• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 2,467 Views, 91 Comments

Another Life - Ironwolves21



Years of killing; a hundred broken bodies, friend and foe, all leading to this point in time. The singular moment where every life Riot has ended comes back to haunt him. The moment when he stops being a soldier, and starts being a pony again.

  • ...
5
 91
 2,467

Chapter Nine

There was somepony nearby. Riot stirred in his sleep, but he couldn’t force his eyes to open. The large stallion groaned, but ended up feeling like his chest was being crushed. “Celestia....This hurts...” He managed to crack an eye open and looked up, there was a white face looking down on him from his chest. “Vinyl?”

“Vinyl? Nope!” The pony said, her face coming into focus. It was Sweetie Belle, looking much more.....Defined. “I’m so happy you’re awake! Me and Rarity missed you so much!”

Riot groaned a bit more, but managed a weak smile. “I missed you too kiddo, but would you please get off my chest? It still hurts.”

The fillies smile was reduced slightly as she hopped off. “Sorry....”

Sitting up, Riot wrapped a hoof around his side and looked about. He didn’t see anypony else. “Did you come here with Rarity? Or Hunter?”

“Yeah, my sister went to get me some food when we arrived.” She put a hoof on Riot’s foreleg. “We really missed you, Riot.”

“Yeah, I’ve been out for awhile now...” His thoughts trailed off for the moment before he spoke again. “Anyways, how have things been for you and Rares? You definitely look like you’re growing up.”

She smiled widely, and bounced a bit of her mane with a hoof. “You know, things have been fine. Rarity is still making dresses, and I got my cutie mark!” She squeed in delight. “Look!” The little mare turned, showing off the new ass-tattoo.

The vibrant mocking bird and musical bells definitely suited her. “Well done little one! Although I don’t think I can call you little anymore eh?” Riot finally managed to sit up straight; his eyes wandered about the room.

Sweetie Belle smiled, and gave her rear a bit of a shake. “Awesome, huh? The rest of the crusaders were soooo jealous! Hunter is just the best!”

That made Riot a bit more curious. “Hunter? He help you find your talent?” He smiled a bit more. “That’s me lad. Now you just need to help him find his.”

She nodded rapidly. “Mmhmm! He showed me this book on famous singers, and I tried to sing some of their songs. Apparently I’m pretty good.” The young mare said, smiling widely.

Riots mind went to the book he had been taking out before he was put down. There was no way it could have been the same book. That was just one coincidences to many. “Figures, you’ll have to show me some time Sweetie.” He ruffled her mane for a moment before a curt cough from the door. He looked up and forced a smile. “Hello Rarity.”

The white mare smiled at him. “Riot, it’s so very nice to see you awake. Little Hunter talked about you all the time; it was quite sad, I must say. But you’re up and about now, so there’s nothing to fear!” She said, trotting inside, and floating Sweetie some food. “I brought some for you too, Riot. I would think that the food here is just dreadful.”

He nodded thankfully, taking the dandelion sandwich as it was offered to him. “Thanks, and you’d be right about the grub. I’ve eaten lead that was better tasting than some of the bricks that pass for food around here.”

Sweetie giggled, but Rarity just gave him a strange look, sitting down on one of the seats. “I’m so very sorry for what happened...all that time ago.” She said, swallowing dryly.

Riot shrugged a bit. “It was yesterday for me.” He looked up and noticed the mares increasingly distressed look. “Don’t be sorry for me. You didn’t have any hoof in the whole ordeal.”

She exhaled. “I know, but I should have tried harder to get my friends under control.”

“Memory deems that you weren’t even there.” He took a big bite out of the sandwich, then lifted up a hoof as the mare went to speak. “Enough of that though.”

The elder Belle mare nodded, sitting neatly on the seat, ever the prim and proper Canterlot mare. “What would you like to talk about, Riot dear?”

“Anything important that’s happened within the year.” His thoughts went to Hunters birthday, and then to Vinyls club. “Any good news.”

“Did Sweetie Belle tell you that Hunter helped her get her cutie mark?” She asked, beaming with pride.

“Sure did. Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.” He gave the little filly a smile and nod, which seemed to make her beam with pride.

The young mare on the other side of the room stood up, and sat next to her sister, nuzzling the older mare. “I feel so silly, after trying all those crazy things to get my cutie mark. Now I can help Scoots and Applebloom get theirs too!”

He smiled and nodded. “Maybe, now you know that your cutie mark is something special, not just a random activity.” Sweetie nodded, smiling at him.The little filly had grown quite a bit, just as Hunter had... Riot shook his head, banishing the thought. “Anyways, anything else I should know about?”

The white mare tapped a dainty hoof on her chin. “Changelings... Somber...Discord...Oh! My friends want to make a public apology for what happened, and throw a small get together for you.” She smiled broadly, obviously skipping certain topics.

FUCK...... There goes my smile.
Riot shook his head slowly. “No need.”

