• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 2,466 Views, 91 Comments

Another Life - Ironwolves21



Years of killing; a hundred broken bodies, friend and foe, all leading to this point in time. The singular moment where every life Riot has ended comes back to haunt him. The moment when he stops being a soldier, and starts being a pony again.

  • ...
5
 91
 2,466

Chapter Fifteen


”Oh Celestia… I don’t want to die! I don’t want to die… Please, Celestia, Faust, Anybody! Don’t let me die...”

Riot awoke with a start, his entire body feeling like it was electrified. He blinked rapidly, before rubbing his eyes. “Fuckin Westrock…” Riot looked up through his tequila hangover, and pulled back. His eyes were met by a concrete wall, and a singular cell door. “Oooooh shit.”

Shiv patted the stallion on the shoulder. “Well isn’t this fitting, considering what you did last night.”

Hazy memory of the night prior spilled into his mind; the stallion couldn’t help but wince at his own stupidity. “I should've just stayed at home. I think… I think I mighta killed those guys.”

The other stallion rolled his eyes. “Seriously? You’ve killed less deserving folks than them, and they’re the ones you feel sorry about? That’s fucked up, even for you.”

Riot snarled, taking a swing at the stallion. His hoof passed through the air. “Piss off you gorram
arsehole, I outta stick you back into the depths for this! You made me do this shit.”

“I didn’t do anything, it was all you Ashfall. I just feed, you’re the one who treats me to a buffet.”

Keeping his mouth shut; Riot stood, heading towards the cell door. As he peered out through the bars, he could see a police officer heading his way. Riot backed away, sitting down on the hard bench. The officer stopped at his cell, peeking in through the bars.

“Iron Venture?” Riot nodded, and the officer stepped away. After a minute, his cell door swung open. “Your bail’s been posted.”

Riot cocked an eyebrow as he stood up. “Who paid it? And… Don’t you guys need to hold me, questions and all that?”

The officer held a flat look. “You need to be processed, please follow me.”

Sighing quietly, Riot nodded, and followed the officer to processing. Another officer slid a stack of paperwork at him. “Please fill these out to the best of your abilities sir.”

This was going to take a while.
________________________________________________________

After about an hour or so, Riot finished filling out his paperwork, and had his hoof prints taken and filled. One of the officers stood in front of a large monitor as a stack of paper chunked through the printer. The officer grabbed it, and started reading. After a moment, he baulked and motioned over the other officer.

Before Riot could see what had printed, a small mare trotted up to him. “Excuse me, sir? Judge Hardnose will see you now. If you would follow me please?”

Riot nodded, and followed the mare quietly. She led him to a small room where two other ponies sat. One of them turned around and he automatically regretted the tequila.

“Captain.”

“Redheart?” Riot blinked, ensuring that in his haze he didn’t have the wrong pony. The mare nodded, beckoning for him to sit. He did so but stayed leery of everything. “Redheart, what’s going on? Did you post my bail?”

The white mare smiled at him, before turning her head away. “I didn’t, actually. It was government funds from Doctor Miriam.” Riot started to say something, put Redheart cut him off with a hoof. “On two conditions.”

The Judge cleared his throat drawing the pairs attention. “Okay, so. Mr. Venture, I’m going to be honest with you.” The judge shuffled his papers before looking at the larger stallion. “Last night on the 24th of December, you were assaulted by three stallions with ill intentions. You went beyond defending yourself and now two of those stallions are in critical condition.”

Riot furrowed his brow. “What about the third?”

“He’s dead.” The judge stared at Riot. The stallion simply nodded and the judge continued. “Under normal circumstance, I’d have you jailed and placed in a psych ward. But fortunately for you, the stallions you… defended yourself from were three of Ponyville’s Most Wanted. Dealing with them saved the officers here a lot of trouble.”

“And?” Redheart piped up, giving the judge a peculiar look.

The judge sighed and turned another stack of papers to Riot. “A powerful pony has requested you be placed under Miss Redheart supervision and undertake psychiatric evaluation at the new Canterlot Veterans Hospital. If you sign these papers you will circumvent any jail time. But, keep in mind that if you decide to try and avoid your new duties, you will be arrested prosecuted, and jailed for third degree murder. Am I clear?”

“Crystal.” Riot grabbed a pen and quickly scanned the documents. He finished and quickly filled out the proper spaces. “I think I got it.” He passed the papers to the judge who hoofed them off to the bailiff.

“Good.” The judge nodded. “Now please leave.”

