• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 4,803 Views, 193 Comments

A Diamond Comes Between Friendship? - Yukito



Apple Bloom and Scootaloo have both fallen for Diamond Tiara, and are both intent on winning her affections.

  • ...
11
 193
 4,803

Chapter 6

Scootaloo opened the front door to her house with an excited look on her face. Just as she had expected, there was a grey mare standing outside, carrying a bunch of envelopes in her mouth… But, the filly’s face fell when she saw no package anywhere or around the mare’s person.

“Mail for Mr. Teddy!” Derpy Hooves exclaimed, dropping the four envelopes in her mouth down onto the floor. “Oops. My bad!”

“It’s alright,” Scootaloo said, bending down and picking up the letters. “Is that all? No packages or anything?”

“Sorry. No packages.” Scootaloo let out a long, depressed sigh. “I know how you feel. Many a day have a I spent waiting endlessly for that magical package from the postal office that I just knew was coming. Every hour that passed, and I still had not received my muffins, was like absolute torture to my soul. But, when that package finally comes…” The mailmare’s eyes lit up, and she began to drool a little bit as memories of muffins from all over the world entered her mind.

Scootaloo, on the other hoof, was giving the mare a strange look. “Uh, right. Well, I was supposed to be getting my new Wonderbolts helmet this week… But since tomorrow is Sunday, I guess there’s little chance of that, huh?”

“Why’s that?”

“… Uh… No postage on Sundays?”

Derpy somehow managed to make a snapping sound with her forehoof. “Oh, yeah! Totally forgot about that!”

Scootaloo again gave the mare a strange look. “Riiiight. Well, thanks for the mail. See ya around, Derpy.”

“Have a nice day!”

As Derpy Hooves flew off towards her next house, Scootaloo closed her front door, and made her way towards her father’s study. She knocked on it twice, and waited for a response.

“Scootaloo?”

“Dad, the mail’s here. You wanna take a look, or you still not feeling well?”

“… No, I’m doing a little better today. But, could you perhaps fetch me some of my medicine?”

“Sure thing. And some water, too?”

“Please.”

Scootaloo made her way to the house’s kitchen, and pulled up a stool so that she could reach the sink. She grabbed an empty glass from the drying tray next to it, and poured some water into it. Next, she jumped off of the stool, and made her way over to the medicine cabinet.

“Let’s see…” She opened it up, and began to search through the medicine. “Ah, here it is.” She grabbed a packet of paracetomal, and put a couple of pills on a tray with the glass of water. After balancing the tray carefully on her back, she made her way back upstairs, and entered her father’s study.

As always, it was a complete mess. Bottles of many kinds littered the floor, and there were papers just carelessly scattered about. Of course, with the curtains drawn as they were, the room was so dark with the door closed that one might not even notice. However, Scootaloo did notice, and she frowned as she approached her father.

“Daaaad, this is why I said you should let me clean up in here!” She saw the bags under her father’s eyes as she got closer. “Have you been having trouble sleeping?”

“It’s all this paperwork. It’s been keeping me up. Hopefully, this is just junk mail, and then I can get some bedrest.”

Scootaloo shook her head, and gently lay the tray down on the floor, beside her father. “Nu-uh! You’re getting some rest now!”

The stallion chuckled quietly. “I appreciate the concern, but somepony has to fill out all these important forms.” He waved his hooves in front of him for a bit, before finally finding his daughter. He leaned forward from his position against the wall, and wrapped Scootaloo up in a soft, gentle hug. “Otherwise, the bad ponies in suits will come and take you away from me. My only daughter… The one gem I have left in my life…”

“… I won’t let that happen,” Scootaloo said as she returned the hug. “If anypony tries to take me away, I’ll just beat the snot out of them with the moves Rainbow Dash taught me!”

“… Rainbow Dash… You really like her, huh?” The stallion released his daughter, and leaned back against the wall, holding his head in pain. “Ooooh… Scoots, did you bring the painkillers?”

“Sure did! Here, lemme help you out.” Scootaloo picked up the tablets, and placed one in her father’s mouth. She then brought the glass of water to his lips, before repeating the action for the second tablet. “There, now get plenty of rest! You can do all this tax junk later!”

“I’m sorry, Scootaloo. I’m always such a burden to you.”

“It’s cool. You can’t help being sick.” Scootaloo placed the tray onto her back again, and prepared to leave the room. “I’m… going out today, so if there’s anything you need before I leave-”

“Thank you, but I think I’ll be fine.”

Scootaloo nodded, and then began to leave the room. She stopped to consider the state of the room once more, and decided to do a little cleaning before heading out. She leaned down to pick up some of the bottles on the floor. She wasn’t sure what they were, but her father had described them as a ‘special medicine’ to ‘ease the pain’.