“Are you sure? Pinkie Pie throws the best parties!” Sweetie chimed in. “She even threw Hunter his birthday party a few months ago!”

AND NOW FOR MY PRIDE.
Riot grimaced heavily and failed badly at keeping it hidden, but otherwise kept his cool. “I’m glad that she did that for him, I really am. I’m just sorry I couldn’t be there.” Again.

Rarity shook her head. “Of course you couldn’t! You shouldn’t feel guilty for something that was completely out of your hooves.”

“Yeah. You’re right.” He sat up on the edge of his bed, stretching his hooves out and grunting quietly as all, or most of his bits clicked into place. “But my answer to the ‘party’ is still no.”

Nurse Redheart took this moment to trot inside. “Mr Venture, it’s time for your physical therapy.” She said, looking to the grey stallion. “I’m sorry, but your visitors will have to leave.”

Riot nodded and went to get off the bed. “Sorry ladies, but you heard the mare. I’ll talk to you two later, alright?”

The two white ponies nodded, and Sweetie gave him a hug before following after her sibling. “Bye, Mr. Riot....” The young mare said, trotting out with her older sister.

He smiled lightly as the mares trotted out of view. His attention then turned to Nurse Redheart. “Alright, let’s get moving.” He said with a nod, much to the nurses satisfaction.

Redheart went to give him a hoof out of bed, but he waved her off, standing himself. One of his legs buckled and the stallion let out a pained grunt. Redheart put a hoof around him, steadying him. “You can’t always act like the strong stallion, Riot. One of these days it will get you killed.” She said, helping him out of the room.

“Still waiting on that Ma’am.” He trotted next to the mare, only barely noticing the painful tingling sensation all over his body. They reached to the therapy room with relative ease, but Redheart wasn’t much of a conversationalist, and Riot wasn’t exactly a shining example himself.

The going was slow, Riot’s muscles had deteriorated badly, his little escape the day before had compounded the problem, overworking the wrecked tissues. He made little progress, but showed potential.

Eventually Nurse Redheart called it a day and led him back to his room. He leaned against the bed, not quite wanting to go back to the stupidly hard mattress. “Thanks for the workout Red, didn’t occur to me that I’d be that out of shape.”

“You haven’t used any of your muscles for over a year, what did you expect to happen to them?” She hung a clipboard from the edge of his bed after writing something on it.

“For everything to be fine. I wasn’t exactly planning on napping that long.” He managed a smirk, only to receive a disapproving look from the nurse. “Hey, it’s just a joke alright?”

Redheart sighed with disapproval. “This isn’t funny, Riot. You need to take it easy sometimes, just lay down, let other ponies take care of things. You’re going to end up running yourself into the ground.”

Riot held up a hoof in defeat. “Alright alright.” He pushed himself up onto the bed and sat there for a moment. “Just don’t hit me with a clipboard alright?”

“I’ll beat you with this clipboard if I feel like it.” She said, exhaling, giving his hoof a halfhearted slap with it.

He faked horrible pain, falling back onto the bed hissing in pain. “You’re such a mean pony! Where’s the lovely mare I shared a drink with at the Horseshoe?” He hoped that his attempted “puppy dog eyes” were working.

She raised an eyebrow and smothered a smile. “That’s more like it. Act like that more often and maybe your body will have time to heal before you throw yourself willingly through a meat grinder again.” The mare said, trotting out of the room.

Riot rolled his eyes after she had left and the door had closed. He was lucky to have a room, and not have to share a ward with various other ponies. His eyes went around the room, causing him to let out an exasperated sigh. “Damn it all to high hell.” Laying back onto the bed, Riot started counting bumps in the roof.

Food arrived again, and he choked some of it down, still hungry after the extensive therapy. The stallion groaned, rubbing his eyes with a hoof. He levitated a book from the small cart that had been wheeled to him to him and began to read.
______________________________________________________________________

Another slow, painful day later.


Riot had just finished his bout of physical therapy for that day. He was, once again, staring up at the ceiling in pure boredom. The sound of hooves nearing his room only made him want to roll over and pretend to sleep. He hadn’t had much luck with visitors as of late.

“Ash?” A voice asked, knocking a hoof on the doorframe. “Are you awake?” Aurora’s voice, tinged with sadness and trepidation.

His round of bad luck just seemed to never end. “I’m awake.” He didn’t open his eyes though. Her demeanor was off, and Riot suspected that he definitely wouldn’t like it.

She swallowed dryly, and sat down on one of the seats. “A-Ash...I know I’m the pony you want to see the least, but we need to talk.”

He cracked an eye open, finally looking at her. “Yeah? Alright. Help me up.” He was still tired from the workout, and the dead weight of his own legs was starting to make him question his ability to run from his problems.

