is the final battle against Sombra and the 10th chapter will be an epilogue of sorts. Anyway, what do you think of the story so far? Please let me know what you think and any errors I made please let me know so I can fix them ASAP.