She figured they were from some faraway city or something, because she’d never heard of anything like ‘gin’ or ‘bourbon whiskey’ before. Whatever they were, they sure were making the room stink. ‘Maybe I could get him one of those air fresheners while I’m out… I’m sure this kinda smell can’t be helping him.

After picking up as much as she could hold, Scootaloo made her way back to the kitchen, and placed the bottles to one side, remembering her lessons on recycling. She knew to separate glass from other waste. She then made her way back to her father’s study to gather the rest.


“Hey, blank flank!” Diamond Tiara shouted as she approached Apple Bloom. “Oh, how I totally don’t envy you! Being the only filly in the class who doesn’t have her special talent… It must be so embarrassing for you!”

“…”

“… Hey, did you hear me?”

“Diamond Tiara?” Apple Bloom turned around, and faced the pink filly with a stern look on her face. “Shut up.”

Diamond Tiara was taken aback, but she didn’t let it show. She wouldn’t lose face to this blank flank. “W-What did you say?”

“I told you ta shut yer mouth.”

“Oh? Why don’t you make me?!”

She did, but not in the way that Diamond Tiara was expecting. Apple Bloom suddenly moved forward, and locked her lips with Diamond Tiara’s. The pink filly didn’t fight back. She simply let Apple Bloom do as she wanted.

It was at that moment, that the sounds of knocking suddenly sounded from somewhere behind her.

“Diamond Tiara?” The door to the filly’s bedroom opened, and the brown stallion Filthy Rich walked in. “I’m leaving for work now.”

Diamond Tiara rolled off of her bed, and quickly trotted over to her father. “On a Saturday? Really?”

“I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you tonight. Say, by taking you out to your favourite restaurant?”

Diamond Tiara’s eyes suddenly lit up. “And mommy will be there, too?”

Filthy Rich laughed and nodded. “Of course. Now, can I get a farewell kiss from my little Princess?” Diamond Tiara obliged with a quick peck on the stallion’s cheek, which he quickly returned afterwards. “Well then, you know who to go to in the event of an emergency, right?”

“Yes, daddy.”

“There are sandwiches for you in the fridge. If you get hungry, don’t eat too many sweets, and if you feel the need to cook something, please remember to turn the grill off when you’re finished with it this time.”

Diamond Tiara’s face turned red. “Daddyyyyy!” she whined with a powerful kick to the stallion’s leg.

The kick didn’t hurt at all, and Filthy Rich simply laughed it off. “I’ll see you later, then.”

“See you.” Diamond Tiara watched as her father left her room, and remained still for a few moments as she listened to the sounds of his retreating hoofsteps.

As soon as she heard him going down the stairs of their house, she turned around and made her way back to her bed. She climbed onto it, and hugged her pillow as she closed her eyes, attempting to remember where her little daydream had left off, before being so rudely interrupted.

As she was deep in thought, a terrifying realisation struck her. This meant that she would be alone with Scootaloo today. She looked over at her clock, and groaned as she saw that it was too late to go round to Scootaloo’s house and cancel. It also didn’t help that she had no idea where the filly lived.

“Great, just great…” The night that she and Apple Bloom shared that moment together, Diamond Tiara had stayed awake for hours, trying to decide what her next move would be. She eventually decided that she would simply not pursue Scootaloo as she had originally planned, however, the idea of getting free help on her homework was too tempting to pass up. Silver Spoon’s mother had hired Cheerilee to teach Silver Spoon out of school hours, so it was now made much more difficult to copy her friend’s homework.

As such, Diamond Tiara had decided to simply get whatever information she could out of the Pegasus filly, and then feign a stomach ache or something to get her out of the house. Simple. But, now that the idea of the two of them being alone together was running through her mind…

“Hey, how do you answer this?” Diamond Tiara asked, pointing a hoof at one of the Math questions before her.

“Oh, that’s an easy one!” Scootaloo said, with a smug grin on her face.

“Well, explain it to me!”

“Sure thing. But it’ll cost ya.” Before Diamond Tiara could ask any questions, Scootaloo leaned across their workbooks, and moved her face closer to the pink filly’s, too fast for her to dodge.

Once again, the sounds of knocking appeared behind Diamond Tiara.

The filly groaned, and shook her head quickly, trying to erase the unwanted thought from her head. “Stupid brain! Just because we’re alone, doesn’t mean anything will happen! We’ll most likely just fight, and then she’ll leave in like ten minutes, anyway!”

The knocking sounded again, and Diamond Tiara remembered that her father wasn’t home. Sighing, Diamond Tiara rolled off of her bed once more, and lazily made her way over to her bedroom door. She picked up the pace when the knocking sounded once more, and by the time she had reached the stairs, the knocking became rather frequent.

