• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 7,773 Views, 318 Comments

Spike's Crazy Date - Mr Afro Pony



Still mopey after Rarity married a faraway Prince, Spike spends his teenage dragon days in bed eating ice cream...

  • ...
35
 318
 7,773

It's Hard Out There For a Dragon

“Spike! Would you be a dear and hand me that box?” asked Rarity.

“Oh! Sure!” said Spike excitedly.

It was the day before Rarity’s voyage to Saddle Arabia. Her scaly admirer had the privilege of helping her pack.

“Ah! Picture it Spike, the culture, the people, it’s almost too much to bear!” squealed Rarity.

Spike managed not to roll his eyes, “Yeah...it’s SOMETHING all right.” he lied.

“Personal wardrobe manager! It’s an opportunity of a lifetime!” Rarity twirled around her shop like a ballerina.

Spike admired her, everything she did was graceful. It was the reason he had fallen for her in the first place. She was so elegant, so precise. So...perfect.

“Yeah...can’t wait for you to tell us how it was when you COME BACK.” he said, followed by a
nervous chuckle. Rarity stopped twirling, she looked at the dragon with concerned eyes.

“Are you okay Spike?” she asked.

The dragon’s conscience rambled his mind, ‘TELL HER, THIS COULD BE YOUR LAST CHANCE!’ it said.

“I...you can’t leave.” he said.

Rarity walked towards him, “What do you mean?” she asked.

Spike clenched his fist, he couldn’t just let her go. “Well, I’m gonna miss you.”he said.

Rarity’s bottom lip stuck out, in an almost mocking way. “Don’t worry, you’ll always be my Spikey Wikey.” she said.

Spike died a little inside, he hated that name. It was a pet name, a name somepony would use when talking down to someone. Was that what he was to Rarity? A pet? The annoying little brother of one of her friends?

“Is that all?” he asked. Rarity looked at him in surprise.

“I don’t understand.” said Rarity.

Spike looked back up, “Am I nothing more to you than you ‘Spikey Wikey’?” he asked.

Rarity paused, “No, you’re not. You’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had.”

‘...best friends I’ve ever had’ Spike was Rarity’s friend, and nothing more.

“Okay,” said Spike holding back tears. “I just wanted to make sure.”

Rarity’s smile came back, “That’s good! Now, there are just a couple of more things to pack.”
_____________________________________________________________________________

“You know you don’t have to do this.” said Vinyl. The deejay never thought that SHE would be the voice of reason.

Spike turned towards her, a small smirk on her face. “I know.” he said.

A huge crowd had gathered just outside THE RAMBUNCTIOUS UNICORN. In the center of the crowd, a unicorn and a dragon prepared to square off.

Despite Spike’s cocky attitude, the dragon was VERY nervous about this. Counting his brawl with the Flim Flam Brothers, he had only been in three fights. He won all of them, however he always had his friends to back him up. This was different, one on one, no interferences. Spike was on his own.
Neon Lights paced back and forth on the other side of the crowd, seemingly impatient.

“Come on! You scared or something!?” the unicorn asked.

Spike took a long sigh, it was now or never. He stepped towards the center of the ‘ring’, fists balled. Neon did the same, they stopped close enough to see the color in their eyes.

Neon laughed, “I’m going to enjoy this.” he said.

Spike remained silent, making sure to never look away from his opponent. Breaking eye contact was a sign of weakness, and Spike needed to be in a dominant position. He couldn’t lose, Vinyl’s honor was on the line.

‘He’s my NEW coltfriend!’, the words rung in the dragon’s head. He had something to prove. Something worth fighting for.

The crowd began to count down,

“TEN!” Spike’s heart was racing. “NINE! EIGHT! SEVEN! SIX! FIVE!” There was no turning back now. “FOUR! THREE! TWO! Worry began overtake Spike, what if he lost? “ONE! This was it.

“FIGHT!” yelled the crowd.

Neon’s horn began to glow, a bright blast shot towards the drake. Spike didn’t have time to react, the blast was a direct hit.

“AH!” Spike yelled, clutching his chest. He shook it off, trying to remain focused. As a dragon, his rough scales deflected most of the pain.

Neon rushed forward, horn pointed down like a spear. Spike dodged at the last second, nearly being impaled.

With his back towards Spike, one of Neon’s hind legs decked the dragon on the jaw. He fell down, sprawled on his back. Neon circled the downed dragon, beaming with arrogance.

“Down all ready?” he asked. He started to stomp on the dragon’s tail. Spike bellowed in pain.

He was very disoriented, black dots danced across his eyes. The surprise uppercut took away any of the little focus he had.

