• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 19,031 Views, 1,032 Comments

The Darkness of Love - The Grimm Reaper



Spike has gone again for three years, but has been found. He refuses to go home, but won't say why.

  • ...
107
 1,032
 19,031

Chapter 9: Matter Over Mind

Rarity stood before one of her many ponnequins, her latest design still incomplete. She stood there, staring at it. Usually, the idea would come entirely, but with this dress, she was making it up as she went along. Her mind tried so hard to focus on the task at hand, but she was constantly being distracted by the events of the past few days. Her heart was aching constantly since she’d been dropped like a rock by the dragon she’d once known. She didn’t love him in return, but appreciated his admiration for her. Or that was what she thought. Now there was something nagging at her. Why was she so upset over him having finished with his crush on her?

The familiar hoof steps of a younger mare approached her.

“Sis?” Sweetie Belle’s voice reached out to her. Rarity tore her gaze away from the incomplete dress and looked upon the beautiful figure that was her now maturing younger sister. She smiled at the younger mare who reached a hoof up to her and wiped a tear from her eye. Rarity was surprised to see the tear as she hadn’t realised she’d been crying.

“Oh dear. How indecent of me. A lady should never cry.” she said, trying to regain a little pride in front of her sister.

“I disagree. Why else would we be able to cry if we aren’t supposed to when we’re sad?” Sweetie belle offered her sister a handkerchief, who in turn took it with great appreciation.

“I suppose you’re right. Thank you.” Rarity said. The younger mare sat down and hummed a little tune to her sister as she grabbed a royal blue cloth roll from the rack and unrolled it with her magic, placing it next to the incomplete design as a suggestion to Rarity. The fashionista blubbered a laugh and nodded.

“Very good. It goes very well with the pale yellow.” she began.

“It reminds me of the beach, blue and yellow.” Sweetie Belle said. Rarity nodded. That was the theme she was going for.

“I don’t think Spike is really gone, Sis.” Sweetie said.

“What makes you think I was crying over that jerk?” Rarity asked. Sweetie belle smiled under her sister’s gaze.

“Well, that question just now makes me think so, because that wasn’t what I was talking about.” Rarity blushed as she’d realised her mistake.

“He’s…not cruel by nature. I think he’s trying to make you all hate him. I don’t know why, but I think I’d do the same thing if I were in his… do dragons wear shoes?” Rarity looked at her sceptically.

There was a knock in the door. Sweetie Belle made her way over to answer it. She took one look at the knocker and smiled.

“Rarity, it’s for you.” she called out.

“Coming!” she replied cheerily. The figure at the door chuckled.

“Subtle.” Sweetie Belle opened the door further to allow him entry. She didn’t notice the second figure until she stepped through.

“Oh, hey Twilight, I didn’t see you there. I though Spike had come on his own.” The two figures smiled and addressed her properly.

“Well I need to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn’t try and finish what she started with the mug.” Spike began. Twilight stuck her tongue out at him cheekily.

“And I need to help him apologise to Rarity because he’s an ass and will undoubtedly stuff it up. Because that’s what he’s hoping to do.” she retorted. The two of them grinned at each other.

“Looks like you two have gotten back together… in a non-romantic way.” Sweetie Belle said. Rarity entered their field of vision and stopped. She took one look at Spike and grew a dark face.

“Twilight, darling. Welcome to the boutique.” she said, ignoring Spike presence.

“Hello, Rarity. I thought it would be a good idea to pay you a visit.” Twilight said. Rarity hurried the unicorn into the lounge, leaving Spike with Sweetie Belle.

“I get the feeling they’re embarrassed of me.” Spike said. Sweetie Belle chuckled and closed the door behind her.

“I like it when she pretends we’re not there. I always manage to best her by playing around with her designs. Then she addresses me and I win.” Spike laughed.

“You’re still as cheeky as ever, I see.” They walked together into the lounge. The eye contact was instant. Spike kept his gaze on the white mare as he grinned, passing by some very nice designs. He was going to take a little revenge for all the times he’d helped her and she discarded him at the end of the day. He found an unused ponnequin and stood behind it, drawing Rarity’s attention.

“Hey Sweetie Belle, look. Scalret Pimpony.” he then proceeded to dry hump the doll. Sweetie Belle burst out laughing as Rarity screamed at the display. Twilight hid her face as a big blush began to form.

“Spike, cut that out right now!” Rarity galloped over to the dragon who in turn, leaped over her and clung to the ceiling, his clawed feet digging into the roof.

“Now I have your attention, I’ll say what I came here to say.” Twilight moved away from beneath Spike, the fear of him losing grip and crashing on top of her frightened her slightly. Rarity looked at the dragon’s feet and growled at him.

“You’ve had plenty of chances to get it good with me. You could have responded positively to my expressions of love for you, you could have denied me from the very beginning. Instead, you dragged me along. You made me believe I had a chance with you, you used me and dropped me back into Twilight’s care at the end of the day. Granted, you rewarded me with gems and the like, but they weren’t what I wanted in the greater scheme of things.” Spike removed one foot from the ceiling, revealing the holes he’d left behind, then then dug into another part of the roof, which made Rarity groan.

