• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 12,904 Views, 407 Comments

Miller - totallynotabrony



Human gets turned into pony. Then organized crime gets involved.

  • ...
20
 407
 12,904

Chapter 12

Octavia met me at the front door of Oven’s. I had been waiting on her for a few minutes. We went inside and got a table out of the way. The cook gave me a dirty look. Apparently, seeing me last night with Vinyl and this morning with Octavia was suspicious – two mares inside twelve hours.

“Alto was saying some very unkind things about you.” Octavia took a sip of her beverage and put it down, looking at me expectantly.

“Well, I’m sure that almost all of them were exaggerated.”

“I haven’t said what he was accusing you of.”

I nodded. “I have a good idea, though.”

Octavia considered that. “You know, you could have just denied everything, and with your word against Alto’s, I probably would have believed you.”

“Well…yeah, that would have been simpler.”

We were silent for a moment. I cleared my throat. “It’s true that I’ve been accused of bad things. Before I talk about that, though, you should know that I’m an alien.”

Octavia put down her cup, which she had been raising to take another sip. “I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

“Neither do I.” I took a deep breath. “A couple of days before I moved in, I woke up in the hospital, suddenly as a pony. I’m not supposed to be in Equestria, and until I got here I didn’t even know the place existed. I thought unicorns and pegasi were just myths. There was a lot I had to adjust to. When I finally realized that I might be staying here for a while with no way home, I got a job that spiraled into working for organized crime because they think I’m some sort of insane overpowered murderer.”

Octavia stared at me. “I’m not sure I believe this.”

“The part about coming from another planet, or getting involved with criminals?”

Octavia looked like she was searching for something to say. “This is not what I expected at all.”

“Think of how I feel.”

Chastised, she sat back in her chair. She still looked skeptical, but said, “If what you told me is true, then I suppose this must be very hard for you.”

I had spent a lot of my effort trying not to feel sorry for myself. The touch of sympathy in Octavia’s voice was welcome, although I fought it.

“I’m getting by,” I said. “I just wish I had stumbled into more honest employment. I would quit, but it’s pretty clear that they can find me easily.”

“So why aren’t you at work right now?” she asked.

I had a minor panic attack. “Good point. I should probably get going and tell them I overslept.”

I started to get up, but she put her hoof on mine. “Miller…I’m worried. You said you woke up in the hospital. Are you sure you’re okay?”

The thought that I might be crazy had crossed my mind before. I refused to consider that, however, mostly because it would mean admitting that my real life, my home, and Jenna weren’t real. What would I do without the motivation to return to them?

I looked at Octavia’s concerned expression. “I’m okay.”

She let me go, but had a last question. “Just what have you been doing for the group Alto told me about?”

“I haven’t murdered anypony.” Killed unintentionally or in self-defense, perhaps. I managed to suppress a shudder at that thought.

“That doesn’t tell me what you did do,” she pointed out.

I sighed. “Would it be easier if you didn’t know? I don’t want my problems to become your problems.”

Octavia considered that for a moment. “Mr. Miller, I think you have a good heart, but I’m not sure what to do with the rest of you. I think it would be best for all concerned parties if you began looking for a new residence.”

I was surprised, but I couldn’t blame Octavia for wanting to distance herself from any and all ponies the police were interested in. I nodded. “I’ll leave.”

She wouldn’t allow me to pay her café bill in addition to my own. I went out on the street feeling down. Fear, I’d almost gotten bored of in the last few days. The feeling that I might have lost a friend was somehow worse.

I put those thoughts aside and hurried to the shop. Bend did not look particularly displeased that I was late.

“I’m sorry. I overslept and then received an eviction notice.”

“Do you need some time to look for a new place?” he asked.

“Wha-really? I didn’t think…”

Bend shrugged. “You’ve been working hard. Take some time.”

I suppose I had been working pretty hard, both at the shop and elsewhere. The idea that I could take some time off being a criminal was almost hilarious.

Outside the shop I paused, thinking of where I should go first. I shouldn’t have dawdled. Ice descended from the sky and landed beside me. I looked at him, a little surprised that we met again so quickly.

