• Published 15th Jan 2013
  • 3,483 Views, 19 Comments

The Return of Sombra - WriteAboutHorses



King Sombra, ruler of the Crystal Empire was defeated 1000 years ago and sealed away in the arctic north of Equestria, but he left something behind that could bring him back.

  • ...
7
 19
 3,483

The Final Battle

Chapter 9: The Final Battle

Sombra paced in his throne room, a small group of his guards were there with him.

"How could they have escaped?" The king pondered "That cage was magic and fireproof. There was absolutely no possible way they could have escaped on their own. Someone helped them. All of you bumbling fools have keys to the cage. One of you let them out. Are all 7 of the key holders here?"

"No, your majesty, Onyx, the new recruit, is missing."

"Onyx!" Sombra growled, he never trusted that stallion, he never should have let him join the guards.

"Find him!" The unicorn demanded. "Bring him back to me so he can be punished for what he has done!"

Sombra noticed a blue glow in the corner of his eyes. He turned around to look out his window to see the most shocking sight he had ever seen since he overpowered Prince Shadow Blaze and took over his body. There, in the street below. The fools whom he had locked away were out fighting his guards, the mare he had tricked intro setting him free was wearing something on her neck. No, it couldn't be. It wasn't possible. The Crystal Amulet?

Trixie was using the amulet to convert the guards back into Crystal Guards. She had already gone through about half of the troop attacking them.

"Forget Onyx! All of you get out there and put a stop to this!" Sombra screamed. Now he was mad, how dare these ponies try to defeat him.

Outside, the battle was getting more intense as more and more guards showed up.

"Trixie, use the amulet to crystallise them! Converting them all is taking too long, and if we beat Sombra they'll all go back to normal anyway!" Cadence commanded.

Trixie built up the magic in her amulet and sent out a powerful wave, turning all the shadow guards in the empire into crystal statues.

Sombra appeared on his balcony and began shooting his dark magic down at the group, he was far more powerful than his guards!

Trixie galloped off into the castle and climbed up the stairs leading to the throne room.

With all his guards turned into statues, Sombra had put a curse on the castle. Everypony inside were now his mindless puppets. Trixie ran into some and tried to break the spell, but the spell was too powerful! Trixie kept running, trying to avoid them. But one of them grabbed her by the hooves and dragged her down to stairs.

Outside, the rest of the team tried to keep Sombra distracted while Trixie was making her way up to him.

"Trixie should be up there by now, I hope she's ok" Twilight said, shooting her magic beams at the tyrant king.

"Don't worry Twiley" Shining Armor replied "Trixie seems like the kind of mare who'd never give up on anyone, she'll keep trying no matter what, hopefully"

Twilight smiled at her brother, even in a situation like this he never failed to calm her down. "I love you, Shiny"

"I love you too, Twiley" The two siblings hugged, hoping this wouldn't be the end for the two of them.

"Hey! Hate to interupt the family moment, but Sombra's kind fo winning, so could you two quit being all mushy and help us?" Rainbow Dash yelled.

In the castle, Trixie was at the mercy of Sombra's minions. They were closing in just as the amulet started glowing all by itself. Another wave of energy froze all the mind zombies into crystal statues and Trixie bolted for the throne room.

She entered the room, Sombra was out on the balcony, he hadn't noticed she had arrived.

"Sombra!" Trixie yelled. The unicorn king turned around.

"Ah, Trixie!" Sombra grinned evily. "Have you decided to join me and defeat these fools?"

Trixie grew angry "These fools.... are my friends!" Trixie replied. This whole adventure had made her see that even after how she had treated Twilight and her friends, they still saw her as a good pony who deserved a second chance. They truly were Trixie's friends.

While thinking about this, Trixie didn't notice Sombra snatch her amulet and run with it.

"Hey! Give that back" Trixie used a magic cancelling spell, causing Sombra to drop the amulet right at the edge of the balcony, even the slightest movement of the artifact could cause it to fall, dooming Equestria forever.

Trixie ran to grab it but was pulled back by Sombra's magic. She was just inches away from grabbing it but Sombra's grip was strong. She needed to use all her magic to keep him from pulling any further, if she tried to levitate the amulet she would lose her grip.

Trixie reached out further, focusing her magic to try and weaken Sombra's grip more. Just a little bit closer.... closer.....

Trixie grabbed the amulet in her hoof and put it on. She obliderated Sombra's grip spell and forced him into a corner.

Sombra knew he was defeated. He humbly bowed his head to Trixie. "Go on, do it, you've got me. Use your amulet and finish me off."

Trixie grinned as she wrapped Sombra in a blue aura. The kings eyes began to glow as a black shadowy essence faded off of him and dissapeared into the air. Sombra was gone. In the king's place stood a slightly smaller, less muscular stallion, Shadow Blaze!

"Thank you" The young stallion smiled at Trixie.

The two unicorns raced down to the castle courtyard to meet the others. Everyone gasped when Shadow appeared, still wearing Sombra's robe, shoes and crown.

"Cadence was right! He really is a good pony on the inside." Trixie announced.

"We don't have time!" Shadow began "Sombra may be gone but his spell remains over Equestria. If we don't re-assemble the Crystal Heart and destroy his magic, he could return."

Shadow levitated the box which held Cadence's wings to the princess, who opened the box to recieve her wings and her normal height back once more.

Together, Shadow and Cadence began re-assembling the Crystal Heart using the shards that were still on the ground. After it was put back together Trixie shot it with a beam from her amulet to activate it.

The Crystal Heart began glowing. It sent out it's magical wave, shattering Sombra's black Crystals and restoring the old Crystal Empire, the multicolored aura cleared the brown sky, making it blue again.

Meanwhile, in Canterlot. Luna, Celestia and all of the citizens of the city were waiting for a sign that Sombra was defeated. The rainbow aura seeped through the sky, turning it from brown to blue and shattering any dark crystals that had spawned. The whole city erupted in cheers. Equestria was free! The two alicorn princesses hugged in celebration.

Back in the empire, The city was restored, everpony, even the normal ponies, were crystalised. Rarity was the most excited with her new coat, of course.

Trixie's amulet had expanded. The necklace which holded it was now a golden suit of armor, helmet and all. The gem which contained the powers was now a slight bit bigger and was on the chestplate. Shadow Blaze was also crystallised for the first time ever. Everypony in the empire began cheering for The Great and Powerful Trixie, the pony who had saved the Crystal Empire from King Sombra.

Author's Note:

Wow, 2 chapters in one day AND one of them is over 1,000 words. I think that's a bit of a milestone don't you? Anyway, next chapter will be Cadence and Shining Armor's real coronation, and maybe something else will happen for our hero, Trixie? Yeah, you wouldn't believe she was the protagonist considering how I neglected her so much throughout the story. Anyway, leave feedback please and let me know if I made any errors
See y'all at the big fancy coronation!