Redheart stood, and Riot followed suite. She motioned towards the door. As they trotted out of the police station Redhearts professional look quickly degraded to a pissed off animal. “Just what the hell were you thinking!?” She hissed, catching him only somewhat off balance.

“I defended myself!” He shot back.

The mare gave him a heated look. “I asked Vinyl what happened, and she told me what you’d been doing before the whole blood bath.” Redheart shot him another glare as they walked. “Have you seriously lost your mind?”

Riot opted out of answering immediately, his mind wandering back to the night before. “Yeah…”

Redheart blinked, not expecting that answer. “Well I suppose it’s good that you’re going to get a psych eval.” The mare shook her head. “You dodged a bullet here, but you’ve still got to deal with your friends.” Redheart stopped him, a concerned look flashing across her muzzle for a moment before disappearing. “For your mental health do not, I repeat do NOT go back to the Horseshoe.”

“Right.” Riot closed his eyes for a moment. “Like Vinyl’d even let me through the door.”

Nodding, Redheart passed him a slip of paper. “Hold onto this, it’s very important.” She ran a hoof through her uniform mane. “Are you still staying at the motel?”

“Yeah?” Riot cocked an eyebrow.

“Good. You’ll be getting a call later today.” Redheart smiled weakly at him for a moment. “Happy Hearths Warming Riot.” She said before turning around and walking away.



Wait.

Hearths Warming.

Hunter.

FUCK.

Riot facehoofed, groaning inwardly. He had to go see Hunter, and he didn’t have much of a present for the colt. First off, nopony would be open today; second, what would he get for Hunter?

The problem had no immediate proper solution so he’d just have to come up with one on the fly.
________________________________________________________________

Riot finally stood outside the home of Cheerilee and Aurora, his hooves planted firmly on the ground. He took a long breath to steady his nerves, then knocked on the door. He focused, quietly practicing looking happy for holiday purposes. The throbbing in his head didn’t help matters at all.

There was a set of hoofsteps, and the door was opened by none other than the pony that Riot had come to see. “Daddy!” The colt threw his hooves around Riot’s neck, nuzzling into his fur.

“Oh thank Celestia, I’m glad it was you who opened the door Hunter.” Riot hugged Hunter back, then stole a look into the still dark house. “Is your Ma still asleep? That’s...Odd. Especially on Hearths Warming.”

The young colt looked up to him, smile still wide on his features. “Well, Momma went back to bed after we opened our presents. She was really tired from me waking her up so early, I guess.” He said, shrugging.

Riot rolled his eyes, knowing the probable answer behind her being missing in action. “That’s alright Hunter, I don’t really think she’d want to see me anyways.” Riot looked about for a second. “So, I’ve got good news and bad news.”

Hunter just kept on smiling, looking as if absolutely nothing Riot could say could make him feel down. “What is it, dad?”

“Alright, first off, your present.” Riot dug through his jacket, ignoring the dog tags that were still in there along with the shrapnel. “I don’t have much military stuff left, and I didn’t know what to get you, so this will have to do.” He passed a bag to Hunter, one which jingled with roughly forty bits. “I know its not much, but I thats the best I can do at the moment.”

The colt pulled himself into his father again, digging his muzzle into the grey stallions neck. “You didn’t need to get me anything, I’m just happy to see you today.”

Riot shook his head. “Nonsense, it’s Hearths Warming. You get a present.” Now, for the bad news.” Riot rubbed the back of his head. “I have to start seeing a pony about some problems I’ve been having lately; so I may have to go out of town every now and then.”

Hunter’s face fell, but not by much. “T-that’s alright, Dad. If you have to be away sometimes to make yourself better, then that’s okay.” The young colt said, hugging his father tightly.

“Thank you Hunter.” Riot hugged the colt tightly. “I’m so proud of the stallion you’re becoming.” He straightened up, looking down at the colt. “Now, do you think any of the stores are open? And if so, would my little stallion want to go and get some hot chocolate?”

Hunter looked back into the house. “I dunno dad.....If mom wakes up and I’m not here you’ll get into trouble again....” The young stallion frowned.

Riot sighed, nodding solemnly. “I understand champ...And I bet she wasn’t too happy with you either.” Riot straightened up, then tousled the colts mane. “Have an awesome Hearths Warming Hunter. I love you with all my heart.”

The colt sat, and nodded slowly. “You too, dad.” He gave his father one more nuzzle, then went to close the door. Riot held up a hoof, stopping his son.

“Hunter...Could you go get your mother for me?”

I’m sooooo going to regret this....