Using his magic, Neon threw Spike to the other side of the crowd. The dragon ragdolled, rolling onto his stomach. He tried to regain his balance, but landed on his rear end instead. Neon charged again, this time hitting his target with the side of his horn. The hit took out Spike’s right leg, he clawed at the ground trying to ignore the pain.

Neon again levitated Spike, this time high into the air. The drake squirmed, trying to break free of the unicorn’s telekinesis. Spike suddenly smashed into the ground face first. He rolled on his back, his snout now bloody and bruised. The ringing in his ears added to the pain in his head. His body was in so much agony, every part of it was sore.

“That’s enough Neon!” yelled Vinyl. She managed to push through the crowd and galloped towards Spike.

Neon laughed, “Well that was easier than I thought! He didn’t even get a single hit in!”

Vinyl waved a hoof in front of Spike’s half dead eyes. The dragon merely groaned in response. Laid out on his back, Spike could barely make out the stars in the sky. Taking a deep breathing, he rose to his feet. He staggered, eventually holding onto Vinyl for support. His swollen left eye made him look like a raccoon.

However, it wasn’t the physical pain that hurt Spike. He had lost Vinyl’s honor, and most likely her respect. It was over in a flash, all of his mental preparation went down the drain in a instant. He was a pushover, harmless to anyone important.

“You feel good about yourself?!” yelled Vinyl at Neon Lights. “You’re so tough!”

Neon rolled his eyes, “Whatever, maybe next time you won’t date losers like this guy.”

“NEON! WHAT THE BUCK ARE YOU DOING!?” yelled a voice. A older unicorn colt pushed his way towards Neon. His silver mane and wrinkly skin wore an essence of class. He had an expensive looking shirt on with a light leather overcoat. Even from the far distance, Spike could strongly smell his cheap cologne.

When Neon saw the colt, all traces of coolness left. Instead, a look of fear took him. The kind of look of fear you get when your mother heard you curse underneath your breath. As the older colt walked closer, Neon’s breathing was heavier. If he wasn’t such a jerk, Spike would’ve felt sorry for him.

“M-M-Mister Soprano! I-er...what are you doing here?” stammered Neon. The older colt’s frown deepened.

“WHAT AM I DOING HERE?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” yelled Mr. Soprano.

Neon tried to answer back, but all that came up was a high squeaking sound. By now, the large crowd was completely silent. Everypony was observing the scene.

“YOU HAVE EXACTLY 10 SECONDS TO GET BACK TO THE DEN!” yelled Mr. Soprano. His brown coat was red with anger.

Neon said nothing, but scampered away with his tail in between his legs. The older colt soon followed, leaving the crowd of onlookers alone.

There was a long silence, “Now what?” yelled somepony from the crowd. The bartender stepped towards a sill injured Spike.

“Well, normally the pony who won the fight would celebrate. But since you’re the only one still here, I guess you won?” he asked unsurely.

“Works for me!” yelled somepony else. The crowd erupted in cheer. Hoisting Vinyl and Spike in the air, they started back for the club.

“So...what should we do now?” asked Vinyl. It was time to get some of his honor back.

“Shots!” yelled Spike.
______________________________________________________________________________

It was 3AM when ‘THE RAMBUNCTIOUS UNICORN’ finally closed. A sleepy Vinyl and Spike were the last ones to leave the club. The two stumbled around outside before finally retiring to a bench on the side of the street. The cool night air made it impossible to get comfortable.

Spike’s body was still sore, but he looked much better than he did right after the fight. He wanted nothing more than to dive in his bed for some much needed sleep. Twilight was probably worried, figuring he was supposed to be back home by midnight.

“Hey, I just wanted to let you know I’m sorry.” said Spike. Vinyl turned her head towards him.

“Sorry? For what?” she asked.

Spike put a look of shame on his face, “I talked a big game and got my butt kicked by Neon. I totally lost your honor.”

Vinyl flagged him, “Are you kidding? You’re the only pon-er, dragon, to stand up for me like that! It was more than I could ever ask for.” She wrapped an arm around him, pulling him into a hug.

Spike smiled, “Thanks Vinyl.” he said hugging back.

Vinyl smiled, “Say, how did you manage to pay for all those drinks you ordered after the fight?” she asked.

A devilish grin went over the dragon’s face, “I may have stolen Neon’s credit card that may have had an unlimited spending limit.” he said.

Vinyl started to laugh, “Nice one!” she looked around. “Hey, you wanna go back to my place?”

Now Spike was young compared to dragons, but he was not ignorant. He knew exactly what ‘going back to my place’ meant. Spike looked away, trying to hide his red cheeks.

“Uh..okay.” he said.
______________________________________________________________________________

Turns out, Vinyl didn’t live too far from the Library. Her house was big, sporting 3 floors and a nice balcony. Spike marvelled at the fact that a deejay could afford such a house.

