• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 12,925 Views, 407 Comments

Miller - totallynotabrony



Human gets turned into pony. Then organized crime gets involved.

  • ...
20
 407
 12,925

Chapter 6

Bend directed me to the cart, which was already filled with some kind of cargo. The items inside were covered with a tarp. “The load is ready to go to Cloudsdale.”

“This early in the morning?” I asked. “Where did this stuff come from?”

“Duster brought some of it by.”

I decided not to ask. I was getting good at that. I even skipped questioning Bend about where Steelie was this morning. He hadn’t said anything, so I figured it either wasn’t a big deal, or I wouldn’t get an answer anyway. I did wonder if that was because he didn’t know, or just wouldn’t say.

“Do we deliver to Cloudsdale a lot?” I asked while slipping into the cart yoke.

“Off and on,” said Bend. “That might pick up now that we’ve got you.”

I felt just a little pride in that. They needed me for something. That wasn’t quite enough to keep me here, though. I would still take the first opportunity I could to get out of Equestria.

I pulled the cart outside and took off for Cloudsdale. Flying by the castle reminded me to find a way to get in touch with Spangles. I had been unsuccessful so far.

On approach to Cloudsdale, I wondered what the term was for entering a floating city. Coming aboard? It wasn’t important enough for me to ask somepony.

I had a little better grasp on street names now, and was able to find my way back to the place where I had previously dropped off the metal blanks. Somepony was waiting there for me.

The stallion peeled back the tarp on the cart. “Guess they must trust you now.”

I shrugged, wondering what he meant. “I’m just that kind of guy.”

The pony grunted and lifted a bag out of the cart. “I’m okay with that. These are easier to carry than those stupid containers.”

So it had actually been hollow steel blanks instead of solid aluminum, like I thought. But why?

I picked up another bag from the cart and followed the stallion into the building. The contents shifted around in my grasp, as if it were a fine powder. There had only been four bags in the cart, so each of us made one more trip.

“Thanks for the help.” The pony set the bag he was holding down and pulled open the drawstrings. He dipped his nose in and sniffed. “Ah, just the same as always. This is another good thing. These are easier to open than the containers.”

As his face came out of the bag, I saw a spot of white powder on the tip of his nose. Such a thing coming from a machine shop could have been a couple of things. Aluminum oxide, or perhaps white pigment for powder coating. Neither of those were healthy to be snorting.

Screw being inconspicuous. I had to ask. “What is that?”

“I can’t pronounce the official name for it, but everypony just calls it smelling salts. Why, what did you think it was?” A little smile had slid across the pony’s face, and his eyes didn’t look like they were quite focused.

“Sorry, I sometimes get it confused with shop products.” I forced a laugh.

“S’all good. Want some?” He offered the bag.

“No, thanks, I have to fly back.”

The stallion waved a hoof as I went out the door. I leaned against the wall of the building, my heart thudding as if I’d just run a race. Oh God, I’m a drug mule. This wasn’t even funny despite the fact that there were actual mules living in Equestria.

This was no time to get distracted about the moral and ethical issues about the creation of sterile creatures because of species crossbreeding. Standing up straight, I pulled the tarp across the top of the cart again and slipped into the yoke.

I tried to calm myself down. I mean, who said “smelling salts” were illegal? Maybe we were only dealing with abuse of common chemicals, rather than illicit narcotics. That still didn’t answer a lot of questions, however. Why was a machine shop involved? How come the white powder was usually transported secretly in hollow containers? Just what did Duster do for a living?

I passed a Cloudsdale police officer as I headed for the edge of town. My instinct told me that being involved with the mysterious white powder would only lead to trouble. If I told somepony, though, I could possibly lose my job, or maybe even my freedom. Being put in jail would be even worse for me because I had no identification.

I couldn’t afford that. As much as I didn’t like the situation, I couldn’t get home from inside a cell. Thoughts like that occupied my mind so fully that my fear of heights didn’t even kick in when I left Cloudsdale.

Back at the shop, I walked through the door and began to unhitch from the cart. Bend came over, looking a little unwell like he had the other day. I now had a little better idea what might be wrong with him.

Steelie was still not present. Emboldened by my recent success with asking about smelling salts, I spoke to Bend about him.

“I figured it was only a matter of time until you brought that up,” he replied. “Why don’t you take the rest of the day off? Duster wanted to talk to you. He’ll be over at the Silver Service restaurant.”

My eyes widened with the unexpected news. “Okay.”

On a scale from one to “getting turned into a pony,” this ranked on the upper half of the surprise scale. Bend noticed my expression. “Don’t worry. He told me that he thinks you have potential.”

Now I was confused more than surprised. I said goodbye and walked out. The street was reasonably busy at midday, and I made my way down the sidewalk towards the restaurant. I had seen it before, but eating there cost more than I wanted to spend. It was a little more upscale than Oven’s.

I went into the restaurant. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the transition between the noon sun and the darkened interior of the building. A waitress approached, and I told her I was looking for Duster. She pointed me to the back.

The stallion had taken his sunglasses off. The gold jewelry he wore glinted in the dim light. He gestured at the chair across from him and I sat down.

