• Published 3rd Jan 2012
  • 31,981 Views, 1,729 Comments

Stairway to Equestria - AlexUk



After a bad decision he goes through Death's grip and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
138
 1,729
 31,981

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: Two Glows

Chapter 4

Two Glows

“Blink! Blink! Wake up! ”

Too loud . . . why is there so much noise?

“Blink, please wake up . . .”

My head was bursting in pain as I regained my senses. I slowly opened my eyes and noticed a purple blur in front of me. My vision adjusted and the blur became clear. Twilight was standing near my bed, with a very concerned look on her face.

“Hey there, sleepyhead!” Twilight said, smiling. She was still worried, though. “What happened? Are you okay? I am so sorry; Spike should have been watching you. I will take care of that dragon later-”

“No . . . please . . . it’s not his fault; it’s mine . . .”

The room was spinning and I started feeling dizzy. I closed my eyes, trying to focus on where the pain was coming from.

“Blink, what happened? I found you passed out on the floor. You fell and hit your head pretty bad, too.”

As she mentioned that, I finally pinpointed the pain. I raised my hoof to the side of my head and felt a small lump. Apparently I really did hit the floor pretty hard.

“It’s okay, nothing bad happened.”

I still couldn’t tell her the truth. What if she would send a letter to Princess Celestia? Luna would definitely have a reason to kick me out of Equestria or banish me and I didn’t want that just yet.

“I just . . . I think my magic manifested. I don’t remember doing magic before.”

Twilight’s eyebrow raised at that, but then her face lightened up.

“You silly colt, you’re still too weak for magic. You shouldn't have tried anything without supervision.” She seemed more relaxed now, concern fading away,replaced soon by a warm smile. “What did you do, anyway?” she asked, curious.

“Well, I knocked over that glass,” I said, pointing towards the cup under the table, “and before hitting the ground it just . . . happened: it stopped mid-air. Then everything went dark.”

“Do you remember doing magic before?” Twilight asked, hoping for an answer.

“No. This is, from what I feel, the first time.” I answered, honestly. “But . . . I want to learn. Think you could you help me with that?” I asked hopefully.

The purple mare looked at me with a mix of worry and compassion. A unicorn was not a unicorn without magic, so she just couldn’t keep that from me.

“Okay Blink, I will help you; but you have to take it slow, all right? I’ll bring you some books about the first steps in the field of magic. You’ll need to re-learn the basics in order to do the more advanced stuff. Also, it will be pretty hard to figure out what magic you are good at, as long as we still don’t know what your cutie mark means. But, I will teach you, as long as you promise to take it slow and not strain yourself.”

“All right, Twilight, I promise!”

“Pinkie promise?” she instinctively asked.

“What?” I reacted, managing to keep the appearances.

“Ahh, never mind, it’s a silly thing I do with one of my friends. You wouldn’t know about it,” she said, smiling, a little bit embarrassed by her assumption. "Okay, now get some rest; dinner will be ready soon. I’ll get you some reading material and we can start the magic training tomorrow if you want, does that sound good to you?”

“That sounds great,” I beamed at her, happy for a change.

“Remember, you still have to do your physical exercises, and I won’t accept tardiness.”

I nodded, holding a smile. Knowing Twilight’s studious and punctual nature, I couldn’t disappoint her. I had a lot of catching up to do, as I knew almost nothing about magic. The previous incident wasn’t quite reassuring as well, and I feared I wouldn’t be able to use my magic in that world at all, but I at the same time I couldn't give up that easily.

“Try to relax,” she said, calmly, “I have to check again that you’re in perfect health.”

She closed in, her horn glowing a soft purple. She touched my side with it, repeating the diagnosis spell she performed on me the night I arrived in that place. This time it felt much warmer, and my head and eyelids seemed to gain weight over the soft pillow. It wasn’t long before I slipped into a relaxing sleep, Twilight not even noticing it.

“Well, things seem to be quite . . . in order,” she said, blushing. Her scanning magic accidentally went a bit lower under the belly than the first time, but she didn’t know exactly if I felt it or not. To her surprise (and relief), I was asleep. Twilight smiled, hiding a worrying look. Not only did she not know a thing about my past or how I’ve gotten here, but she was now concerned about my future as well. For what it’s worth, I had no talent, no home, no family or friends . . .

She gently pulled the sheets over my relaxed body and then quietly stepped out of the small room. She went downstairs, into the kitchen, checking on Spike’s cooking.

“Hey Twi, how’s the big guy?” the dragon asked, somewhat concerned.