“Ms. Octavia showed up this morning to report her coltfriend for assault,” he said.

Octavia had turned in Alto and then met me at Oven’s. Her earth pony build made her stronger than she looked, like I had observed when she transported her cello. Alto had been carried to the police station on her back, tied with cello string. I had helped with the knots.

Ice went on. “He said you threatened him.”

“It was Octavia who hit him over the head with a cello,” I pointed out.

Ignoring my comment, Ice went on. “He also said a lot more about you. Sounds like he doesn’t like you very much, accusing you of murder and a dozen other things.”

His tone was not conversational, and his stare was as cold as his name. I felt like I was going to be slapped in cuffs if I said one wrong word.

“I think he might have a criminal record,” I said. “Does that affect his credibility?”

“It does. That doesn’t mean he can’t prove what he’s saying, however. We’re working on that now.”

I wasn’t sure if Ice was confident that I would eventually be arrested, or just trying to squeeze me again. I tried a joke. “So should I keep my schedule free?”

“I think you should.” He turned away.

“I have the rest of the day off to look for a new apartment. I’m going to a card game tonight.” I figured that if he wanted to follow me and see how innocent I was, I should make it as easy as possible. Then I remembered who else would be at the card game.

Ice glanced at me and then departed.

I turned towards the apartment building. It was not the most high-class place to live—I thought that Octavia actually seemed too classy to be the owner—but I didn’t really want to move out. Still, I should probably get started on that.

I didn’t own much, and was considering just collecting it all and leaving. I could carry it around with me while apartment hunting. I decided not to, though. Octavia hadn’t said I should be gone immediately, and all that stuff would slow me down if I had to make a quick getaway.

Ugh, what had my life become if I was planning to be attacked?

I stopped by my apartment anyway. I figured I should have some bits for a deposit. When I walked into the hallway, a pale red, almost pink, stallion was tapping on Vinyl’s door.

He kept on knocking as I approached, occasionally calling her name. While I wasn’t for sure that she was home, I didn’t know of anywhere else she might be. I figured the stallion was not somepony she wanted to talk to.

“Hey, I heard you were in the hospital,” said the pony to the closed door, still knocking. I slowed down as I worked the key in my lock, waiting to hear if he would say more.

Vinyl’s door opened. “Raz, what are you doing here?”

“I just came to see if you’re all right. Wouldn’t want somepony I know to die.”

I had gotten my door unlocked and stepped into the apartment but remained just inside the frame, listening. I heard Vinyl’s reply. “I appreciate the concern, but you can’t be here.”

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

You are the reason I almost died.”

Well then, this must be her dealer. It was encouraging that she wasn’t happy to see him, and I knew she was basically out of money to buy anything else, but what if he gave free samples?

“It’s safe if you take it how I tell you,” said Raz. “Here, do you need a demo?”

There was a moment of silence. Worried that Vinyl hadn’t immediately said no, I went out into the hallway, stepping carefully. The threadbare carpet dampened my hooves into silence. By the time I reached a point behind the stallion, Vinyl still hadn’t answered his question. I gave her a pointed look.

With her eyes hidden behind sunglasses, Vinyl gave no indication to Raz that she had seen me. She swallowed hard as I stared at her, and said, “Actually Raz, I want you to leave me alone.”

The stallion’s entire demeanor changed. Even standing behind him, I saw the difference in his body language. “What? What do you mean?”

“I’m not going to buy anything from you again.” I wondered if Vinyl would have said that had I not been standing there. Well, she had asked me to help her.

Raz took a step forward. “Oh yeah? You never seemed to have a problem with me or my product before.”

I suddenly had an idea. If this was her dealer, then he knew me. He’d heard the stories. I pointed at myself and winked to get Vinyl’s attention. I hoped my acting skills were good enough.

Vinyl got the hint. “There’s something you should know. Miller, the guy you told me about? He’s my neighbor.”

“Hi,” I said.

