• Published 3rd Jan 2012
  • 31,971 Views, 1,729 Comments

Stairway to Equestria - AlexUk



After a bad decision he goes through Death's grip and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
138
 1,729
 31,971

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: Trapped

Chapter 8

Trapped

“How lazy can ya get, Blink?” Kazooie asked out of nowhere, startling me.

I took off the straw hat that covered my face and gave him an irritated look. It was noon, and the sun was already high in the sky, scorching everything exposed to its bright rays.

We were at the mill, where I was supposed to grind the wheat we’ve been harvesting for the past couple of weeks. The machine near me was quite simple in design: a big stone tub with a hole in its side. In it rested a round and heavy grinding rock. A horizontal wood pole was attached to the top part, with a harness at its end.

The farmer dropped another bundle of wheat near the mill, looking at me with discontent as I was lazily lying on a chaise longue I’ve made for myself.

“Come on, it’s not like I’m not working!” I complained, noticing his gaze.

The mill was turning by itself, a soft blue aura engulfing the top stone. Flour was pouring into a huge bag and a stream of wheat grains was floating into the mill, feeding it.

“Well, ah’ guess it’s all fine as long as you get the job done. I knew you unicorns aren’t built for this kind of working.”

“Hehe, guilty! I’m practicing my magic with the occasion, so it’s a win-win.”

“Speaking of, how are things with Miss Sparkle?” Kazooie asked.

“I told you, we’re just friends . . . actually, student and teacher-”

“I was talking about yer training,” the big orange stallion said, chuckling.

“Good one pff . . . funny indeed,” I stammered out, slightly embarrassed.

The truth was that things were indeed getting sort of weird between Twilight and I, especially since the time she accidentally leaned on me on that balloon trip from Canterlot. Lately, it crossed my mind to ask her out, but I never mustered the courage to actually do it. I was nobody in that world, working for food at a farm with no friends or family. Also, dating a pony stood against everything I knew about the subject. Would they have any rules of courtship, a list of do’s and don’ts? I could have asked Spike about it, but boy I would that be inquiring at the wrong species and the wrong age. I had no other colt friends and I wasn’t too keen on asking Kazooie about it either.

The issue was that I couldn’t risk getting involved with her due to the uncertainty regarding my future. For all I knew, I could have found myself back anytime in that dark place where it all started, with Death smirking at me and saying: “Hope you enjoyed your stay there, but your time has finally come.”

Every night I went to bed I was afraid that I wouldn’t wake up in the same place the next day, and although I started to miss my family and my friends, every morning felt like a huge relief, knowing I would spend another day in that world . . .

“So Blink, what are your plans?” the earth stallion asked, breaking my train of thoughts.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I don’t think ya want to be working on mah’ farm for the rest of your life, do ya now?”

“I don’t know. I’m still figuring things out at the moment. Life seems strangely calm and peaceful around here though.”

“So you seek adventure?” he asked knowingly.

“Maybe, but-”

“Do you want to be in the army?”

“Wha-? Why do you think I would want to be in the army?” I asked him, slightly surprised by his assumption.

He let out a laugh, shaking his head.

“I’ve seen you handling those tools with your magic. You could sure make a good guard pony, or even a soldier.”

“Are there unicorn soldiers?” I asked, somewhat excited by the prospect.

“Hehe, you sure seem to have forgotten a lot about things around here. There’s a whole regiment of them in Canterlot. It’s quite nice from what I’ve heard from muh’ cousin. He’s been serving for years now and they mostly do expeditions in the North Plains.”

“Expeditions? As in, discovering new territories?”

“Well, everything has pretty much been mapped by the pegasi hundreds of years ago, but since we haven’t had a war in Celestia-knows how many centuries, we’ve cut back on the army and been using the soldiers as guards, police ponies or for expeditions.”

“That’s quite interesting. I think I’m gonna give that a try at some point.”

“Well, the Royal Army Academy is in Canterlot, and you need to train there for at least one year before doing anything else. But ah’ guess you’ll do just fine.” He took a look at the mill, which was still spinning under my magic. “You sure came a long way from when I found ya that night,” he added, giving me a wink.

I smiled at the orange earth pony, remembering that cold but distant night.

“Thanks Kazooie, I don’t think I would be here without you.”

He nodded and went back to the barn, leaving me to finish milling the last batch for that day.

After an hour or so my work was done for the day. I headed back home, thinking about a possible career in the Royal Army. But before I could decide anything, I had to talk to Twilight about it.

Reaching my house, I felt the need to take a bath so I did just so, cleaning myself in the lake, the willow tree giving me some much needed privacy. The water coming from the stream was quite warm and I actually enjoyed the natural, personal space. I’ve even made it more comfortable to bathe in, transforming it into a sort of pool, placing flat rocks on the bottom of the shallow area that was the region where the stream met the lake.

After finishing cleaning up, I went into the house, eager to make myself something to eat. Soon enough, I was slicing some carrots for a light salad meal, using my magic to wield the knife. I got used to handling utensils pretty fast in the past weeks and everything seemed easier with magic. As I placed the carrots into a bowl, my eyes fell on the knife which was idly hovering in front of me. An idea passed through my mind.

I looked around and spotted a seemingly random spot on the other side of the room. Focusing my magic on the knife, I propelled it right into that imaginary spot on the wall, several meters away. The knife hit the wooden wall, embedding itself several centimeters deep, right on target.

“Hmm, not bad,” I said to myself, whilst thinking at all the possibilities that I’ve overlooked involving my magic.

Twilight told me about offensive spells but she seemed pretty determined to not teach me any, as she found them useless in that stage of my magic training.

Useless but fun.

I decided it would be pretty awesome if I started learning them by myself, and I already had a good starting point: my telekinetic abilities. Levitating objects around suddenly got even more interesting and thinking about all the possibilities filled me with a strange excitement that somehow reminded me of home.