The mare pulled him to his haunches, giving his foreleg a rub. She took a deep breath, and sat back on the seat. “Ash.....We got some n-news...Good news....Last year....D-do you remember?” She struggled with getting the sentence out into the air, and it drove another pang of worry into Riot.

Things were starting to piece themselves together, and they weren’t looking good. He still managed a smile though, he had another foal! “Yeah, I remember.” He rubbed his eyes with a hoof. “What’s her name? When do I get to see her?” Despite everything, this was still Aurora. He couldn’t assume the worst right off the bat.

She took a ragged breath, a tear forming at the edge of her eye. “Y-you d-don’t....N-nopony does....” The mare said, more tears beginning their trek down her face.

Riot sucked in a breath, knowing completely now what she had done. He closed his eyes and nodded. “Well...You did what you had to do. You couldn’t exactly support yourself and Hunter, as well as a new foal on just Cheerilees wages.” It was the truth, or at least the only truth he would listen to.

The mare’s wings drooped, her ears laying back. “I-I’m s-sorry......I-I wanted to k-keep her...S-so much......I-it w-wasn’t f-f-fair of me to d-do it w-without y-your permission....”

He wanted to yell at her, call her an idiot and a murderer. But deep down, he knew it wouldn’t change anything. His second foal would still never live, and Aurora still wouldn’t come back to him. That last one was a given, she was never coming back. “It’s alright Aurora...I understand.”

“No you don’t!” She shouted suddenly, tears pouring down her cheeks. “Y-you have no idea! I-It f-felt like m-murder......I-I k-killed my foal........I-I s-should have p-p-put her up for a-adoption, a-anything but that.....”

He leaned forward, dragging the mare into a hug whether she damn well wanted one or not. It was a familiar hug. One born not of love or sympathy, but of a severe lack of options. He had shared that hug with her in a cold alley in Dublin, amidst the bodies of almost a dozen armed ponies.

Her tears wetted his neck, the sobbing mare making his fur absolutely sopping. “I-I-I’m s-so s-sorry....”

Riots own venire was starting to crack badly. He had wanted another foal... His hooves embraced the mare tightly, allowing her to empty her tear ducts into his fur, all the while allowing him to try and compose himself.

“I-I n-never ever w-wanted th-this to h-happen.....” She squeaked, wrapping her wings as well as her hooves around his chest, enclosing him with warmth.

“It still happened Aurora, we just need to roll with it the best we can.” He had finished composing himself, and was now able to think clearly without the desire to strangle her to death or burn the town down.

“I-I know....I know.....B-But I-I’m a killer, Ash......I m-murdered my foal.....O-our foal...”

Riot pulled away, separating himself and the mare with his hooves. “Aurora, it was your choice.” His voice was hard and his expression was set. “You have to live with the consequences.” In all honesty, while he still loved her, he was tired of her shit. She wasn’t even his anymore, and she expected him to just sit and listen to all of her own misbegotten problems? “We both have to live with the horrible things we’ve done.”

She swallowed again, and stood. “I-I’m sorry.....Y-you had the r-right to know....Goodbye....” The mare said, trotting out, wings hanging slightly limp.

Riot sighed as he laid back down. He was glad that the whole ordeal was over, for now at least. His nose scrunched up as yet another set of hooves approached. “Celestia dammit, I’m this close to just up and leaving this bloody hole.”

But it just turned out to be the nurse with the breakfast cart. At least the cereal and the juice was good here. Then again, it’s hard to fuck up corn flakes. He took a bite and immediately regretted the earlier thought. “What did I do to deserve piss in my corn flakes!?”

A passing pony poked their head through the door in curiosity, but a look from Riot sent them packing, galloping down the hall, forgetting the cart of food. He looked at the cart longingly, but came to the realization that it probably had the same swill and hard slop he had to eat on it.

Riot exhaled in frustration as he fell back on the pillow, hooves splayed out. “I hate this place.”

He heard the pony come back, and heard him say. “Wow, that was close, I almost lost all of the food for the doctors!”

RIot let out a growl, and threw his bowl into the hall, startling the food pony. “Fuck you!”
____________________________________________________________________________

Riot was hoofing through through a gossip magazine as he laid in bed. The only real reason for doing this wasn’t for information or actual gossip, but because one of the orderlies had ‘accidentally’ spilled water on the only book he had. The thing had become sopping wet, and had sat for almost fourteen hours before he found it. The orderly was lucky, considering Riot had been asleep at the time. Riot stopped at one part, the one outlining the drug addled fall of some shitty stage magician.

Riot stared up at the ceiling, not being able to look at the horrid magazine any longer. He was to take today off from any physical activities, orders from Redheart. “Lovely, it looks like they don’t wash the ceiling...”

He heard hooves, and a small grunting sound of a pony lifting something heavy. The door opened, and Hunter staggered in, back loaded down with books. The young colt stood tall, before the weight crashed down on him, bringing him to his knees.

