• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 2,467 Views, 91 Comments

Another Life - Ironwolves21



Years of killing; a hundred broken bodies, friend and foe, all leading to this point in time. The singular moment where every life Riot has ended comes back to haunt him. The moment when he stops being a soldier, and starts being a pony again.

  • ...
5
 91
 2,467

Chapter Eighteen

Riots haunches dug into the thin cushion of the bus’ seat, and he was continually reminded by every bump and pothole of how much he despised public transport. The bus was only about half full with ponies returning from Canterlot; families and other such folk rode alongside the scarred stallion.

The smell of unwashed pony pervaded the air, coupled with the stink of an old engine, made the air rank, and nearly burned in his nostrils. At least he didn’t have to sit next to one of the other ponies, especially one with foals. In a way, the trip was almost a walk down memory lane; with all its glory and terror. Every now and then Riot would find himself wishing he was riding in the back of one of his companies armoured personnel carriers.

“Smelled better too.” Riot thought out loud.

The squat thatched roof buildings of ponyville came into view, and the bus slowly came up on the bus stop. There were a few friendly faces waiting there, Wildman, smirk still eternally etched on his face; his twin sister Kepler at his hoof. Most surprisingly, Vinyl was there; looking sheepish. The bus rolled forward, slowly coming to a halt on the dirt road. The driver flicked on the intercom, stating the location. Riot paid him no mind; instead lifting his duffel up and over his back. The doors rattled open, and a few ponies filed off, including Riot.

The stallion’s hooves hit dirt, but before he could look about for his friends, he was hit with a flying hug tackle from Kepler.

When they came to a rest in the dirt, Kepler was sitting atop him, her head cocked to the side. “And then the smile was gone.” She said with a giggle, bopping him on the nose.

Riot looked up at her from his place on the ground as the bus started rolling away. “Well I suppose I should be thankful you didn’t push me under the bus.” He broke out into a smile. “And hello to you too, you crazy lunatic.”

She giggled again, rolling off of him.

“Well, good thing I like crazy.” The red pegasus behind her said, giving the tall unicorn a ruffle of her mane, nearly dislodging the long red feather perched behind her ear. The pegasus gave Riot a smile. “Afternoon, big guy. Back from the land of poshness and tea?”

Riot stood up, stretching his tensed muscles. “For the record, the tea sucked.” Riot clapped Wild on the shoulder. “You been taking good care of my sister right? I don’t have to chase you with a sharp stick?” Riot spoke with a smile. He kept Vinyl in his periphery, hoping she wouldn’t assault him with sharp objects akin to what he was threatening Wild with.

“Of course! Do you take me as a stallion of low repute?” He asked, Kepler leaning in to peck him on the cheek. The red pegasus leans in, looking from side to side with his eyes. “And if I didn’t, there’d be nothing left of me. She’s bigger than I am.”

The stark white mare in Riot’s peripheral vision didn’t move, staying silent, sat a little bit away from the group, apparently not wanting to break up the moment.

Riot smiled again, nodding. “Good to hear.” He looked over at Vinyl, smile still there. “So, hows the club?” Oooooh please don’t pull a gun….

She smiles sheepishly, looking down. “I-it’s fine, Riot. W-we’re making good money now that we’ve got a functional kitchen, and with Kepler keeping the scumfucks out...”

He nodded, taking the information in stride. “Sounds good. Now, does anypony know where 45471 Crestfall Street is?” Riot rolled his shoulders; readjusting the weight on his back.

Vinyl was the only one who raised a hoof. “I-I do, I could give you directions....” She said, shuffling from hoof to hoof. Riot looked over at her, a small hint of ironic humour tugging at the corner of his mouth. He nodded his head in a way to say ‘Lead on.’ She nodded, giving Kepler and Wildman a short wave. “See you guys at work!” Vinyl said, smiling weakly at the slightly-awkward situation. Riot fell in step behind her, his hooves throwing up little tufts of snow that split the cold winter air. The mare was sweating slightly, even without wearing the clothing that Riot was. He suspected it was more being in close proximity to Riot again, than Celestia’s sun beating down on the both of them, despite it being winter.

Riot kept his mouth shut through the walk; a choice that seemed to suit Vinyl perfectly. Mentally Riot rolled a number of situations through his head, weighing each one and its possible consequences over and over, until Vinyl broke his train of thought by stopping in front of him. “We’re uh...Here.” Riot looked up, taking in the small house.

He pursed his lips and nodded. It wasn’t much, but it was his. Riot smiled at Vinyl, nodding his thanks before speaking. “Thanks for that, really had no idea where even the street might have been.”

She nodded, looking up at the stallion’s eyes for the first time. “It’s nice to see you, Riot.” She said with a small smile, giving a little bit of electric blue mane a little puff of air to get it out of her face.

Riot looked away from his new home, to the mare before him. A small smile broke out on his lips. “It was nice to see you too Vinyl….” He shut his mouth for a moment as he pieced together a sentence he could use. “Listen-”

Vinyl perked up, trepidation showing on her muzzle.

The stallion shook his head and slouched. “I’m sorry.”

The mare across from him blinked; turning her body to face him completely. “Come again?”

Riot sighed heavily. “I just wanted to say, I’m sorry. For everything. You were one of the only ponies in this town willing to give me a break, and I made life hell for you.” Riot rubbed the bridge of his nose as Vinyl responded.

