• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 4,931 Views, 245 Comments

A Tale of Two Lunas - Everythingpossible



A princess and a young girl, both with the same name, wake up in a strange place one morning, unsure of how they got there.

  • ...
16
 245
 4,931

Dumbledore's Office

NOTE: I'll be alternating characters between chapters. Don't worry. I haven't forgotten Lovegood.


It was slated to be a normal Tuesday at Hogwarts Castle, but something was amiss. Morning classes had been cancelled. The students enjoyed their sudden break, while some discussed why exactly Dumbledore would decide to hold a meeting with all of the teachers in his office. Only the Ravenclaw girls had some insight as to the true reason for today’s disturbance, but they said they had been told by Professor Flitwick to discuss nothing. It wasn’t until lunch that anyone commented on the sudden absence of one Luna Lovegood.

“No offense, Professor,” the Princess of the Night said to the Headmaster, surrounded by a cavalcade of strangers in all manner of dress, “but it feels a bit like I am being interrogated”.
“Nonsense,” Dumbledore responded, “I merely felt it necessary to invite the staff to our little meeting” he said, smiling in a way which made one feel as if it’s all going to be all right. Still, she was a bit hesitant. “So, what you’re saying,” she said, “is this is a school for.. wizards, as you call them?”

“Exactly. Hogwarts is an ancient institution, founded over five hundred years ago by four great wizards. It–” He was rudely interrupted by a female wizard to his left. Luna knew nothing of this world’s customs or fashion, but couldn’t help inferring that, in any universe, she must be extremely ugly.

“Professor Dumbledore, it would be best if we… skipped over the entire history of Hogwarts School. Now– for the main point of this meeting;” she turned a hideously inquisitive pair of brown eyes towards the alicorn, who slightly staggered back in disgust. “Why, exactly, are you here, Miss Luna?” she said, in a not too friendly voice; “Why have you come to Hogwarts?”

“As I have said countless times,” she retorted, “I have no idea how or why I came here, I just–” The ugly one interrupted again.

“Just what, decided to forcibly enter this school, and endanger the lives of all of our students?”

“Er, Professor Umbridge–” interjected Dumbledore, “She has answered your question, and I believe that will do. As to any threat she may pose, I believe Professor Hagrid can affirm to the fact that unicorns are not violent creatures” he said, gesturing towards the large man on the far right, whose beard was the only one Luna had ever seen to rival that of the great unicorn Starswirl of Canterlot.

“Yeh’re correct,” he said, his words barely discernible through his thick accent. “unicorns ‘re peaceful creatures, but, I done never seen one that could talk like this ‘un!” he said, chuckling. Luna half-smiled.

“I belief his testimony is enough, Professor Umbridge?” Dumbledore said, turning back to the ghastly mass of pink that at one point may have been a human being.

“Yes, as Professor (said in a repugnant voice) Hagrid has said, ordinary unicorns are harmless, but, I think you will agree with me when I say that she is no ordinary unicorn. For all we know, she could be some sort of dangerous half-breed”.

Luna had now decided that, upon her return, she would find a nice place for Dolores Umbridge in a tidy little corner of the lowest level of the Canterlot dungeons. “I would watch your words, Dolores;” Dumbledore said, “For, I believe we are in the presence of royalty”. Luna raised her head proudly.

“Now, Your Majesty–” Dumbledore asked, in the most respectful voice possible. “You may call me Luna” she said. She found it embarrassing whenever anyone addressed her as Your Majesty. “You say that you just went to sleep, and then you had a strange dream, and then you awoke here?”

“That’s correct.”

“Tell me, what exactly was this strange dream?”

“I– I can’t remember, honestly.”

“Interesting. And, do you know anything of the student whose bed you occupied? Luna Lovegood?”

“I don’t. Although, the fact that we share a name may not be entirely coincidental.”

“Hm. Interesting, quite interesting indeed. Now I believe, unless my colleagues have anything else to add, this meeting is very much finished. Until we find a solution to your conundrum, I believe it would be best for you to stay here, within the castle. There is a room on the seventh floor which can be easily set up to accompany you. I will inform Argus Filch, our caretaker.” “Thank you very much, Professor. It is nice to know that there are some here–” she said, giving Umbridge the eye, “that are welcoming to a lost stranger.” Dumbledore nodded, smirking gaily at her quip. “However, I have one request, if you would be so kind as to grant it.”

“Anything you wish, your m–, er, Luna” he said, still smiling.

“It would be interesting if I could observe some of the classes here at your fine school, as a study of the magic taught here, in comparison to that which is taught at the Canterlot Academy, as a purely scientific study, as ‘twir.”
“I could not agree more. Unless any of our instructors has any objections–” he said, looking around the room. Umbridge was giving her the death glance. The short one from the dormitory looked absolutely delighted. The tall one with the long black hair sighed sullenly, but gave no protest. Dumbledore looked at Luna and smiled. She smiled back, and slowly began to make her way towards the staircase that led to the exit.

“One more thing, Luna?” said the Headmaster as she was almost out of sight.

“Yes, Professor?”

“Try not to scare any of the students.”

Princess Luna smiled a bit malevolently, and was gone.