Riot chuckled lightly as he telekinetically lifted the books off of Hunter. “Hey Hunter! These for me?” He looked some of them over, not recognizing many of the titles. There were a few from his college days, but nothing beyond that.

The colt breathed a sigh of relief, standing up fully. “Mmhmm, I brought all the books from home that I thought belonged to you.”

He pulled back a bit, then leaned forward and squinted at some of the titles. “Welp, shows how much I read.” One book stood out though. He pulled it forward and smirked at the title. “Heh, this the one you showed to your fillyfriend?”

Hunter blushed, the redness reaching up to his ears. “Sw-Sweeties n-not my filly friend! W-we’re just friends....good friends.” He said, looking to the book. “But yeah...That’s the one.”

Riot smirked as he placed the book down next to him. “Well, maybe you should take her on a nice....Outing, to the local shop. Maybe have lunch with her.” Riot leaned forward, making a show of him not letting anypony else hear the conversation. “I always kept some bits in my flak armour, pull the plate off the inside.”

Hunter blushed again. “I-I d-don’t know......W-we d-don’t like each other like t-that...” The colt said, bashfully.

“Oh don’t you play coy with me lad, I may not be able to leave this bed, but I’ll tickle the livin giggles out of you.” A smile had finally spread to Riot features, seeing Hunter like this gave him a definite and profound morale boost.

“S-she’s older than me, a-and she already has her cutie mark.....S-she wouldn’t be interested...” The colt said, sitting down on one of the chairs.

Riot sighed, leaning on his good hoof. “Alright lad, listen up. I’m gonna teach you a valuable lesson right here.” The colt nodded, looking at him intensely. Riot looked about again, then spoke. “Alright, first off, never assume a mare is out of your league. She may be pretty or smart or all of the above, but she’s still a pony, just like you and me. Second, you need to take chances! Third, don’t jump headlong into things, take her out on a couple dates, get to know her, then see if you want her as your special somepony.”

“I-I d-don’t know.....W-we’ve known eachother for so long....It’d be kind of weird.” Hunter said, putting a hoof on his chin as he thought the whole things over.

“It’s not weird Hunter, it doesn’t even have to be a date.” Riot patted his son on the shoulder. “Just be confident, like I know you are. She’ll see that, and trust me lad, she likes you a whole lot. Don’t waste this opportunity twiddling your hooves thinking for shoulda coulda woulda.”

He nodded rapidly. “Alright, Dad! I’m gonna do what you said, I’m not gonna worry about any kind of age difference.” The colt smiled widely. “I’ll see you soon, Dad! I’m gonna go and ask Vinyl for ideas!!” The colt galloped out before Riot could finish his stammered reply.

“Vinyl? No! Hunter wait! DATE RAPE ISN’T THE ANSWER!” Riot flopped out of the bed, having over-extended his reach. He landed on his face, and crumpled into a half ‘c’; medical sheet draped around his being. “Dammit.”

The colt was already gone, either not hearing, or not paying attention to Riot’s plea. The larger stallion groaned, getting onto his knees. Riot flopped over, letting his back rest against the bed for the time being.

Nurse Redheart poked her head in. “Riot! Get back in bed, I said take it easy today. It looks like you have lots of books, go ahead, read something.”

“I fell dammit!” The mare was already gone. “Yeah well fuck you too...” He wrenched himself off the ground and against the bed. “I. HATE. This sordid hellhole of a hospital.”

“No badmouthing the hospital!” Redheart’s head showed again long enough to berate him, and then disappeared.

“HELP ME UP YOU MED SCHOOL DROPOUT!” Riot huffed in anger as he started trotting towards the door. He slammed the door shut, and propped one of the chairs against it. ”I’ll get you back. just you wait.”

He flopped onto the bed, and sighed heavily. “Damn it....” The stallion levitated a book to himself, cracked it open, and began to read.

“‘Singing, and you.’ Celestia, Why me?” He tossed the book to the side, before grabbing an action adventure novel.
___________________________________________________________________________

Yet another day went by.

Riot was beginning to show solid improvement in his physical well-being, almost to the point of being able to escape again. Although the guard stationed at his door would still be a major wall for him to overcome in any attempt.

Riot tossed the finished book to the side. He was starting to seriously run out of books. All he had left was a book on applied physics and its effects on magic, and the stupid singing book. Riot let out a sigh, before picking up the book on singing. As he cracked it open, a crumpled slip of paper slipped out. Riot cocked his head, before picking up the note.

It read: ‘Don’t think about singing, just let it happen. Don’t force yourself to write, let your heart do the writing for you.’

That had been hours ago. He had thrown his self respect to the wind, and given the whole music thing a shot.

His horn lit up a bit, playing the ghost instrument, much like the book had taught him. He knew the thing sounded tinny and dull, but something told him it would do.

“Eyes burn with stinging sweat....”