“Y-you’re sorry?”

“Yeah.” He nodded.

Vinyl stood there for a moment, before pulling off her trademark glasses. “Riot, Big guy… I don’t know what to say.”

Riot shrugged. “You don’t have to say anything. I’d understand no matter the outcome. I’ve been a gobshite, and I haven’t treated you how I should have.” The mare looked away from him. Riot closed his eyes, awaiting her verdict.

A happy laugh made him open his eyes again in surprise. “Haha-” Vinyl laughed lightly as she shook her head. “-Ha...Wow dude, you’re… You’re something else.” She stared up at him with her vibrant red eyes. “Just when I think I’ve got you figured out, you pull this. You always gotta surprise me!” She laughed again, and Riot couldn’t help but smile a bit.

He kept the small smile on his muzzle as he spoke. “Maybe I can make up for being such an asshole.”

Vinyl laughed before rolling her eyes. “Really? Maybe you should take me on a nice date.”

Riot huffed. “Sure, why not?.”

Vinyl squinted at the large stallion, as if she wasn’t quite sure he was serious. “Like, really really? You’re not messing with me are you?”

The stallion shook his head. “No, I figure I’ve given you a hard enough time. Besides, you’re fun to be around. As hard as that is for me to come to terms with.” Riot shook his head after a moment.

Her smile instantly cranked up to an eleven. “Awesome! How about you come by my place in an hour or two? Give me a chance to freshen up before you inflict this-” she gestures at her slightly disheveled appearance. “-on polite society.”

“Alright, we’ll go scare the Cakes, then go get drinks at the Horseshoe..” Riot smiled down at Vinyl.

The stark white unicorn nodded, flipping her sunglasses up again for a moment before she leaned in, wrapping her hooves around his back.”Drinks? You trying to get me drunk and take advantage of an innocent young mare?” She smiles as she pulls away. “Seriously though, I’m glad there’s no hard feelings, big guy.”

“The stallion rolled his eyes, before wrapping his hooves around the back of her neck, hugging the now surprised mare tightly. “Don’t sweat it Whitey, we’re both far from perfect.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Whitey? I’ve never heard that one before. ‘Hornhead, Sunglasses, Hotflanks, Bitch, Slut, Hey You’. But not Whitey.”

He chuckled lightly, digging out his key. “How ‘bout I call you friend?” He let the statement hang there for a moment.

The mare smiled, letting her shades fall back into place over her eyes. “Sounds good to me, Scars.” She said, giving him a playful swat on the rear with her electric blue tail. “We’ll work on changing it to ‘marefriend’ tonight!”

“Hah! I knew you hadn’t changed!” He pushed the door open with his shoulder. “Now go on, git! Before I get you back.” He gave her a playful grin that most definitely would get him in trouble.

She purred, giving him another swat on the rear, before hopping just out of grabbing range. “Try me, old buck.”

“You know I would, but I think I’ve gotten enough cardio today, if I started chasing your flanks around I’d just die tired..” The smell of carpet cleaner and windex filled the house, stinging his eyes. Riot tossed his Duffel in through the door, but stayed outside. He glanced at the mare behind him, having expected a response by now.

Vinyl smirked at him, before noticing his discomfort, then the smell. “Holy crap man! Did somepony die in there or something?”

Riot frowned as he backed up a bit more. “I think that may be a distinct possibility.”

Vinyl looked at him over her sunglasses for a moment. “This is pretty hardcore dude.” She let out a laugh. “My on and off coltfriend lives in a dead ponies house.”

He nodded, already knowing full well how badly things could go. “Yeah I know, but for the record we never dated, so-Wait, did we date? I’m not sure if any of the stuff we did constitutes...” He slid a hoof down his muzzle. “Fuck I’m bad at this. I’m bad at ponies. Can I get a do-over?”

She giggled again. “Sure, if you really need it, big guy. And no, we haven’t really dated yet, but if it helps, you were the second nicest stallion I’ve even been with.” She gave him a wide smile.

Riot looked at her. “That’s kinda sad.... Figured I’d be higher on the scale than that, but then again...I can be an asshole at times.” He shrugged, not sure as to where to go.

“Higher than number two?” She rolled her eyes. “Somepony thinks highly of themselves.” The unicorn gave him a playful smile. “Wild is a very nice stallion....So accommodating to a mare’s tastes, no matter how.....Fun.” She said with a wink.

“He takes it in the ass, doesn’t he?” The look on Vinyl’s face answered Riot. The stallion, clopped his hoof on the ground. “I fuckin knew it! That little fuckin wanker!” Riot shook his head, then closed the door behind himself. He looked out at the afternoon sun as Vinyl started giggling.

“Wanker....Silly pony.” She said, giving him a boop on the nose. “There’s nothing to be jealous of, big guy....” She nuzzled his neck happily, her horn rubbing the underside of his chin.

“Jealous!? That little sod fucked all the bananas! How the fuck am I supposed to get my potassium in the trenches when somepony’s gone and stuffed all the bananas in their ass!?” Riot started towards the center of town. “I’ma beat that chuckle fuck’s ass when I find his sorry flank.”