“I’m coming!” she shouted impatiently, though it didn’t seem to reach whoever was at the door. When she finally reached the front door, the knocking stopped completely. She unlocked the door, and opened the door. “Oh. It’s you.”

“You were expecting somepony else?” Scootaloo asked. “What took you so long?”

“Not everypony runs around like a hyperactive dodo.” Scootaloo scowled, and Diamond Tiara stepped aside to let her in. “Well?”

Scootaloo gulped, and slowly raised her right foreleg into the air. She brought it down just as slowly into Diamond Tiara’s home, and suddenly, a chill ran down her spine. She never thought she’d ever step even one hoof in this place. Sure, she had visited once before, during Nightmare Night, but she had never stepped inside, nor had she any intention to.

However, once she was in, a different feeling began to take a hold of her. She looked around at the huge hallway that she was now in, and at the beautiful decorations and furnishings around the room. “Whoa… Your dad really likes this rich guy décor, huh?”

“Most of the things you see around you were picked out by my mother and I. The only room that daddy decorated is his study.” ‘Which looks like something from one of his black and white movies.

Scootaloo nodded, and whistled as her eyes fell upon a large vase resting in the centre of the room. “This thing looks expensive.”

“And it is. That vase could easily pay your entire tuition all the way up to High School.”

Scootaloo’s eyes went wide, and she gave the pink filly a disbelieving look. “You’re kidding.” Diamond Tiara shook her head. ‘No way. If I had something like that… I could get dad into a really good hospital! One of those ones up in Canterlot!

“You’re not having it,” Diamond Tiara said, seeing the orange filly eyeing the case like the treasure that it was. Perhaps the only thing that Diamond Tiara had seen Scootaloo crave more was a Cutie Mark. “You can’t buy a Cutie Mark, just FYI.”

Scootaloo’s face fell into a frown, and she turned to the giggling filly beside her. “Whatever. Let’s just get this thing over with.”

Diamond Tiara stopped her giggling, and composed herself. “Gladly. Let me just go and gather my books,” she said, before making her way towards the stairs, and back up towards her room. ‘Right, just get whatever answers I can out of her, and then think of something to get her to leave…

As Diamond Tiara opened and stepped inside her bedroom, Scootaloo followed in. She almost gagged at what she saw. “This is your room?” she asked. “It’s… pink.” That was all she could think to describe it. Everywhere she looked, the colour pink. With the exception of the white tea set in the corner, and the occasional doll and stuffed animal here and there, the entire room was like a never-ending sea of pink.

Scootaloo recalled that this is how she initially picture Sweetie Belle’s room, but she couldn’t ever imagine Diamond Tiara having a room like this. In fact, until just now, her image of Diamond Tiara’s room was like a witch’s lair, with spooky decorations, and cobwebs all over the walls.

Diamond Tiara suddenly turned around upon hearing Scootaloo’s voice, and her face quickly turned red. “W-What are you doing?! Did I say you could come in, blank flank?!”

“First off, my name’s Scootaloo. Second, what’s the big deal? It’s just a bedroom, isn’t it?” A thought crossed Scootaloo’s mind, and she grinned as she took another step inside. “Unless… you’ve got something embarrassing in here. Something you don’t want anypony to see?”

Diamond Tiara harrumphed, and averted her gaze. “Don’t be ridiculous! I just don’t want you to spread your looser germs all over the place, that’s all!”

Scootaloo wasn’t convinced, but the insult had managed to distract her from her teasing. “I don’t have looser germs! That’s not even a thing!”

“Sure, whatever you say,” Diamond Tiara responded. “Just get out and wait downstairs.”

Scootaloo knew that complying would be the easiest solution here, and that it would also be the fastest way to bring this day to a close. And yet, just like her feelings for this obnoxious filly before her, and the reason for why she accepted Diamond Tiara’s invitation to her house today, the reasoning for her next action completely eluded her. She just sort of did it.

“Hey! I said to wait downstairs!” Diamond Tiara shouted as Scootaloo sat herself on the bed at the other end of the room.

“I’m already up here, and it’s pretty warm in here, too! We might as well just do our work here!”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“Because, it’s my bedroom!”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “What’s the big deal? I’d let you in my room, if ya wanted.” As soon as she had said that, she realised her mistake. “I-If we were doing this at my house, that is!”

Diamond Tiara didn’t hear Scootaloo’s last sentence, as she was too busy wondering what her room would even look like. Probably the exact opposite of her own. That is to say, dark colours, instead of pretty pink, and instead of posters of colt bands, probably posters of the Wonderbolts. “W-Well, it’s not like I could, anyway. You’re a Pegasus, so you live in a cloud house, right?”