After several moments of pondering on the moral implications of studying and actively practicing harmful spells in a world filled with peace, I decided it was no big deal so I quickly ate up my meal and went into my room to prepare for the following training session with Twilight.

On the desk I had my notebook, which was filled with notes and reminders on different spells, symbols and incantations. Next to it, Star Swirl’s book on advanced magic was opened at the same illusion spell I’ve been trying to learn for the last weeks. After reexamining the contents one last time I felt I was finally ready to test it again.

“Probably after my training,” I thought, while packing all the books in a saddlebag.

I left the house, not giving too much attention to the knife which was still stuck in the wall near the door. On my way to the library, I went through Ponyville to grab some snacks for the training, a growing habit over the last several sessions.

The small town streets were busy as always for that time of the day. Ponies were trotting around, enjoying a beautiful, but rather eventless day in Ponyville. During my first week there, they used to give me strange looks every now and then, but in time I practically became one of them. Some even greeted me as we passed by each other, and I always responded with a nod of the head. It was definitely a good change from the old town I lived in back home. In Ponyville, everyone seemed nice and friendly, and they always smiled back at you. At first I found it very peculiar, but quickly got used to the whole general state of kindness.

I bought a couple dozen minted daisies for me and Twilight and some soy jerky for Spike. Although I managed to adjust to and even enjoy the new diet (which was mostly herbivorous), I still longed for a nice, juicy steak from time to time. Good thing dairy products and eggs were considered normal things to eat in Equestria, but I still missed the meat.

Leaving the grocery store, I made my way towards the library. While crossing a small bridge over a stream, I noticed a young filly crying, sitting on the ground near the water.

“Hey there, small one. What’s the matter?” I asked the tiny pony while approaching her.

She kept sobbing, not even looking up at me when I talked. Her coat was a bright cream and she had a light blue mane. Her eyes were red from all the crying and her coat was even stained from all the tears. She also must have been pretty young since she didn’t have a cutie mark yet. I wasn’t that good with children and it seemed young fillies was not an exception, but I couldn’t just give up and let her sit there bawling, so I tried to re-assure her.

“Now, now, please stop crying and tell me what happened,” I said sheepishly, trying not to scare her even more.

She stopped weeping and looked up at me, her eyes filled with tears.

“I lost my mommy,” she let out, saddened.

“Kids . . .” I thought, trying not to roll my eyes.

“Well, I’m sure we can find her. Wanna come with me and search for her?”

The small filly nodded. She got up and as I was about to head off, I noticed she was standing in the same spot, her forelegs in the air.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I whispered to myself, looking in all directions as if what I was about to do would make me less of a stallion.

“All right, so you want a pony ride. I can do that.”

I lowered my head close to the ground. She managed to climb on my shoulders, with a little bit of help from my magic. We then headed towards the town center looking for some desperate mare in search of her filly. Her forelegs were resting on my head on each side of my horn, while her hind legs were digging in my shoulders.

“You sure do make a warm hoodie,” I thought, somewhat amused by the sudden change of plans in my day.

“So, where did you last see your mom?” I asked, trying to look up at her but giving up since she was practically on my neck.

“Near the tree with books. I saw a butterfly and tried to catch it and then she wasn’t with me anymore,” she responded.

“You mean the library?” I asked. In turn, I just received what seemed to be a sound of approval.

“Okay then, to the library!” I got on my hind legs, briefly waving my forelegs in the air then started a fast trot towards the library, all while making sure she would not fall off.

Always wanted to do that.

Our search soon came to an end when I saw a worried-sick mare, walking around, calling after somepony. When she saw us, her eyes widened in surprise and rushed to meet us half way.

“Cream Puff!” She almost yelled.

“Mommy!” the filly on my back answered in excitement.

The mother got the pony off my back, hugging her tight. She then looked at me, a wide smile on her face.

Thank you so much for bringing my daughter back,” she said with tears in her eyes. “I can’t believe I lost her, I’ll never let her out of my sight ever again. Is there any way I can repay you, mister uhm-”

“Blink. And no, I’m just glad I could help.”

“Are you sure? She could have been hurt, you practically saved her life.”

“Yes ma’am, I’m sure. Don’t worry about it,” I answered, almost embarrassed.

We parted ways and I headed to the nearby library. Twilight was right in front of the tree house, a couple of letters floating near her.

“Hey Twilight!”

“Hey there, big hero,” she said with a grin.

“You . . . saw that.”

“Oh come on, it was nice of you to help her out like that. I saw you carrying the little filly on your shoulders,” she added, smiling. “You’d make a great father someday.”

“What?” I jumped, surprised by her statement.

She responded with a laugh, heading back into the library while I followed her close behind. I didn’t even noticed her blush . . .

*** *** ***

We began our training: sadly, it was mostly a theory session. However I noticed things felt different that day: somehow, my attention wasn’t focused anymore on the teachings, but more on the teacher. Something made her more interesting but I just couldn’t put my hoof on it.

“Is it her mane?” I asked myself, while she was going on about the transfer of organic matter from one point to another without traversing the physical space in-between.

Or her fur? It seems a bit more purple today. How is that even possible? Could it be the light in here?

“-now suppose that one of the electrons is observed and is found to be in state A. Thus, the other electron's state is determined as B at the very instant the observation takes place, no matter how far apart the two electrons are-”

“No, it’s definitely a new perfume or something,” my mind went on, while I casually sniffed the air around, trying not to look too suspicious.

“-the particle state of the qubit thus becomes the following four-term superposition . . .” she kept lecturing.

I shook my head, mostly to myself. “Nope, it’s not a new perfume. She doesn’t use stuff like that anyway, except her mane. Her mane definitely smells like sunflowers.”