“Look who’s now interested in my ‘special friend’ ” Twilight retorted, playfully. “He’s fine. His first magical manifestation was apparently too much for him. But he’s okay now, sound asleep.”

"His first one? Isn't that a bit late for a unicorn?" Spike asked, half-distracted by his cooking.

“It is, but we still don't know anything about his memory loss and I can't stop thinking that I should have brought him to the hospital . . . I have to go investigate the area where Kazooie found Blink, if we are to find out who . . . or what did this to him,” Twilight said.

“No worries, I’ll keep an eye on him this time. I promise!”

Twilight shot the dragon a somewhat angry glare. “You better do so, mister,” she said firmly.

The mare then headed towards the library’s main room, and as she passed Spike, Twilight muzzled his side, gently. She knew she couldn’t stay mad at him for long; the dragon returned a warm smile, glaring at her with assuring eyes.

Minutes later, books started levitating through the main room, as the purple mare searched for the Introduction to Magic for Fillies and Colts.

“Well, he has to start somewhere,” she thought when finding it. Twilight then floated the book on a table nearby.

“Spike, I’m leaving now, be back in an hour. I left a book on the table; give it to Blink when he wakes up.”

“Okay! Take care, and don’t be late for dinner!”

“I won’t,” the purple mare responded, as she left the library.

*** *** ***

The distant sound of a metal object hitting a surface woke me up.

“Why are they cooking in the morning . . . ?” I mumbled, waking up. "I really need to move out of this flat . . .”

My eyes went wide as I remembered yet again where I actually was. “Well, guess I still haven’t got used to the whole thing.”

I chuckled and playfully rolled in the small bed, tensing all my muscles and pressing my head deep into the pillow, sheets tangled around my body. I let out a deep yawn. I felt so happy right then, even though my future was uncertain and my magic powers seemed to be tainted with something less than desirable. Remembering the beautiful world I ended up in and the warming welcome I’d been offered, I just knew I couldn’t spoil the new opportunity.

I got off from the bed and headed downstairs to check what the commotion was about. I found Spike running around the kitchen, getting plates and cutlery out of drawers.

“Hey there, Spike.”

“Aww, you’re awake. Feeling better?”

“Yeah, had a quick nap and I feel much better now; smells nice, by the way." My stomach rumbled in confirmation.

“Well, you’ll have to wait a bit more. It’s not ready yet and we have to wait for Twilight to return. She’s out to talk to the farm pony that found you that night. By the way, there’s a book for you on the small side table in the main room, Twilight said it’s for you.”

“Thanks, Spike, I’ll get it.”

I walked out the kitchen, worrying myself about what Twilight might find out. My eyes found the book Spike had mentioned. I got closer and inspected the cover, curious of what it was about.

“Introduction to magic for fillies and colts,” I mumbled, reading the title. “Huh . . . well, I guess I have to start somewhere.”

I gently grabbed the book in my mouth and strolled to the nearest couch. I laid across it, trying to get myself into a somewhat comfortable position for reading. Tucking my limbs underneath me proved to be yet a new challenge. As I was still barely used to coordinating four walking limbs, one would slip underneath me as I tucked in the rest. A frustrating minute later, I managed to get comfy.

As I started reading, I saw Spike popping his head in the room from the kitchen, probably checking on me. He returned to his preparations though, while I was reading the first chapter of the rather lengthy book.

*** *** ***

Twilight knocked on the door, hoping that someone was home. Soon enough it opened, a brown stallion behind it.

“Miss Sparkle!” Kazooie exclaimed, rather surprised. “What a pleasure to see you here again, come in.”

“Thank you very much, and please, just call me Twilight,” the lavender mare responded with a smile.

She followed the stallion into what had to be the home’s main room: a simple, medium sized chamber, with a big fireplace, a small table with three chairs and an old sofa in a corner. Pictures of family and friends rested above the fireplace, all of them apparently farm ponies. The stallion invited Twilight to take a place on the sofa as he pulled himself a chair.

“How is our friend? Has he recovered?” the farmer asked a nervous curiosity tainting his voice.

“He’s quite fine, no worries. His name is Midnight Blink and apparently he can’t remember anything that happened before you found him. Fortunately, from what I can tell at least, he’s quite healthy: he started walking again and even performed some magic.”

“That sounds like great news, Twilight; we here were really concerned about him. Bonnie in particular has been asking about him during the last two days, she’ll be so happy to find out he’s all right.”

