• Published 2nd Jul 2023
  • 2,168 Views, 1,362 Comments

My Little Pony: Nine Elements Book 2 - BlueBioWolf



A continuation of version of Friendship is Magic that has nine Elements of Harmony and Spike being treated with more respect.

  • ...
11
 1,362
 2,168

Chapter 20: Putting Your Hoof Down (S2:E19)

My Little Pony: Nine Elements

Book 2

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Chapter 20: Putting Your Hoof Down

Two days after Cranky moved to Ponyville, Fluttershy rang a bell in her cottage. "Lunch time!" she loudly called out. "Who's hungry?"

Fluttershy’s animal friends who were close by her cottage excitedly ran inside. Animals from as big as full-grown bears to as small as baby mice ate the delicious animal-friendly foods that Fluttershy provided for them. Though things got a bit chaotic as some animals scrambled to eat all they could, even pouring food from a kibble bag straight into their open mouths. Fluttershy hastened to help things get back into order, giggling happily knowing the antics of her animal friends. Luckily, she had plenty of food for all of them.

But, there was one animal who had yet to be fed and he was making this fact known in no uncertain terms. Fluttershy spun around and confronted Angel, her pet bunny. "What is it, Angel? I'll make your salad in a moment."

Angel glared at Fluttershy. He grabbed a nearby cookbook and opened it to a lavish looking salad with numerous vegetables topped with whipped cream and a cherry.

Fluttershy let out a gasp. "My goodness! Did I really forget that today is the day I promised to make your special salad exactly the way you want it?!"

Angel’s response was an angry stomping with his back paws and a glare at Fluttershy.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Angel,” Fluttershy apologized. “I forgot to pick up the supplies when I went shopping yesterday. I know I promised, but, can't you take a rain check just this once? I can't go shopping on such short notice. Not on today of all days, the market place is sure to be busy."

The misnamed bunny glared angrily at Fluttershy, pointing at the picture of the salad in the cookbook again.

"Oh, you're right, Angel. A promise is a promise and I can't back out on it because I forgot," Fluttershy realized. "I suppose if I go now I can still pick up everything I need to make that salad exactly like it is in the book. That is, unless you're absolutely sure I can't tempt you with a nice, crisp piece of lettuce."

Angel was not easily swayed. He swatted the lettuce out of Fluttershy’s hoof and threw the cookbook at her to emphasize his point.

With a sigh, Fluttershy folded. "Fine, you win. But if I make it you have to promise to behave yourself." She told the bunny. In her mind she thought to herself, I've really got to learn not to let him walk all over me all the time. Ponies always say I give in too easily. She couldn't have known at the time that she was soon going to be given a way to do exactly what she'd always wanted. But, the results were not going to be what she or anypony else would ever expect.


Soon, she arrived at the marketplace. True to her own reasoning, it was indeed very busy. Mares and stallions of Earth pony, pegasus, and unicorn were present there. But, she couldn’t back down at that point. She promised Angel that salad and a promise was a promise.

She reluctantly walked over to an asparagus stand, but, her path to the front of the line was usurped by a mare. Specifically, Lucy Packard. "Excuse me, um, I think you just stepped in front of me?" Fluttershy blinked even as the mare just went ahead and made a purchase. Fluttershy tailed her, forgetting momentarily about her place in line. "Ma’am, I think you made a mistake? You see I was actually here first and–"

“Oh, sorry,” Lucy said, walking out of her way. “I didn’t notice you because you were so quiet. Try speaking up next time.”

"I thought I did," Fluttershy muttered under her breath as she got back in line, only to be cut off by Sand Trap. "Oh, pardon me, sir." She tried to speak up.

“Heh?” Sand Trap asked. It was evident he was hard of hearing with his old age. “What’d ya say?”

The timid pegasus tried to explain. "Um, I think you just cut in front of me, on purpose."

“What, a cut of celery?” Sand Trap said, holding a trumpet to his ear. “No, I’m here for asparagus.”

Fluttershy spoke into said trumpet. "I think you just cut in front of me."

But, Sand Trap laughed. “Don’t be silly, I’m already in front. My hearing may not be so good, but, my eyes are as sharp as ever. I know I didn’t see you. The line was empty.”

Deciding it best not to argue, Fluttershy sighed and trotted towards the stand. Unfortunately, it seemed that two earth ponies wearing lavish outfits and wigs decided now would be the perfect time to step in front of Fluttershy and cut her off. "Hey!" Fluttershy tried to shout, though it didn't sound like one.

“Would you mind moving back?” One mare, Turf, said in a Beverly Hooves* girl tone of voice. “You’re, like, in my personal space.”

"But-" Flutttershy began to protest.

The other mare, Surf, rolled her eyes. “Seriously, do you need your asparagus so badly? Get a life or whatever. I don’t really care.”

The pegasus reluctantly obeyed, again deciding it best not to escalate. "O-oh, okay. I mean, there's no rush."