Scootaloo shook her head, and opened up her saddlebag to pull her books out. “Not all Pegasi live in cloud houses, y’know?”

“… They don’t?” That information took Diamond Tiara completely by surprise. She was sure that all Pegasi lived in the clouds, just like all Unicorns lived in high-class/fancy houses. With the exception of that one crazy librarian mare.

“No, they don’t. Besides, my dad’s an Earth Pony, anyway, so we can’t live in a cloud house even if we wanted to.”

“How is that even possible, having a dad who’s a different race to you?”

Scootaloo shrugged. “I dunno. Ask Miss Cheerilee on Monday if you’re so interested.” Scootaloo swallowed nervously as she watched Diamond Tiara laying her books out on the floor. “H-Hey, you got anything to drink around here?”

Diamond Tiara simply stared at Scootaloo in silence for a few seconds. ‘Daddy always said that being a good host is important…’ “What would you like?”

“Uh… Got any coke?”

Diamond Tiara nodded, and began to leave the room. She stopped as she reached the door, and turned back to Scootaloo for a moment. “Don’t touch anything,” she said, before leaving and making her way towards the kitchen.

Scootaloo stuck her tongue at as the pink filly left, and then briefly wondered what was coming over her. After waiting in silence for a few seconds, Scootaloo decided to take a look around. ‘Sooooo… this is her room, huh? Man, is it girly.

Something caught the filly’s eyes as she looked over at the vanity against the opposite wall. She got up, and made her way over to it to check it out. She found some photographs lying on the wooden surface, and curiosity overtook the filly, causing her to spread them out in order to get a better look at them. Some were of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon together, and others were of Diamond Tiara with her parents.

In all of the photos, Diamond Tiara was smiling, or laughing. Whatever her expression, each and every one caused Scootaloo’s heart to beat faster as she saw them.

“Hey, what are you doing?!” Scootaloo jumped at the sound of Diamond Tiara’s voice beside her. “I told you not to touch anything!”

“I was just looking!” Scootaloo quickly defended, though it didn’t help that she had accidentally picked up a photograph in her shock.

“Well, don’t!” Diamond Tiara shouted, walking towards her with a tray carrying two glasses of coke on her back. She placed the tray onto the vanity. “They aren’t yours to look at!”

“Sheesh, sor-ry!” Scootaloo picked up one of the glasses, and made her way back over to Diamond Tiara’s bed, sitting down on it without a second thought. “Y’know, you’d probably be liked more if you were like you are in those photos.”

“What?” Diamond Tiara asked, half of her feeling insulted, and half of her trying to understand just what the other filly had actually said to her.

“Y’know, more cute and-” Scootaloo quickly stopped herself. “Uh, I mean, not being so mean and stuff! You don’t look so bad when you’re smiling!”

Diamond Tiara blushed, and turned to look at the photos spread out beside her. “… So, you’re saying I look ugly at other times?”

“No!” Scootaloo shouted without thinking. She cursed herself mentally, and told herself to calm down. “Uh, well… A-Anyway, let’s stop yapping an’ get working! You with me?”

“That’s a new one,” Diamond Tiara said with her usual devious grin. “The laziest blank flank of them all, wants to get a move on with her homework.”

“I just wanna get out of here, that’s all,” Scootaloo said, turning her head away from Diamond Tiara.

“Then, why bother coming in the first place?”

“Because… Well, why did you invite me in the first place?”

“Because…” Diamond Tiara looked down at her books, and then sat herself down on the floor next to them. “Because I’m Diamond Tiara. I can do whatever I like, even waste my time around stupid little blank flanks like you or Apple Bloom.”

“Apple Bloom?” Scootaloo asked.

“Er… J-Just as an example!”

“… You okay? Your face is all re-”

“HERE!” Diamond Tiara quickly picked up her History exercise book, and offered it to the filly on her bed. “All the answers are in there. N-Now give me whatever answers you’ve got for Geography. I’ve also got the Biology answers, if you want them.” ‘Took those from Apple Bloom when she wasn’t looking…

“Answers? I thought we were gonna show each other how to do this stuff, not just copy each other’s answers.”

That was my original intention, but…’ “You said you wanted to get this over with, right? Then this way will be better.”

“Well, yeah. I guess I did say that.” Scootaloo sighed, and took the book from Diamond Tiara. ‘Dummy! I was only trying to… Gah, read between the lines, will ya?!’ The Pegasus opened her own exercise book, and began to copy word-for-word what was written by Diamond Tiara… Or, what she could translate, at least. ‘Wait a minute, this might be my chance!

“A-hem!” Scootaloo turned to Diamond Tiara, who was looking at her with an impatient look on her face. “Geography homework?”