Vinyl opened the door and stepped inside. The warmth of the house practically pulled Spike inside. The living room was heavily decorated, posters, turntables, and other malicious looking items. One thing however Spike was shocked to see.

“I didn’t know you played the cello!” said Spike. Vinyl looked at the instrument in the corner of the room. The instrument was obviously well kept and maintained. It looked out of place in the deejay’s home.

“That’s not mine.” said Vinyl plainly. Spike wanted to ask who’s it was, but the tone that Vinyl answered suggested otherwise. It was the second time she had used that voice, a sad regretful one.

“I’ll be back, you should clean yourself up. The bathroom is the second door on the left upstairs.” said Vinyl. She disappeared into the kitchen.

Spike sighed, this date wasn’t at all what he had expected. Vinyl was nice but wasn’t necessarily what Spike had in mind. He hated to call her a bad influence, but he had gotten into a fight and drunk way more alcohol he had in one night then he had his entire life. And now he was at a mare’s house, preparing to do Celestia knows what! On the other hand, this was the most fun he ever had in his life! This wasn’t the type of lifestyle he would like to have long term, but it was fun now!

“Wait, where did Vinyl say the bathroom was? Second door on the right?

He walked up the spiral staircase to the brightly lit hallway. He opened the door on the right and entered the dark room. He felt for a light switch, FLIP.

The light revealed not a bathroom, but a bedroom. Before Spike could react, a voice startled him.

“Who are you? Why are you in my room?”

The mare on his left looked at him intently. Spike stared back, unsure as to how to react.

“I said who are you? Get out!” the mare threw a pillow at Spike, hitting him point blank on his forehead. He stumbled back before tripping and falling on the floor. Vinyl rushed upstairs.

“Spike! Are you okay?” asked Vinyl. She caught the eyes of Spike’s assailant.

There was a long pause.

After rubbing his already sore head, Spike stood back up, really seeing the mare for the first time. She was an Earth Pony. Her grey coat and long black mane were practically illuminating with elegance. She reminded Spike of Rarity, so refined in her appearance.

“What did I tell you about random guys going into my room?” yelled the mare.

Vinyl frowned, “What did you tell me? You’re not my mother!” she yelled.

“You’re right! If I were your mother, you wouldn’t bring home a different colt everynight!” yelled the mare.

Really? Every night?

“You’re just jealous that colts actually like me!” yelled Vinyl. The other mare rolled her eyes.

“Please! I could get more colts than you with one hoof tied behind my back!” she yelled.

Seeing as how this was going nowhere fast, Spike slowly backed away and back down the stairs. Whatever was between these two had nothing to do with him. He found the sofa in the living room, and sat there awkwardly. After a few more minutes of bickering, Spike heard a door slam. Vinyl walked back down stairs, her face full of tears.

“Are you okay Vinyl?” asked Spike concerned. Vinyl wiped away her tears and gave him an obvious fake smile.

“Oh, yeah. Don’t worry about it.” she said.

“Who was that anyway?” asked Spike. Vinyl looked away before turning back to answer Spike.

“Uh, that’s my roommate Octavia.” she said. “She constantly tells me what to do.”

Spike nodded, “How come you two live together if you don’t get along? Can’t one of you just move out?” he asked.

Vinyl plopped down on the couch next to Spike, “Well...it isn’t that easy. We both helped pay for the house.” she said.

“Oh, so you guys knew each other before moving in together?” asked Spike.

Vinyl nodded, “Yeah, we were roommates and college and we’ve been dating until around 2 mon-”

“What?” asked Spike.

“Hmm?” said Vinyl confused.

“What did you just say?”

“I said we dated until around 2 months ago.”

“You dated?”

“Yeah, until around 2 months ago.” said Vinyl, still unsure as to what the misunderstanding was.

“You dated?”

“Yes....”

“But...she’s a mare.”

“Yeah...”

“And you’re a mare...” argued Spike.

Vinyl giggled, “I’ve noticed!” she joked. Spike’s face was not a joke, his face was as pale as a ghost.

“Wait, you’re gay!?” asked Spike, shocked with the information he was receiving.

Vinyl paused for a moment, thinking about the question. “I wouldn’t say that.” she said. “I’m attracted to stallions too.”

Spike felt his brain shut off. How was he supposed to react to this? He didn’t have a problem with gay ponies (after all, everypony was pretty sure Rainbow Dash was one), but he was on a DATE with one.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

Vinyl got off the couch, “Who could that be?”she thought out loud.

The moment she opened the door, a blast of magic hit her. She fell back unconscious on the floor. Spike jumped towards her, only to be hit by another blast. Immediately, the dragon lost control of his body.

“Make sure there is nopony else in here.” said a familiar voice. Everything went black.