There was a knock at the door, and Vinyl entered. The white mare was smiling widely, and took off a blue scarf that was flecked with snow. She shook her electric blue mane, freeing more of the white crystals from it. “Mornin’ Riot, was that you? That was really good.” She said, trotting to his bedside.

He waved a dismissive hoof as he set down the book. “I’m bored out of my skull, I’ll try anything at this point.” His frown broke out into a small smile as he looked up at the mare. “I was wondering when you’d swing by and see me again.”

She gave a nod. “Yeah, sorry about that. I’ve had lots of work to do down at the club. The new bouncer I got is a scumfuck. I think he might be taking from the till when I’m not looking.”

Grunting, Riot swung his hind legs over the edge of the bed. “Once I get the go ahead from Redheart, I’ll swing by and see what I can do.” His back arched, popping in several places.

The mare smiled at him, brushing a bit of wetness from her side. “It’s been crazy snowy recently. It’s beautiful outside, take a look!” She said, throwing open the curtains, allowing sunlight to stream through the frosty windows, showing a beautiful scene of snow covered trees.

Riot nodded a bit, standing up and trotting next to Vinyl. “Looks real nice...” His eyes closed for a moment. “You think we could go for a walk? Even just a quick one?” He was nearly desperate for some time away from the sterile hell he was trapped in, and a bit of time with Vinyl might actually help him in more ways than one.


Vinyl nodded. “I’ll see if Redflanks will let you off your leash for a bit.” She said, giving him a pat on the shoulder. He grunted in thanks, using his magic to clean up some of the books. The mare returned quickly, a smile on her face. “She said you are allowed to go out for half an hour. Come on, lets go grab something from sugarcube corner real quick.”

“Alright, as long as I don’t have to run a marathon.” Riot started trotting along with the mare.

“So, what’s happened for you recently?” He smiled a bit as he trotted out the sliding front doors.

She brushed her mane back, smiling warmly at him. “The club had really taken off in the first month or two after you left. Oh, and Wild being out of town? Get this, he’s training to become a cook. A cook! We’re going to set up a kitchen at the club, and he’ll cook for us.”

Riot let out a coughing laugh. “W-What!? He’s going to cook?” The buck laughed heavily as he walked. “My last memory of his cooking involved one of our trenches exploding.”

The mare shook her head. “No, Riot. He’s gotten really good at cooking bar food. He did some for Kepler, Berry and I a few months back and it got me thinking. With all the extra cash we’re getting from the place getting more patrons, we can get some kitchen stuff, and then we can get even more money than just from drinks!”

He held up a hoof, letting her know his standing on it. “I’m fine with that, but I’ll believe he’s improved when there isn’t any colemane burner shrapnel in my half-cooked food.” They trotted down the road, sharing a laugh. The door to Sugarcube corner clicked open and they trotted inside.

“Hello Dearies!” Mrs. Cake said, smiling widely. “It’s good to see you back on your hooves, Mr. Venture.”

“You can just call me Riot Ms. Cake, everypony else does.” He grimaced slightly as Vinyl pressed against his side.

The blue mare nodded, and continued to smile. “Alright. What would you two like?”

Riot shrugged, looking at Vinyl. “I don’t have any bits on me, this is more of a talky-date thing.”

“Date? Hehe, I didn’t know we were on a date.” Vinyl said, fluttering her eyelashes. “Two hot chocolates, and a chocolate-chip muffin. Do you want anything, Riot?”

He blinked a bit, realizing his own words. “No uh...Yeah, I’m good.” He pushed a weak smile as he pointed at the usual corner booth.

Vinyl nodded to him, and slid the bits across the counter. “Okay then, I’ll be right there” He nodded, then trotted over to the booth. He sat down with a thud, then laid his head down on the table. The mares started to chat, but he didn’t hear it. Vinyl was still smiling widely, and Mrs. Cake was looking happy. She gave Vinyl a quick hug, and sent her off with the delicious treats.

Riot watched as the mare sat down before him with the drinks and muffin. “Thanks Scratch, I needed the fresh air.” His head was still down on the table, so he couldn’t really see what face she was making.

The mare patted him on the head, and took a bite of her muffin, sighing with pleasure at the tasty treat passing her lips. “No problem, big guy. I missed you, you know.”

“Yeah...Been getting a lot of that...” He brought his head up, and looked at the mare. “It only feels like I’ve been in the hospital for four or five days...Everything still hurts.”

She rubbed his hoof with her own. “I’m sorry, I really am....” She sipped her hot chocolate, and poked him. “Go on, have a drink.”

He nodded, taking the drink in his hooves. He smirked a bit, taking a deeper sip. Riot placed the glass down and looked back up at Vinyl. “Has Hunter come and seen you?” Riot placed a hoof down on the table and sighed.

Vinyl giggled, and drank from her hot chocolate again. “Oh yes, it was so adorable!...I gave him my best advice!”

“Wait, he’s....What.” Riot was struck with an eerie revelation. “I.. out....Wha....”