“Oh, right!” Scootaloo took out her Geography book, and passed it to Diamond Tiara. “Uh, say, these answers are… kinda hard to read. Could you read ‘em out for me?”

“… Ugh. Can’t you do anything right?”

“Hey! You’re the one who still write like a five year old!”

“What was that?!”

“No, I take it back! Five year olds could probably write way better than this!”

“Well, five year old could probably fly better than you!”

Scootaloo’s left eye twitched. ‘Oh no, she didn’t.’ “Five year olds could sing better than you could!”

Diamond Tiara gasped at Scootaloo’s remark. “Five year olds could… could… think better than you!”

“From the sounds of it, they could think better than you, as well,” Scootaloo said with a laugh. “What, you no good without your lackey with you?”

“Lackey? You mean Silver Spoon? She’s my friend, not my ‘lackey’!” Diamond Tiara stamped a hoof for emphasis. “Don’t go calling her things behind her back, especially things I don’t know the meaning of!”

Scootaloo, once again, found her heart rate increasing as she watched Diamond Tiara so passionately defending her friend. She definitely liked this side of the pink filly… but she wasn’t about to let anypony know that anytime soon.

“Anyway, just move over already,” Diamond Tiara said, climbing onto her bed next to Scootaloo, the latter filly quickly scooting over to give her room. “Let’s see… The first one says ‘957’.”

Scootaloo stared at the writing with a blank look on her face. “Really?” she asked. “Well, if you say so…”

“The second one is talking about the neighpone-gryphon war that lasted for eight years. It basically says that Princess Celestia ended it by threatening trading sanctions on both nations if they refused to stop fighting.”

Scootaloo began to write the answers down as quickly as she could, occasionally having to ask Diamond Tiara to slow down a bit so that she could actually get it all down. She was happy that she was now talking with Diamond Tiara, rather than simply sitting in silence with her, but… ‘I was hoping we could talk about something… more fun, I guess.

A good ten minutes went by, with Diamond Tiara simply supplying answers, and Scootaloo writing them down. Diamond Tiara was trying to get this over with as quickly as possible, whilst Scootaloo was trying to find some kind of opening to start a more casual conversation.

Suddenly, Diamond Tiara felt something on her right hind leg. Some kind of itching feeling… She looked over her shoulder to see what it was, and her eyes almost fell from their sockets as she stared in horror at the monster behind her.

“AAAAAHHHHH!” she screamed as she kicked her hind leg, and rolled off the bed, crashing down onto the floor. “G-Get it off me!”

Scootaloo raised her eyebrow as she looked over the side of the bed. “Uh… you okay?”

“W-Where is it? Is it still on me?!”

Scootaloo turned her head to look down the bed, and found a small spider crawling on the bed sheets. She had to resist the urge to laugh as she made her way over to the tiny creature. “Geez, Diamond. It’s just a lil’ bug,” she said as she extended her hoof towards it. The spider crawled onto her hoof, and the filly then moved over to the nearby window, opening it up to throw the little spider out.

She then turned back to Diamond Tiara, still resisting the urge to break out into laughter as she saw the pink filly rise to her hooves. “There. Mean bug’s gone,” she said teasingly, crawling across the bed to pat Diamond Tiara on the head. “Awww, are you really afraid of such a little spider?”

“Of course not!” Diamond Tiara spat as she readjusted the tiara sitting on her head. “It just took me by surprise, that’s all. And stop doing that!” She batted away the hoof on her head, and Scootaloo moved back a bit.

“Now, now, I won’t tell anypony. But still, who’d have thought you’d have such a cute side?” Scootaloo immediately regretted her words. Yet again, it seemed that her brain was just making no effort to process her words before letting them leave through her mouth today.

Diamond Tiara wasn’t sure how to take what the other filly had just said. That was twice now that she had called her cute, and whilst she wasn’t entirely unhappy with it… she had already decided to give things a chance with Apple Bloom, not with Scootaloo. So…

“Um… maybe we should get back to work?” Scootaloo suggested, feeling the awkwardness in the air between them.

Diamond Tiara, however, had had enough for one day. She was worried about where all of this was going… She had already shared a kiss with Apple Bloom, so that meant that the two were an item. Or at least, that’s how she viewed it. And yet, she was still having these feelings towards another filly… and the two of them were alone together! ‘This has gone on long enough! Forget the answers, I need to get her out of here…

“Diamond Tiar-”

“Get out.” Scootaloo seemed taken aback by that, but that didn’t stop Diamond Tiara. “That’s enough for today. I want you to leave now.”

“W-What? But, we’re not done yet. You haven’t even-”

“I said get out!”

