• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 4,939 Views, 245 Comments

A Tale of Two Lunas - Everythingpossible



A princess and a young girl, both with the same name, wake up in a strange place one morning, unsure of how they got there.

  • ...
16
 245
 4,939

Crumple-Horned Snorkacks

WHUMF.

The familiar sound of paper hitting table was all too familiar for Princess Celestia. At some point during her reign, her royal duties, apart from raising the sun each morning and lowering it each night, had somehow shifted from warring against barbaric tribes of griffins from the north and executing traitors in the public square of Canterlot to the more mundane tasks of reading, revising, drafting, approving, and signing all manner of bills, official documents, affidavits, royal pardons, et cetera. As the stack of five-hundred-plus papers for the day made contact with her desk, she couldn’t help being nostalgic for the days when Equestria was governed not by a pen, but by longsword. The calamity of yesterday did not help her suffering.

She couldn’t help think that solving the mysterious disappearance of her sister, the Princess of the Night, ranked somewhere above a petty trade treaty with Coltnada. The duty of controlling the moon was no problem, she’d already done it for centuries in her sister’s absence, however, the biarchal government couldn’t survive long with only one of its leaders present. Also, Luna was always pretty fun to have around. And then there was…..
….her.

She really defied all explanation. Celestia had heard of humans before, but she had never heard of any acting quite so….. strange. When the princess had tried to get any information out of her, she only kept going on about something called a ‘crumple-horned snorkack’, whatever that was. The only useful intel Celestia had been able to coax out of her was that her name was Luna Lovegood, that she had no idea how she suddenly appeared in the chambers of her sister, and that she attended some sort of school of magic. Celestia had been slightly confused how anyone without a horn could perform any sort of magic, but the girl seemed to be able to do it with the help of some sort of stick. Utterly confused by almost every word she said, Celestia had let the girl roam the castle while she got down to business, as she seemed like no immediate threat to the safety of Equestria, nor any help in the investigation of Luna’s disappearance.

At that moment, the light-haired girl was roaming the Canterlot Gardens. She was still wearing her school robes, as they were the only clothes she had in this universe. She also wore a pair of spectrespecs, golden glasses in the shape of two hands, with pink and blue lenses. Luna always carried a copy of the Quibbler, the wizard tabloid published by her father, Xenophilius Lovegood. She believed the Quibbler like a scripture, even though most of its articles were of dubious factuality. Currently, she was searching for said crumple-horned snorkacks, wrackspurts, grindlemoogs, or any other sort of elusive magical creature. She suddenly looked up from the Quibbler (Held upside-down) to get a better view at a certain statue. This statue was very interesting to Luna. It detailed a very odd creature, with the head of a horse, the horns of a deer and gazelle, and long, feathered and serpent-like body. Its limbs were mismatched, having a lion’s paw, an eagle’s claw, the legs of a mule and a lizard, and the tail of a dragon. Its mouth was filled with long, pointed teeth of all shapes and sizes. Luna flipped furiously through the magazine until she found an image of a creature that looked much like this statue. She looked at the picture, then at the statue, then at the picture again.
They were identical.