“I’m sure he will want to come and visit you and your family soon. He’s very grateful that you saved him that night.”

“Don’t mention it, I couldn’t have it any other way. I’m just glad I could be of help.”

“About that,” Twilight started, “there is one thing I wanted to talk with you about.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Did anything strange happen, anything at all, the night you found Blink? Have you seen anypony or anything out of the ordinary near your fields ?”

“Hmm, now that I think of it, there was nothing I could notice except the sounds he made to draw attention. But there was that dream . . .”

Twilight looked at the farm pony with a curious gaze.

“What dream?”

Kazooie shuffled in his chair, seemingly nervous.

“Well, I don’t usually dream of bad things but that night . . . I had a really strange one. All ah remember is that it was dark, and there were voices, nothing I could clearly tell apart. It woke me up and right after that I started hearing those sounds.”

“That’s all?” the unicorn asked, a bit disappointment about the lack of details.

“I’m afraid so, Twilight. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. The next day I also checked the fields and the neighboring forest for any tracks or signs of other ponies. Ah found nothing, it’s as if the stallion just sprouted there in the field. I’m glad that he is all right, though. Ain't that all that matters?”

“I guess it is. But I still need to find out more about him and what happened that night.”

“Well, I wish you the best of luck, Miss Sparkle, I’m sure you will find out the truth soon enough.”

Kazooie spoke sincerely, having a warm smile on his face the whole time. He knew there were almost no clues about the pony's arrival, but he had faith in the Element of Magic, which had helped saved Ponyville countless times before with the other Elements of Harmony.

“Dinner will be ready soon and it would be a pleasure to have you with us, Twilight,” he suddenly remembered.

“Oh no, I’m sorry but I have to be home soon. My assistant must have set up our own dinner by now. Thank you very much for your hospitality.”

“Don’t mention it, if there is anything we could do to help, you know where to find us. And give Blink our best of wishes, we can’t wait for his visit.”

Both ponies got up and walked towards the door. Kazooie opened it for the mare and slightly bowed his head as she passed.

“Well, have a good one, Miss Spark- I mean, Twilight.”

The unicorn smiled at the brown stallion, amused by his formal tone.

“I wish you a pleasant night as well, kind sir,” she said in a playful tone.

They both chuckled at that and Twilight headed out to her home, thinking about what Kazooie had told her. She noticed a yellow shape descending from the skies right at her library.

“Hmm, that looks exactly like Fluttershy . . .”

*** *** ***

A faint knock at the door caught my attention. I raised my head from the couch, wondering who could it be. Spike rushed to the door, opening it.

“Hello there, Fluttershy! What brings you here?”

I immediately ducked my head behind the couch, hearing the name.

Oh god, Fluttershy's here! I thought, letting out a small squeal. Would she be the same cute, shy pony as I knew she was?

I had a weak spot for the cute and helpless ones, and Fluttershy was no exception. Doubt however started to cloud my thoughts as scenarios in which she simply ran away from me played in my head. Sure she might have been shy, but how shy was she actually in reality?

“Is Twilight home? I really need to talk to her about a book I need,” the softest voice I had heard in my life filled my ears.

“She’s out, but if you want, you can wait for her, should be home shortly; make yourself at home, Fluttershy,” the dragon said, welcoming her inside.

“Okay, thank you very much; I hope I’m not disturbing . . .”

“It’s all right, you’re not. I have to go finish dinner, care to join us?”

“Oh no, I mean, I appreciate it, but I’ve just eaten,” the yellow pegasus said in a tone barely above whispering levels.

Spike headed back to the kitchen, rolling his eyes, amused by the pony’s shyness. Even after all this time, she was still a calm, retreated pony, even among her friends.

The pegasus made her way into the main room, heading right towards the couch I rested on, which had its back turned towards entrance, so she couldn’t see me yet. I was shuffling my hooves nervously; I didn’t know how she would react to my presence. Had Twilight even spoken to her friends about me? If she did, why didn’t they visit the library yet? But if she didn’t, Fluttershy was in for a big surprise.

The yellow pony walked by the couch, her eyes on Owloysius, who was resting on the end of a small ladder, in the opposite corner of the room. I simply lost my voice, opening my mouth to say something but then deciding to stay quiet, not to startle the poor thing. My body was frozen as I was holding my breath.

“I’m so retarded, she will turn and eventually notice me,” the thought passed my mind. I clearly didn’t thought that through and I was somewhat worried about her inevitable reaction.

The owl turned its gaze at Fluttershy, let out his specific call and then looked straight at me.