However, as Fluttershy was retreating, Spike, Rarity, and Pinkie witnessed the display. They glanced at each other, clearly not amused with Fluttershy’s lack of assertiveness. “You’d think after staring down an adult dragon and a cockatrice, Fluttershy wouldn’t have trouble standing up to ponies by now,” Spike said.

“I guess because none of us are getting hurt and nopony got turned to stone,” Pinkie thought aloud. “She thinks there’s no need to. But, still, she needs to learn that it’s okay to have some confidence.”

Rarity stepped up to Fluttershy. “Fluttershy, darling. You really mustn’t let those ponies treat you in such a way. Are you really going to let them walk all over you?”

"Well, no, but, it's-it's really no big deal," Fluttershy tried to protest. "I don't usually go shopping on days like this anyway. And this is why."

“What are you talking about?” Pinkie frowned. “It doesn’t matter what day you do something or when you do it. It’s bigger than big, Fluttershy. You’re a pony with a problem.”

Fluttershy blinked. "What kind of problem?" Seconds after she asked she felt Pinkie Pie zip past her and stand in a line. "Oh, go right ahead, Pinkie. You first."

That is your problem, Flutters!” Pinkie said with a frown. “You let everypony do what they want!”

"Pinkie's right, Fluttershy,” Rarity said. “You know it's bad if even she can see it.”

“Hey!” Pinkie said indignantly.

“Is she wrong though?” Spike asked. Pinkie was about to protest, but, quickly subsided. “Exactly. Seriously, though, Fluttershy, you can’t allow yourself to be a doormat anymore.”

“Doormat?” Fluttershy said in confusion.

“Something ponies walk all over,” Spike clarified. “A pushover.”

“You must learn to stand up for yourself every once in a while,” Rarity said. “Have you let others tell you what to do your entire life? I mean, with your parents giving you chores, that’s acceptable. But, what of other ponies?”

Fluttershy fought back a gulp. "W-well no, not always. But..." she trailed off as her lips seemed to tremble.

“‘But,’ nothing, Fluttershy,” Rarity said. “Promise us that you’ll at least make more of an effort to stand up for yourself. Promise?”

Fluttershy stood up. "Okay, I promise." Then, she rushed back to the asparagus stand, relieved to see that there was still one stalk left. "Oh! Good!" she declared and got ready to plop down a bit to pay for it. Unfortunately, somepony else did it before she could and the pegasus sighed in defeat. "Oh, never mind. Easy come, easy go."

Rarity, Pinkie, and Spike all sighed with annoyance. “You can remember to work on overcoming your fear of dragons for over a year,” Spike said. “But, you can’t remember to be assertive for five seconds?” Spike got a better look at the stallion. “Hey, that’s Gizmo. He’s one of Shining Armor’s gaming buddies.”

“Seriously, darling, it’s not that hard to be assertive,” Rarity said, speaking up. “Perhaps I should give you a demonstration.” She walked over to the stallion. “Hold it right there, Mr. Strong, Lean, and Handsome~”

“My name’s Gizmo,” he said. “Wait, you think I’m handsome?”

“Why, of course,” Rarity said, laying on the charm thicker than a smear of peanut butter on bread. “Has nopony ever complimented you before?”

“Uh, that’d be a big no,” Gizmo said. “Most say I’m either weird or a total nerd. Sometimes both.”

“Why, I see something in you that others don’t,” Rarity said. “Why don’t you flex for me?”

Gizmo did so awkwardly and his flexing leg sagged like a wet noodle.

“My~” Rarity said. “You must lift quite a bit. Now, why would a strong sturdy stallion such as yourself need that asparagus? Why change perfection?”

“Sorry for the trouble," Gizmo apologized as he let Rarity take the asparagus. "Sometimes, I buy stuff I don't actually need, it's a bad habit I'm trying to kick. Thanks for the help."

“My pleasure,” Rarity said. She then levitated the asparagus into Fluttershy’s saddlebag. “There you go. Please know, that display was strictly platonic.”

“Got it,” Gizmo said as he trotted off.

“Hmm,” Fluttershy said. “Why don’t you guys stay with me for a while? It might help me learn to be assertive while I pick up my shoppings?”

“That might be a good idea,” Spike said.

“Yeah,” Pinkie said. “We’ll totally show you how we can be assertive.”


So, Pinkie went to fetch the next item on her list: tomatoes. Operating the stand was an earth pony mare named Roma. Fluttershy paid one silver bit on the countertop.

“Sorry, miss,” Roma said. “You have to pay two gold bits.”

The timid pegasus spun around. "What? But last week it was one silver bit."

“That was then, this is now,” Roma said, rolling her eyes. “Now pay up or I’ll just take those tomatoes right back.”

Fluttershy fought back a gulp as she deposited two gold bits onto the encounter. "Oh, okay. I don't wanna argue about it."

Pinkie, not having any of that nonsense, zipped up to Roma and was muzzle to muzzle with her. “What are you doing? Driving the prices up on your goods on my friend like that? One silver bit is a more appropriate price than two gold bits for tomatoes! It was one silver yesterday, it should be one silver today!”

