• ...
21
 177
 4,570

The Hunt

The wind was howling through the frontier, the trees swaying and dancing to the wind that was sinning to them, and the shadows copping their owner. The air was filled with the early mist, and a musk of old wood, the dew on the blades of grass reflected the light given off by the early sun, giving the look of small diamonds. Connor was crouching at the base of a thick branch that was jutting out of the trunk of a withered oak, and down below was a berry bush, and next to it were two deer, a buck and a doe, who mulled about eating from the small shrub unaware of the human above them. Connor sat, waiting for one of the pair to move into place were he could land the most precise strike, for he was not what he used to be.

Connor took a moment to appreciate the peace he was granted with after all he when through, even after all these years he felt like he was still recovering. Connor took in a deep breath and gave a silent exhale, he felt natural out here, in the woods, for its a place most familiar to him, out here it was still and quiet, unlike the big city's, and towns he had visited in his past.

When Connor first walked into Boston he felt a urge, that he never wanted to leave, that this was a place to be, but that all changed, now he can not get near the city without having a small urge to burn it all down. Connor finds his bliss on the homestead, out in the woods, away from, the noise, the crime, the soldiers and about everything else in the city.

Connor looked back down to watch the deer, and he could see that the buck was right under him, and He flicked his wrist and the blade slipped out off its harness Then he jumped.The wind tore around his body then a familiar feeling came to him.the blade dove into the bucks neck as he fell over, the warm blood sprayed around his hand.The deed was done.

He pulled out the blade, then he continued on by cleaning it once he had gathered everything that had value he stood strait, and looked around, then once he had a heading to the east he marched on.His pace was fast scanning for the snare the wind was caring the sweet scent of pines and the sting of dead leafs. As he walked Twigs snapped under is feet, and some snared on his robes until he stopped.

The snare was sprung, and it had a small hare in it, Taking note of his surroundings, large tall oaks stood to his left going on for a distance, and to his right was a cliff face with a cave at the bottom, then he looked up to see it was standing at the least fifty times higher then himself, but it was a sight to see though.

A hare was laying on the ground with the thin wire around its neck, Connor then bent on to on knee over the hare. He flicked out the hidden blade, and started to clean the animal, but even before the blade was touching the hare there was a unnerving growl. Connor turned his gaze away from the hare, and scanned the woods around him.

He turned his head behind himself then he saw what was making the sound.A large black bear stood watching him with small bead like eyes. Connor gingerly turned him self to face the beast, but before he could do anymore it lunged at him. He rolled out of the way as it swung its large paw at him, in response he dove at it with his blade, at the bear, he felt the blade cut into its fat, then he pulled him self a top, and at the same time, was pulling out his tomahawk, he then started to lash at its head and neck cutting into its skin.It roared in pain flicking its self about trying to knock him off.

Then it stood strait up, and proceeded to fall backwards. To avoid injury he jumped off its back and rolled on the ground away from the thrashing animal. Once he was balanced he returned his graze to the bear, it had already rolled onto all fours. It was time to finish this he reached for his pistol.He was not fast enough.It charged him, It then swung its arm at him, and slashed him in the chest his pistol fell from his hand. Connor took a few steps until he fell over, He needed to move.

Connor rolled to left on the ground to avoid a another attack, But to his luck right in front of him was the cave he saw when he came. Connor looked back at the bear it was busy trying to get something out of a satchel that mush have been cut of by it. He saw that it was the one full of venison. Taking his chance, he dashed for the cave.

Connor took only a few steps from the mouth until it became a steep slide, he held his balance as he was going getting faster, and faster, but then his foot struck something, and in reaction Conner lost his footing, and he fell over, and continued to roll down the incline then he hit sold flat ground.

With grunts of pain Connor stood strait, and looked back up, the light was about the size of his thumb, he did not realize how far it was until now, but behind him was nothing, but pitch darkness. He wobbled over to the left with a outstretched hand it was a only two steps when he felt the cold stone wall, and with no other option he started to walk.

Connor was walking, and walking with no scene of direction or even time, he had no idea how long he was walking or where he is going, his only guide was his hand that was sliding along the rough,cold,stone wall. His eyes were adjusting to the dark but it was not enough to see.

"How long is this tunnel ?"Connor muttered to himself, it was eternal. just never coming to a end. Finally he just stopped preset himself on the tunnels side, and slid down to the ground, he was facing in front so when he wakes he knows his direction, and closed his eyes.


=======================


Connor woke to darkness, but it was the sound of something rasping on the walls that was echoing all around him. Using his hand for a guide he stood, but when he stood the scabs from the bear attack started to crack, and bleed, and with some pain he started forward. He walked for a few minutes, then The sound was becoming like one he could not identify, but he was his curiosity at bay, and kept on, but the mysterious noise started to become louder, and louder as he moved farther on, but soon, curiosity started to rise, and kept any other emotions hidden. After another amount of time past on, the sound turned into a scratching, like sound as if something is clawing the walls around him, but then it stopped like cold turkey.

Connor stopped, He started to listen for anything, but nothing came, So with no other option, he started off again. It felt like hours of blind walking never ending, he felt like a blind man walking through a forest, and with no idea of the time or direction, it started to become, unnerving, but then he started seeing a faint glow off in front of him lighting the rock around it, it was about the size of his thumb, and he figured that it was a exit. His pace started to grow faster, and faster, and faster until he was in a run, even when the pain in his chest grew with it. The glow started to become a radiant light, and brighter it became as he ran. He was running hard then the light, then became the feeling of warm sunlight on his body.

Connor found that it was a opening to the cavern,soon the light started to burn his eyes so he covered his face with his arm, and kept moving until he started to feel grass, real grass , then he pulled his arm away from his face, and was squinting against the light. At first everything was bright, and hard to make anything out, then his eyes against the blinding rays. Then everything came to view and...

"what the... " He was on top on a mountain, That he knew, but the land was one like he never seen before, he knew the land form miles around the manner, but this is all new the land was shaped like he has never seen it.

He was standing on a rolling mountain range that went on for as far as possible, then in front were rolling grass lands, and hills, and to the right was a dark looking forest that seemed to have no end, then to the left was, what looked like a small village, and a ocean beyond it, he turned his head strait, and his eyes met a large castle that was breaking the laws of gravity by, hanging on the edge of another mountain range.This was definitely not America.

Connor was to drawn into the new land to feel the pain, or notice the lavender, and cyan ponies only a few feet behind him.

"Hello ?" a woman's voice was recognizable from behind him, Connor snapped back into reality, and turned around. his jaw fell with shock.