The stark white mare let out a cry of laughter, falling down onto her back, rolling about in hysterics on Riot’s doorstep. Through her cackling laughter he managed to catch a few words. “H-he’d p-probably th-thank you!” She said, before more bouts of laughter went through her.

Riots horn started to glow, and Vinyl found herself floating next to Riot as he trotted angrily down the street. He muttered under his breath while Vinyl Laughed. “I’ma beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker...”

She gave herself a little push, flipping herself back over in his telekinetic grip, floating next to his head. “Where’re we headed, big guy?” She asked, cocking her head.

He shrugged. “I dunno, my house smells like chemicals, so I’m gonna wait a bit before subjecting myself to that. I guess It’s up to you.”

Vinyl nodded, still floating about. “How about you make good on that coffee you owe me? Oh, wait. I still need to clean up. Take me to the Horseshoe, faithful steed!”

Riot sputtered at his subjugation as a transit system. ”Right, let’s see if I can worm my way out of this, and not be a dirtbag.”

She mock-swam through the air, doing the backstroke through the summer air. “I don’t think there’s a way out of this one, big guy. You’re gonna end up a dirtbag if you try, probably. I’m calculating about a 21.333 chance of not being a scumbag, repeating of course.” The mare booped his nose again, laughing lightly.

Riot swatted her flank with a hoof as they neared the Horseshoe. “Never tell me the odds!”

She squealed, poking his side with her horn. “Ah! Careful with my beautiful butt!” She said, waving her hooves about.

When the building came in to view, Riot merely snorted. “Which door you want to go through Whitey?” He glanced at the mare, who was floating in his telekinetic field. He entertained the idea of dropping her, but didn’t.

Still upside down, she pointed with a forehoof, chuckling for some reason. “My back door.” Riot nodded, pushing forward and through the door. The club was still dark, with streams of light coming in through cracks in the blackout curtains.

Riot looked at the bar longingly. “Now, what kind of-” A knocking at the metal door behind them interrupted his thinking. Riot glanced over at Vinyl and cocked an eyebrow.

“It might be Kepler and Wild, I’ll get it.” She went to get to her hooves, but found herself not moving, her legs rotating, but her hooves not hitting the floor. Riot set Vinyl down, allowing her to answer the door while he grabbed a bottle of whiskey. He focused on the bottle, his magic pulling the cork off without much of a hassle. The stallion sniffed at it; ignoring the voices he heard behind him. Riot assumed it was Wild and Kepler, like Vinyl had said.

As he went to pour himself a drink, a mare’s voice sent all attempts at peace and a good night hurtling down the drain at warp speed.

“Ashfall?” Riots head snapped to the side, his eyes locked on the dusky face of Aurora. He sputtered out a few syllables, then took a long pull of the bottle, his eyes never leaving the mare. Aurora cringed a bit, hiding behind her mane.

Riot planted the bottle on the bar with a loud ‘clunk’. He wiped his mouth; eyes still wide. “Aurora.” He swallowed again; throat dry. “Hi.”

The mare smiled weakly at him. “H-hi...I...I wanted to talk to you.”

Riot nodded his head, his eyes shooting down to the bottle, then around the club in search of Vinyl. The white mare was nowhere to be found. Understandable, considering this ‘talk’ had a fair chance of going Cherneighbyl. Riot clamped his features down and focused on Aurora. “Yeah. Is Hunter alright?”

Aurora nodded as she placed her hooves on the bar. “I...I need to ask you for a favour. For Hunter.” She swallowed. “Cheer....Cherrilee left me. Kicked me and Hunter out.” Riot smothered a shit eating grin like it was a rented step foal. He rolled his hoof, signalling her to continue. “We’ve been staying at the motel for three days, but... But I got laid off a week ago...We’re out of money...” She sniffed a bit; obviously on the verge of tears.

Riot rubbed the arch of his nose. “You want money?”

She shook her head. “I...I know the government gave you a new house... Could-”

Riot cut her off as he held his hoof up. “Woah, hold on there. You want to move in with me? After...After everything that you’ve done?”

“I wasn’t the only one who fucked up our relationship!” She snapped at him, before withdrawing. “I know you hate me... You have every right to. But please-” She looked up at Riot with pleading eyes; on the brink of tears. “Take Hunter in; I’ll sleep on the street if I have to...” She sniffed loudly. “I-I just want my baby to be safe...”

The mare didn’t look up as Riot ran a coarse hoof down his face; grunting slowly as if in pain. Aurora wiped her eyes with the edge of her hoof, just as Riot started writing something down on a bit of scrap paper. Aurora pulled back in surprise when the paper was placed in front of her, and a spare key was practically tossed at her. “There’s the address and my spare key.” Riot hung his head, staring at the rough graining of the bar.

Aurora grabbed the key and the address and placed them in her small bag. She smiled broadly a Riot, her pretty face still marred by tears; like it had been when he had come home. “Thank you! Thank you so much Ashfall, I’ll make it up to you somehow!” She stood up, looking hesitant for a moment. She then hugged the stallion across the bar as tightly as she could. “Beu’n ne, ne’k se mae’dranach.”