Raz jumped—I mean his hooves literally left the floor. His mane stood on end and he turned around so fast I thought I heard some of his vertebrae crack. He flattened himself against the wall beside the door, trying to put as much distance between the two of us as possible.

It was a good thing I was so surprised, otherwise I don’t think I could have kept a smile of amusement off my face. I looked at Vinyl. “Who’s this?”

“This is Raspberry,” she said. “Raz, this is Miller.”

I tried to stare directly into his eyes, because if I’d been reminded of how ridiculous the rest of him looked, I think I would have lost my serious demeanor. “Raz, I understand that you’re a drug dealer.”

His mouth moved, but no sound came out. I shrugged. “While I would be a hypocrite to criticize you for that, I still don’t like you. Vinyl, can I borrow your apartment and kitchen knife set?”

She made a face. “I only just got the blood from last time cleaned up. Besides, Raz isn’t a really bad pony.”

I swung my gaze back to the frightened stallion. “Tell your friends that Ms. Scratch or any other pony in this building is off limits. I like peace and quiet, and don’t want my neighbors on drugs. After that, go find a new job. Try for something honest, because you sure aren’t any good at crime. Now get out of here.”

Raz sprinted away like he was starting a race. He ran so fast, in fact, that he couldn’t slow in time for the stairs and fell down them. I heard the stallion pick himself up at the bottom and keep going.

Vinyl began giggling, which soon progressed into a full-on guffaw. It was contagious, and soon I was laughing with her. It worried me a little bit that throwing my reputation around was entertaining. I reminded myself to be careful.

“Wow,” said Vinyl. “Just wow. Thanks for that.”

I didn’t know if she meant getting rid of her dealer or letting her in on a good joke. I smiled. “Don’t mention it. Oh, and while I’m here, I said I would give you some music.”

“Yeah…I don’t really have anything to record it with.” She smiled, a little sadly. “Thanks. I appreciate it anyway.”

I nodded. “I suppose that’s all right. The battery in my phone is dead, anyway.”

“Phone?” she asked.

“It’s a multipurpose device usually used for communication, but I have some music on it as well. I showed it to you once.”

Vinyl nodded. “So if the battery is dead, how is it charged?”

“It has a cable that plugs into a wall socket. I don’t know if the Equestrian electrical grid is compatible, but I don’t have the cable anyway.”

“I might be able to work something out,” said Vinyl, her voice giddy. “I repaired and modified a lot of my equipment.”

It wasn’t like she could make the phone any more useless than it already was. I nodded. “It goes through a converter into a USB cable, which if I remember correctly is five volts.”

“Sounds easy! Let’s make this happen!”

Getting swept up with her enthusiasm, the two of us went over to my apartment. I showed her the phone’s tiny power port. Vinyl said it would be difficult to mate wires to such delicate electrodes, but as a unicorn she was much better equipped for the task.

I saw the letter lying where I had dropped it. While Vinyl analyzed the phone, I snatched it up. Unfolding the paper, I was finally able to read it. “What the—?”

Vinyl looked up. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. You’ll have to deal with that thing yourself. I have to go somewhere.”

Unperturbed, she shrugged and carried the phone back over to her place. I read the letter again. It was an address, and nothing more.

I continued to stare at the paper. I turned it over and inspected the envelope. Come to think of it, how did I know this was actually from Spangles?

I frowned. How did I know it wasn’t? Did the School for Gifted Unicorns have official stationery he could have written on? Why didn’t he at least write a little note of encouragement? Sorry for the delay, we’re working on your problem now, human.

I sighed and tucked the paper under my wing. I didn’t want to jump into a situation without knowing anything about it, but I had no better ideas.

It took me a while to find the place. It was an apothecary close to the center of town. Judging by the architecture, it might have been as old as the castle itself. Despite being right in the middle of the bustling central district, the shop did not appear to receive many customers.

It was dim inside, and stuff was everywhere. I would describe the stuff in more detail except I had no idea what any of it was. I only knew it was an apothecary because of a sign out front. Some of the strange items seemed vaguely like herbals or primitive medical materials.

