• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 21,068 Views, 437 Comments

Twilight's Bird Feeder - Hyzaku



Twilight gets a bird feeder in the hopes of studying local birds up close. What she gets instead is a day full of frustration as the bird feeder mysteriously empties whenever she looks away.

  • ...
32
 437
 21,068

To Rarity's House She Goes

Rarity!

In an instant, Twilight knew that her fashionista friend was her best chance for help. Rarity was always checking out tacky romance novels, and Twilight was confident that her current situation could easily pass for the plot of such a work: A ‘lonely’, bookish mare suddenly finds herself as the target of a princess’ undeterred romantic desires. Twilight was fairly certain Rarity had checked out a book with that exact synopsis at some point. Consulting Rarity for help in this matter would be akin to asking Applejack about some apple-related conundrum. At the very least, things couldn’t get any worse.

With renewed vigor and a perfect plan, Twilight set out to Carousel Boutique.

After a nice, relaxing walk through the streets of Ponyville – which most observers had likely confused for a panicked dash – Twilight found herself at her destination. The bookish unicorn took a moment to catch her breath. Walking had taken more out of her than she had expected.

Once her breathing had normalized she raised a hoof and gave a series of solid knocks. It wasn’t long before the door opened.

Rarity stepped out of the entryway, partially closing it behind her. She turned to face her fellow unicorn with a delighted smile. “Oh, Twilight, darling, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Twilight looked around to make sure nopony was paying her any unnecessary attention. To her dismay, there were a number of ponies watching her with curiosity. She turned to Rarity and leaned close. “Can we talk inside? It’s a very private issue and I need your help,” she whispered.

“Oh, of course, darling.” The fashionista reopened the door, motioning for Twilight to follow as she slipped inside. Twilight entered, making sure to close the door behind her.

Once inside, Twilight made an uncomfortable observation. Specifically, Rainbow Dash was there, seated on a couch with cushions a shade of blue similar to her coat. Beside the couch was a fancy wooden coffee table covered in a set of trays, cups, plates, and a single tea pot. Judging by the amount of crumbs, this was a meeting that had been going for a while.

The pegasus noticed Twilight’s entrance and almost immediately began fidgeting. Notably, her wings made a single, small flapping motion without leaving her sides. Twilight couldn’t help but find the action rather cute.

Twilight slid up next to Rarity and whispered harshly, “Rarity! I said I needed to talk to you in private.”

“About what?” the fashionista replied with a whisper.

Twilight’s ears fell flat against her head as a small blush spread across her face – the memories of her recent kiss surfacing. “R-romance,” she forced out, keeping her voice to a whisper.

Twilight immediately recognized the gleam in Rarity’s eyes, but was unable to stop what happened next. Rarity raised her voice to a normal volume, her tone resembling the one she used when teasing a certain apple farmer. “Well, what a coincidence, Twilight,” – a sly grin crept onto her lips – “Rainbow Dash was here to ask for my help with precisely that same matter.” Rainbow began blushing fiercely, and her gaze turned down to lock squarely on her front hooves. The pegasus’ reaction proved enough of a distraction for Twilight that Rarity continued setting up her plan unhindered. “Twilight, darling, why don’t you take a seat with Rainbow while I take a moment to put some fresh tea on.”

And with that, Twilight had been abandoned by her only hope. She sighed. With nothing else to do, she trotted over and took a seat next to Rainbow Dash. The sudden presence next to her snapped Rainbow out of her stupor; her blush faded quickly.

“I don’t think Rarity is coming back until we talk about something...” Twilight offered. She hoped that Rainbow might carry the conversation so that she wouldn’t have to talk to Rainbow about her embarrassing conundrum with Princess Luna. It wasn’t that she disliked talking to Rainbow; far from it. Rainbow just wasn’t the best when it came to actually thinking before acting and that wasn’t a trait Twilight needed in an advisor at the moment.

“Look, Twilight, I’m really sorry for messing things up yesterday,” Rainbow replied. “I know you went through all that trouble to set that little window area up and you bought all that seed, but I was just so afraid that you’d think I was uncool if you saw how I eat from a snack-tube that I just waited until you left...” The pegasus paused – her gaze fell to her hooves once more – “I’m really sorry, Twilight.”

Twilight watched as her friend’s wings drooped with her head. She knew without a doubt that Rainbow was being sincere. She also knew that this would make a great letter to the Princess. It was time to be a good friend!

Twilight reached a foreleg around Rainbow and pulled her into a hug. “Don’t worry about it, Rainbow. I overreacted a bit too. Let’s just put all that behind us.”

“Yeah, okay.” A cerulean wing wrapped around Twilight, pulling the two ponies tighter together as Rainbow nuzzled her head firmly under Twilight’s chin.

For the second time this day, Twilight found herself baffled by Rainbow’s sudden desire for physical closeness. It was almost as if—

“Well, I’m glad you two were able to work that out so quickly,” Rarity derailed Twilight’s train of thought as she reappeared in the room. The white unicorn took a seat on her favorite red couch across the table from the two snuggling ponies. “The tea will be done shortly,” she added.

A few silent moments passed. Twilight wasn’t certain how, but Rainbow had managed to squirm even closer.

“Rainbow, darling, perhaps now would be a good time to take care of what we talked about earlier,” Rarity suddenly prompted.

The pegasus jostled slightly at the suggestion. To Twilight’s chagrin, the pegasus made no effort to reposition herself. “Oh, yeah. So, um, Twi...” she hesitated, “I’m not much for outdated traditions, but I guess it makes sense that a well read pony like you would actually know about using snack tubes to ask me out.”

And just like that, Twilight was lost.