Riot waved her off; not watching as the batpony dashed out the door. He grasped the bottle of whiskey in his hoof and stared at it, just as Vinyl trotted up. The mare blew a lock of vibrant blue mane out of her face before smirking at him in disbelief. “That looked painful.” Riot merely groaned as he took a pull off the bottle. Vinyl giggled, before taking the bottle away from him so she could have a sip. She stopped with the bottle near her lips. “You still owe me a fancy date, and slash or a massage.”

Whiskey was promptly spat up across the bar by Vinyl when Riot cried out in defeat; sounding like the cross of a wounded walrus and small woodland creature. Vinyl braced herself against the bar, laughing at the stallion’s predicament. Said stallion flopped onto the ground; hooves flailing in different directions.

Vinyl wiped her chin; giggles still escaping her every now and then. Riots voice floated up past the bar and into her ears. “Kill me.”

The mare shook her head, and started trotting around the bar. “Later.” She said with a smirk as she sat on his stomach. “Now, about that massage~”
__________________________________________________________________________


Riot stood outside the small Ponyville hospital; staring at the front door as several thoughts floated about his skull. Vinyl had parted ways with him several minutes ago as he explained his legal obligation to check in with the nurse, under the condition he’d come back and actually take her out. The sliding glass doors of the small hospital slid open before him, and the receptionist shot a happy smile in his direction.

“Hello and welcome to Ponyville General; how can I help you?”

Riot sighed heavily before resting a hoof on the desk. “Yeah, is Nurse Redheart in?”

The mare perked up, then shook her head. “No, she took the day off.”

The stallion’s expression dropped even further. Before the receptionist could ask anything else, he raised a hoof. “Thanks for the info.” At that, Riot about faced, and trotted back out into the street. Vinyl was nowhere in sight; probably having found something better to do. Like planning what to do to him next, Riot mused lightly.

Riot sighed once again, and started towards Redhearts small home.
___________________________________________________________________________

Standing at the door, Riot ran a hoof through his mane. Giving his head a shake, the stallion sucked in a breath and knocked.

There was the sound of somepony moving on the other side of the wood, and muffled speech. “Seafoam I can’t believe you’re ear-.” The pearly white earth pony’s smile remained as she opened the door, but it seemed strained. “How can I help you?”

Riot merely shrugged. “Just dropped by to check in with you. Shoot the shit maybe if you’re not busy.”

She nodded rapidly. “I was just waiting for a friend, but I have some time. I’ve been telling her all about you!” She said, smiling widely. “Come on in, I’ll get you some Apple Family cider.”

Riot sat down on her garish couch, and waited quietly for his drink. The desire to just get up and leave crossed his mind several times, and he had to quash it vigorously each time.

She didn’t see his mental battle taking it’s toll on his facial features, she was busy mucking about in the kitchen, saying something about somepony Riot had never met. “-and then she had the audacity to tell me that I was in the wrong! Some ponies.” She said, as Riot’s focus shifted back to the earth pony mare, who was just coming back with a pair of glasses of cool cider. Riot smiled his thanks, taking the glass in his magic. As Redheart sat down next to him, she scrunched her nose ever so slightly. “You smell like alcohol and cleaning supplies.”

Not some of the worst things I’ve ever smelled like… Riot thought sheepishly.

Riot grunted, taking a long drink of the cider. When he was done, the glass was placed on the table. “Had a surprise run in with Aurora while I was visiting with Vinyl... I fell back on an old habit.”

The mare frowned, taking another whiff, before crinkling her nose cutely. “Whiskey? In the middle of the day?” She asks, raising an eyebrow, taking a seat next to him, glass sitting on the coffee table.

“I...May have been an alcoholic before I was dropped on my head from four stories up.” Riot reached for his drink again, but suddenly stopped, seemingly thinking better of it. “I may as well cut to the chase. Those government Docs from Canterlot finally dragged my ass out there. Been there the whole weekend, so that’s why I haven’t checked in.”

The mare smiled. “Good. That means you’re no longer in my care. You fall under Canterlots jurisdiction now. Did your meeting with Aurora go well?”

Riot twitched at a phantom pain. “She’s… Moving into my new home. I’m not taking her back, If that’s what you’re thinking.” Riot slumped backwards, holding a hoof over his nose. “In my mind, I’m only giving Hunter a home. But no matter how much I hate her, I can’t let Aurora live on the street.” He sighed, finding solace in the ceiling.

The mare nodded slowly, lowering her eyebrow. “Okay… At least it’ll be nice to spend time with your son again, right?”

“Yeah, It’ll be nice to tuck him into bed again.” Riot smiled lightly from the memory.

“Well, as long as you don’t have any relapses’ your ex can’t-” Her sentence was cut off by a loud knocking. Redheart pulled away, and trotted to the door, opening it. “Oh! Hello, Seafoam!” She said, smile still on her features.

The pony at the door was a purplish mare, with a pink and purple mane. She threw her hooves around Redheart’s neck. “Hey Reddie!” She said with a laugh, and the pearly mare hugged her back.

“Mr. Venture, this is Seafoam.” Redheart said, gesturing toward the pinkish unicorn. “She used to work as an orderly at the hospital, we happened to meet up during the graveyard shift, we’ve been friends ever since.

Riot nodded quickly, then offered her a hoof. “Names Iron Venture, but everypony calls me Riot.”