“-option one is highly undesirable because quantum states are fragile and any perturbation en route would corrupt the state-”

“Wait a minute . . . what does sunflower actually smell like?” I frowned, unable to come up with an answer.

“Yes Blink, that’s exactly how I felt about it as well,” Twilight said, the mention of my name startling me. “But remember, we can reliably measure quantum information with our magic field, so you don’t need to worry.”

I nodded in agreement, having no idea what she was talking about.

“Well, now that we got the basics out of the way, I guess you can try it out yourself.”

“What?” I asked, still clueless about what was going on. I then noticed that the blackboard in front of me had mysteriously filled up with symbols and formulas.

“Teleportation, of course.”

“Ahh, I can do that,” I replied, smirking like a confident idiot. “We’ve done it before.”

“Teleporting yourself, dummy. You know, the thing I’ve been explaining you for the past hour. You did seem to pay more attention today, I knew you would like this spell.”

“Wow, a whole hour just passed by like that? Damn, Einstein was right.”

“Who?”

“No one. So uhh, teleporting . . . myself. I can do that,” I stated, without a hint of confidence behind those words.

“Remember: don’t push yourself at first, aim for a couple of feet and you should be fine. Also, don’t forget about quantum leaks!”

I stepped in the middle of the large study where we were having our sessions and tried to remember what I’d read about the subject. It was a good thing I was always eager about the new stuff so I spent a couple of hours reading through the manuals about the whole self-teleportation thing beforehand.

“Whenever you’re ready,” Twilight said, standing on the edge of the room, leaving me enough space to try out the new spell.

I focused on the steps I needed to go through and visualized my destination, which was several feet in front of me, right in the center of a small carpet. I charged my magic around my body and suddenly started hearing a strange, high pitch noise, which was my mark. With one last surge of energy I zapped myself, from the tip of my horn down to the rest the body, evaporating my own molecules into thin air, leaving blue sparkles falling softly to the ground.

“Blink, shield yorse-” a voice echoed in my ears.

When I opened my eyes I immediately noticed I wasn’t at all where I should be. My heart stopped for a moment when I realized I was floating in a cold, dark void. I looked around everywhere but couldn’t see any light source. I started panting and my heart was beating out of my chest.

“Noo, What the hell have I done? Don’t tell me-”

“So you’re here again,” a deep voice rang from everywhere around me.

“Fuck. Not this shit again!”

I was already freaking out, waving my hooves, trying to get some sort of control. It was all in vain, as my body kept floating in the same direction.

“You should not be here, not like this anyway,” the voice continued, somewhat angered. “The price of your foolishness should be true death. Fortunately for you, I cannot enforce that rule . . . for now.”

“Look, I just tried a spell. I don’t know what went wrong! It should have-”

“Silence! Go back to your world and never return in this place unless you mean it . . .”

A loud noise and a powerful light filled the place where I was floating towards. For a brief moment I could see a dark silhouette in the distance and then my eyes closed due to the sheer brightness. Next, I felt myself falling down. Before I could react though, my body crashed against a solid surface, blowing the air out of my chest.

“Blink!” Twilight’s voice suddenly filled my ears. “Blink, please move Blink, please!” she kept shouting as I started feeling her grabbing me and shaking furiously.

“I’m fine, I think . . .” I let out, rolling on my back and slowly opening my eyes. My head was pounding like I was hit by a train.

“Thank Celestia, I thought you died! I searched for you everywhere around, I didn’t want to believe you will end up here.”

Looking around the room I noticed I was still in her study, right on the carpet I was aiming to teleport on.

“I don’t get it. I’m here, Twilight, I just zapped from there to here, right?” I asked, hoping the whole previous encounter had somehow taken place in my head.

“No Blink, you- you teleported over ten minutes ago.”

“What?” I couldn’t believe that, but then again she looked so scared, something had apparently freaked her out.

“You forgot to shield yourself against quantum leaks. I’ve told you so many times how important that is!”

“I- I’m sorry,” I said, slightly embarrassed.

I should have paid more attention to her and not her damn mane.

“You always need to do that right before teleporting or else you end up in a transitional state that theoretically should have killed you. Where were you, anyway?” Twilight asked, curious.

“I just-” the answer got stuck in my throat. “Nowhere, I think. I was here a few seconds ago.”

The lie was painful on me but I was just too afraid to tell the truth, the whole truth. Twilight simply sighed, still nervous.

“You scared me so much Blink, I shouldn’t have rushed with your training.”

“But-”

“No buts, do you have any idea how many ponies lost their lives figuring this thing out? The first unicorns that researched the spell didn’t have enough knowledge of the whole process or the physics behind it. All of them that tried teleporting like you just did, without shielding, ended up at their destination, but dead.”

“I’m sorry, Twilight, I really am. I promise I’ll take better care next time.”

My mind was a mess, trying to handle both the lie and the disturbing history behind that spell. Things were definitely not as simple as I had imagined them to be weeks ago, but somehow, luck was still on my side.

We decided to end the training early and eat up the snacks in the living room. Twilight and I quietly enjoyed the minted daisies, and Spike was gobbling up the soy jerky with one hand while holding a book with the other.

“Hey Spike, what are you reading?” I asked the dragon, from the sofa.

“Just a book about dragons and growing up,” he idly replied, stuffing more jerky in his mouth. “By the way Twi, the book says I’m due in about two months,” he added.

“You-re . . . due? For what?” I wondered.

“Spike’s going through his first growth spurt, which means that by the end of it, his wings will start growing. It takes about a week or so for a dragon to grow them and from then on, they will keep up with the growth.”

“That’s awesome Spike,” I admitted.

“Sure, can’t wait . . .” he said, somehow sarcastically. “I’m going to finish this in my room, see ya guys later.”

He got up from the floor, where he had been relaxing the whole time, and went to his room, holding the book under his arm and the bag of jerky in the other.