The mare smiled, taking another bite of food. “Hehe, he was so cute. All blushy when he asked me.”

Riot was still floored by the revelation. “I gave him tips....And he goes to you. Fuck.” His face was now buried in his hooves.

She giggled, patting his hoof. “It’s alright,I won’t get him into trouble. Well, not before I give him tips on what to do in bed.” The mare said, whispering the last bit in her ear.

The stallions chest spasmed as he made a half assed attempt to lunge at her. “I hate you. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate you.”

“Aww, don’t be like that. I know you love me.” She gave him a playful kiss on the forehead. His expression softened, but only by so much. His hooves curled back towards himself, but he didn’t say anything. “Come on, big guy. It’s alright. It’s just puppy love.” She said, still smiling as she took another sip.

Riot sat back up, looking out the window. “Yea, thanks for the drink lass.”

“Are you alright?” Vinyl asked, brow furrowing slightly.

His eyes followed the orange mare and her rainbow coloured companion as they approach the store. “I’d like to be. But I’m in an abusive relationship with life. It keeps beating the crap out of me, and I’m too much of a coward to leave.”

Vinyl followed his eyes, and looked out at the pair of element bearers. She breathed out a curse, before placing her hoof over Riots. “It’s okay, they’re actually really sorry about what happened. Everypony was horrified at what happened. Especially with Fluttershy, but I think she’s been hardest on herself over it all.”

“So that’s the yellow bitches name? Heh, that’s a stupid name.” He grinned a bit, but it was a failed cover for a toothy snarl. While everypony else was over the whole deal, it was still brutally fresh in his mind. She had pretty much tied him down for execution by her coltfriend. The only reason he was alive was because she didn’t have the guts to drive nails through his hooves.

She gave his hoof another pat, noticing the look of malice in his eye. “Listen, I’ll get them to leave you alone, okay?”

Riot sighed heavily, turning back to his drink. “Just ignore them, hopefully they’ve got more than two brain cells to rub together between the two of them.”

Vinyl went to say something, but the chime of the door interrupted her. Rainbow Dash and Applejack trotted in, going straight for the counter. Dash leaned against the side, looking at Applejack. “I hate this AJ, this whole thing happened last year! I shouldn’t have to apologize to some asshole for a year old thing that he caused.”

The orange mare looked at her friend. “Now that ain’t fair, Dash. He was out for a whole year, can you imagine how bad that would be? Not to mention what actually happened to him last year, with you making him break most of his ribs an’ nearly killin’ him.” Applejack bumped the mare’s side with her hoof.

Rainbow Dash looked shocked, almost betrayed. “AJ! You say that like it was all me! You were there too, and you were pretty keen on that pitchfork.” The mare waved her hooves through the air as she floated. “He had a gun! We all did what we had to.”

Applejack looked at the floor. “Ah know Ah did. But Ah also know that what Ah did was wrong. Even if he did hurt mah brother.” She put her hat over her heart. “Ah swore that Ah wouldn’t hold it against him, and Ah won’t.”

Dash snorted hotly. “He’s probably still an asshole.”

Riot scowled hotly at the back of the mares head; wishing his eyes would bore hot little holes in the back of her head and turn her pathetic brain into cupcake mix. He huffed angrily, focusing entirely on his drink.

Vinyl put a hoof on his. “Just ignore her, she’s a bitch to everypony.” Applejack’s eyes widened slightly with recognition, seeing Riot, but she stayed quiet.

Riot made eye contact with the farmer pony, letting his extreme dislike for her and her friends seep through. He didn’t say anything, but he made it obvious he wasn’t impressed. Rainbow Dash on the other hoof, did not stay silent.

“What kind of name is Riot anyways? The name of a troublemaker thats what! I mean, we’re peaceful, he’s just some muscled unicorn who thinks he’s better than everypony else.” She rolled her eyes as she spoke. “The army didn’t even do anything at Hoofington, it was all the Wonderbolts!”

Riots muscles twitched violently as he smothered the burning desire to beat the mares head against the counter. The farm ponies expression became one of worry as the trained killer who sat merely four metres away bristled with barely contained rage.

“Dash. Shut the fuck up for five minutes.” Applejack said. “Come on, lets get outta here, these ponies are just tryen’ ta eat.”

Rainbow sneered at the farmer. “What, are you gonna make me? And I came here to eat too! I want my snack AJ, and we need to get Pinkie.” She leaned in a bit closer to the orange pony. “So you can shut the fuck up.”

Applejack led her away from the general direction of Riot, mouthing ‘sorry’ to him. The rest of their conversation was inaudible. Vinyl shook her head, finishing her drink. Riots mood was thoroughly ruined at this point. “I shouldn’t have left my bloody room today. I should have left this whole damn town.” He fumed at his surroundings.