The unicorn nodded, meeting his hoof with hers, smiling widely. “Nice to meet you, um...Riot.” She said. She took a look at his jacket, and the small patch on the shoulder. “Wait....” She said, looking at his face, and then back to his jacket. “You…. You’re name is… Venture? Iron?” She asked, eyes going wide.

He cocked an eyebrow, not entirely sure as to what she was getting at. “Yeeees? I think I’m the only one.” Riot shrugged. “What-” The mare tackled him to the ground with a fangirlish ‘squee’, a spray of words leaving her lips, composed of mostly praises and saying that ‘they’ll never believe me’. Riots eyes quickly went between the mare who had tackled him to the ground and Redheart. Riot cleared his throat loudly. “Uh...Hi.”

She sat, perched on his chest, looking down at him with a massive smile. Redheart seemed totally starved for words, standing to the side. “Y-you’re really Captain Venture? Oh my gosh my mum told me all about you!” She said. “You served in three campaigns against the Griffon empire, two against the Diamond Dogs, and you’ve been awarded the bronze star, silver star, the silver cross for bravery, and one of the few non-posthumous awardees of The Lance of Equestria. Not to mention having four purple hearts over a single military career!”

Riot blinked, then nodded. “Yeah, that’s me alright. You forgot the Victorian Cross though.” He smirked a bit before speaking again. “Mind hopping off me for a moment? Some of my ribs aren’t where they should be anymore.”

The mare hopped off of his chest, rapidly apologizing. “S-so sorry, I-I just don’t usually get to meet living legends like yourself....” She says, smiling.

The stallion let out a loud laugh as he pulled himself to his hooves. “Living legend? Really? I doubt that.” He smirked before stepping back. “Were you two planning on going somewhere or?” He looked at Redheart for an answer.

Redheart took a step back. “S-Seafoam, I didn’t know you knew this much about Riot....I told you about him, and you.....Ohhhh, I used ‘Riot’ instead of what you would have recognized....” She realized. “Well, not usually, but we could, if you wanted to.” The pearly mare said, looking to Riot.

The stallion simply shrugged. “I just wanted to know if I was intruding.” He scratched the back of his head with a hoof. “I mean, if you’re alright with me being here.”

The pearly mare simply nodded. “I’ll go get some more cider.” She looked over at Seafoam and motioned towards the couch. “Have a seat you two.”
Riot nodded, taking the lead over to the small couch while Redheart practically skipped out into the kitchen. Seafoam sat down near him, her eyes never leaving him. Riot grasped his glass with a hoof and quickly slugged back the remains of the cider. He heard Seafoam let out a breath.

“What was it like?”

Riot cocked an eyebrow. “What was what like?”

She stared at him in foallike wonder. “Being a hero and killing the enemies of Equestria?” She practically vibrated in her seat as she continued. “I mean, going to war is so romantic! The stallions are all so tough and amazing, their chivalry is unbelievable.” She smiled, awaiting his reply.

Riot stared at her blankly; silently wishing he had his flask. He closed his eyes as images of-

The bayonets sleek edge ripping through the soft underside of the soldiers jaw, the kick of the shotgun as its 00 buckshot cleared everything from the throat up. Shells are still raining down, kicking up mud, blood, and guts. Riots hooves sank into the mud, but he carries on, passing soldiers that are buried deep. He finds footing on a dinged helmet sunk into the mud. He passes a screaming buck, barely past the age of consent.

Riot frowned, keeping his eyes closed. “It was...Horrible.” He sneered at the ground. “Don’t let anypony tell you otherwise; war is a meatgrinder that tears good ponies up and spits out the ones unlucky enough to live.”

It was then that Redheart trotted in with a small tray of fruit slices and a jug of cider. She chimed in merrily, oblivious to the grim tone that had fallen over the room. “I’ve got mango and orange slices, help yourselves. “

The pinkish unicorn forced a smile up at Redheart and grabbed a few slices, as well as a glass of cider. Riot simply held up a hoof as he spoke. “Not hungry.” Redheart frowned a bit, then sat down next to Riot.

Seafoam wasn’t going to be so easily deterred though. “I know war is bad, and that ponies die.” She huffed. “I mean, my dad talked about it all the time! He-”

“He wasn’t stationed on the front lines, was he?” Riot rubbed a stray tuft of fur on his hoof while he spoke. Redheart picked up on his tone, and that the whole conversation needed to be derailed.

Before she had a chance to though, Seafoam spoke. “Well, no. He served in the supply Corp, my mom was in the Air Corp. They did bombing runs over the Jungles of Kai-fong.” She smiled proudly. “She told me about the captain who trekked his whole squad through ten kilometers of dense jungle to pull her out of the wreck of a jet and save her from a Dog ambush.” Seafoam was practically vibrating at this point. “You saved her life! Twice! My Momma met my Pa when She was taken to the base nearby.” The mares smile never faltered. “I never thought I’d get to meet you face to face! You’re the reason I’m alive!”

I want to be angry at her… I want to scream at her for her naivety. But, I can’t. Not after telling me that. Riot cracked an odd smile as he thought back. Riot chuckled lightly. “Glad she got out of there...That was....Shit, that was a long time ago. Lemme think here...” He started muttering several numbers and places.

Seafoam piped up as Riot did some math in his head. “Nineteen years, Nine months!” She giggled happily. “It was my birthday last week.”