Hunter nodded, a look of trepidation on his face. “Sure dad, I’ll see if I can get her up.” The colt quickly trotted away, deeper into the dark house. Riot could hear a quick conversation from the upstairs window, then a flustered sigh.

A pair of deep grey hooves came into view, then the rest of the mare appeared as Aurora fluttered down from the top of the stairs. She stopped at the bottom, looking at Riot as he stood in Cheerilees doorway. He waved weakly.

Aurora sighed; closing her eyes before trotting to the door. She opened them, looking up at him. “Good morning Ash.”

Riot managed an easy smile; he had forgotten how beautiful she was in the morning. “Happy Hearths Warming Aurora.”

She let out a breath, then forced out a holiday smile. “Happy Hearths Warming. What do you want?”

His smile died instantly. It was obvious she didn’t want to even see him. “I...I just wanted to say hello. See how you were doing.”

Aurora nodded, her hoof rubbing a rut into the bridge of her nose. “And? Is that all?”

Riots hopes and thoughts deflated faster than a flaming airship. “N-...Yeah. Yeah that’s it. I was hoping maybe we could talk, or sit down, or something. But I can see that you’re tired....” He let out a breath. “I’ll get out of your mane.”

Aurora sighed sadly, then put a hoof on Riots shoulder as he turned to leave. “Ash, look… I’m sorry it had to end this way.” She rolled her hoof for a moment. “ I had to sell the house because you were in the hospital, and we were having problems with money.” She looked away, letting her hoof drop.

Riot nodded; staring at the snow around his hooves and the interior of the home. “I understand Aurora. I...I may have to go out of town in a bit. Could you look after Hunter while I’m gone?”

Nodding quickly, Aurora moved to close the door. “I’m going to visit my parents, I’ll just take Hunter with me.” The door clicked closed in front of him. Not a single question as to when he was leaving or why. Just a closed door. Riot grunted in indignation, turning away from the building.

He trotted through the snow filled streets of Ponyville, barely hearing the sounds of joy and revelry coming from inside other ponies homes. Riot hugged his jacket for warmth. As he walked through the streets towards the motel, he noticed one stores ‘open’ sign being lit up. He cocked his head, looking at the flowery sign above the window.

“You are just full of shitty ideas today. Seriously. You’ve been topping the charts today.” Shiv smirked at him.

If only to spite the other stallion, Riot trotted towards the door, a couple jingling bits reminding him he was still worth something.

The door swung open, and was swiftly followed by the sound of a jingling bell. Riot glanced about the flower shop as he trotted in, looking for something he could afford.

Flowers.

Flowers everywhere.

They hung from the ceiling, the walls, and the counters. They sprung from every point in the store; to the point that he couldn’t figure out where the clerk was, even after she said ‘be there in a second’.

Riot somehow managed to find the counter, then proceeded to wait. After a few moments a mare walked out, bits of stem caught in her mane. She smiled at Riot, then cleared her throat. “Hello, and welcome to ‘The Flower Sisters Shoppe'!’” She smiled happily, despite working a holiday.

He managed a weak smile as he looked about. “Hi. I’m uh...looking for something I can afford.” He levitated out the meagre bag of bits as he looked about. He finally sighed in defeat, then looked back at the mare. “I’m trying to find something nice for somepony I pissed off...”

The mare behind the counter gave him a small smile. “O-oh… How bad is it? Is it a pregnancy? Another mare? Another Stallion?”

Riot blinked at the sudden onslaught of questions, barely being able to understand where she was coming from. “Well uh… I may have made an idiot out of myself during her hearths warming party.” Riot pursed his lips for a moment. “I feel really bad about what I did, and I want to make it up to her.”

The flower mare sighed in an even happier tone, which put Riot on edge. “That’s so romantic! She must really be somepony special for you to go so far out of your way!” She snuggled herself with a hug, then looked back at the wall. “May I suggest the fire lilies? They’ll keep her heart warm, even when you aren’t there!”

Ignoring her words of romance, Riot started digging through the bag of bits. “Sounds good. How much do I owe you?”

“Five bits!” Came floating out from the back of the store. Riot looked up, and the flower mare had disappeared.

“For the bouquet? That’s not that bad-”

“Five a flower hun!”

Riot cringed a bit, looking down at his coin bag. “Shit. I’ll just get one then.” He mentally cursed himself for not grabbing more bits from his emergency stash, and for not getting Hunter something tangible for Hearths Warming.