Scootaloo frowned at Diamond Tiara’s sudden change in attitude, and jumped off the bed to confront her. “Why should I? It was your idea to do this, anyway! I could have been doing better things with my Saturday, but instead, I came here so we could help each other out with our homework!”

“Yeah, well, maybe you should’ve thought about that earlier! Honestly, how stupid can you be?”

“How stupid can I be?! Why invite me, if that’s how you feel? You don’t even like me, anyway!” Diamond Tiara felt a stinging feeling run through her, and hesitated a bit. Scootaloo took advantage of that hesitation to have the next word. “Anyway, I’m not leaving ‘til we get this homework done. I threw away my Saturday for this, so we’d better do something productive with it!”

“Like I said, you didn’t have to come! You don’t like me either, right?!”

Scootaloo winced, and her glare intensified. She took a threatening step towards the pink filly, who backed away slightly in response. “… Actually, I…” ‘… I guess it’s now or never…’ Scootaloo took a deep breath. “… I do like you, actually.”

Diamond Tiara wished that she hadn’t heard that, and she was desperately replaying the last five seconds in her head over and over again, hoping to find that she had, in fact, misheard. “W… What?”

“That’s why I came here today!” Scootaloo shouted, keeping her eyes locked with Diamond Tiara’s. “I… I like you, okay? Like, like like you… y’know?” Diamond Tiara simply shook her head slowly, and Scootaloo suddenly felt her confidence taking a huge hit. “… I-I’m sorry. Maybe I should leave. I guess… There’s no way you… I’ll just go now…”

Scootaloo turned around, and began to gather her books into her bag. Diamond Tiara watched as she did so, wanting to say something, anything, to stop the filly. But at the same time, she felt that it was for the best. ‘Scootaloo said she likes me… But, that kiss with Apple Bloom… But, Scootaloo… Apple Bloom… I-I don’t even…

Scootaloo, now with her bag packed, began to leave Diamond Tiara’s room. However, as she passed the pink filly, she felt something stopping her. She looked down at her right foreleg, to see a pink hoof holding onto it. “… Diamond?”

“I… I guess… I should at least tell you…” ‘No! I shouldn’t! Because, Apple Bloom and I… But, she deserves to know, right? What if I never get this chance again? But what if I lose my chance with Apple Bloom because of it? ARGH! Daddy, heeeeelp!

“Tell me what?”

“Uh, you know… Why I invited you here…”

“Huh? I thought you just wanted to copy my homework… You mean, that isn’t it?”

Diamond Tiara gulped. “Well, that’s half of the reason, but…” She turned around to face Scootaloo, and her legs began to shake as she her eyes met the other filly’s. “I… You see, I actually… You…”

“Wha?”

Diamond Tiara swallowed hard, and tried again. “I feel… the same way…”

“The same way? What do you-” A thought occurred to Scootaloo, and her jaw hung open as she stared at the shaking, sweating, red filly before her. “Y-You mean…”

“I… I l-like you, too…” she said, in a quiet voice, though it was still loud enough for Scootaloo to hear. “No, never mind! You should just go!”

Scootaloo dropped her bag to the floor, and turned around to face Diamond Tiara directly. “No way! You can’t just… say something like that, and expect me to just leave!”

“B-But I-”

“No! I want you to say it again, but louder this time!”

“NO!” Diamond Tiara shouted, her breathing increasing as she tried, with little success, to avoid Scootaloo’s stare. “I-I can’t!”

“Do it! I want to hear how you feel!”

Diamond Tiara tired to shut her eyes, but Scootaloo’s hoof grabbing a hold of her own rendered the action ineffective as a countermeasure. “W-Why?! I already said it once, didn’t I?!”

“I wanna make sure I head you right, that’s why! I want to know… whether you really feel the same way as me right now…”

Diamond Tiara opened her eyes again, and, after a few moments, nodded slowly. “… I… I like you…”

“Louder.”

“I like you.”

“Louder!”

Diamond Tiara took a deep breath, and put her all into her confession. “I LIKE YOU, YOU STUPID BIRDBRAIN!”

Scootaloo was certainly not expecting her to be that loud. However, she got the message loud and clear, and now had to form some kind of intelligent response. “Um… c-cool.”

The two simply gazed into each other’s eyes for a while, neither one sure of what to say or do next. Eventually, Scootaloo decided to take the first step forward. And then Diamond Tiara followed suit. The two were now just a little closer than they were before, but neither of them felt it was close enough. And so, with just one more step from each filly-

“Diamond Tiara? I’m home!” Both fillies’ eyes widened, and they backed away from each other quickly. “Good news! Accident at work, so you father’s for the day off! Er, nopony got injured, FYI.” Both fillies heard the sounds of hoofsteps moving up the stairs, and they both began to panic as they realised their situation. Alone in this room together, and at some point, Scootaloo’s hooves had made their way to Diamond Tiara’s face. “Diamond? Is everything okay?”