“Did I say something wrong?” I asked Twilight.

She stopped eating and let out a sigh.

“It’s because he’s afraid. I’m afraid for him as well. When young dragons get their wings they’re still with their mother. The whole process is quite painful, as the wing’s bone structure has to grow through his back skin. The mother usually stays with their young ones during the whole week and keeps them warm and safe.”

“So you’re going to help by being there for him as a mother?”

“I’ll do everything I can, yes. I’m just afraid because there have been no reports of any dragons surviving their first growth spurt on their own.”

“I see. If there’s anything you’ll need, don’t hesitate to ask me.”

“Thanks,” the mare responded, smiling. “By the way, I just remembered Applejack asked me to help her out today; something about fixing the barn . . . again. Is it too much if I asked you to help her? I really have some catching up to do on one of my writings and you could use the extra training.”

“But I’m already using magic at work,” I complained.

“Well that’s perfect! The more, the better. Plus, socializing will help. You don’t talk to anypony else except me and Spike.”

“All right, when do I need to be at her farm?”

“Hmm actually, right now!” she said, starting to panic as she looked at a clock. “Hurry up, you’ll be late. Actually, wait. I can help.”

“Don’t tell me-”

“Yes, but I’ll do it the proper way,” she assured me.

“Okay,” I said, getting off the couch.

Her horn started to glow and I was immediately engulfed in a purple, translucent ball. Then, three rings of white light formed along the edges of the sphere and started rotating, each alongside a different axis.

“Uhm Twilight, are you sure this is how-”

“It’s a long range teleportation of another organic creature spell; I need to charge the quantum field first,” she interrupted me while focusing on the spell.

The rings were spinning faster and faster and I started hearing that high pitch sound that meant I was about to go.

“Also, the first time you are teleported by someone else you might feel a little-”

The loud sound made it impossible to hear her anymore, and the rings were spinning so fast I had to shut my eyes from the brightness inside the sphere.

With a loud, deep thud, I felt myself falling down through the floor. I opened my eyes only to find out I was in the middle of an apple orchard with the high pitch sound still ringing in my ears.

“Wow that was amaz-”

I felt a sudden pain in the stomach and rushed to a nearby tree where I threw up. My head was still spinning and the aftertaste was horrible.

“Thanks for the notice, Twilight,” I muttered, wiping my muzzle with a hoof. “Now where the hell am I?”

I looked around the plantation and noticed a large house in the distance. I quickly made my way towards it and soon spotted a hulky, red stallion dragging a large wood beam near a barn. Out of the barn came Applejack, who immediately noticed me.

“Hey there uhm Blink, was it?” She greeted.

“Yea, that would be me. Twilight said you needed some help and she’s kind of busy, so here I am.”

“Hey there,” the red stallion I saw earlier said, coming out of the barn.

“What’s up? You must be Big Mac, Applejack’s brother, right?” I returned the greetings.

“Eeyup.”

“There’re just a couple of beams that need lifting up,” Applejack added. “I thought some unicorn magic might help us since we’re in the middle of apple-bucking season and all.”

“Well, we’d better hurry then.”

We quickly got to it, Applejack securing all the beams that were lying on the ground inside the barn. Using a pulley which was tied to the roof, we lifted the wooden poles one by one, AJ and Big Mac pulling them up while I used my magic to accelerate the process. Once up, it was up to me to prop them into place.

“So, how’s life in Ponyville for ya so far?” Applejack asked during a small break, still panting from the effort.

“It’s been pretty nice, can’t complain. Everyone’s been welcoming and I’m making some good progress with my magic training.”

“Ain’t that nice,” she added, giving me a quick, strange glimpse.

Since we started working on the barn Applejack had been behaving a little awkward, like she was expecting something, shooting me awkward glances every now and then. She left to bring something to drink, returning after a few minutes with a tray of refreshments balanced on her back. My nose immediately picked up the smell of apple juice, one of my favorite drinks back home.

“Here ya go, you must be thirsty after all that working,” she said, putting the tray down.

“Thanks!” I grabbed a glass and swiftly emptied it, enjoying the amazing taste of freshly made juice. I let out a deep sigh, my thirst finally quenched, and rested on top of a small hay stack. Two more beams and it would all be finished.

“Say Blink, did you enjoy the drink?” AJ suddenly asked.

“Sure, I love apple juice, reminds me of my childhood.” I casually responded without a second thought.

“Oh, so ya started to remember things?” the orange earth pony asked again.

“Damn it.” My eyes were closed while I was resting, so she couldn’t notice my sudden pupil dilation as I realized she was probably onto something. “Okay, let’s turn this around safely.”

“Yea, I mean I think I do. It’s all like small pieces of memory that I sometimes bump into. I like the smells of apples and I also like apple juice, it might be my favorite drink, right?” I asked, trying to seem as honest as possible.

Applejack let out a small sigh and turned to me. I stood up, assuming we were going to finish with the barn.

“Blink, ah know you’re lying,” she said, making me freeze into place. My brain had already started working relentlessly to find a way out of that situation.

How did she find out? Doesn’t matter, what am I going to do now? Play the innocent card? She wouldn’t buy that one, surely.

Right when I was about to open my mouth, she spoke again.

“I don’t know what and why, but ah know you aint telling the truth. And don’t try to get around me anymore, I’m the element of honesty, if that rings any bell to ya,” she added, seeing as I was about to do just so: lie some more.

I just stood there, looking down, not knowing what to do. It really didn’t seem like I had any way out of it.

“Applejack, I-”

“Now listen here cuz I’m only gonna tell you this once,” she started, getting closer to me. Her tone was slightly lower, but kept its gravity, “I can’t force you to be honest but you seem like a nice colt from what Twilight’s been talking about ya. However if you wanna be friends with us, you’ll have to start being honest about yourself. I don’t want to hear you’ve hurt any of my friend’s feelings by lying to them. And I also don’t wanna hear you hurtin’ because of something you’ve been hiding from us. Whatever it is, we can help. Do you understand?”

