• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 2,467 Views, 91 Comments

Another Life - Ironwolves21



Years of killing; a hundred broken bodies, friend and foe, all leading to this point in time. The singular moment where every life Riot has ended comes back to haunt him. The moment when he stops being a soldier, and starts being a pony again.

  • ...
5
 91
 2,467

Chapter 0

“This stuff tastes like shit.”

“Of course it does, you’re lucky to get an A-rat that’s less than ten years old!”

"Mr. Venture. Please pay attention."

“Everypony must do their part to defeat the hippogriff menace! Celestia, when did we fight them?”

“73’.”

"Mr. Venture."

“Shit Cap, didn’t think you were fighting back then. When did you join the army?”

“1972. I was fifteen at the time, lied about my age and forged a signature.”

“Damn Riot, your folks didn’t come after you or nothin?”

“My folks? Feh, I-”

“MR. VENTURE!“

Riot lifted his head up, his eyes growing wide as he fell out of the daydream that had come upon him. The mare in front of him sat back down and adjusted herself. “You drifted off again Venture. Can you tell me what you saw?”

The stallion stared at his hooves for a moment as he thought. He didn’t like the pony behind the desk. She'd made it her life's work to see him behind bars. He didn’t like the place his superiors had dumped him in, like some kind of diseased animal. The whole situation stank, and he didn’t like it.

“I thought about A-rats.”

The mare lifted an eyebrow. “A-rats, Mr. Venture?”

Of course she didn’t know what they were. She was an MP, a lab pony at that. She ate the fresh food. She didn’t have to choke down cold, dry briquettes of pseudo-food. A-rats were always cold. Had to be cold.

“Trench food ma’am.” Riot avoided eye contact with the mare behind the desk. He hated her. He hated this place. He hated that she'd hounded him for years, trying to end his career.

“I see. Now, I brought you here for a reason, but since you decided to drift off while I was speaking, I suppose I’ll have to repeat myself. Again.” The mare slid over a slip of paper. “You got your ‘honourable’ discharge, and a ‘clean’ bill of health.” Doctor Usineighn scowled at the paper, then at the stallion on the other side of the desk. “You’re free to go. You’ll be taken to Firebase Lassoe until further transport can be attained for you.” The Doctor pulled off her glasses and rubbed her eyes with a hoof. Setting her hoof down on the desk, she lowered her voice to a growl. “Listen here Venture, Brass may have cleared your name, but what you've done is monstrous. If I had my way, you’d be held here indefinitely and strung up like the criminal you are.” The mare leaned forward in her chair. “You're a blemish on this fair land, you're everything a soldier shouldn't be. You disgust me.”

As the captain stood from his chair, he shot the doctor a withering look. “You wouldn't know what makes a good soldier if it shot you in the face. Goodbye Doctor Usineighn.”

“Get out of my office.”

The fiery headed stallion smirked at her as he trotted towards the door. “See you in hell.”

The mare snarled to herself when the door closed. "Just you wait, I'll find the evidence I need to put you where you belong." She shook her head sharply. "I need a spot of tea and a massage."