• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 5,321 Views, 95 Comments

Unexpected Roommate. - Ditz



Life was not going well for John, but that changed when a strange visitor became part of his life.

  • ...
16
 95
 5,321

Misreading.


Twilight Sparkle was having the time of her life, she was with her friends on a picnic and she was smiling through it all.

Any day with her friends was a reason to smile.

Pinky was quickly eating away at the sweets with gusto leaving crumbs on her snout... And on the white mare next to her “ ! Slow down dear, the food won’t go away you know?” Rar told her with an annoyed look.

“The food can go away!? I can’t let that happen because if the food goes away we won‘t have more food and if we don‘t have more food this won‘t be a picnic anymore and instead it will the a lie because it isn‘t really a picnic!“ Pinky blurted out looking shocked and began eating faster, causing Rar to roll her eyes.

“Ah' don’t think you should even bother, Rare.” Applejack said with a smirk.

Twilight just laughed at the exchange and looked around searching for ...shy who had been silent during the exchange, as usual, and Rainbow was up on a cloud not far from there, napping, everything was peaceful, and she wouldn’t want it any other way.

“Twilight!” Came a voice from behind her ruining the calm mood, she quickly turned her head to find her faithful assistant Spike running towards her.

“Oh, what is it Spike?” Asked Twilight with a quizzical look on her face.

“DON’T, STOP ME NOW! I’M HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME, I’M HAVING A BALL!” Said Spike leaving Twilight utterly confused at her assistants random outburst.

~~~~~

“WOAH!” Twilight cried out loud, rolling to the side and falling, the expected pain that is usually associated with hitting the floor to come, but oddly, it never did.

“Ugh…” a pained groan reached her ears. 'Where is the groan coming from?' she wondered, noticing what she was now sitting on.

“BEFF DA FUK OFF FEE!” came a muffled call, making her quickly jump on the bed, now noticing that she had fallen on John.

“What the hell Twilight!?” John hissed at her angrily, quickly getting on his feet.

“I-I’m sorry, I fell off the bed, I was having an… Odd dream.” She said finishing awkwardly, vaguely remembering Spike with an odd voice. "What is that?” Twilight asked, noticing John's phone, unleashing the music for the pair to hear.

“Oh, that’s called a cell phone, it can do things,” John bluntly answered as he stopped the voice on the cell phone.

“O-Ok” Twilight said. slightly hurt by his outburst.

“Oh, look, sorry, I’m not a morning person, it also doesn’t help that I had a 200 pound pony land on me, not that I'm saying you are fat or anything!” John explained with a pained look in his face. “Look, my back is killing me, and...”

As John continued his rambles, Twilight looked down at the floor, a feeling of guilt washing over her. A feeling that she wanted to get rid of by helping him. “I’ll make you feel better!"

"Excuse me?" John asked with discomfort, making Twilight roll her eyes.

"Just lay face-down and I’ll do the rest!” she said with a smile, and with some hesitance, John agreed with a nod.

Looking through her head she made a few choice words to tell him as she slowly put a hoof on his back to 'ease' him into it, a good advice she had gotten from... Her shy friend, was to let the patient feel at ease. “Don’t worry, I will make your pain go away.”

This poor choice of words caused John to turn his face and look at her in horror.

Just as quickly as he looked, Twilight was pushed aside as John quickly got up. “IMGONNAGOTOTHELIBRARYTOGETYOUBOOKSOKDONTDOANYTHINGKTHANKSBYE” John said rapidly, a blur now gone, leaving Twilight in a confused mess.

"... Did I say something wrong?"

John ran as fast as his feet could take him, making his way out to the street, and finally, stopping when he turned a corner and felt himself breathing at a ragged pace, his mind constantly going back to what had just happened.

-----------

“Just lay face-down and I’ll do the rest!” Twilight said with a smile.

John nodded reluctantly, but allowed himself some optimism. 'It can't be that bad, right?' and laid facedown on the bed, which soon led to the feel of Twilight’s hoof touching his back softly, the unexpected words reaching his ears.

“Don’t worry, I will make your pain go away,” John shivered at the way the words had been said, reminding him a lot of the way people say them in “one of those videos” as the person there tried to “relieve their pain”.

At that moment, he had turned to meet her, noticing her glowing horn, and at that very frame of second, noticing Twilight's face giving him a look that he would only ever see in his nightmares.

That’s all he needed to grab everything and bolt out the door trying to get as far away from Twilight as he possibly could.

----------

In hindsight, he possibly, and more than likely might have been slightly overreacting to the situation, and his nerves might have been playing with him, maybe she was just blinking at the moment he turned.

'Now I need to apologize to her,' he thought as he neared the library, but quickly dismissed the idea, he would get a free pass with the books he was taking to her.

John searched the library for a while, coming into contact with books that he would never touch otherwise, until finally coming to the conclusion that taking books about things like 'physics' might not be the best course of action -especially for a pony whose main method of 'technology' might be magic and whose rules might be infinitively different to his own- and instead opting for some simpler books that he himself could read through.

He quickly made his way to the 'fiction' section, memories of school days coming to mind as he picked a couple books, as well as an extra book for himself. Taking the books back, he checked them out and was on his way to leave... That is until he came into contact with a certain familiar face.

“Oh, hey John!” called out the girl in front of him, approaching him at a fast rate.

He looked at her for a few seconds before replying “Hi” 'I win prize for most unoriginal way to begin a conversation.'

“I didn’t know you read,” she commented, noting the pile of books inside John's bag.

“I do, um, once in a while,” he said, trying to add to the conversation.

“So, what do you like to read?“ she asked with curiosity.

“Ah, just stuff.“ John replied nonchalantly, attempting to hide the books, specifically a book he brought for himself.

They stood there for a few seconds awkwardly smiling at each other before she broke the conversation. “Well… See ya later!” She said leaving him standing by himself.

'Smooth move Casanova,' he thought, both in frustration and relief, leaving the library with mixed feelings.

After an uneventful trip back, he made his way inside his home and into the room, a feeling of dread seeping into him for no real reason. Shrugging it off, he closed the door and looked at the room, it looked… Clean -except the area with his electronics, curiously- surprised, he turned to Twilight, who simply laid on the bed, asleep, a peaceful look on her face. John couldn't help but bring out a smile.

“Twilight, you didn’t have to do this,” he muttered under his breath, putting the books down closely for her to read later.

'She obviously did this to try to apologize, maybe she isn’t as bad as I thought, and I have to admit, she looks so innocent when she sleeps,' He thought looking at Twilight as he laid back on the empty spot in the bed with a pair of headphones, the idea of apologizing in return strongly ingrained into his head at that moment.

Author's Note:

Notes 6
The library scene was actually based on one of my real-life occurrences, it went as awkward as that.

The girl in this case now being my ex... Insert no girlfriend memes and whatnot here.