I slowly nodded and it took all of my courage to look the orange mare in the eyes.

“Yea, I’ll do that. I’ll start being honest,” I nervously said.

“Now don’t worry about it anymore sugar cube, I trust ya’ll be doing the right thing. Now help me lift this last beam so we can finish repairin’ this old gal.”

We promptly raised the last wooden pole and I nudged it into place with my magic. Once everything was done it was time for me to go home. The sun had already begun its descent, throwing the last rays of bright light over Equestria. Applejack insisted on filling my saddlebag with as many apples as she could, a token of her appreciation for my help.

I left the farm and her last words were about following the path of honesty, as good things would come across my way. As I walked back home, heading through the center of Ponyville, I contemplated on AJ’s words and all that had happened that day. I didn’t want to build my life there on lies, and I just wished things were a little less complicated. One thing was certain: I had to come out with everything, as hard as it might have seemed.

“Heh, with some luck maybe they’ll just think I’m crazy or something,” I mused to myself, approaching the library.

I reached the huge tree house and knocked at the door a couple of times. Spike opened it, letting me in.

“Hey big guy, how was work at the farm?” the dragon greeted me.

“Interesting, to say the least.”

“So you like fixing up barns, cool. Maybe you should get a job as a construction worker or something,” he teased.

“Hey Blink!” Twilight almost shouted from the small kitchen, right before I was about to give Spike a comeback.

“Uhm, hey Twilight.” My voice softened as soon as she entered the living room with her usual big smile on her face.

“I’ll leave you two lovebirds alone,” the dragon said, rolling his eyes and going to his room. Fortunately for me, Twilight didn’t hear him.

“I’m gonna get back at you Spike. One of these days,” I muttered under my breath.

“So, did everything go all right with Applejack? Did you guys fix the barn?” Twilight inquired, nodding towards the couch.

We each took a seat and I relaxed, letting out a yawn. “Yea, there was quite a lot of lifting, but we managed,” I boasted with a grin.

“Also I’m sorry for not giving you a warning about the side effects before teleporting you like that. Were you ok?”

“Well I was a little sick, but I’m all right now. Nice spell by the way.”

I then recalled throwing up what was practically my only meal of the day. I was getting quite hungry on the road back but somehow that feeling had magically disappeared since seeing Twilight again.

And then it hit me. The way I blushed every time I would see her, almost being killed by not paying attention at what she was actually teaching me earlier that day, lack of hunger and those dreams that one time. I was-

“. . . an idiot,” I slowly whispered to myself, Twilight not noticing it.

I can’t do this . . . can I? I mean I want to, she’s nice and everything but it would make things so much more complicated.

The mare next to me was going on about the spell which she performed, while my mind was silently yet violently battling with my heart.

Just hormones. Self-control, it’s easy. I can’t screw this up. I mustn’t . . . Ahh buck it!

In a split second decision, in which I felt like a whole galaxy of opportunities was born with one great big bang, followed by silence and aftermath, my mind was suddenly set.

“Hey, Twilight,” I started, conveniently right after she finished what was clearly a monologue.

“Yes?” she asked back, her big purple eyes looking straight at me, making what I was about to say feel even more uncomfortable.

“I was wondering if you would uhm . . .” My mouth remained opened but no words came out. In my mind I was beating myself up for not having enough courage to ask that rather simple question.

“If I would what?” She cocked her head, still smiling, amused by my stammering.

“If you would like to go out with me,” the words shot out of my mouth, as I felt my heart pounding in my chest. I tried to put up a convincing smile, although my eyes betrayed my nervousness.

“Well sure, Blink!” she immediately answered.

My heart almost jumped from my chest, as I felt like the luckiest stallion -and man- alive.

“We could go outside in the garden or on my balcony, if you want to get some fresh air right now,” she added with a smile, not aware of the actual meaning of my question.

What the actual fuck . . . I’ve heard of being socially awkward but this is just-

“Uhm what I meant was, if you would like to go out . . . with me,” I corrected myself.

She looked at me, a puzzled expression on her face. And then her eyes widened as she finally realized what I had asked her.

“Ohh, you mean going out like- a date?”

“Yea, pretty much. I mean, I think you’re really smart and intelligent and-”

“Blink, stop,” she interrupted me, her smile now gone. “Listen, you’re a nice colt and have a great talent for magic-”

“You got to be kidding me. This can’t be happening. Why?” My mind felt like a total wreck as she started her rejection speech.

“…but I don’t think it would be appropriate to go in that direction. I mean I’m like your tutor and I don’t really-” she stammered, her eyes looking everywhere as if in search of a reason.

“She’s lying; she’s trying to find reasons, but why?” I fed myself that thought in a desperate attempt to preserve my emotional stability. I didn’t take defeats too well, especially rejections like those.

I was raised in the belief that once you have your mind on something, you can achieve it through hard work and determination, and there is nothing and no one that could stop you. But that seemed like a sure victory, at least the first date thing, so I never even thought of not getting at least a chance.

“So we could still be friends, right?” she finished, making me snap back to reality. I had missed a part of her explanation, but liked to think that it was just the usual crap someone feeds you: “But we’re still okay… “, “it’s actually me, not you...”

“Yea, sure,” I said with a fake smile.

“I’m glad you understand.” She looked at me, somehow regretfully, her smile having returned even if just for sympathy.

“Yea so, I think I should head off. Kinda’ late and had a busy day,” I stated, getting off the couch and heading towards the door.

“Alright, are you sure you’re fine?” Twilight asked again, following me.

“Yep, I’m okay. No hard feelings. Well, good night then, see you next week for the next training, right?”