“Don’t be like that, Riot. Dash is a loudmouth. Nopony else thinks that, not even Fluttershy. In fact, she was mortified at herself and her Ex. She didn’t even leave her house until last february.”

“I don’t care.”

Vinyl swallowed. “P-please don’t leave.....”

He sat back, slumping a bit. “I can’t. I have to stay in this shitty backwater almost indefinitely.”

“Why is that?” The mare asked, cocking her head to the side.

His muzzle contorted, showing his disdain for the subject. “Stuck here as long as Aurora wants dual custody. I can’t leave, not without giving her full custody.” He growled in anger. “That, and I’m stuck here as long as Redheart’s runnin’ care for me.”

She nodded, seeming apathetic towards him. “Well, not indefinitely.....Hunter gets to choose in a few years.”

“I hate this place.” He watched the two mares argue in the corner. Eventually a pink mare trotted from the back and trotted over to the two. The three started arguing, but in a less heated manner. “I hate it, and it’s going to be my grave.” He scowled, seeing the town more as a trench than a home.

Vinyl exhaled. “Stop being so dramatic. You’re starting to sound like Princess Luna.” Riot finished his drink, then placed the cup to the side. He rubbed his eyes, feeling run down and old. He breathed out slowly, trying to calm himself. The trio in the corner had finished arguing, but it seemed like Rainbow had realized that he was sitting there, and he had heard everything. “I mean, you’re still in your prime! Look at yourself, you’re still amazing, you’ve got your whole life ahead of you.”

The prismatic mare went pale as she found herself locked by his murderous gaze. Mentally, he promised that if he had his way, she’d regret every living moment. If the hot blush from Rainbow did anything for him, he didn’t show it. The rainbow mare blitzed out of the store, leaving the other mares in her wake. He rolled his shoulders, the fierce frown never leaving his muzzle “Right.”

Vinyl sighed. “Come on, lets get you back to the hospital. Redflanks will have my head if I return you late.”

He exhaled, then went to stand up. “Yeah, it’s not like I can run away anymore.” He looked at the DJ, then softened his features. “Let’s get moving.”

She smiled, and they trotted out into the snow, the stuff starting to fall from the sky again. “Wow, looks like it’s not gonna let up. Maybe Hunter will get the day off and get to come see you tomorrow. Tell him to swing by around five for lessons, kay?”

He nodded slowly. “Yeah, will do.” Vinyls smirk died down a bit, but she didn’t say anything. The pair trotted in silence through the snow. Eventually the hospital came into view, and Riot stopped in his tracks.

“What are you doing, Riot?” She asked, cocking her head.

His head hung down a bit. It felt as though everything was trying to drive him down into the snow. “Vinyl...”

“What’s wrong? Oh no...Are you hurt?” She asked, crouching down to make sure he was okay.

“No, not really...” He looked at the mare, not bothering to try and front any fake emotions. He looked over at a bench and motioned to it. Riot didn’t wait for the mare to say anything, he just trotted over and plopped down.

She swallowed, and sat next to him. “What’s wrong, Riot?”

“She’s right you know... I made a huge mistake, and now I’m paying for it.”

“So? Everypony has.” Vinyl looked out into the snowy day.

He shook his head slowly, looking over the snow. His mind was trying its best to hold back the images of blood, shells and bodies marring the view. “I’ve made some bad ones.”

Vinyl rubbed his back with a hoof. “Don’t talk like that Tiger.”

His breath fogged up in the air, almost looking like gunsmoke in his minds eye. “I wanted to find a nice place to live. You know, raise my son, be with my wife. Be a good pony.” His eyes went up to look at the beautiful sky. “Thing is, I’m not a good pony. Never will be. I-”

The mare sighed, cutting him off with a hoof. “Alright, Riot. I’ve let you keep up this ‘woe is me’ shit for too long.” She stood up a bit on the bench. “Celestia damn it, you are the strongest pony I know, stop fucking beating yourself up for something you did under orders. You saved innocent ponies from having to see and do what you’ve seen and done, that alone makes you a good pony. I swear to Celestia, if you ever say you aren’t a good pony again, I’m bringing out the ballgag and the spanking stick.”

His mood turned foul as he turned to the mare. “I want to be a good pony, that’s all I’ve ever wanted since I got here!” He held a hoof up to the side of his head. “I’m fucked up! I can’t stop seeing what I did, Celestia will never let me forget! I can’t be normal and good while I watch my best friend get his head blown off by some fucking traitor with an itchy trigger.” His eyes were brimming with tears, but none fell.

Vinyl brought him into a loose hug, and nuzzled his neck. “It’s okay, Riot. I’m here for you. You’re a good pony, strong, and brave, and protective......You’re the perfect stallion.”

Riot started chuckling, but his laughing started to break down. “Perfect...Fuckin...Lies...” He pressed his hooves into his face, trying to stem the pain. His chest heaved heavily as he tried to push out his memories. For a moment Riot thought about bashing his own head in, but he knew it wouldn’t solve anything.

