• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 8,015 Views, 362 Comments

Marcus 657 - John 117



Marcus 657 has always been different from his other Spartan brother and sisters. But how different c

  • ...
46
 362
 8,015

Chapter 6- Found

As the group of ponies headed out for the Everfree, Fluttershy couldn't help but worry over what could be lurking in the forest. It was getting dark, but Princess Celestia had said that they needed to begin their search without delay. They had made a plan before setting out. Basically, Rainbow Dash would fly over the forest looking for anything unnatural. While Rainbow did reconnaissance, the rest of the group would walk, fanned out into orderly patrols. Fluttershy was scared, and not just of the forest, although that scared her too. It was this...human. She had never encountered something like it; something so big and, well, scary. And those eyes.....so full of confusion, hate, sadness, and something else, something Fluttershy couldn't quite place, yet it brought tears to her eyes. She gave a whimper. Fluttershy was shaken from her thoughts by Twilight, literally. The unicorn had walked into the pegasus when the latter scared herself stiff.

“Come on, Fluttershy,” groaned Twilight Sparkle. “We don’t have time for this now.”

"S-sorry, I'm j-just a little scared, Twilight," the pegasus explained.
Twilight looked at her quizzically. "Of the Everfree? You've been in here lots of times, Fluttershy."

"Well, yes, I know that, and yes I am a little scared of that, but what really if scaring me is this...human. What if it’s like what the books say? E-Evil and all...”

Twilight preempted her from going further. "I hope not Fluttershy, for its sake and ours. I’m nervous, too" Twilight admitted. Suddenly, a guttural sound came from behind them, causing Fluttershy to jump!
Luna had cleared her throat. They all shut up. As Fluttershy wandered through the forest looking for the human, she accidentally strayed from the path, wandering away into the forest. She would have noticed had her mind not been so preoccupied with the human. It wasn’t just a creature; it could talk- in their language, no less. Never mind the sheer improbability of that; he, for Fluttershy was somehow certain it was male, had asked what she was. Had he never seen a pony before? Weren't there ponies everywhere? Wanting to ask Twilight about it, she looked around for her friend, only to find trees and vines surrounding her. She let out a high pitched squeak.

"Oh, oh dear no..." Fluttershy whispered. The pegasus stood petrified in place. She looked around her for her friends, and even looked towards the canopy of trees for Rainbow Dash, but saw nopony around. Terrified of being alone in the terrible, dark, forest, Fluttershy screamed and bolted. She ran for her life, even though she didn’t know where she was going. Just one thought went through her head: anywhere was better than where she was now. Fluttershy charged through trees and vines, through muck and bogs, trying to find a way out, a safe place to hide until either morning came or her friends found her. She ran and ran and ran. The pegasus lost track of time and of space. She stopped when she suddenly tripped over something shiny, metallic and green. Wait! It was moving! She screamed.

Marcus was jolted awake by the sudden impact of something hitting him. He had almost fallen asleep again for the third time that night. He jumped up, assault rifle still in hand. The night was quiet- almost too quiet, as the old saying went. The Spartan scoured his surroundings, only to have his eyes rest on what could only be described as a small.....horse? What the hell? Am I dreaming? No- he couldn’t be. He looked at it, his military conditioning to fire temporarily overwhelmed by his curiosity. The animal had a pink mane and a light yellow body. It had wings on its back. Wait...wings? What the hell is this? Marcus smacked himself upside the head. Oww! He followed the lines of its body and found its head. It looked almost cartoonish- too cute to be real. And then he looked into its large blue eyes. He saw something he hated, a fear that he had seen in almost every human he had ever encountered. A fear of the unknown, the fear of him and what he was and could do to. A mad thought occurred to him. Things could be different this time. He placed his assault rifle on the ground and extended an armored palm.

Marcus tried his most soothing voice. "It’s all right, see? No gun. I'm not going to hurt you, ok?" Seeing no change in its stance or look, he took off his helmet against his better judgment, sensing no threat from this small creature. "It’s alright, see? I'm a friend!" He sat down holding out his hands. It didn't move, although Marcus noticed it relaxing a bit. It still looked ready to bolt.

It spoke, though it was so quiet as to be inaudible except in absolute silence. "Y-your n-no going t-to kill m-me?" She asked him, or at least he thought it was female from the pitch of its voice. Marcus looked at it, not quite sure of himself.

"No, why would I do that?" He lied, knowing full well what he could, would, and might do to her without flinching.
She just stared at him, seemingly unconvinced. "I promise you, I will not harm you, nor will any harm come to you.
Not while I can do anything about it." It was her turn to look confused, and she began to relax a bit, although she was still timid around him. He noticed her shiver.

"Could you some closer so I can see you?” She did so, reluctantly though. She sat as far from him as possible, but close enough so that he could get a good look at her.

"What’s your name? I'm Marcus," he inquired.

She answered with that same peculiar yet undeniably cute squeak. "M-my name is F-Fluttershy," she whispered.

Fluttershy? Weird name... He looked at her, her gaze dropping to the ground. "Fluttershy, I'm afraid I'm lost. Can you please tell me where I am, Fluttershy?" Now the pegasus was really confused. Not only were humans real, but they also weren’t that bad either. However, the books forgot to mention that humans were also insane. She scratched her head with her hoof and looked around, as if she were not quite sure which one of them was crazier.

"Well, Equestria of course, w-where else w-would you be?"

Equestria? What is this I don’t even... This is a dream. This must be a dream! Marcus intended to ask her for clarification when a sudden rustling came from the bushes. Quick as a flash, Marcus did several things. Firstly, he grabbed his assault rifle. Secondly, he somersaulted around to face his enemy. Thirdly, Fluttershy panicked. Fourthly, things got complicated a second later.