“Indeed, we’ll get into transformations, you’ll love it!”

I grimaced at her last words but fortunately she didn’t notice it, as I was going through the front door, into the night.

“Good night!” she wished me.

“Good night.”

I heard the door closing and let out a huge sigh, a mixture of pain and anger forming up inside my heart. I looked towards my home but decided it was too much to walk so I closed my eyes and started concentrating. Engulfing myself in a blue energy shield, I zapped myself again and disappeared into the night, leaving a dark trail of smoke behind.

Moments later I found myself right near the small lake in front of my house.

“Well, at least that worked tonight . . .”

I looked at the bright full moon reflecting itself on the surface of the water, and images of a perfect night by the lake with someone special came into mind. It only deepened my sorrow.

*** *** ***

Back at the library, Twilight was lying on the sofa, her eyes lost in the ceiling and her face down. Spike walked in, having heard the conversation from his room. The acoustics in that tree house were too good, so he heard everything even if he didn’t like snooping on ponies.

“Hey Twi. You okay?” He climbed on a sofa near Twilight’s, his voice softer than usual.

“I’m fine, Spike,” she quickly said, turning away.

“Why did you turn him down?” he bluntly asked. Spike didn’t like to interfere with Twilight’s personal life, uneventful as it was, but like her parents, he too had started to worry for her.

The lavender mare frowned at him and opened her mouth to protest but then closed it, a pained expression on her face. Lifting herself up from the sofa, she trotted to the main study. From there she climbed up onto the balcony, the sudden cold air of the night brushing against her coat. Looking up at the beautiful full moon, Twilight let out another sigh, images of a wonderful night with someone special coming into her mind as well. She shook her head, expelling those thoughts away and trotted back into the study.

“I’m sorry Blink . . . I just don’t . . .” Twilight paused, trying to rethink everything all over again, but as much as she wanted, the facts were still the same.

“-I just can’t trust you,” she said to herself, her mind putting all the pieces together. That was the problem: there were too few pieces to make a clear image.

“You had no head injuries when I found you, I’m sure of that, and absolutely no traces of magic that could have caused your memory loss.”

She paused again, looking on the blackboard in the back of the study room, where she had spent the rest of the day after Blink left to help Applejack. The board was filled with advanced equations, thorough calculations and everything had been double checked. It was the final scientific evidence that made her realize something Applejack noticed on a whim: someone had intentionally not been honest to her.

A final result written on the chalkboard was underlined several times.

“You told me those ten minutes you were trapped in that transitional state felt to you like a couple of moments. But given your lack of shielding and distance travelled, it should have been exactly sixty four point seven seconds in which you were perfectly conscious . . . what did you do all that time? More importantly, why would you hide it from me?”

*** *** ***

Back at the little house by the lake, the door swung open, engulfed in a blue aura. I stepped inside, my head hung low. The room was dark and I instinctively reached for a light switch that wasn’t there. A sharp pain surged through my foreleg. I then remembered the knife I left imbedded in the wall.

“Damn piece of shit!” I let out between my teeth, feeling my anger spilling out alongside the blood from my left hoof.

Remembering I had a light lamp in the bedroom, I made my way there. Walking through the darkness, I smashed my hoof against the table that was in the middle of the living room. The pain wasn’t as intense as the cut in my hoof but it was the last drop for the day.

With eyes watering from both the physical and the emotional pain, my horn burst in a bright blue light, and the table flew across the room. With the fading light from my spell I managed to make my way to the bedroom, where I lit up some candles and the lamp. Raven cocked her head at the sight of me, probably having heard the commotion in the kitchen-dining room.

As it turned out, the wound was superficial but painful nonetheless. This occasion called for trying a simple mending spell that would have healed the cut completely. After having a go at it, I managed only to close the cut and stop the bleeding, forming a long scar underneath my fur. I was definitely not in a mental state to perform a healing spell right, nor did I have the magic inclination for such spells, so I had to settle for that. Exhausted on all levels, I tossed myself onto the bed and let out another deep sigh, rubbing my eyes with my hooves.

“It’s all right . . . life’s still goes on,” I assured myself, falling asleep.

Outside, a cold breeze brought about a lurking shadow by the small house. Discord approached the window and peered inside, a devilish smirk on his face.

“Sweet dreams, little pony,” he hissed between his fangs.

*** *** ***

I was basking in the light and warmth of the midday sun, colorful butterflies dancing in the wind. A large green field extended in front of me and a forest stretched behind me. It seemed strangely familiar, similar to the surrounding area near the lake house, but there were no sign of other ponies around; or of Ponyville for that matter.

My ears picked up a high pitch cry somewhere behind me. I turned around and noticed nothing but the thick line of trees stretching endlessly from one side of the horizon to the other. I approached the forest, drawn by the muffled cry. As I entered the woodland, the air suddenly dropped in temperature and I paused for a few moments. Something was definitely wrong with that place; everything felt alien and unnatural. However I carried on, trying to locate the source of the sound, as if it was the only thing I could focus on.

I noticed a small shack hidden behind a group of thick trees. It seemed that inside was the source of the strange cry that somehow resembled the call of a bird. I pushed the door aside and my eyes fell on a small creature curled up into a corner. As I approached it, the animal raised its head at me, a curious expression on her face. It was a deer, most likely the source of the strange cry. Had it been parted from her mother, and why was it there, of all places?

The ground suddenly trembled, a distant roar piercing the air of the silent forest. I looked outside, and between the dense tree line I noticed a large dark shape quickly heading towards my direction, the ground shaking under its feet.

What the . . .

Turning to flee, I immediately remembered the poor deer. I let out a grunt, knowing I was probably going to regret my decision. I levitated the deer on my back, the poor creature bucking the air under her, frightened by the noises of the approaching monster.