“Fuck I’m old…”

A quick shove of the shoulder drew his attention to Redheart, who chastised him with a hoof. “You’re not that old. I think your numbers are a little off. Because you met Aurora on your first real mission, and you said after, she was pregnant with Hunter. If that was so, he’d be as old as Seafoam!” Redheart smirked from her victory. Her smirk quickly disappeared as Riot frowned sadly.

“Never said she was pregnant with Hunter.” He pushed a smile and focused on the food tray. “These look really good Red, you get them in town?”

The mare nodded quickly, happy that the conversation was over. “Yes, once every three weeks or so a trader comes into town with assorted fruits. I got lucky with the mangos.”

Riot managed a weak smile, then grabbed a hoofful of mango slices. “Lucky me, mangos are my favourite.” Redheart simply smiled, her cheek going red from the tension in the air.

Riot was the one who made the first move. Standing up in one smooth motion; he nodded to Redheart. “Alright, I’ll keep you posted if anything serious happens. Until then, I suppose this is goodbye.” Riot glanced over at Seafoam and smiled. “It was nice meeting you Seafoam. I’m glad something good came out of Kai-Fong.”

The mare nodded rapidly. “If you wouldn’t mind, I’m sure my mom would love to thank you herself!”

“I’m sure she would. Anyways, I’m off. See you later Ms. Heart.” Riot trotted towards the door, and slipped outside before things got any worse.
_________________________________________________________________________

A few minutes later, Riot had collapsed onto Vinyls couch, and said mare had sprawled out on top of him. “Hehe, so, how was the Nurse?”

Riot groaned. “I can’t think of an analogue for it. It was that bad.”

Vinyl winced. “Ouch.”

Nodding, Riot rested his head back down. “Been thinking.”

“Oh? Good thoughts?” Vinyl turned her body so she was resting half on Riot. She looked down at him and smiled weakly before breathing out.

The stallion rolled his eyes; resting a hoof behind her head. “I think they’re good thoughts. I think... I think I’m getting better. I know I was only at FoB Canterlot for a few days, but... I think just knowing that I’ve got more than a hoofful of ponies in my corner has helped me calm down a bit.” Vinyl simply smiled at his statement, allowing Riot to continue. “It not me against the world anymore. I can be a better pony. I AM a better pony.

Vinyl smiled lightly as she grabbed his hoof and dragged him upwards. “Come on, let’s get going. You still owe me that date big guy.”

Riot managed a chuckle at her giddiness. “Alright, alright. Suppose I can’t worm my way out of this one.”

Vinyl grinned mischievously, tugging on his hoof again. “Not a chance!”
______________________________________________________________________

The pair trotted across ponyville, drawing more than a few odd looks as they joked about and generally caused a ruckus. The familiar gingerbread bakery house rose up in the distance, marking their destination. Vinyl trotted ahead, shaking her rear as she raced to reach the door first.

Opening the door, she ushered Riot in. “Come on big guy, hurry that flank up!”

“Right, right. Give my old ass a second.” Passing through the door, Riot failed to suppress a surprised yelp as Vinyl gave him a playful smack across the rear.

The commotion from the entrance drew out Pinkie Pie, who peeked around the corner with barely withstandable curiosity. At the sight of Vinyl and Riot, she bolted out and bear hugged the already surprised stallion. “MR.RIOT!” She squealed happily before belting off a machinegun sentence.

“I’msohappyyoucamebacktoponyvilleIdidn’tgettosaygoodbyeandIwassadbecauseTwilightsaidyouweregoingtogetyourheadfixedandIwasscaredforyoubutyou’rebackandnowI’mhappyagain!”

Riot blinked as his brain strained to process the onslaught of information. Having suffered a catastrophic failure across the board, his back-up process’ went with a stock response as he blinked unevenly. “Hey Pinkie, how are you?”

Vinyl stared at the party pony for a few moments. “Pinkie, are you on coffee again?”

The nuclear powered mare beamed with energy. “Four days without sleep, I’m going for the Guineighs World Record!”

In Vinyl’s peripheral, she could see Riot shudder and mumbles something akin to ‘Celestia have mercy.’

Vinyl glanced over at Riot. “I’m pretty sure Celestia has abandoned this place entirely…..” She murmured.

With an audible ‘pop’, Riot snapped back into reality. He smiled softly down at the pink pony, who was currently jackhammering up and down as she belted off her plan to stay awake for another 96 hours. The stallion pressed his hoof against the top of her head, and let it sit there. Within moments, the mare stopped, her ears flicking back and forth as her eyes fluttered.

“W-...” Pinkie blinked again, before coming too. She smiled sheepishly. “Heh… Sorry, can I get you ponies something?”

Riot nodded. “Yeah, I’ll take a coffee and… Oh I don’t know, surprise me with a pastry. Vinyl?” He looked over at the white mare, who was still staring at him as if he had grown a second head and started chanting to pagan gods.

“Uh…..a bagel, with cream cheese...and an orange juice.” she peered closely at Pinkie. “Maybe a side of sleep for you…..you kind of look like you might keel over at any moment.”

Pinkie nodded slowly, before stumbling off into the kitchen. Riot shook his head, and raised a hoof towards one of the many empty booths. “After you.” He smiled happily at Vinyl.