Scootaloo quickly picked up her bag, and bolted out of the door, before Diamond Tiara could say anything. “H-Hey there, Mr. Rich! Thanks for having me over, DT, see ya in school on Monday!”

Filthy Rich looked on in confusion as the filly ran past him, and down the stairs. He then made his way towards Diamond Tiara’s room, where he found his daughter sitting on the floor, her back to him. “Is… everything okay?”

“Just fine,” she said, though she was lying.

“Uh… You… had a guest over?”

“We were just doing homework together, that’s all!”

Filthy Rich tilted his head in confusion. “Oh. I… I see…” He watched his daughter carefully for a few more seconds. “And… you’re alright?”

“Yes, daddy! I’m fine!”

Filthy Rich didn’t believe her for one second, but he wasn’t going to interrogate her right now. Not when she was clearly in a bad mood. ‘Most likely just another one of her foalish squabbles.’ With a nod, the brown stallion decided to leave his daughter alone for now. “Don’t worry. We’ll still be eating out tonight, in case you thought that me coming home early changed things.”

He was expecting her to perk up a little form that… But no. He received no response. Now, he was just a little bit more worried.

As the door closed behind her, Diamond Tiara feel over onto her side, and let out a deep sigh. “… I don’t wanna go to school this week. Or ever again.”


Despite her wishes, Monday soon came for the pink filly, and she found herself unable to sufficiently fake being ill in order to get the day off. She cursed whoever invented thermometers.

Along the way, she had met up with Silver Spoon, as she does every morning. At first, the grey filly simply engaged her in idle conversation, but after Diamond Tiara’s tenth ‘yuh-huh’, Silver Spoon decided to ask the question that had been on her mind all weekend.

“So, how’d you little date with Scootaloo go?”

Diamond Tiara finally responded, by looking up and glaring at Silver Spoon. “It wasn’t a date! It was just a… study… session?”

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes. “Fine, whatever. So, how was it?”

“… I don’t want to talk about it.”

“That bad, huh? I guess you really do like her then.” Diamond Tiara gave her a confused look. “Otherwise, you’d be over it by now, and wouldn’t be sulking so much. Let me guess, you’re still debating whether you like Apple Bloom or Scootaloo more, right?”

“… You’re good,” Diamond Tiara said with a sigh. “A little too good.”

“My uncle’s a detective,” Silver Spoon said with a proud smile on her face. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anypony. You know you can share anything with me.”

Diamond Tiara hung her head low. “I’ve been thinking…” She hesitated for a little bit, before working up the courage to continue. “About Apple Bloom and Scootaloo… I don’t suppose… I could have both?”

Silver Spoon stopped dead in her tracks, soon followed by Diamond Tiara, who quickly realised her mistake. “I-I was joking!” she quickly blurted out, turning to face Silver Spoon. “It was just a joke! Of course, I can’t have them both! I know that!”

Silver Spoon sighed, and shook her head. “Honestly… You scared me for a second there.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Diamond Tiara said, laughing nervously as she turned back and resumed walking with her friend. ‘… I was being totally serious, though… I guess that’s a ‘no’ then, huh?


As Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were talking just outside of the schoolhouse, Apple Bloom slowly approached the two of them, nervously scuffing her forehoof against the ground as she stopped just short of the two fillies.

C’mon now, Apple Bloom. You can do this…

The farm filly approached the two rich fillies, who quickly noticed her coming approach. Diamond Tiara looked to Silver Spoon for some sort of explanation, but the grey filly, with a grin on her face, simply excused herself, leaving her friends all alone with one of the objects of her desire.

Diamond Tiara and Apple Bloom stared at each other in awkward silence for a good minute, both fillies moving their eyes all over the place, only occasionally landing them on the other pony, before Apple Bloom finally found the courage to approach the pink filly.

“H-Hey there, Diamond,” she said as she took a few more steps closer.

“H-Hi, blank flank…” Apple Bloom didn’t frown, or even seem put off by the name at all. “W-What do you want?”

“Ah was… wonderin’ if y’all wanted ta come see a movie with me tomorrow… Mah big sis got tickets for me an’ the other Crusaders, but Scootaloo said she has plans, and Sweetie Belle’s grounded for nearly burnin’ her house down…”

That last comment made the eavesdropping Silver Spoon giggle, but didn’t even register with Diamond Tiara. “S-So… you decided to ask me, if I wanted to go?”