The mare sighed again. “Alright, come on, lets get you inside.” She said, pulling him to his hooves.

He shook his head, wanting nothing more than to roll over and die. He did start trudging along with Vinyl, but he couldn’t harden his features anymore. After a short bit, he was nearing the point where he wouldn’t dare set hoof in a public place.

Vinyl put a hoof over his shoulder, and nuzzled his neck. “It’s alright....”

He stopped, wiping his face with a hoof. “It’s not....It’s really...Really...Not.” His haunches plopped down in the snow, causing it to crunch under him.

The mare sat next to him, and kissed his muzzle. “I know, I know.....But I’ll be here for you.” He didn’t say anything, only whimpering weakly as he hugged the mare. Riots eyes clenched as he tried to keep his composure. She kissed him again, pulling him tighter. Riot wrapped his hooves around Vinyl, hoping the pain would fade. The mare pulled back a bit. “Riot....I’ve waited for you so long.....I-I love you so much....”

His mind was too floored at the moment to realize the impact of her statement. Riot groaned loudly, trying to stand as Vinyl hugged him tightly. “I...Celestia, everything hurts...” He wanted to push her away, but he couldn’t drive himself to it. He just wanted to die.

Vinyl was oblivious to his pain, mostly due to her own emotions. She lifted his face up, and kissed him again, hoping he would say something that confirmed his love for her. When it didn’t come, the mare stood, and trotted inside to get help. He didn’t hear what she said, but the next thing he knew, he was being carried telekinetically to a gurney, and was being wheeled down the white hall. Riot kept his eyes closed throughout, he just hoping he could slip into unconsciousness.
_____________________________________________________________________

A few hours later, and one verbal beating from Redheart down, Riot was back in his bed. He was trying his best to sleep, despite the streams of brilliant sun streaking through his window.

A knock came from the door. It was Vinyl again, looking guilty. “Listen Riot, you can throw me out in a second....I came to say sorry....I s-shouldn’t have kissed you when you were weak like that....It was wrong of me...”

Riot didn’t roll over, but he didn’t shoo her away. “It’s alright Vinyl...I understand.”

“A-and telling you h-how I felt....I-I should have waited for a better time....”

“It doesn’t make sense.” He rolled over, looking at the mare. “Why?”

She swallowed, sitting down on his bed. “B-because you’re amazing.....You’re strong....and brave....and chivalrous.....and gorgeous....”

“And prone to psychotic breakdowns, violent tendencies, flashbacks, and a serious lack of personal faith.” He sat up in the bed as the mare balked. “Dangerous, and well trained.” He added, looking at the mare, but his eyes weren’t filled with anger or love. They were filled with sadness.

Vinyl laid down next to him, sighing sadly. “I don’t care about any of those things, Riot. You’re a good pony.....And I love you, Riot....I love you so much....”

His eyes clenched shut. “Just.... Just stop.” Aurora had said the same thing, just look at how that turned out. This would only end in pain, especially if she continued with her usual ways. “I can’t do this right now... I’m sorry.”

She swallowed, and stood up. “A-alright...I-I’ll see you s-soon, okay?”

He nodded slowly, turning over once again so his back was still to the mare. “Yeah....”

The mare inhaled, and sniffled, trotting out of the room. She managed to keep her tears of rejection inside until she’d at least left the lobby. Riot thought about trying to read or pick up his note pad and music book. The thought was immediately dispelled, and he soon found himself drifting off to sleep.

At some point during the afternoon, one of the nurses had come in and left food, but he had no desire to fight with the bricks. Eventually, Nurse Redheart came in to check on him.

The mare trotted in, tapping some of the machines he wasn’t hooked up to anymore. “Evening, Mr. Venture. How are you feeling after your little trot about town?”

He didn’t roll over, still staring out the window at the now deep snow. “Not great.”

“What’s wrong, Riot?”

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” He exhaled loudly, trying to think of something else that he could say.

“Maybe you should go to sleep then, things will be better in the morning.”

He nodded slowly, watching as a pair of fillies frolicked through the snow. “Yeah....I think you’re right.” He wanted to ask for a sleep aid, but he knew it wouldn’t help, not in the slightest.

Redheart placed a hoof on his shoulder, and gave it a short rub. “I’m sorry this had to happen, Riot. You don’t deserve it.”

“Mumbles didn’t deserve to die, and the pilots in my helo didn’t deserve what the wehrmacht did to them. The universe is cruel and sadistic, what’s fair rarely matters.” Riot breathed out; getting tired of hearing ponies say that exact line to him over and over again. It appeared as though there was two camps of thought when it came to him. Death, or pity.

Redheart shook her head sadly as she got to her hooves, and trotted out of the room. Riot rolled over and stared up at the ceiling. A faint smirk crossed his features for a moment. “They washed the ceiling.”
__________________________________________________________________