Vinyl stared after the pink pony as she staggered off, brow furrowed in concern. “She must have been dropped as a child…...still, gotta love a pony that can party like her!” she turned and headed toward the nearest empty booth, swaying her hips to a tune only she could hear. She slid into the booth and began tapping a beat on the table.

Riot slid into the seat opposite and made himself comfortable as he listened to Vinyl’s hooves tap away at the table. After a few minutes, Mr. Cake came out with the order. He cocked an eyebrow at the pair, but otherwise kept quiet. “Alright Mr. Venture, Vinyl. Here’s your food and drinks.” He smirked a little at his own thoughts, but kept them to himself. “Just pay at the till when you’re ready.”

Nodding to the stallion, Riot readied his coffee. Once the gangly stallion had left, Riot leaned over the table at Vinyl. “I think he was judging us.”

Vinyl gasped in mock terror. “Whatever shall we do!? Our social life shall be doomed if he has indeed passed judgement upon us!” She declared melodramatically.

Riot chuckled as he finished stirring his coffee. “Me’thinks it doesn’t matter either way.” He sipped at his drink, before pulling back and giving the cup an odd look. “Mother fuck. That’s goddamn good coffee.”

Vinyl smirked at Riot. “It’s the cocaine, makes everything taste better.” She chuckles at the big stallion. “So, does him judging us not matter because we don’t care? Or because neither of us have much of a social life outside of the Horseshoe?”

Having lifted up his hoof to argue, Riot let it drift back down. “I have a social life…” He pouted for a moment before smirking. “I think it doesn’t matter either way. As long as we’re happy, who gives a shit?”

Vinyl shrugged. “As long as I’ve got my club, and a few good friends to tip a bottle with, I’m set.”

Riot lifted his cup and smiled. “Hooah.”
__________________________________________________________________________

The sky had grown dark after a brilliant display of vibrant oranges and reds as Celestia laid her sun to rest. Lunas moon crested soon after, settling Equestria into its calm night. Riot nudged open the now unlocked door to Vinyls home. Trotting in quietly, he waited as Vinyl came in behind him.

Vinyl strutted in behind Riot, humming to herself and doing a little impromptu dance as she passed him. She stopped and looked over her shoulder at the grey stallion, a broad smile on her face. “Huh...we totally just went on a normal date…..like normal ponies…and nothing exploded!” She pumped her hoof in the air and launched into another little improvised dance routine.

Riot couldn’t help but laugh out loud at her antics. “Expecting a different outcome?”

She tapped her chin with a hoof for a moment. “Honestly, yes” She grinned at the large unicorn.

Plopping down on her couch unceremoniously. The stallion grunted as he stretched; his limbs popping and snapping with their accompanying squeak of enjoyment.
Vinyl winced at the sounds issuing from Riot’s joints. “Well that sounds healthy….” A devilish grin spread across her face slowly as she stared at the stallion spread out on her couch.

Riot waved a chipped hoof. “Picture ‘o health.” He shuffled, finally finding a comfortable spot. Looking up, he saw her devilish look. “Whyyyy do I feel worried?”

Vinyl’s grin only widened, pure mischief dancing in her eyes. “Geronimo!” She screamed as she charged the couch, jumping the last several feet with her hooves outstretched.

The outstretched stallion barely had a moment to react as the mare flew towards him. He could have rolled, tucked, braced, or gone limp. He didn’t do any of those things. The best he managed was a stilted squawk that turned into a pained wheeze as the mare landed on him.

Said mare laughed maniacally as she “pinned” the stallion to the couch, a wide, happy grin still spread across her face. “Gotcha.” She said softly, booping the big stallion on the nose.

After letting out a pained wheeze, Riot started to smile softly back at her. A tiny glint in his eyes betrayed his intentions.

Vinyl playfully batted at Riot’s ear, still grinning like an idiot. “I think there’s some naughty thoughts bouncing around in that head of yours……” She leaned down, putting her muzzle a mere inch from Riot’s nose. “And I’d really like to find out what they are.”

“Really now?” Riot peered a bit closer, his hooves running down her sides. He still smiling up at the mare who was practically pressing against him.

“Yeah, really.” She darted forward and kissed the stallion on the nose. The simple peck drew a wider smile from the stallion; his hooves snaking around her back and up to her neck. Pulling the mare in as gently as possible; Riot’s muzzle pressed against hers and their eyes met.

Vinyl’s body melted against Riot’s as she returned the kiss, her hooves coming around and pulling his face toward hers. Vinyl broke the kiss, cocking her head to the side. “Funny, I don’t hear any perverse thoughts yet…..” She ran her hooves along the sides of his face, tracing the various scars she found there, smiling softly at the grey stallion.

“Give it time.” He readjusted, and gave her flank a well meaning swat.

Vinyl’s eyes widen as his hoof makes contact with her ample derriere. “Ooookay, apparently I will be shown these perverse thoughts.” she wiggles her lower half against Riot. “So what else you got tiger?”

“You’ve got no idea darlin~”

______________________________________________________________________________
Vinyl groaned slightly as she removed herself from Riot. She winced as her body protested. She felt good, but it had most definitely come at a price. Looking down at the sleeping stallion on her couch, she was struck with an odd realisation. For the first time since meeting Riot, he seemed at peace. She looked up at the clock on the wall and saw the time. Cursing at herself quietly, Vinyl prodded the stallion gently. “Riot, wake up. Shouldn’t you be tucking your son into bed soon?” She reached over and poked the stallion carefully once more, trying to rouse him.

