• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 5,318 Views, 95 Comments

Unexpected Roommate. - Ditz



Life was not going well for John, but that changed when a strange visitor became part of his life.

  • ...
16
 95
 5,318

Beginning of The End.


“Be careful, it hurts!” Twilight moaned angrily."Hold on!"

She shifted around, placing herself in different positions, trying to find the most comfortable way to put herself, she had never thought that she would find herself in that sort of situation, much less so on a different world.

“Let me see.” John groaned, grabbing Twilight‘s hind legs, trying to place her into a better position.

“Stop, hold on!” she groaned loudly moving them herself but not making much progress.

“Quiet!” Not too loud! You’ll wake up my aunt and uncle!” John hushed. Twilight sighed, cursing her luck for having John's family be home that one day, despite it all, her excitement to do something different helped ease the annoyance that she was currently going through.

It didn't make matter much less awkward, however.

“Arrgh!” Twilight groaned into a pillow promptly grabbed by her magic.

“Maybe I should find a bigger bag,” responded John with an amusing tone.

They had spend the better part of the past half-hour trying to fit Twilight in one of his traveling bags, this had been John’s ’master plan’ she tried to fit in different positions but some body part always stuck out, and some were just uncomfortable in more ways than one, John threw the bag aside next to a first he had tried using, it laid there, 'wounded' by Twilight’s horn that had torn a hole through it.

“You think so?” She replied with a deadpan look.

"Quiet, you, you still owe me thirty bucks for the first one."

After a few minutes, John came back with a bigger bag, this one seemed much larger, seemingly able to fit her and some extras, something that Twilight was ready to deny at the first opportunity.

“Alright Twi, get in here,” John motioned, and she did as told, making her way inside much more easily and finding a good way to sit. Not soon after, she was being picked up by John and moved downstairs.

“… the car, can I?” she heard John speak and made her body as stiff as possible in order to avoid the outside look of a bag moving by itself.

After what seemed like forever, John moved and made his way outside causing her to breathe in relief. She heard another door open and fell herself be laid on a soft area and soon after, the bag was opened.

“Ok Twilight, it’s your turn.” She nodded in response and set upa spell she had agreed to do that morning, a basic camouflague, but just enough to keep her hidden from outside eyes. Now John sat in the seat ahead with his hands on the wheel, looking reluctant.

“What’s the matter John?” she asked in a hushed tone.

“I didn’t think I was going to do this again.” He gulped.

John wasn’t too keen on driving, he knew how to, the problem was that he was afraid to, after an incident years before, that involved -interestingly enough- pigs and other sort of farm animals, he had sworn off driving, going as far as lying to anyone who asked if he did, not that many asked.

“Alright! I am ready!” John spoke and looked back at the verily visible Twilight, he recalled the lessons and slowly, backed off the driveway and out to what was to him, a kill-zone, full of other cars that had the potential of severely mangling him, but more importantly, Twilight.

At this, he decided to focus and relax himself, he drove around for a bit trying to find a place for them to go. Twilight spend her time quietly looking outside, her eyes inspecting everything and anything, she had even brought some parchment with her and wrote down her thoughts on the area.

“There are so many things here, but aren't there forests in your world? Most things seem to be human-made.” she noticed. He looked outside and mentally agreed with her, there was mostly buildings for small business, and other such places could be seen, trees were there, but it wasn’t what Twilight had asked for.

“I have a place in mind, but it will be a while, would that be okay, ma'am?” he told Twilight before parking on a nearby area and quickly setting up the GPS to a spot outside of town that he had a hunch Twilight would enjoy.

"I don't mind, I'm enjoying the sights," taking her words as confirmation, he drove off.

He felt himself relax the longer he continued, and soon, felt comfortable enough to strike an actual conversation with Twilight.

“Hey, Twilight.”

“Yeah?” she asked, looking up from a piece of scroll on the seat.

“What is that mark on your flank? I know you told me what it was called, but you didn’t really explain what it did.”

Twilight looked ready to give a full explanation, and from the looks of it, she was not going to skip anything.

“A cutie mark is a mark that a pony gets when he or she finds their special talent, this talent could have anything to do with anything, whether that is playing an instrument, bucking apples, racing and many things! In my case, the Cutie Mark I have shows that my one special talent is magic and its many uses.”

John took a moment to absorb everything and then asked something without thinking.

“You think I would have one of those in your world?” Twilight was about to reply but John intervened. “Never mind."

She looked at him with concern but didn’t force the issue.

An hour later, John made a pit stop at what any normal person would call an ‘out of nowhere gas station‘, he knew of it, though, being a place he had been to numerous times before. As soon as John made his way inside he, noticed a familiar face.

“Well, well, if it isn’t M. Night himself,” the guy managing the store simply turned and looked at him with anger at his racist remark, but soon it was replaced with a smile.

“John? Is that really you? It has been long!” he moved from behind the counter and gave him a hug.

“Long time no see, Abjit,John replied, content at seeing an old friend.

“Where have you been? I haven't seen you in years!” he asked this time with a pained look.

“I know, I know, it has been a long time, hasn’t it?” John replied apologetically, memories flashing in his mind.

“Where is Frankie? Is she not with you?” Abjit asked giving the car a look.

John flinched at the question, but felt compelled to answer the question. “She… Passed away 5 years ago.” John replied, turning Abjit’s smile into a frown.

“Oh, I am so sorry, it must have been hard for you,” he said, looking down sadly.

"Thank you, I appreciate it," John replied content.