I started galloping deeper into the forest, thinking that going into the clear would have been suicide. The beast was quickly gaining on us, letting out loud roars as it cut through the thick foliage like butter in its rampage. The added weight of the woodland creature on my back was wearing me out, and soon I felt like I would collapse to the ground from the fatigue. I had to do something fast or else that would have been the end of us.

A small cave got my attention as I maneuvered between the trees, trying to lose whatever was chasing us. The hollow was too small and shallow to provide enough cover for both of us, but an idea popped through my head. I hurried inside and placed the young deer down, then quickly got out. I pulled at the bushes nearby and placed them by the entrance, masking it.

“Don’t move little thing, I’ll come back for you.” I hoped it would not make any sounds before I could get the chaser’s attention.

My horn glowed brighter as I started galloping in the opposite direction. My plan had worked and the light was catching the beast’s attention. But even without the deer on my back I was soon panting hard, my heart doing its best to keep up. Right before deciding to turn around to face the approaching menace, a small house appeared in front of me, in a clearing. I gasped and slowed down, realizing it looked a lot like my home by the lake. In fact it was exactly that house.

The sounds from behind quickly snapped me out of it and I ran inside, thinking about my next move. The beast seemed large enough not to be challenged by mere wooden walls.

I locked the door of my room and slowly stepped back with my horn glowing bright, waiting for the imminent breach. My vision darkened, panic quickly sweeping through my mind. Loud bangs at the front door echoed inside my head. It was coming for me. The whole world plunged into darkness . . .

I woke up standing in my bead, cold sweat pouring down my face.

“A drea-”

THUD THUD THUD!

There was actually someone banging at my door. All my muscles tensed up, the dream still fresh in my mind. As I got out from the bed, a loud splintering noise filled the room outside mine.

“There!” a voice rang from the living room.

“Who the fuck-” was everything I managed to say before my bedroom door burst open, several ponies standing in the doorway. They looked exactly like guards from Canterlot, one of them being a unicorn. Their uniform was a golden armor plate and helmet, and sword hanging at their side; except for the unicorn, which apparently was unarmed.

“You are under arrest! Surrender now and you will not be harmed!” one of the guards yelled.

“What, why?”

The guards poured into the room, surrounding me. Instinctively, my horn lit up, channeling magic.

“He’s resisting, put him down!” their captain ordered.

A large stallion slammed me into the wall, pinning me. I quickly reacted, hitting him with my hoof right in his neck, between the armor. Shoving the guard away from me and getting some distance between us, I threw him into the opposite wall with my magic. Raven was awake and did not seem to like the new guests, scraping one of them in the face with her claws.

Two other guards surrounded me, blocking my way. I suddenly started choking, feeling a tight grip on my neck. The unicorn’s horn was glowing, his magic pinning me to the wall by my neck, immobilizing me.

“Quickly, shackle him!” he barked. Behind him, four other guards were ready to intervene.

I was panicking, desperately trying to teleport myself out of the room, but with no results. The unicorn’s magic grip was probably canceling my attempts to get out as well. The two guards held my forelegs, locking them in tight, metal binds. I was still struggling to get air while pinned to the wall, when I started focusing on a central point in the middle of the room, pouring all of my magic into that location. With only a light sizzle to warn of my intentions, the air around that point instantly expanded, creating a shockwave. Everyone inside the room was thrown to the floor or into the walls, the window’s glass shattering from the pressure.

I felt the magic grip releasing me and crashed to the floor, panting for air.

“Raven get out!” I shouted at the bird, pointing at the broken window. She cawed in protest but followed my order, flying out. Next, it was my turn to leave but the guards got up all too quick, one of them already slamming me back to the wall.

“The hell’s your problem? I haven’t done anything!” I let out, while the other guards finally managed to bind all my hooves.

The other unicorn began channeling a spell targeting my horn, effectively blocking any of my attempts to use magic. I was caught; there was no way out of it. The guards dragged me across the room, and then out of the house. My chest hurt from the last bashing, and I knew for sure that one of my ribs was at least cracked. Outside the house was a carriage pulled by four pegasus, with bars of steel instead of window blinds.

I was thrown inside, the door shutting close behind me, a metal click telling me it had also been locked. I coughed blood on the floor, my chest radiating with pain. The carriage took flight, soon leaving Ponyville behind. From what I could tell, we were heading towards Canterlot.

The journey barely took more than twenty minutes, and the large capital city soon stretched beneath the pegasus-pulled carriage I was in. We landed on a platform that overhung a dark building at the far edge of the city, right near the mountain wall.

A couple of stallions were waiting outside and as soon as the carriage touched the ground, they unlocked the door. One of them, a unicorn, quickly incapacitated my magic while the other dragged me out.

The building where they were taking me in looked like an old castle tower, several armored stallions patrolling along the perimeter. It was made entirely out of rock, dark and tainted by the years. Inside, I was thrown in an empty room, an unarmored stallion following the guards. He looked old, his dark mane riddled with white strands of hair. What struck me most was his cutie mark, a blindfolded mare holding a balance. They were actually police ponies and somehow I’ve done something to upset them.

“Midnight Blink,” the pony said, looking at me with a pair of cold eyes. “Is that your name?”

“Yes-” I barely responded.

“Where is the filly? What have you done to her?” he asked.

“Filly . . . what? I haven’t done anything to anyone! This has to be a mistake!”

“Lies! Tell me what happened to her!” the police pony snapped.

Ironically, that time I was not lying at all, but neither did I have any idea what that stallion was talking about.

“I told you, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Those guards broke into my house while I was sleeping and brought me here! Yesterday I helped a friend in Ponyville, you can ask them if you don’t believe me.”

“Yesterday, huh?” he growled at me. “How about last night? There are several witnesses that saw you foalnaping a young filly named Cream Puff right from her house! We found a bloody knife in your house and signs of violence and struggle.”