“Damn it bird !”

The yellow Pegasus noticed the owl was focusing on something else, and then turned her head towards the source of the pet’s curiosity.

“Hey there,” I muttered.

And then she saw me. Fluttershy let out a loud squeal, jumped in the air and landed back on the floor, hiding her face behind her mane and hooves, shaking like a leaf.

“Sorry, I didn’t meant to scare you,” I said, getting off my couch and heading towards her.

Big mistake. The pegasus jumped to the other side of the room, rushing into the kitchen, yelling after Spike.

“Well that went . . . perfectly fine,” I said to myself.

I went after her, and found the scared mare clutching Spike, hiding behind him.

“There is no robber in the library, Fluttershy, don’t be silly,” the dragon re-assured her as I slowly entered the kitchen.

“His name is Midnight Blink, and he’s a guest here until he gets back on his hooves,” Spike explained, pointing at me.

“Sorry I startled you there . . . Fluttershy, is it?”

The pegasus relaxed and stopped shaking, letting go of Spike with a deep blush on her face.

“Yes, I’m Fluttershy . . . ” a barely audible response came from her.

“I’m Blink . . . Happy to meet you.”

I smiled at the still scared pegasus, while nervously moving a hoof across the floor.

“Well, I’m going to return to my reading. See you later, Fluttershy.”

I got back to my couch, feeling absolutely embarrassed by that first encounter. I didn’t want to make the poor pegasus feel more uncomfortable than she was already, so I thought I would just stay there and let her spend some time with Spike. Just as I resumed my reading, I heard the sound of the library’s door being opened. Soon enough, Twilight walked in.

“Hey there, anyone visited the library since I was out?” she asked.

“Yea, Fluttershy just came in.”

“Ohh, so you met her? Have the two of you talked already?”

“Well, she freaked out a little when she saw me, ran to Spike thinking I was a robber, but in the end, she told me her name.”

Twilight laughed, remembering her first encounter with the shy pegasus.

“That’s pretty much the same way I met her when I first came to Ponyville, although the details varied a little,” she said, heading into the kitchen, still giggling.

A couple of minutes later, Twilight returned with Fluttershy right behind her. As they passed me, I smiled to the pegasus, and she seemed to smile back.

“Sorry for getting scared like that,” she said, again, in a barely audible voice. “I heard what happened to you and I hope everything turns out all right.” The pony’s voice was fading away, and she was still trying to hide her face behind her beautiful pink mane.

“It’s okay, don’t worry, I should have made my presence known earlier and not startled you like that.”

“So, Fluttershy,” the unicorn interrupted, “why do you want that encyclopedia about birds again? I thought you knew everything there was to know about animals already.”

Fluttershy was still hiding her face, pawing at the floor. “It’s not that Twilight, but two days ago, this strange, black bird I’ve never seen before passed over my house, rested for a while on a branch and then flew into the Everfree Forest. I searched my own books about something similar to it, but didn’t find anything. I hoped you might have something . . .”

“Hmm okay, let me see,” Twilight said, her horn glowing a bright purple.

Out of a shelf came a fairly big book titled Flying creatures: A to Z. She levitated it down, handing it to Fluttershy.

“I hope it helps, this book contains all the information about bird species in Equestria.”

“Thank you so much, Twilight, I’ll return it tomorrow.”

“No problem, take your time, it’s not that often that I lend this book out anyway,” the unicorn said, smiling. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay for dinner?”

“Aww no, I couldn’t, I just ate. I also need to get the animals ready for bed.”

How on earth to you get animals ready for bed?

“All right, Fluttershy, have a good night, I hope you find what you need.”

“Good night Twilight; good night to you too, Blink,” she said, a little bit more secure on herself.

Twilight followed the pegasus to the door, opening it with her magic. Fluttershy flew off to her home, the huge book clutched in her forelegs.

“Dinner is ready!” Spike shouted from the kitchen.

The purple mare went to help him, levitating all the plates filled with food on the table, arranging them in perfect order in less than a few seconds. We each took a seat and dug in, enjoying Spike’s amazing hay fries dipped in mashed lilies and tomato sauce.

“Twilight, can I ask you a favour?” I asked, finishing my large portion.

“Of course, Blink,” she responded, levitating the plates away.

“Could you help me try out some magic? It’s still pretty early to go to sleep now.”

I widened my eyes at the purple unicorn, raising my bottom lip just a tad, not too much but enough to hint at a pleading expression. She rolled her eyes and then opened up to a smile.

