• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 842 Views, 5 Comments

The Legacy of the Rider III: Misconception - MrAwesome343



The famous Dragon Rider is forced his worst challenge yet: Death for four years...

  • ...
3
 5
 842

Chapter 5: Dual Success

Chapter 5: Dual Success



Taro stood on the top of a tree, hidden from the lights of the street. He was staring right at Twilight's house. He remembered Rainbow Dash's words. "Get in, grab the egg, get out. Try not to let Twilight see you, she might hate you, too."

Taro tied a mask and put up a hood. She already hated humans, but Taro was another story. He dressed in all black for his night raid, aside from the satchel to hold the egg. He bent his knees and lunged onto the roof of the home. His landing was silenced with a small flutter of his wings. He looked over the edge of the roof. A light was on in a window. Taro couldn't see much, but what he did see was Twilight lying in her bed, reading a book.

He stood up and jumped into the corner of the building. He wrapped around it and flew into an open window, landing with a small thump. The room was relatively dark, aside from the light from Twilight's room next door. He was in the hallway. He walked down the hallway silently. The library was the first room. The room was nice and tidy, as usual.

He pillaged through some baskets on the floor. A light flicked on. "What are you doing in my house?" It was Twilight.

Taro stood and turned around. She had a giant book in her magical grasp. "I'm looking for the egg."

"Eggs are usually in the refrigerator."

"The dragon egg. The purple one."

"I don't have it anymore."

Taro entered her mind. "Lies."

She swung the giant book at Taro, who ducked. She swung several more times, Taro dodging every time. "Twilight, I need that egg!"

"You can't have it! It was given to me to look after by an old friend! He may not be a friend any more, but it's still important to me! He's the only one I will ever return it to!" She swung the book again.

It was a long shot. "Twilight, it is me! Taro! The real one!" Taro dodged the book and revealed himself.

She dropped the book and backed up, her mouth agape. "T-taro?"

"Yes, Twilight. The real me, not the changeling me."

"Changeling?"

From there, Taro informed Twilight of his predicament.

"Alright, you can take the egg, but I still don't see why it will help. When are we leaving?"

"You're staying here, Twi."

"What, but I want to go with."

"Sorry Twilight. People and ponies will suspect something is wrong. The only one I'm keeping is Rainbow Dash."

"Alright, you're the smartest here, I guess." Twilight handed the egg over and Taro put it in his satchel.

"Thanks."

Taro exited through another window and wandered into the forest. Rainbow Dash had managed to start a small fire. "Did you get it?"

Taro pulled out the egg. It glistened in the flicker of the fire, sending waves of purple across the small camp.

"Wow, it's beautiful."

"Yes, it is."

Taro put the egg away.

"So, where are we going tomorrow?"

"Well we need to get Jarden, but I don't know where he'll end up when he comes back to life. In fact, I don't even know when he'll come back to life. I guess we can go into one of the human towns and look for a potential Rider."

"We can't, the world already knows and hates you, and I'm a pony. There going to try to murder me."

Taro thought, sifting through his knowledge of the Ancient Language, only to come up short. "I guess we can't bring you, but I have to go. You'll stay here while I search around the town."

"Alright, I guess that will have to work."


Taro walked the street of what used to be Dodge City, his wings concealed inside his tunic. The streets were littered with, well, litter. Humans walked around the open roads, not paying attention to Taro. A shadow hopped along a roof. He looked to find a brown pony, hopping in the direction of an alley. Taro ran toward the dark alley to find a human, walking with his hands in his pockets, not knowing of the pony above him.

The pony jumped down and tackled the man. He pulled out a knife and held it high. Taro immediately thrust his arm forward and shouted "Jierda!" A strand of yellow energy burst forth and slammed into the side of the pony assassin. The knife was released from his hoof and landed half-way between the victim and the pony. The pony quickly scrambled to get the knife back, but Taro lunged at it and swiped it away. He grabbed the knife before the pony and put it to his throat. "You're lucky I'm not accustom to murdering ponies." Taro nodded his head and the pony left.

The frightened victim stood and dusted himself off. "Thanks," he muttered.

"No problem. Anything to help keep the peace."

"Why didn't you kill that pony?" The victim finished whacking his greaves to remove them of dust and looked at his savior.

"Jay?" Taro said in awe.

"Dad? Is that really you?"

"Yes, Jay. The real me." Taro replied. The two hugged.

"I can't believe it's really you! What happened to you?"

"I'll explain later."

"Did you find Mom yet?"

"Yes I did. It didn't take much to convince her that it wasn't me who did, well, this. Let's get back to her."

"Wait, I should probably tell Lyzia and Rissa where I am."

"You still know them?"

"I live with them."

"I need to speak to Rissa, she's the only one I think of who can help us."

Staying as concealed as possible, Jay led Taro to Lyzia's house. She wasn't home, as usual. She was taking care of two kids. She needed a full time job.

"Jay, is that you?" Rissa called.

"Yes, it's me. There's someone here to see you," Jay replied.

Rissa ran into the entrance of the house. "Taro?"

"Yes, Rissa."

"What are you doing here?" She sounded angry.

"I need to speak to you."

"What is it? You never meant to revive Discord? That you never meant to kill my father? That you never meant to hurt Rainbow Dash? Because if that's it, then save it! I used to look up to you. I used to like telling people my father was your student. Now, I can't stand it."

"Rissa, I understand that you're mad at me, but that's not what I wanted to say to you."

"Then what is it?"

"Remember the stories I told you about my first time in Equestria, the changeling?"

"Yeah, so what?"

"It happened again. She's back and she's me. She killed me and Jarden. We met Isron while we were dead, and he managed to bring me back to life and is working on Jarden. The changeling who took my place revived Discord."

"Assuming you ARE telling the truth, what does this have to do with me?"

"This." Taro pulled out the egg from his satchel.

Rissa looked at it, her mouth open wide. "Wow, it's beautiful. What's it for?"

"Hopefully, you. This egg still needs its Rider. Word of a new Dragon Rider on Earth brought a new hope to the dying age I grew up in. I'm just hoping it will do the same here. This dragon still has its mission. I'm just hoping it's yours. YOU are in DIRECT LINE of a family of Dragon Riders. If this dragon is yours, you can help me save Equestria."

"Why can't you do it?"

"I don't have Thatch. There's no way I can win without him. Is there any chance you know where he is?"

"No, I don't. I've only seen him a few times, flying above the cities."

"I'm going to leave this egg here with you. If you get the egg to hatch, find a way to let me know. Jay, we must go. Rainbow Dash is waiting. Tell Lyzia when she comes home that I have returned."