Apple Bloom, her face now completely red, nodded. “A-Ah understand if ya don’t wanna… Ah guess ah could ask somepony els-”

“What time?” Diamond Tiara found herself asking, for reasons completely beyond her. “Uh… what time does it start? The movie.”

“Oh. I-It’s about an hour after school ends, so… we can go right after school, ah guess.”

Diamond Tiara gulped, and nodded her head. “I guess… I have nothing better to do.” She could have sworn she just saw a smile on Apple Bloom’s face. “Very well then, as long as it’s not some boring, kid’s movie.”

“Well then,” Apple Bloom started, “Ah guess it’s a date then.” Diamond Tiara blushed at that, but it went unnoticed by Apple Bloom, as she was already on her way towards the schoolhouse.

Silver Spoon came out from her hiding spot a moment later, giggling at her friend’s red face. “Well well well, Diamond Tiara. Looks like you just got yourself a date.”

“… Shut up,” Diamond Tiara said, turning her head away from her friend.

“Oh, this is rich! Finally, something I can tease you with!” Silver Spoon wrapped her hooves around her friend’s neck. “You’re not hoping she’ll hold onto you during the movie, are you? Or maybe, your hooves will meet when you both reach for the popcorn, or something cliché like that?”

“I said shut up!” Diamond Tiara shouted, trying to free herself from Silver Spoon’s grasp, but with little success.

“Awww, my little Diamond’s growing up!”

“Or maybe you’re just incredibly childish! Seriously, let go of me already!”

“Uh, hey. Guys?” The two fillies stopped, and both realised simultaneously that Scootaloo was standing before them, giving the two a strange look. “Is this a bad time?”

Silver Spoon let go of Diamond Tiara, and gave the Pegasus a sly grin. “Let me guess: you want to talk to Diamond?” Scootaloo nodded, and was about to speak, before Silver Spoon cut her off. “No problem. I’ll go ahead and get out of your manes.” She turned to Diamond Tiara, and shot her friend a quick wink, before returning to her hiding spot, where she could hear perfectly well everything that was said between the two ponies.

“What was that about?” Scootaloo asked Diamond Tiara. “You didn’t… tell her about us, did you?”

“‘Us’?” Diamond Tiara asked.

“You know, about… what happened two days ago…”

Diamond Tiara shook her head. “N-No! I didn’t!”

Scootaloo didn’t believe her, but didn’t bother pursuing it any further. “Right, well… I wanted to talk to you about that, actually… Seem I was thinkin’…”

“Did it hurt?” Diamond Tiara asked, giggling a little at her joke.

Scootaloo scowled at the pink filly in response. “Hah, hah. Very funny. Not.” Diamond Tiara recovered from her laughter, and allowed the Pegasus to continue. “… So, anyway… Are you free tomorrow, by any chance?”

Diamond Tiara shook her head. “I… have plans.”

“… Day after tomorrow?”

“I’m… free then, why?”

“Well, how ‘bout we… go to the amusement park together? Just the two of us?”

Diamond Tiara scratched one forehoof with the other, looking down at the ground. “Like… a date?”

“Y-Yeah.”

Diamond Tiara wasn’t quite sure how to answer that. She had already agreed to a date with Apple Bloom, so it wouldn’t be appropriate to agree to one with Scootaloo, right? She looked over to where she knew Silver Spoon was listening, and could see the filly shaking her head rapidly. She looked back to Scootaloo, who was still waiting for an answer.

“Uh… S-Sure!” she said, despite trying to turn the offer down. “What time?”

“Right after school! Meet me at the train station, since I gotta stop by my house real quick before we leave.”

Diamond Tiara nodded. “Um… I guess it’s a date then.”

Scootaloo blushed at what the other filly had just said, and quickly turned around to hide it. “D-Dummy…” she muttered, before running off towards the schoolhouse.

Diamond Tiara could only stare into space, completely lost in thought, as she replayed the last ten minutes in her head in a loop. Her thoughts were only broken when Silver Spoon approached her, and cleared her throat to gain her friend’s attention.

Diamond Tiara turned to see the disapproving look on Silver Spoon’s face. “… What?” she asked, pretending that there was nothing wrong. “I-It’s not like I’m actually going steady with either of them! I’m just… trying them both out, that’s all! Like when you can’t decide between two dresses, you try them both on first! Is that so wrong?!”

Silver Spoon’s expression did not change. “… Well, I suppose it’s alright… as long as you only kiss one of them.”

That made Diamond Tiara’s ears flatten against her head, and she was only saved from having to answer by the sound of the school bell ringing through the air. “W-We’d better get to class!” she said, before turning around and galloping at full speed towards the schoolhouse, tripping along the way.

Silver Spoon brought a hoof to her face, and shook her head as she sighed. “This won’t end well… At all.”