Riot cracked an eye, then a light smile. “Hey Darlin’, something up?”

She pointed at the clock. “The time maybe? Don’t you have somewhere to be right now?”

Looking upwards, Riot scowled. “Balls. I have to go tuck Hunter in.” He groaned in protest as he sat up and rolled onto his hooves. Giving himself a shake; he smiled at Vinyl. “Thanks for having me.” He locked muzzles with her for a brief moment before pulling away. “Would it be alright if I slipped back in when I’m done?”

The mare smiled coyly. “Sure, you can come snuggle up to me in bed.”

Riot nodded, a happy grin overcoming is features. “Sounds like a plan.” He nodded, and started towards the door. “See you soon!”


___________________________________________________________________________

Riot jiggled his key around the lock, and somehow managed to get the sticky lock to turn over. The door cracked open, and he trotted in. The stallion looked to his left, and took solace knowing his duffel hadn’t been disturbed. He kicked off his boots and hung up the flight jacket. Riot took a deep breath, and started into the main room. Aurora looked up from the small couch that sat in the center. A set of familiar combat armour bounded into the living room, skidding to a halt just long enough so the helmet could be cocked back.

“DAD!” Hunter bounded over; armour jingling and clanking as he skidded over the wood flooring. Riot kneeled down, catching the heavily armour colt in his hooves.

“Hey there kiddo, you look like you’re ready for patrol!” Riot edged the helmet upwards with his hoof so he could see Hunters face. The colt was positively beaming.

“I can fit in it now Dad! Your army stuff fits! Kind of...” Aurora chuckled squeakily from her place on the couch; her wings spread for comfort. Hunter hugged Riot tightly before speaking. “Dad, can you teach me how to march like a soldier pony?”

Riot smiled down at the colt, ignoring the mare on the couch for the most part. “Sure, but you need to know how to stand at attention first.”

The colt bounded out of his grip and practically pranced into the center of the living room. “Show me show me show me!” Hunter smiled happily, then added. “Please dad?”

Rolling his eyes and shrugging his shoulder, Riot nodded his head. “Well, since you said please... I guess I can show you.” The resounding cry of joy brought an even larger smile to his face. “Alright kiddo, first off you gotta stand with you hooves together like this.” Riot placed his hooves close together, and watched as Hunter did the same. “Now, suck in your gut, and straighten your back.” He watched as Hunter took a deep breath and tried to do so. Riot chuckled again, this time using his hooves to straighten out the colts posture. “Great. Now, head up a bit, looking straight forward.”


Riot placed his front hooves on the couch, and started sliding it towards the wall, with the now startled Aurora riding on top of it. Riot trotted back to the center with Hunter and continued his lesson. “Now, right hoof up like this- good, good. Now, step like so.”
______________________________________________________________________

The now armourless Hunter was being carried on Riots back to the only bed in the house. Riot nudged open the door of the room and trotted in, Aurora at his heels. Setting the bone tired colt down on the plain bed, Riot kneeled down next to him.

Hunter smiled happily; moving up to nuzzle his father. “Thank you for teaching me, Dad. I love you.”

Letting out a breath, Riot hugged Hunter as tightly as he dared. “I love you too little guy. Time to go to bed though, you need to have a good sleep so you can have a full day tomorrow.”

The colt nodded, his eyes drifting between Riot and Aurora. “Will you be there when I wake up Dad?”

Riot nodded. “Of course. I plan on being there as often as possible.” He stood, letting Aurora finish tucking the colt in. In a short amount of time, after saying ‘good night’ and ‘I love you’ Riot and Aurora stood outside the colt’s room.

Aurora sighed as she rested her head on the door, as if listening to what was on the other side. “Thank you Ash. I don’t know what I would have done without your help.”

He merely shrugged. “It was nothing. You needed a home and-”

The mare lifted off the door and shook her head. “No, it wasn’t nothing. There was a point where...If it was you, I would have said no.” She wiped her eyes, which were red and glossy. “I’m sorry for what I did. I-I know...I know I hurt you, and Hunter. I’m so, so sorry.”

Riot rubbed the bridge of his nose. Inside his head, he wondered what to say. It all came down to a simple sentence. “It’s alright. I forgive you.”

As he trotted away, Aurora rested her head on the door again. “I know....Thank you.”

Trotting through the hall and back to his duffel, Riot grabbed what he needed from the olive drab bag and stuffed said items in his flight jacket. He made a mental note to be back by six at the latest. Without a word to the wise, he slipped out the door and back towards Vinyls.

After a few minutes, he arrived at his destination. Spending a scant minute at her door, Riot fished the spare key out from under the fake rock by her front door.

Entering the dark house, Riot made sure to lock the door behind himself. Stealthily working towards the small staircase, Riot ascended towards Vinyls room. He entered as quietly as possible, seeing her lithe form resting on the small bed. Pulling off what he had on, Riot climbed in behind the mare, who cooed at his arrival. Riot wrapped his hooves around Vinyl, just as she snuggled into his chest.

“G’night Vinyl.”

“Night Riot…”