Abjit gave John another hug and made his way back to the counter to attend him. “Alright, what do you need, just keep in mind that it isn’t free Johnny.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way Abjit," both laughed, and after paying for the gas, buying a few snacks, and bidding his old friend farewell, he made his way back to his vehicle.

“Sure took you a while, everything alright?” she asked with a worried expression on her face.

“Yeah, everything is fine Twilight,” he replied unconvinced in his own answer.

~~~~~

After another hour of driving, they finally reached a clearing he knew well, he stopped in the empty parking area and looked at the back seats to find Twilight asleep, not to mention unbuckled. How did I forget that? John thought and decided he would make her do it on the way back.

“Hey Twi, wake up," he called, she slowly opened her eyes and gave what John could easily put in his mental top ten cutest yawns ever, the top 5 currently occupying 4 of Twilight’s yawns so far, the list was very one sided by that point.

“We are here?” she asked still half-asleep.

“Yes Twi, we are here," he laughed. Without warning, he grabbed her and pulled her out onto the floor.

“Is this safe, John?” she asked worriedly.

“Yes, it is, no one really comes here anymore. Come on.”

He begin walking with Twilight following closely behind. John grinned as they walked.Enjoying the walk as they traded banter back and forth. It hadn't even been ten minutes when they finally made it to an overlooking cliff.

“This place is beautiful!” Twilight exclaimed in amazement, she ran to edge and looked upon the open area, there were trees as far as the eye could see.

“Yeah, it is, haven't been here in five years, actually,” Twilight turned to him with a knowing face, she moved towards John, and gave him a hug that he graciously accepted.

“So, you used to come here a lot?”

“Yeah…With Frankie, we came here every weekend..” he walked to the edge and stood there, thinking of the words he needed to get off his chest, he knew they would be pointless in retrospect, but he felt that he needed to say what he had to. 'Who knows? Maybe she'll hear.Stranger things have happened this week,' he thought, looking back to Twilight.

"Something the matter?"

"You could say that."

"Huh?" he turned without answering, looking at the beautiful scenery once more.

“Hey Frankie, can you believe that it has been five years? I can’t. You know? It was hard without you, I had a horrible time trusting people, I felt that if I got close to anyone, I would be hurt again, of course, not anymore, I found someone, or rather, somepony to trust.”

He motioned Twilight to move closer to him and continued.

“This is Twilight Sparkle, and she is a pony, I know, but you guys would have been great friends, can you believe that it took someoe from another dimension to get me back on track? I sure am pathetic, huh?”

John felt a sharp pain on his foot and instantly looked at Twilight who was currently glaring at him.

“I will have none of that, you hear?” She said with a serious tone on her voice.

“Let me finish... Ouch. See? She keeps me in line!” he half-laughed, and as he continued, he felt the tears slowly forming in his eyes. “I miss you sis… I really do, there is not a single day that you are not on my mind. I love you," by that point, he was sobbing, allowing himself the luxury in the open area.

He managed to calm down soon after, with a tired groan, he laid back on the ground, looking at the now setting sun, Twilight followed suit and laid down beside him, he tried to relax, but for some reason there were other thoughts popping up in his mind

He laid there thinking about everything, he thought of the ‘bad’ treatment he was supposedly given, the lack of friends, the manner which he felt sorry for himself; It all had been brought by himself, and he had finally realized it. At this point, he felt content, finally realizing what he had done. He was now ready to move on, and perhaps, make friends.

'Except for Michael, he is still a dick,' he thought amuzed.

“Thank you, John,” John fell Twilight's nuzzle met his cheek.

“What was that for?” John asked flustered.

“My way of saying thanks for bringing me here, of course," she replied.

They laid there for a few minutes before John spoke again.

“Hey Twilight? Do you think I would have a cutie mark in your world?” John repeated his early question with some concern, he didn’t know why he was asking, but felt that he needed to get that off his chest.

“Of course, John, everyone gets it at some point, even you would have," she replied looking a bit distant, but hearing the words were enough for John.

“Hey, Twi, you sure you ok? You’ve been sounding serious the whole trip," he asked her but only received a nod in response, once again he didn't ask, there was no point in ruining the moment.

They spend the next half an hour laying down on the grass watching the sunset, but soon, the chilly wind begin to hit them causing each to shiver in return, and so, they made their way back to the car.

~~~~~

Twilight was utterly crushed, she had spent most of the night awake, struggling over the decision.

She had felt the worst while at the cliff, but she had managed to hide her hurt from John with difficulty, to her luck, John was far too busy with his own feelings to notice hers.

'I... I can't, I just can't tell him... At least... Not directly,' carefully getting out of bed, she walked to the restroom with parchment and quill on mouth, and with a heavy heart, began the letter.

“Dear John.

I didn’t have the courage to tell you, and I am sorry, but by the time you read this, I will be gone, I will have returned to my world, we both knew this was going to happen and I ask that you don‘t do anything drastic, instead, cherish your new found values, know that you have helped me grow as well and I will miss you, and that I love you, Johnny-boy.

Your dear new sister-of-sorts.

Twilight ‘Twili’ Sparkle.”

Tears were falling as she finished the letter, she didn’t have the courage to write more and decided it was all she needed, she put the note on her satchel for later, and afterwards, went to bed cuddling up to John with the same thought she’d had for the past few days.

“I’m sorry…”

Author's Note:

Notes 12
Basically, a sad chapter setting up the finale... Kinda. Abjit is actually a real person I met in high school, I liked his name, so I put him here. Instant cameo! Also, couldn't think of a better title. Uuugh.

Anyway, almost done reading, good job!