• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 7,850 Views, 372 Comments

Meet the Team: Pony Fortress 2 - The Usurper



Now with its MvM-based sequel, Pony Fortress 2: A Worthy Cause. Meet the mercenaries from Team Fortress 2 - except this time, these ones aren't the ones from Earth. This isn't the same situation as Earth either. Heck, they aren't even

  • ...
22
 372
 7,850

Meet the Pyro: Calm Before the Storm (Prelude)

It was dark. Not completely dark in a pitch-black kind of way, but just dark. There were stars glittering above her in the night sky, bringing their gentle light to her eyes, but, unlike another significant detail, that wasn't worrying in the least bit.

What was worrying was that there were stars below her too. The ground, in all of its transparency, allowed the light to reach her stomach and beneath her eyelids. It may have been fairly disconcerting for the average pony, seeing as they probably weren't used to having a constant glow on their underside.

She, however, did not fall into the category of 'most ponies'.

Pinkie Pie's mouth curved downwards in a slight frown. "Hm... usually my dreams are more colourful."

"Now whoever said this was a usual dream, my dear?"

"Who's there?" Pinkie instinctively reached for the flamethrower that hung eternally at her side - not counting the times when she was using it, of course - and thus it came as a surprise that her trademark weapon was missing.

"No need to be afraid. I come in peace, seeking your assistance." A soft tap echoed through the air. Pinkie turned and acknowledged the presence of the cloaked figure behind her with a grin.

"Ooh! A request! What is it?"

She might have been mistaken, but did that other being just... smile? Not that it was easy to notice, of course, because everything was incredibly dark and shadowy, and its face was no exception.

"My sources have told me that you are close to the Administrator. Is this correct?"

"Well..."

"Closer than most other ponies, at least."

"... I guess you could say that."

"That's all I needed to know. Could you listen to me for a moment?"

"Sure. What is it?"

The figure sighed. "One thing you should know first. I am what you might call an... alicorn, in the same way that you might call Dis- I mean, the Administrator an alicorn."

"He's a draconequus, really."

"I know, but there are many similarities. Powerful magic, extremely extended lifespans, et cetera."

"Okay, so you're a sort of alicorn. Got it."

"Second, I am similar to Celestia and Luna in that I, too, lead a people of my own."

"So... you kinda have your own kingdom and stuff?"

"You could say that, yes."

"But then why haven't I heard of a third alicorn before?"

"We are a secretive and nomadic race. But that is not the point here."

"What is, then?"

"We... are dying. My people, that is. I am the only one who remains eternal."

"Well that's kinda normal. Everypony dies sometime."

"No, you misunderstand. They're not dying naturally. They're starving to death."

"St- Starving?! But how?"

"The Administrator was my only chance. Celestia and Luna would never agree to help me."

"So what did he say?"

"You don't know the outcome? I thought he would've told you by now."

"I've been busy with work."

"He flat-out refused."

"Oh... why?"

"You'll have to ask him that." The figure deadpanned.

"..."

"I need to ask you for help."

"Help?"

"Correct. You're close to him; he might listen to you if you try to convince him to help us."

"I don't know, he's not the type to be convinced by emotions rather than reason... or lack of reason, as the case may be."

"Please, you have to at least try. Otherwise I'll have no choice but to-" It stopped short.

"To what?"

"... To resort to drastic measures. For your sake, Pinkie, and for the sake of the world, I hope you succeed."

"I'll try my best."

"Thank you." The figure nodded in satisfaction, and a ghost of a grin once again graced its face. "It's time to return of the world of the lucid now."

"Lucid? So how do I know I didn't just dream all of this up?"

"Tell the Administrator this. You should get a reaction out of him, and then you'll know that this is all real." It snorted. "As real as a dreamworld conversation gets, anyway."

"Okay, what?"

"It's a quote. I think he may be the only one left who will recognize it. This world was born for the perfect but cursed with the weak."

"Sounds... deep, I guess. Most quotes are like that."

"My guess is he'll be shocked that you could recite that. He'll ask you how you came across the quote. You should be able to bring up this topic then."

"Seems easy enough, except for the actual convincing part."

"I must express my gratitude for even trying." The figure bowed low. "If you manage to talk him around, a million dying souls will owe you their lives."

"Then I will do everything in my power-"


"... to make sure that these... innocent ponies... live." Pinkie Pie sat up. She blinked, taking in the sight of a blandly coloured bedroom before everything came rushing back to her.