The mare trotted out, a beautifully wrapped flower clutched loosely in her mouth to avoid damage. She placed it in a pretty little box, then passed the package to Riot. “Here you go, five bits please.”

He slid over the money, then took his purchase. “Thanks...Happy Hearths Warming.”

She watched him trot through the door, her eyes following his flanks. “Have a nice day sir.”

Once Riot was back out on the streets, he focused on reaching Vinyl without any problems. The tightly wrapped box swayed in his magic as it floated next to him. The streets were still practically empty, and the revelry was gearing up to become the drunken sort. He sighed as his combat boots crunched through the snow.

The smell of an oil fire drifted into his nostrils, but Riot shook it away. It was easy to forget the snow was just snow, and the it wasn’t mixed up with ash and death. Riot shivered, not from the cold, but from the sinking feeling in his chest.

Vinyls little home came into view, and Riot slowed his pace as he thought his course of action through. He stood a few doors down, his eyes straying between the flower box and the door.



He started wondering and thinking as his hooves sank through the snow. Riot didn’t notice the few ponies who had come outside, despite the fact a few noticed him.

“Riot!”

Lost in his own thoughts, Riot didn’t notice the voice

“Riot!” His head went up; was someone calling him? A hoof slapped his shoulder, jarring him out of his fog. Berry stood next to him, looking slightly miffed. “Riot, I swear to Celestia! I was calling your name and chasing you for the better part of the block!”

Riot blinked, looking the huffing mare over. His mind was blank, failing to pull all but the simplest of responses out. All but one. “Hows the liver?”

Berry huffed angrily, pushing Riot into his motel room. “Of all the things you could be saying for yourself, you choose that!?” She sighed, shaking her head. “It’s fine.”

The stallion nodded, shifting his weight to take the load off his front hooves. “So…”

“You shouldn’t be here.”

Riots ears folded down as she confirmed what Shiv had been repeating in his ear during the walk here.

Berry sighed sadly, trotting up next to him. “After you… Left. Vinyl just broke down. She’s locked herself in her room since, and hasn’t come out.” Berry rubbed the bridge of her nose.

He looked down at his hooves as the image struck him. “Did anypony get hurt? I wasn’t really there.”

The mulberry mare shook her head. “No. It was all over when the cops showed up.” Berry threw her hooves up in the air in defeat. “I don’t know anymore. Vinyls retreated into her room, Kepler and Wild were fighting like crazy because of what you said, and I’ve got a destroyed home I need to clean.”

Riot nodded, taking in the story. “Well, for what it’s worth I’m sorry I put you all through that. I…” Riot thought for a moment. “I have to go through a psychological evaluation and social reconditioning. Apparently some bigwig doctor’s gonna be heading it up.” He sighed. “If I fight it at any step, I’m off to a eight by eight prison cell for fifteen years.”

Berry stared at him in shock for a moment before shaking her head. “You know, I’m not even surprised.” She glanced at the box he held in his magic. “What’s that?”

He paused for a moment before answering. “It’s a gift for Vinyl. An apology, if she’d have it.”

The bartender blinked, then looked down at the box. “Are you-”

“Do you think she’d let me?” Riot asked honestly.

Berry seemed to think for a moment. “...Maybe. You could give it a shot at least. She deserves that much.”

They both stood there for a moment, either lost in the implications, or trying to avoid them entirely. Just as Berry started to trot away, Riot followed. She gave him a supportive smile as they approached the house.

The door swung wide open revealing the aftermath of the home invasion. All the furniture had all either been destroyed or moved to the side. A massive divet marked one wall with its lack of drywall and another marked a faint blood stain. Riot closed his eyes for a moment, before continuing. Berry led him up to Vinyls door, then backed up.

“Good luck.”

Riot sucked in a breath before knocking.

Several seconds passed before he went to knock again; the door creaked open at his touch. Riot paused, and looked over his shoulder. Berry was gone, and he was starting to worry.

“Uh… Hello?” Riot stuck his head in through the door. Vinyls room was dark, darker than it should have been midday. Riot took a tentative step inside. “Vinyl?”

CRACK!

Riot let out a muffled howl of pain as something slammed into his nose; sending him back a few paces as he clutched at his now bleeding muzzle. “HWAT THA FACK!?!?” He sputtered out past his now broken nose.

Vinyl stepped out of the darkness, a small speaker clutched in her magic. “YOU PIECE OF SHIT!” Vinyl brought the speaker down again, and the stallion let out a pained cry as he continued to back-pedal. “GET OUT!” She swung at him again, but missed.