“I’ll admit, I was young… er. A baby dragon, I can see how that wouldn’t make for a life partner. But if you simply said that you’d wait for me to grow up, I might have waited for that. You know when you ask somepony something and you get an answer that doesn’t make any sense? It was kind of like that with us. You see, I’m grown up now. But because you didn’t give me any sign that you’d wait for me… well look where we are.” He released his grip on the roof and landed on the ground with his hands. He spread his legs and flung them around in a dual-roundhouse kick before pushing against the ground to land on his feet.

Rarity and the others stared at him with awe.

“I’m stronger, faster, and more powerful than you. Your love for gems could have been requited, what with dragons being natural collectors of such things. But you’ve lost it all because you didn’t say four little words; ‘I’ll wait for you’.” He’d strolled up to Rarity and was now in his face. She was speechless yet again and Twilight was having a hard time getting the image of Spike humping the ponnequin out of her mind. Sweetie Belle had emerged from the kitchen with drinks for everypony.

“I…” Spike shushed her by placing a finger over her lips.

“Hush little filly, don’t say a word… Spikey’s gonna buy you a mocking bird.” he then returned to Twilight’s side, singing the rest of the tune.

“And if that mocking bird don’t sing, well forget the diamond ring.” he said. Twilight cleared her throat.

“How was that for an apology?” the dragon asked.

“Perhaps we should have booked an appointment at the spa.” Twilight replied, looking back at the events that just unfolded. The young dragon chuckled.

“Mud fight.” he called over to Sweetie Belle who giggled in response.

Rarity sucked in air and glared daggers at the dragon.

“And what about now, Spikey? Surely you didn’t come to that realisation all of a sudden? So what changed? What caused you to stop loving me?” she challenged. Spike grinned at her.

“Dunno, maybe it was the lack of green.” he replied. Rarity hated that colour to no end.

“Well I’m sorry if I don’t mix and match poorly, unlike some dragon I know, who has a thing for moustaches.” Spike laughed.

“I’m over those. I’m thinking of growing a goatee now. And I’ll make sure it’s as green as your envy.” he said, leaning over her.

“Who or what could I possibly envy?”

“Oh, come on. I’m sure Scootaloo told you about the white dragoness I was shacking up with who looked like you but didn’t smell like raw fish from the tail down.” Rarity growled at him.

“Oh, that is the rankest cynicism.”

“In which way? Literally or figuratively?” he asked, motioning to her flank as he stated the prior. Rarity frowned at him.

“You’d probably think both, you’re that dense. But let’s move on to you, shall we? You’ve grown tall, sure, but I’m willing to bet you haven’t grown any longer since the day you left.” Sweetie Belle and Twilight watched the fight go either way; neither one ready to get in between it.

“I think Rainbow Dash can attest to quite the opposite.” he retorted. Rarity growled at him.

“So you’ve had a session with the whore of Cloudsdale then, have you? I’m not surprised.”

“Oh yes. We discussed your sex life briefly afterward. It had to be brief because there wasn’t much of a sex life to talk about regarding you. You can try Rarity, you can try so hard to make yourself look pretty for the Stallions, but once they get a load of your dried up old prune of a pussy, it becomes public knowledge that you have the sex appeal of an aardvark.”

Rarity subconsciously sat down on the floor afterward, still eager to face him?

“At least I wasn’t tricked into believing I had a shot with somepony as talented as myself.”

“Oh yes, the fashionista with a superiority complex; whoops, tautology. Face the facts, Rarity. You hide behind your make-up and your designs because you believe that your natural self isn’t worth the life it was given.”

“Spike! Stop now. Keep that up and she’ll be suicidal too.” Twilight gave Spike a bemused look, which he caught instantly. The dragon leaned closer to Rarity, his head beside hers and he whispered into her ear.

“Just remember that I’m done with you.” he stood at his full height and walked to the other two ponies.

“Remember why I’m doing this, Twi.” he said, going past her. He let himself out and closed the door ever so casually. Twilight looked at the now rattled designer.

“Sorry, Rarity. I’d hoped he’d actually apologize for everything he’d said. But it seems as though he’s still in conflict about whether to stay.” Rarity looked at her friend.

“You mean he didn’t mean any of that?” she asked. Twilight shook her head.

“At least… not all of it. He’s trying to make us all hate him so we won’t miss him when he goes again. So far that’s all gone to hell with Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Now I’m beginning to accept him into the group again. I can tell that he won’t try to upset Fluttershy, and Pinkie’s surprisingly evasive, given the situation.” Rarity rose to her hooves and sighed with relief.

“Thank goodness. The things he said to me… I nearly died of a heart attack. The white mare grabbed one of the drinks that Sweetie Belle still had on the tray and guzzled it down. “He planned this out well. I didn’t think he could do something like this. Plan his own social exile before he even returned?” Twilight shuddered at the thought.

“Well I don’t know about you, but I’m determined to keep him here. He’s just trying to protect us.” Rarity nodded.

“I understand, darling. I’ll try my best to ignore today’s poor attempt at an apology.”

Spike remained by the front door, listening to the conversation that ensued afterward. His plan had been thwarted yet again. Being an asshole was starting to become redundant.

“Shit!” he muttered to himself as he strolled back home to the Library.