A middle-aged mare was behind the counter. She looked bored, and I wasn’t surprised. The place looked like it hadn’t had a customer in a hundred years. It seemed ancient and quaint, even by Equestrian standards.

“What can I do for you?” she asked.

I placed the letter in front of her. “I hope you can tell me who sent this and why.”

She smiled, although it was more out of polite greeting than pleasure. “You must be Miller.”

“That’s me.”

“I have some questions for you.” She placed what appeared to be a globular little truth-teller on the counter.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“I’d rather talk about you,” she said. “Your letter said that you aren’t from this planet, is that correct?”

“Yes.” The truth-teller confirmed this.

“How did you get here?”

“I don’t know, and I don’t know how to go home.”

The pony considered that for a moment. “What have you been doing since you got here?”

“I work for a machine shop.” The truth-teller glowed yellow.

She noticed. “What’s the rest of the story?”

Okay, so apparently she had an upgraded model of the truth-teller. I sighed. “I didn’t know what I was getting into and the shop turned out to be a front for a drug ring. I haven’t figured out a way to extricate myself yet.”

I was rewarded with a steady white color from the little globe. The mare looked interested. “So what have you tried so far?”

“Uh…they think I’m crazy for various reasons, and I can sort of use that to my advantage. I said that I liked meat. I haven’t figured out how to express my emotions like a normal pony. Also, they think I’ve killed on several occasions.”

“How many have you killed?”

“None.” The truth-teller glowed yellow. I quickly added, “On purpose.”

The mare nodded, seemingly unfazed by my last comment. “What are you going to do next?”

“I don’t really know. Maybe I’ll try to get all the members of organized crime arrested or something.”

“Good luck, then.” She sat back in his chair, bringing the conversation to a close.

I blinked in surprise. “Wait, you haven’t told me what I wanted to know. Who are you? I want to talk to Spangles.”

The pony shrugged and said nothing. After a moment of stunned silence, I turned slowly and exited the shop. I could barely walk I was so confused. What the heck had just happened?

I walked for a little while, trying to figure out my next course of action. What had that strange pony wanted from me? Just to gauge my intentions? Was she connected to Spangles through the school, or had she not recognized his name when I said it?

I walked for a while, unable to make heads or tails of what had had occurred in the little shop. It was getting towards dinner time and I found myself near Oven’s. After eating, I would be heading to the poker game. That gave me something else to think about.

When I was finished with my meal, I asked the waitress to borrow a pen. After thinking over my problem, I decided there was nothing I could do on my own. I needed some help. It might be a silly, and it had the potential to cause even more trouble, but I felt that I had to do something. There was a pony I needed to contact.

After writing a quick note of my own beneath the address on the paper, I crumpled it into a ball and tucked it under my wing. After paying the bill, I headed towards the game.

I found my way back to the Magnifique easily enough. I had been told that we would be playing in a back room of the restaurant. I could have eaten dinner there, but it was more expensive and I really didn’t want to be around its kind of customers any longer than I had to.

The bits I had originally intended for apartment hunting would do well for buy-in. I wasn’t planning to spend them all. In fact, I wanted to show up and say hello so they wouldn’t think I had brushed off the invitation, and then bow out and leave as soon as possible.

I did want to talk to Tally, though, and learn more about him. The idea I had had, maybe I’ll try to get the members of organized crime all arrested or something, still carried some weight in my mind, even if it got less credible the more I thought about it. Heck, if I could get Duster and Tally to fight, maybe they would take each other out. I could only hope.

I paused outside the front door of the restaurant, letting the ball of paper slip out and fall quietly to the ground. If Detective Ice was following me like I hoped, he would find it.

I pushed open the door and headed inside. After asking the hostess about Tally, I was shown to a room behind closed doors.

A couple of griffons, a couple of ponies, and some creature that resembled a large canine were seated around a table. Duster and Tally were present.

I noticed that none of them seemed particularly happy to see me. Not even Tally was as jovial as I remembered. Huh, maybe cards were serious business.

