• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 18,948 Views, 1,032 Comments

The Darkness of Love - The Grimm Reaper



Spike has gone again for three years, but has been found. He refuses to go home, but won't say why.

  • ...
107
 1,032
 18,948

Epilogue: Goodbye For Now

An eerie chill in the morning air woke Twilight from her almost blissful slumber. Despite the circumstances she was at peace, now she’d found and recognised love in its greatest form. Though Spike had engulfed himself in dark magic, he never truly changed who he was, and his love for her was stronger than ever.

She rose from one of the makeshift beds that the ponies had created after they’d all made themselves comfortable with Zecora. It was still night time and Spike was missing from beside her. She took a cursory glance around the room to find the others still sleeping; Rarity with Sweetie Belle, Applejack with Big mac and Applebloom, Rainbow Dash with Gilda and Scootaloo, Fluttershy reunited with Angel Bunny and Pinkie on her own sleeping in a very awkward position.

Twilight felt a little uneasy not having Spike next to her. She quietly hopped off the bed and crept outside of the hut. She didn’t have to look far to see Spike sitting on a fallen tree. He seemed lost in thought. Curiosity got the better of her as Twilight approached the engrossed dragon. She peeked over his shoulder to see he held a strange looking crystal in his hands. She stared at it intently, seeing a mixture of swirling dark colours within.

“It’s…called a Solma. It’s a little dragon magic that they preserved over the course of time. The Dragon King showed me how to use this, before I succumbed to the dark magic.” he held out the crystal to Twilight who gasped at the knowledge she’d been found out. With a reluctant hoof, she accepted it, staring deep into the violet stone which swirled with a strange essence.

“What sort of magic is this? Crystal magic?”

“Partially. The crystal is just a container, what’s inside is the real magic.” he placed his claw on the crystal and it lit up, the darkness inside fading at the mercy of a light glow.

“What’s it do?” she asked. The young dragon sighed and looked up into the sky. His eyes seemed worn and old to Twilight.

“It… holds a part of the soul; my soul. When I took up dark magic, I divided my soul into two parts, one to be tainted as I have been, and the other to preserve the Spike you once knew.” there was silence for a minute as Twilight absorbed Spike’s answer. She held in her hoof, half of Spike’s soul. It vibrated slightly in her grasp.

“But what if your body were to be destroyed by the darkness? How would this half of the soul be of any use to you?” she asked. Spike chuckled.

“Well, it’s supposed to create a new body around it… but there’s a method needed to begin the process, which I don’t know about. That method was lost to even my kind long ago.” Twilight felt the crystal grow heavy in her hoof.

“Why are you telling me this?” there was a moment’s hesitation in him as he looked her in the eyes. It was then Twilight noticed he’d somehow gone blind in one eye. She remained silent as he was about to reveal all to her.

“I…”


Author's Note: Well, that's book one done. Many of you will hate me for leaving so much unexplained, but that's just temporary. You'll have to wait for the next story. I might answer some questions within that. But in the meantime, you must suffer!

So long for now...