Rainbow continued, “I’m a bit surprised you didn’t ask for a feather, honestly.”

“Well, given your penchant for research and study, and what Rainbow told me about you wanting to make observations, I’m not at all surprised you opted for that method,” Rarity commented. “Although, if you ask me, the feather is a much more romantic gesture.” She released a sigh as her mind drifted off toward thoughts of romance.

“Wait, what feather?” Twilight interjected.

Rainbow giggled, something Twilight found strangely cute. “Mine, duh,” the pegasus replied as though the answer was obvious. “Still, it’s a shame we kinda wasted all those seeds.”

“Who cares about that,” Twilight scoffed, earning a pair of confused looks from her friends. “I ordered twenty pounds of them. It’s not like I’m going to run out–”

“You bought twenty pounds?!” her friends exclaimed in unison.

Rarity swiftly composed herself while adopting a mischievous expression. “Oh my! I hope you were planning on telling me about your honeymoon. I have all sorts of, ahem, helpful items for the bedroom I can lend you. Naturally, I expect full details on what happens.”

“Um, yes, I did order in bulk...” Twilight replied nervously. “But what honeymoon–”

Rainbow suddenly dislodged herself from her comfy position. Her gaze met Twilight’s as her wings flared out to the sides. Twilight was briefly aware of how cold it was without her feathery blanket before Rainbow stole her attention. “Twilight... I had no idea...” she hesitated slightly before she reached forward with both forelegs, embracing Twilight in rib-crushing hug. “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” The pegasus squeezed even tighter as Twilight felt the air slowly being forced from her lungs.

Twilight managed to find enough breath to respond. “Rainbow... can’t... breathe...”

Rainbow Dash snapped from her reverie and released the unicorn from her suffocating embrace. “Oops, sorry.” A small, embarrassed laugh followed.

Once Twilight had found her breath, she brought her gaze back to meet Rainbow’s. The pegasus wore a smile that grew wider and wider with every passing second. Before Twilight could respond, Rainbow started talking again.

“Oh, Twi, I know I was probably oblivious before, but now that I know how you feel... how you really feel about me, of course I’ll accept!” Rainbow exclaimed happily.

“Accept wha–” Suddenly, Twilight found Rainbow’s lips pressing against her own. She felt a rush of warmth in her cheeks as her eyes widened in response to the bold move. Twilight waited, expecting Rainbow’s tongue to brush across her lips as Luna had done earlier. It never happened. Rainbow pulled back from the kiss much sooner than Twilight had expected. Instead of retreating completely, however, Rainbow snuck back in and planted a soft peck on Twilight’s nose. Twilight squeaked in surprise.

Finally, Rainbow pulled away completely, leveling a soft, caring expression at Twilight. The stunned unicorn could only stare back helplessly as her brain slowly put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Twice now she had been kissed without warning. However, each kiss carried a different feeling. Where Luna’s had been deep and arousing, Rainbow’s had been light and playful. Twilight wasn’t certain which one she liked more.

Then, Rainbow offered another repeat performance. “So, I’ll give you a bit, say two days, so we can think about how we want this to work. Then we can start talking about our wedding plans over dinner.” Rainbow leaned forward and stole brief kiss from Twilight’s lips. “I’ll see ya later, Twi. Love ya!” she exclaimed before turning and taking off through a window before Twilight could form a response.

“Oh, darling, this wonderful news. I just wish you had told me sooner so I could have gotten a head start on your dresses.”

Twilight didn’t respond.

“Twilight, is there something wrong with your eye? It seems to be–”

“Twitching, yes,” Twilight interrupted. “Just a recently developed condition. Nothing to worry about.”

Rarity couldn’t help giving her friend and incredulous stare. “Twilight, if something’s bothering you, you know you can talk to your friends about it.”

Twilight’s eye began to twitch with increasing frequency while her creepy laugh set a disturbing tone. “What could possibly be wrong?” – an unsettling smile slowly crept onto her face – “It’s not like one of my best friends thinks I want to marry her because I unknowingly placed a bird feeder filled with culturally significant seeds underneath a branch she was coincidentally taking a nap on. And it’s not like the Princess of the Night is convinced that I agreed to be her royal consort and is lending me the captain of her royal guard to be my romantic servant as compensation for accepting the position of royal consort. Oh, and it certainly isn’t a problem that Luna and Rainbow both decided to come to my place, in the evening, two days from now to have a date to discuss the future of our relationship!”

It was at this point that Rarity noticed several disturbingly familiar signs. Twilight’s mane had somehow managed to turn completely frazzled and unkempt, her jaw was set to the side, her head was tilted at an odd angle, her eyes had widened and seemed to have stopped blinking almost entirely, and she was nervously stroking her tail. Rarity knew she had to act fast. If she didn't nip this in the bud then it would only end poorly for everypony.

“Twilight, I need you to listen very carefully.” The lavender unicorn suddenly ceased stroking her tail as she turned her head to grant Rarity her full attention. “You need to calm down, Twilight. You’re letting your worries get the best of you.”

Twilight closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. As she slowly released her breath she could feel her body starting to relax. She repeated the same breathing exercise for several minutes. Eventually the stray, frazzled hair of her mane fell back into its normal style. With most of her tension gone, she slumped over, falling to her side on the couch.

“Feeling better?” Rarity asked with a tentative smile.

“Yes.”

Rarity’s smile grew in confidence. “Alright. Now why don’t you start by giving me all the details. I can’t very well help you concoct a plan without knowing what’s going on, now can I?”

Author's Note:

Sorry this one's a bit short.

Finally finished reorganizing my schedule, to make writing a much higher priority. The next chapter is already under way.

Thank you all for your patience. I look forward to providing more frequent updates going forward.