An older pony I hadn’t seen before nodded in my direction. “Buy-in is fifty.”

That was a little steep, but I reasoned that I didn’t have to play for long. I put my money down. The dog—I guess that’s what it was—caught Duster’s eye and said, “So this is Miller?”

Duster nodded. The dog turned to me. “Name’s Muggo.”

I nodded politely. The first cards went out and I swept them up. Not even going to think how that was possible with hooves. I had a four and a seven. More cards went out. My hand didn’t look good.

There was a question—did they call it a poker hand here? My thinking was interrupted by Muggo speaking. “Tell me a little about you, Miller.”

I shrugged and kept my eyes on the cards. “I keep to myself a lot.”

“I heard you kicked a dealer out of your apartment today,” put in Duster.

I nodded. “Got to maintain some standards.” Duster did not reply.

I realized that other players were folding rapidly. I glanced around. One more bet was called for. I was the only one still holding cards.

While I hadn’t intended to win a bluff so easily, I figured it was beginner’s luck and decided to play until I lost enough to break even. The cards were dealt again.

“Miller, I’ve been told that the police are interested in you,” said Tally. “Especially that griffon they found hung the other day.”

“What’s this?” asked Muggo.

“The body they found was part of a group of four griffons that attacked me while I was on the way to Vanhoover the other day. He was the only one that survived—the first attack, anyway.” I was beginning to experiment a little with this dangerous roleplaying. As long as I concentrated on the cards in front of me, I was able to keep the nervousness out of my voice and off my face.

“I didn’t hear about this,” said Duster with concern.

“Your delivery got where it was supposed to be on time, so it didn’t seem important to tell you the details,” I replied.

“If something is out to get you, I’d like to know about it!” Duster threw a look at Tally. “Did you know about any of them?”

The griffon shrugged with a sense of finality. Gradually, we all turned our attention back to the game.

I was only average at playing poker. I looked around a little, trying to read the faces of the other players. Griffons had wide birdlike eyes that didn’t blink much or have eyebrows. Their movements tended to be quick and abrupt, however, and any small tic they made was noticeable.

Pony faces were fairly expressive, and the ears and tails were other sources of body language. Plus, I had had more experience with them.

Muggo seemed to be some variant of a bulldog, and had heavy brows and jowls. A slight change of position in either was noticeable, not to mention his ears.

As the game progressed, I won enough to stay in. It was kind of entertaining to win, even if I really didn’t want to associate with any of the players. I began to mentally compare my own body language to that of other ponies. I didn’t move nearly so much, especially in the ears. As a human, I didn’t have the instinct to do so.

Discovering that I had a natural poker face almost made me smile and ruin it. Carefully, I began to cautiously bet more out of my small amount of winnings. Within only a few hands, it had grown larger.

I kept playing longer than I had intended. When the money I’d planned for my deposit had almost tripled, I decided that was enough. More than enough, actually. “I think I’m done for the night.”

It was a hard decision to make. I was doing well, but reminded myself that I didn’t need the money. I also didn’t need any of them to think less of me than they probably already did. A couple of the players had lost considerable amounts of bits.

“One more hand,” directed Muggo, already setting up for the next deal. He had been the most talkative player the whole night, and I sensed the others might be subservient to him. Did that make him some kind of boss? A dogfather, if you will?

I was about halfway out of my chair when Muggo called for another round, but hesitated. Yeah, okay, I guess one more wouldn’t hurt.

Sitting back down, I picked up my cards. I had had some pretty strong bluffs through the game. When I could help it, I hadn’t been revealing my cards, either. The way I saw it, the more I could add to my air of mystery, the better. Not letting them know whether my final hands were actually good or merely a façade was part of that. Some players enjoyed showing off how they had bluffed. In this game, I was not one of them.

As the cards were passed, Muggo said, “Duster tells me that you eat meat.”

I nodded. “Everypony seems to make a big deal out of that. Honestly, I never thought too much about it.”

He chuckled. “I sure enjoy a good bite now and again.”