“Miller, is it? Good to meet you.”

I nodded politely. “Mr. Duster.”

He seemed a little surprised that I was showing him a bit of courtesy. Anypony who I didn’t know and was possibly a criminal would have gotten the same from me, though. I am not rude, nor do I wish to antagonize lawbreakers.

“Are you hungry?” he asked. “The dandelion stew is good.”

“Uh, sure.”

Duster looked towards the other end of the room and drew the attention of a waitress. I got the impression that he came here a lot, and the staff knew him.

The waitress took my order and after she departed, Duster leaned forward. “I understand that you haven’t been in Canterlot very long. You’re from Baltimare?”

“That’s right.”

“Do you have any family around here?”

“No.” I wondered where he was going with this.

“Anypony who can verify that you name is actually Miller?”

If Bend had told him even a little about me, Duster probably already knew the answer. I told him that no, there wasn’t anypony.

“It’s pretty convenient that you came along when you did,” he said. Something about the way he was handling the conversation seemed familiar, but I couldn’t quite place it. It wasn’t a question, though, so I waited for him to continue.

I looked up as the food arrived. That was fast. Duster stared at his meal for a moment before glancing up. “I’m interested in hiring you for a few things. Bend tells me you’re up to it, but I’d like to make sure.”

It suddenly hit me why the conversation seemed familiar. I had seen it in a crime movie. Duster had specifically asked about my history, trying to find out why there were no records of me. He believed my name was fake. It could have been because I was running from something, or…

Oh God, he thinks I’m an undercover cop.

“So what do you say? I can make it worth your while.”

I hesitated. The lure of money was there, but I had what I needed to at least get by. If he was implying what I thought he was, then I absolutely didn’t want to get involved.

“Sorry, I’m pretty busy as it is, and I don’t really need the bits. Thanks for the offer, though.”

Duster looked contemplative. I wondered if somepony from law enforcement would have taken the offer to try and get deeper into Duster’s activities. Then again, wouldn’t an actual criminal have taken it because he wanted more money? What if Duster realized that I wasn’t either of those? I hoped I wasn’t overthinking things, but could I afford not to consider every possibility?

As we finished eating, Duster put a small bag on the table. The way it clinked, I knew it must contain money. “Here. Maybe this will help change your mind. I’ll talk to you again later.”

“I don’t need this.”

“Just take it.” Duster also paid the bill for lunch.

I left the restaurant feeling very unsure about what to do. I felt like going back to work so I would have something to take my mind off the new developments, but didn’t feel like facing Bend now that I was sure he was collaborating with whatever it was Duster was doing. I still didn’t know what had happened to Steelie, but given that the topic is what brought me to Duster, I had a suspicion that it might not be good.

I decided to use my afternoon off work trying to track down Spangles. Only his contact information at the school was listed on his business card. Equestria did not have phones, and therefore no phone books to find his home address.

With no results, and the local stores getting near closing time, I decided to use the money Duster had given me to buy a few things. I got a couple of blankets, a pillow, and a camp cot. I couldn’t bring myself to buy a bed, even though there were enough bits in the bag. I wondered what I should do with the extra. Maybe pay the hospital bill. Again, I hoped to go home before it was due, but I did owe it.

I went back to my apartment much earlier than the time I usually got off work. The sun was still pretty high in the sky. I put down the blankets so I could open the closet door. As I was placing the folded cot inside, I heard a knocking on the next door over. Octavia’s voice called, “Ms. Scratch?”

The closet was located in an awkward position next to the front door, and I had to close it in order to gain access to the hallway. As I opened the door, I saw Octavia standing near Vinyl’s apartment with an unhappy look on her face.

She saw me looking, and after another glance at the closed door in front of her, began to walk my way. “Hello, Mr. Miller.”

I nodded in greeting. “Octavia.”

“Do you have any idea where I could find her?” she asked, gesturing to Vinyl’s quiet apartment.

“No, sorry. Have you been looking for very long?”

Octavia sighed and nodded. “There’s a bit of an issue.”

I wanted to ask. Like all the other times, I had to hold back. This time it wasn’t about me, though, it was about Vinyl’s privacy. I said, “I hope it gets resolved soon.”

She smiled, although rather grimly. “It will, one way or another.”

I felt like I really needed to talk to Vinyl, although I didn’t know how I would approach the subject of problems with her landlord. I said goodbye to Octavia and closed the door.

A few minutes later I was heating a pot of water. I was almost out of spaghetti, but decided to make it again. There was a knock on the door. I called, “It’s unlocked.”

I heard the latch open and then hooves on the floor. I turned to see Duster stepping in. He glanced around at the spartanly furnished apartment, noticing the blankets that didn’t have an associated bed.

“When you said that you would talk to me again later, I didn’t expect it to be quite so soon,” I commented. I also wondered how he’d found my place.

“I’ve got something to show you,” he said. “Come along.”

“I was just in the middle of making dinner.”

“It won’t take long. Steelie will be there.”

For some reason that reassured me a little, although at the time I didn’t know exactly what he meant by that. I shut off the stove and went with him. It turned out to be a very bad idea.