My heart suddenly stopped. The knife in which I cut myself, the table I threw in my rage after Twilight’s rejection, the filly that I help reunite with her mother. It was impossible, I did nothing wrong; how could I have taken her in the middle of the night? I was sure I was sleeping the whole time.

The door of the interrogation room swung open, a worried stallion looking up at the pony questioning me.

“Sir, we have news from Ponyville.”

“In Celestia’s name, tell me that you found the missing foal?”

“No sir, there’s another issue there. We might need to re-assign the guards from this station.”

The old stallion huffed, clearly not happy about the new development.

“All right,” he started, “chain this one and throw him into a cell. I need to see what this is all about,” he ordered the guard ponies standing by the door.

He then trotted out of the room while the guards pulled on my hooves. The unicorn levitated a thick collar over my head and rested it on the base of my shoulders.

“Stay still or it will hurt more,” he hissed.

I didn’t notice at first because of the room’s poor illumination, but the collar had long silver needles on it. The unicorn guard then fixed the strange band around the base of my neck and engulfed the thin rods in his magic. To my great horror, they started sinking in, the sharp pain jolting through my body.

“What the hell are you doing to me?” I screamed out.

“You’ve resisted arrest and are suspected of murder. Your hooves will be bound in tight cuffs and your magic will be incapacitated by this collar. Move around too much and you can get permanent paralysis, or worse. I wouldn’t try anything if I were you, chap.”

The spikes plunged into my neck a couple of centimeters while the other guard tightened the rest of my shackles. The unicorn then floated me out of the room and made his way downstairs, two rows of cells stretching into a seemingly endless dark hallway. He gently let me down in a one of the cells and then locked the door.

As soon as he left, I tried focusing my magic to tear apart the shackles, ignoring everything the unicorn told me. I wasn’t going to just let myself captured for something I didn’t do and there was also the issue in Ponyville that caught my attention. I was in a prison facility, that was clear enough, but if they needed to relocate some of its guards because of what was happening back in Ponyville, it meant that something was wrong. What if something really bad was happening there? My thoughts immediately went to Twilight and her friends.

Unfortunately, as I tried to focus, more pain seared from my neck where the collar’s needles dug in. The guard didn’t lie: it really incapacitated my magic. I crashed to the floor, exhausted. No matter how much magic I tried to conjure from my internal magic field, it all dissipated through those damn needles stuck in my neck. At least they were thin enough not to cause a lot of pain.

I heard commotion coming from outside and slowly approached the hole in the wall that served as the cell’s window. Guards were trotting all around near the station, heading out into the city, leaving just a few to actually guard the prison tower. The sun was now shining brightly across the city, but something about it seemed off. Soon enough, the large disk of light started turning reddish.

“I need to get out of here. Fast.”

My hooves were sore from the tight shackles and the anti-magic collar drew the very essence of my powers out of my body. I nickered in frustration, but somehow found a trace of determination buried deep inside.

*** *** ***

The entire room trembled, a scared mare clutching desperately to her stallion. After moments of deathly silence, one of the room’s walls exploded into millions of splinters, the furniture near it flying everywhere around. The sun’s strange light poured inside the room, illuminating the settling dust as it passed through it.

A draconic figure entered through the newly created hole, its body twisted and unnatural, with multiple body parts from different creatures. The evil being looked at the two frightened ponies with bloodshot eyes filled with only one desire: revenge.

The stallion stood his ground, in a protective stance. He would not let anything happen to his wife. Discord smirked and swung his claws at the two of them, drawing enough force to kill. A purple wall of magic suddenly appeared between him and his victims, stopping his attack short. Outside in the street, Twilight watched him in shock, but was determined not to let anypony get hurt.

“Discord, what are you doing here?”

“Oh, well if it isn’t my old, old friend, Twilight Sparkle,” the creature let out, turning from the couple, now focusing all his attention at the purple unicorn in front of him.

“How did you get back?” she demanded, a little nervous at the sight of an old enemy slightly larger than she remembered.

“Well Twilight, I can only say that I appreciate your hospitality towards complete strangers. I must thank you for having shown that colt around the castle’s gardens. His presence was so . . . inspiring.”

“No…” Twilight’s heart shrunk. “It can’t be.”

“Ooow, but it is. The chaos I’ve seen in his soul, the violence of his past. It was so alien, but felt so good and most of all, it felt powerful,” Discord said in a low voice.

Panic was settling all around Ponyville, its citizens galloping away from the city center in fear and terror. They have never seen a twilight sun in the middle of the day but they’ve seen Discord. They’ve seen Equestria’s old enemy appearing from the Everfree forest, blasting homes, carriages and stands in his way with his evil magic. He wanted to draw the attention of six special ponies; and it worked, Twilight Sparkle being the first to confront him.

“Last time I came here I intended to make Ponyville the capital city of chaos. But now I realize I don’t just want to cause harmless disarray anymore. No, no, thanks to your friend, who I made sure is not here with us, I now have a fresh couple of ideas,” Discord said, an evil grin on his face.

“So that’s why the guards took him in arrest a few hours ago,” Twilight pondered. “Your evil really has no boundaries, Discord. But it doesn’t matter, we’ve defeated you once, we will do it again!” Twilight shouted at him, more determined than ever.

Her horn shined brightly, but the draconic monster was quicker, teleporting right to her side with a snap of his fingers. He grabbed her by the neck with his talons, leaning his head close to hers.

“Evil? You haven’t seen evil yet,” he whispered to the shocked mare.

Discord then spun around, lifting the unicorn and throwing her towards a home across the street. The mare flew through the air and crashed right through the wooden wall, tearing a hole in it.

“I think. . .” the creature said with a smirk, “I think I’m going to enjoy this new chaos.”

End of chapter 8

PreviousChapters Next