I looked up thoughtfully. “I don’t think I’ve ever had dog. Never went to the right restaurant, I suppose. Or rather, the wrong one.”

Muggo’s paws froze for a brief instant as he handled his cards. It was only a slight twitch, but I knew that my comment had rattled him. Good.

He seemed determined not to let it hold him back, though. I saw him glance at my pile of bits. He had one of a similar size. One round of betting went through. Most of the table was still in. Muggo grinned and shoved his money forward. “All in.”

Several players dropped out immediately, unwilling to bet such a figure. I considered it. It was silly, and I was effectively turning one single hand into a double-or-nothing draw. Those are never good odds.

I matched the bet. Muggo and I were the only ones still in the hand. He stared at me over the enormous pile of bits on the table. I returned the look, doing my best to keep any expression off my face. He’d already gone all in, and folding wouldn’t save him any money. I wasn’t going to bluff my way out of this.

“Show me your cards.” Muggo laid his down. He had three eights.

My eyes went wide. It was an obvious giveaway, but every player at the table was looking at my cards, not my face. I put down the cards: a king-high flush. I won.

There were some surprised exclamations from around the table. I managed to keep myself from uttering a few as well. Quietly, I scraped the money off the table and into a pouch that struggled to contain it all. Most bit bags, I had learned, were enchanted to stretch and some (for richer ponies) had more powerful magic to make them bigger on the inside. This was not one of the latter, and I had to carefully tie the bag to keep everything contained. It weighed a lot.

Most of the other players looked sour. Muggo, despite having lost the most, seemed least perturbed. I looked at Duster and Tally. “Think you can find out who might want me out of the picture? Assassins don’t just drop out of the sky for no reason.”

Duster looked worried. Tally appeared more concerned with the results of the game than with my problem. I nodded to all of them sitting around the table and left.

Canterlot was a pretty nice city overall, and I wasn’t expecting to get robbed on the way back to the building. Money in general seemed to be a smaller issue in Equestria anyway.

It was late by the time I got to the apartment. I paused before unlocking my door, and then went one apartment over. Vinyl answered her door.

“I think I have enough here to pay your hospital bill and what you owe Octavia.” I showed her the bulging bag. Truthfully, it was probably a little more than was necessary.

Her eyes went wide. “Where did you get that?”

“A poker game, if you can believe it. Apparently I’m better than I thought.”

She stared at the bag. “I don’t know if I trust myself with this.”

I frowned, not having considered that. “If you’d rather, I can leave it with Octavia.”

“I think that would be best.” She smiled, although I detected some underlying displeasure with herself. “I can’t thank you enough. Oh! I’ve almost got your thing working!”

She pulled me through the door and proudly showed off her work. I squinted at the tiny plug she’d fashioned, its cord connected to a series of resistors, transformers, and other gear that would hopefully convert the normal electric service into something that wouldn’t melt the phone.

“I have just a little more soldering to do,” she said. “It should definitely be finished by morning.”

“Just remember to sleep,” I laughed. “See you then.”

I went down the hall and knocked on Octavia’s door. I explained about the poker game and my plans for the money. “This should cover Vinyl’s late rent. If you would be so kind, I’d like you to use the rest to handle her medical bill for her.”

Octavia nodded in understanding. “I’ll do that. What if there’s anything left after that?”

“Uh…” I suppose take care of my own bill? “I’ll think of something.”

Octavia said good night and closed the door. I walked back down the hallway to my place. After unlocking the door, I stepped inside and fumbled for the light.

Several large somethings knocked me over and began grabbing at my wings and legs. I hit the floor as I began to struggle, and felt an appendage with talons cover my mouth when I attempted to shout. There was a sharp prick on the side of my neck.

Whatever it was I had been injected with took effect almost immediately. Seconds passed, gradually taking away my ability to move or even think very well. I felt my limp body being dragged across the floor and heard the window open. I was lifted and pulled outside. There was the sound of wings and then nothing.

Author's Note:

Pinkawne Pie skipped Christmas just so he could get this edited for you. That's bah humbug on a whole new level.

And aren't we glad.