That's right. BLU team's crashing here for a while until we get the logistics for the new base settled. The next little detail that crossed her mind made her shiver with trepidation. And my interview is tomorrow. Horseapples... I could have sworn it seemed so long ago just yesterday...

She shook her head to clear her thoughts, bringing the unusual dream back to the forefront of her mind. A quick look around the room revealed a wall-mounted phone. Ah, just what I need.

*beep* *beep* *beep*

*ring ring*

*click*

"Hello? Screwball here."

Connection's kinda crackly, but it'll do. "Yeah, this is Pinkie Pie."

"BLU, right?"

"I don't see any REDs around here."

"Right. BLU, then. So, why'd you call?"

"Um... I'd like to talk with Discord for a bit."

"Sorry... he's a bit busy right now."

"Oh." Pinkie rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "When will he be free?"

"Probably not until tomorrow. He needs his rest for tomorrow's meetings. Somepony had the brilliant idea of arranging one at six in the morning."

"I... I see."

"I'm pretty sure he needs his wits about him when he decides what he wants to do about the recent plague outbreak in Canterlot and the insect infestation in Fillydelphia, so-"

"Wait, another infestation?" Pinkie frowned. "Those aren't the parasprites again, are they? I thought I got them all last time..."

"Even I don't know the details. You'll have to ask him once he's finished with- oh wait, looks like he's done. I'll go see if he's willing to talk."

"Thanks." Pinkie pressed her ear to the receiver, trying to make out the muffled conversation on the other end of the phone.

"Hey, Administrator, got a moment?"

"Somepony wants to talk to me?" Pinkie heard a sigh. "Could it wait till tomorrow?"

"It's the BLU Pyro."

"Oh. Give me the phone, then." Pinkie pulled her ear away just as everything from the other side became a lot clearer. "Hello, Pinkie. What is it?"

"I..." She hesitated. Maybe I'd better not tell him up front. I should probably talk about it when he can't make any excuses to leave.

"You?"

"I... I..." At that moment, her subconscious saw fit to remind her of one specific detail. Her voice dropped several decibels, taking on the tone of a petrified filly, hiding from the monsters of her mind. "... I'm scared."

"Scared? Why?"

"My... interview..." She said in a near whisper. It was as if the fear of a thousand years had suddenly been thrust onto her shoulders.

"Your... oh." The Administrator sighed again. "What is it you want me to do?"

His uncaring tone wounded her a little inside. "Could I, maybe, um, sleep in your room with you tonight?"

"W- What?" He sounded surprised; that was certainly rare. Seems like I managed to catch him off guard with that...

"I'm scared. Scared of what's going to happen to me tomorrow. Please... can't you stay with me? Just for tonight?"

"..."

"Please?"

The other end of the phone suddenly became dead quiet, as if he'd hung up on her, but the unceasing crackling revealed that the Administrator was still there. Probably pondering what to say.

"Well, it's not that I'm against it, but I... you... alright, you can sleep with me tonight."

"Oh thank you thank you thank you!" In her excitement, Pinkie hugged the phone close to her chest, forgetting for a moment that it was an inanimate object and not a living pony.

"Um, yeah... See you in ten minutes,"

"Bye." She returned the phone to its wall mount and glanced at the clock that sat on a table close by. She noted, with no apparent surprise, that it was nearly midnight.

Sitting back, she took the time to decide which, between trying to stave off the very real fear of her interview or saving the lives of numerous innocents, was her priority.

She spent the next five minutes considering the options. In the end, having decided on neither, she resolved to make the choice on the way to the Administrator's room. Grabbing her blanket and Rainbow Dash plushie off her bed, she cantered off to join him.


The Administrator busied himself with restoring order - or at least, what could have passed as a poor imitation of it - to his messy room. A better description of what he was doing, however, would have been snapping his fingers and letting his immeasurably powerful magic do all the work for him. Chocolate milk cleared itself off the floor, flying into a conveniently placed bucket in the corner of the room. Papers strewn across his bed were lifted into the air and subsequently stuffed inside the cabinet beside his bed in a disorganized pile of instability. His socks (he always questioned why he even needed those things) had just made it into his clothes wardrobe when the door creaked open and a pink earth pony stepped in.

He smiled. "Hello, Pinkie. It seems that you're-"

"This world was born for the perfect but cursed with the weak."

The smile immediately fell off his face and landed on the ground sideways, making a squishy splashing sound that only a magically-infused mouth colliding with a hard surface could make. "What?!"

Pinkie sighed. "Father, we need to talk."

Oh no...


To be continued in Meet the Pyro (Prelude II)