Dropping the nicely wrapped box, Riot cut his losses and followed her instruction. Stumbling past a faintly surprised Berry; Riot was out the door in a second.
______________________________________________________________________________

After the trainwreck at Vinyls, Riot stumbled back to the motel, bleeding heavily and more than a little pissed off. He fumbled with his keys, before pressing open the door.

Trotting in, Riot shed his bloodied coat and shirt; slowly making his way to the bathroom. Once there, he took one look in the mirror and swore loudly.

“Tha’ fuckin… BITCH.” He pressed a hoof against his nose and pushed. It gave way with a sharp ‘crack’ and a spurt of blood. Riot spat into the sink and cracked the taps. After a couple splashes of water, he looked up. The entire front of his muzzle was coated in blood which stained his fur and beard. Quite a bit of it had stained his chest too. Riot growled angrily as he drove a hoof into the mirror.

The phone in his room started with a ring, drawing his ire. The stallion treaded forward hotly, fully intent on releasing his frustrations on the caller. He stopped before answering.

“Yeah. I’m here.” He snapped quickly.

The pony on the other end breathed into the receiver. A deep, yet undeniably intelligent stallion started to speak. “Is this the residence of one, Captain Iron Venture?”

Riot squeezed his eyes shut. “Yeah. That’s me. It’s not a residence, it’s a fuckin motel. And don’t call me captain.”

The caller let out a light chuckle. “I always refer to ponies in uniform by their rank. No matter what their status is.” Riot rolled his eyes. “Regardless, I’m Dr. Stuart. I’m heading a newly created team of scientists and doctors here in Canterlot.”

Riot laid back entirely his body giving out as he hit the bed. “Good for you. I’m afraid I don’t have any scout badges to hoof out at the moment though.”

Dr. Stuart grunted, taking a drink over the phone. “My team has been ordered by the princess to help with the rehabilitation and recovery of our ponies in uniform. I have been asked directly by Princess Celestia herself, to take your case.”

The realization hit Riot. He was going back to the hospital. “Oh. Boy. I’m thrilled. I really am Dr. Stuart. I just LOVE hospitals. Especially ones reminding me that I could be nothing but a torso stump and a head.” Riot grimaced, rolling his eyes as he rubbed the bridge of his broken nose.

The doctor only laughed in return. “I’m glad you’ve still got your fighting spirit Captain. Listen up, I deal with mental trauma, not physical. I’m the doctor who just spent four days trying to get a hold of your sorry ass, and I’m the doctor who's going to fix you, whether you like it or not.”

The sudden change in tone took Riot by surprise. He cracked a smile; This might not be so bad. “Alright, Doctor. What do you want and where do I go.”

Riot could practically see the stallions smile from over the phone. “Your cooperation, first off.”

“I’m under court order for that one. Keep the list rolling Doc.”

“Second, I need you to come down to the Royal Lunar Veterans Hospital. There’s only so much I can do over the phone Captain. I can have a chariot sent immediately and have Nurse Redheart advised of the situation.” Riot sat there for a moment, letting the idea sink in fully. The uncomfortable pause caused the doctor to tap the receiver. “Hello? Captain Venture?”

Riot blinked, then scrambled to reassure his grip on the phone. “Yeah, yeah I’m here. Let me call my son and get some things together. Gimme five and send your fly colts.”

The doctor let out a breath. “Of course Captain, I’ll see you soon. The chariot will be instructed to land near the Ponyville library. Do you know where that is?”

He nodded, levitating some things into his duffel bag. “Yeah, I know it.”

“Good!” The line suddenly went dead, leaving Riot to scramble and put his things together.

Three olive drab shirts that read ‘REA’, two unmarked grey ones. Two pairs of camouflaged combats. One pair of beaten combat boots and gaiters. One heavy flight jacket, one REA beret with his rank. He glanced over at the little picture of his unit that sat on his night stand still. Hunters picture was taped over the edge, so he would always be there. Riot trampled over, grabbing the picture and stuffing it in his coat pocket, and it was quickly followed by his notebook. Riots final item was his wallet. The thing was pretty dilapidated looking, only having around twenty or so bits left. He dropped it into his inside pocket, then zipped up the duffel.

Finding all his worldly possessions stowed away, Riot picked up the phone again, and started dialling the number that was scribbled down into his notepad by a foal.

One ring.

Two rings.

Come on Hunter....

Three rings.

“Hello?”

Riot let his breath out; a small smile breaking out on his lips. “Hey Hunter, it’s your dad.”