• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 4,947 Views, 245 Comments

A Tale of Two Lunas - Everythingpossible



A princess and a young girl, both with the same name, wake up in a strange place one morning, unsure of how they got there.

  • ...
16
 245
 4,947

A Letter from Canterlot

My Faithful Student Twilight Sparkle,

I am sorry to ask so much of you again, but I am afraid we find ourselves again in a dire situation. Discord has returned, I do not know why or how. His power has been weakened significantly, but it is possible for him to take control of Equestria if we do not act swiftly. Luna and I could easily defeat him, except my sister disappeared mysteriously a few days ago. So, I regret that I must ask you and your friends to return to Canterlot and wield again the Elements of Harmony (which I have insured the safety of) to defeat him. I am sorry to trouble you with this, but you are our only hope.

Signed,
Princess Celestia


Twilight could not believe her eyes. Discord returned? And Princess Luna missing? Surely this was a misunderstanding, surely this was some sort of joke? She read the letter again, and to her disappointment, the words were all there in blue ink.

“Well?” said Spike, who had just delivered the message to the perplexed purple unicorn.

“Look at this!” said Twilight, shoving the parchment in the young dragon’s face. Spike grabbed it away from her and held it so he could read it.

“So?” he said, “You and the other ponies have used the Elements of Harmony a bunch of times. You just gotta go up to Canterlot and zap Discord again, right?”

“Well, yes, Spike, but it’s not that simple! Didn’t you see that Luna is missing?”

“Ah, she’ll turn up eventually. Remember that time she went to the chocolate festival in Vanhoover?”
Twilight Sparkle’s worried look transformed into a frown.

“Don’t remind me” she said, remembering the weeklong search for both the princess and an entire metric ton of assorted confections.

“Well, anyway, she’ll be fine. Just get the gang together and go help the princess. I’ll make sure your books are fine.”

About two hours later, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Applejack were gathered at the library. They had assumed something was wrong when they all heard their friend Twilight running about the town screaming “Princess…. Elements….. Discord….” repeatedly at the top of her lungs. Before they could talk about it, however, the unicorn returned, nearly breaking down the door.

“Hi girls! No time to talk now, we’ve got to plan our journey, got to buy train tickets, oh, what if he’s already– no, no, we can..”

“Ah, ‘scuse me, Twi’, but, uh, why exactly are we here?” Applejack interrupted.

“OH! Sorry.” Twilight blushed. She lifted the letter from her desk and read it aloud to the others. They were mostly not surprised, except for Rarity, who fainted as usual.
“ I don’t really see what the big deal is. I mean, we beat Discord once, we can do it again, right? Plus, she said he’s a lot weaker this time! Let’s go kick some flank!” Rainbow Dash had to be stopped from breaking out a window by Applejack.

“Now, hold on there, Dash. Now, Twilight, what’s all this ‘bout Luna disappearing’?”

“I don’t know, Applejack. Spike says she’ll turn up eventually, but I don’t know. I mean, Discord returns and she’s gone? Something’s not right here.”

“Well, whatever, Princess Celestia’s counting on us, so let’s go!”
Twilight Sparkle was in accord, so the six young ponies went to the station and boarded the next train to Canterlot.



That night, on the other side of town, Lyra and Bon Bon shared the couch in the living room of their cottage, wrapped up in either side of a large blanket. Bon Bon yawned, and set her book down on the coffee table.

“I’m going to bed. You coming?”

“Eh, in a minute” Lyra replied.

Bon Bon shrugged, and then turned and walked away into the pair’s shared bedroom. As soon as Lyra saw the light turn off and could hear Bon Bon’s audible snoring, she quickly stole away to a corner of their library. Pulling a copy of Crime and Punishment and Ponies from the many leather-bound tomes, the bookshelf flipped over, revealing a secret passageway. Lyra looked around to be sure she was not being followed, and then headed down to the cellar.

When she had made her weekly trip to Canterlot, she never figured she would have made such a great discovery. The floors, walls, and ceiling of the dusty basement were covered in magazine articles, newspaper headlines, pages from books, anything giving any insight to the mysterious and fantastical creatures known as ‘humans’. And now, she had finally found one.

She greedily spied her plunder tied to a chair in the centre of the room. The blonde female was still asleep, most likely due to the chloroform. Lyra laughed maniacally as she waited for the mythical biped to awake. A half hour later, she had almost fallen asleep at her desk when her prisoner regained consciousness.

“Oh, hello. I’m Luna Lovegood.”