“Have you read the book I left you?” she asked, now in a serious, almost teacher-like voice.

“Not all of it, but enough to get an idea,” I said, grinning.

“Okay then, but just one spell. I don’t want you passing out again; it’s becoming the norm for you. Follow me.”

I jumped off my seat and followed Twilight to a room next to the main one. It had nothing inside but shelves filled with books.

“How big is this tree house? And how many millions of books do you keep in it?” I asked, genuinely amazed by the efficient space management of the house.

“Well, this is a library, you know? It’s meant to have a lot of books. It isn’t as big as the library back in Canterlot, but I managed to add to its inventory some of the . . . essentials,” the purple unicorn said, harbouring a guilty smile.

“Anyway, I thought you might try out a levitation spell. It’s the easiest one to perform for beginners.”

“Yea, I hoped you’d say that. So, what am I lifting?” I asked impatiently.

Twilight opened a small box from a shelf and took out a couple of objects similar to pebbles. She threw them on the floor, in the center of the room. She then laid down next to them, signaling me to do the same.

“The first thing you need to do before attempting to use your magic is to clear your mind. You need to forget about everything in the world for a couple of moments and focus your magic. In time, it will become second nature, and you will be able to channel your powers even in stressful conditions.”

“Now . . .” she continued, her horn starting to glow, “You need to focus on getting your magic in one spot. The horn helps us do that and most spells require magic being channelled through our horns at first. The important thing is to relax, and most importantly, to take it slow.”

“But, how can I gather something that I can’t see?” I asked trying to grasp the concept of channeling energy.

“Even in the unlikely scenario that you have never done it before, you can feel your magic coursing through and sometimes around your body. For example, I can now ‘see’ your magic surrounding you. It’s like a thin, floating mist; yours is a beautiful . . . blue, and quite strong by the looks of it.” She smiled, her horn still glowing and eyes travelling across my body.

”That takes years of practice though, and means that one you have mastered the control and manipulation of magic. But that’s only part of the whole spell-casting process. Try focusing your magic as I did . . . and don’t forget, take your time, and clear your mind. Don't think of anything too complicated, just lift the pebble.”

I closed my eyes and attempted to clear my head, removing all thoughts that were currently inside. Slowly, one by one, my senses started to fade away. I couldn’t hear the noises of the settling night or feel the presence of another pony in the room anymore.

I felt like my mind was the center of the universe, and then, after a few moments of just existing without purpose or intention, I found it. At first, it was a hint of warmth that I felt flowing through and around my body, brushing my coat from time to time. It was a weird sensation, but slowly, I was getting more aware of its presence. I started to think about moving it, and as if it was listening to me, it shifted from its course. Slowly but steadily, I managed to direct it towards the top of my head. I felt my horn getting warmer and warmer, my heart pumping magic-filled blood through my veins.

I opened my eyes slightly, and noticed Twilight staring at me patiently.

“Now,” she said in a calm, soft voice, as to not break my concentration, “try to direct your channelled magic from your horn towards one of the pebbles.”

She quickly gave me an example, one of the small stones being engulfed in a faded, purple aura. I started looking at the other one, trying to keep the magic from dispersing from my horn. It was getting harder and harder to maintain control but then I felt a strange presence in front of me. The pebble was quickly surrounded by a blue, liquid-like glow.

“Remember Blink, take it easy, use a bit less magic.”

I let the focus drop a little bit and the glow became more like Twilight’s. I then realized I could . . . feel the rock. It was like being part of my body, my brain sending pulses to my spine, but also into my horn and into the rock.

“That’s perfect; now feel the magical connection between your horn and the pebble, then try to twitch it, as if it were a muscle.”

I continued focusing on the link between the horn and the object. I could definitely sense it was there, so I tried to pull it with my thoughts. The small rock jolted, moving slightly across the floor. I looked at Twilight and she nodded, encouraging me to continue. I tried moving the stone again and this time it jumped in the air a few inches. As it started descending, I focused harder on it, and it froze in the air.

Twilight gave me a big smile, a proud look on her face.

“You did it! Congratulation on your first, intentional, spell you remember to have cast!” she said with a giggle, then playfully bumped my shoulder with her hoof.

The magic link between my horn and the pebble had become self-sustaining, as I could look at Twilight while keeping the stone afloat. I then refocused on the object, trying to raise it higher. It slowly started to ascend, the pebble wobbling in the air as I felt the magical link stretch. The feeling of warmth in my horn was fading, all the magic draining away, to keep the link. The pebble was now almost two feet high, and I wanted levitate it to the ceiling, so I concentrated on drawing more magic from within and directed it to the horn.

My mind was not clear as it should have been, and soon various feelings imploding into my mind. Memories from past events started to resurface and before I decided to abandon the gathering of magic, my heart suddenly stopped for two seconds. I jolted, taking a deep breath, shocked by the sudden pain in my chest. To my terror, the air sucked into my lungs was freezing cold.

Twilight budged, quickly sensing something was wrong. She ‘saw’ my magic shifting from a light blue mist to a dark, black fog as cold air was flooding the room. She immediately knew that was not something normal. It was exactly like the magical surge she had when she was a filly.

“That’s impossible . . .” she whispered.

Her reaction was swift though, her horn glowing strong. Magic rushed towards me, engulfing my whole body in a strong, purple glow. As I stood there, almost paralysed, my panic was suddenly calmed by scenes of great beauty. Amazing wild life I had never seen before in my life, huge constellations of stars, a big, imposing palace, a huge hall filled with dressed-up ponies, six happy friends smiling and then . . . a warm embrace.

All the dark magic around me quickly dissipated and the pebble dropped to the ground. My chest was no longer tight, the air around me was getting warmer and all the voices I started hearing went away. I opened my eyes and noticed I was leaning onto Twilight, my hooves limp on the floor. I quickly regained all my senses and stumbled back on all fours, the mare helping me get my balance.

“Hey there, lost you for a second . . .” she said, worried.

“Well, what can I say, I like all the attention I can get,” I responded, shaking my head. Twilight laughed, happy I was all right. “Thanks for catching me there; I know I’m not a light one.”

“No worries, Blink, I have magic to help me. Anyway, let’s get you to bed, I think you had a little bit too much for today.”

“Okay, I guess I’m a little tired now.” I yawned. “I . . . didn’t clear my head there, when I tried to lift the pebble higher.”

“I know, it happens to beginners. Your case is a bit strange though, but we’ll sort it out in the future, don’t you worry.”

I looked at her and noticed a concerned expression hiding beneath her re-assuring smile. I knew she was holding something from me. She probably knew more about that strange magic I had just felt than I did, but I didn’t want to insist on it. I hoped that in time, I could manage to control it, and somehow understand it.

I got to my room, wished each other good night and parted our ways. I entered the small chamber and went straight to bed, pulling the sheets over me with my teeth.

That sure was a strange day but I felt so much better with Twilight near me. She used her magic and memories to calm me, subduing the dark presence. I knew then that if she could do it, I could do it as well. I couldn’t wait to resume training next day, yet fears of that strange energy still lingered in my head. My thoughts faded away into the night as I fell into deep, calm sleep.

*** *** ***

Celestia twitched and suddenly stopped, right in front of her royal bedroom. She just had another jolt, a feeling she hadn’t felt in years, not since her prized student cracked that dragon egg.

“That was him,” she whispered to herself.

It happened for the second time that day, but the last one was different.

“Twilight intervened . . .” Celestia knew.

She quickly turned and trotted away towards the castle’s library and halls of records. Guards that were standing by the entrance bowed to the Princess as she entered the library. She knew exactly where to go, and after navigating between the huge shelves, the princess stopped. Her horn glow a strong yellow, illuminating the books around. A small, black one came flying, stopping in front of her.

It opened, magic turning the pages. The words were barely visible anymore, and the pages had turned yellow. Suddenly, Celestia saw a symbol, a marking she had seen recently. Using her magic, the princess separated the page from the book perfectly, as if a laser was used to cut it. The book closed and flew back from where it came; the page was hovering in front of the princess’ eyes. She knew what that piece of paper contained, but only now the connections were made.

The page magically folded into a small bit, and the alicorn placed it under her harness. Celestia quickly walked out of the library and headed to one of the main towers. After going through a huge hallway with historic glass paintings, she reached a large vault door, carved with symbols of great magic. The alicorn used her horn to unlock the huge doors and they quickly opened, revealing a jewel encrusted case, suspended in air.

Celestia levitated the small chest to her and opened it. Inside rested five necklaces and a golden tiara. She put the wrapped up page inside the box and closed it, placing it back in the vault. The huge doors slowly closed, powerful light sealing them shut.

Princess Celestia let out a sigh, concerned eyes facing the vault door.

“I hope he was sent here for good reasons . . .” she said to herself, heading back to the royal residence.

End of chapter 4

PreviousChapters Next