"Sorry, yesterday isn't today. So, it's two gold bits," the tomato merchant growled. "I'm mindin' my own business, why don't you try it sometime?"

“Only after this matter is sorted out,” Pinkie said. “So, one silver bit for tomatoes should be the way to go.”

"Well I say it's two gold bits!" Roma snapped back.

“One silver bit,” Pinkie said.

"No, it's two gold bits," Roma insisted.

“One silver bit!” Pinkie said.

“Two gold bits!” Roma said.

A back and forth argument ensued between Pinkie and Roma as they kept insisting on one bit or two bits respectively. Eventually, however, Pinkie seemed to make another offer. "Two gold bits!"

“One silver bit!” Roma insisted, unaware of the change.

Pinkie, for her part, just pushed two gold bits to the counter and shouted, "I insist it's two gold bits and nothing less!"

“One silver bit and that’s my final offer!” Roma exclaimed.

With a grin, the pink party pony took the gold bits back. "Well, have it your way then, one silver bit it is." And she giggled.

Roma smiled with satisfaction as she was about to put the silver bit in her coin box, but, she made a face, realizing she was bamboozled. Pinkie returned to her friends, giggling with delight.

“Ain’t I a stinker?” Pinkie winked.

Fluttershy was amazed. “I didn’t know you could do that, Pinkie.”

Pinkie just waved a hoof. "Oh, that's nothing. Just goes to show that asserting yourself is not only easy, it's also fun!"

“So, Fluttershy,” Rarity said. “Do you feel as if you’re ready to give it a try on your next item?”

Fluttershy nodded. "I guess so."


The next item on Fluttershy’s list was the cherry for the top of Angel’s special salad. So, Fluttershy took a deep breath and sped to the front of the counter. “I need that cherry, sir!”

Spike got a good look at the stallion. “Hey, isn’t that Crafty Crate, the construction worker?”

“I guess he has other jobs,” Pinkie said. “Bulk Biceps is like that, too. He works at the spa and sometimes sells roasted nuts.”

“So, ya need this here cherry, huh?” Crafty asked with a smirk to a hapless Fluttershy.

Apparently not cluing into the hint, Fluttershy just replied while pulling out her list, "Yes. You see, I'm making this special meal for my bunny, Angel. He's a very picky eater and the recipe calls for a cherry on top. I promised him I'd make it for him and I kind of forgot until now." She plopped down a few silver bits. "So, here you go. That should be enough."

“Heh,” Crafty chuckled. “If you really need this cherry, it’s going to cost you ten gold bits.”

Fluttershy blinked in shock. "Ten gold bits?! But..." It took her a moment to look across to her friends and remember what she had promised them. She would have to be assertive. So, she cleared her throat, trying to look directly at the merchant as she first tried Rarity's approach. “Y-you know, Mr. Handsome. I know you want to do the right thing because you’re so handsome and strong. Did I mention how handsome you are? Yes, you’re big, strong, and handsome, and those are the kind of ponies who are nice to everypony, right?”

Crafty wasn’t impressed. “You think you’re the only one to pull that on me? Face it, practically every mare in Ponyville is a cute one. Now pay up or get lost.”

Fluttershy dug in her heels, deciding to try Pinkie Pie's approach. "Ten gold bits for one cherry's outrageous! I insist on paying you... eleven gold bits!"

Rarity, Pinkie, and Spike watched with embarrassment at Fluttershy’s attempts. “This is physically painful to watch,” Spike said.

“Indeed it is,” Rarity said. “We should get her out of there before she risks going broke.”

It only got worse as Fluttershy ended up dropping her price to nine gold bits, only to then raise it back up to twelve gold bits. Naturally, they intervened and dragged Fluttershy away before she could make the purchase.

“Easy there, Flutters,” Pinkie said. “One cherry is not worth twelve gold bits.”

The pegasus whimpered, "But, I was only trying to do what you girls did. You made it look so easy."

“Yes, but, you made one fatal mistake,” Rarity explained. “You are not supposed to let any merchant know how much you need something. You must always let them know that you can get that particular item somewhere else, even if it might not be likely. If they do know how desperate you are, that will give them the upper-hoof to take advantage of you. I’m certain you can find another stand that sells cherries. Just refuse to do business with this Crafty chap and walk away.”

"But, I promised Angel to make that special salad just the way he wanted!" Fluttershy protested. "As his owner, I can't betray that promise. It's not his fault I didn't remember it when I went shopping yesterday. I'm sorry, but, I need that cherry no matter what it costs!"

“What do you even see in that overgrown rodent?” Spike asked.

“I raised him ever since he was a baby bunny,” Fluttershy said. “He means the world to me.”

“It sounds like he’s toxic for you,**” Spike said.

“Toxic or not,” Fluttershy said. “I have to feed him what he wants. He won’t accept anything less. And if I don’t feed him, that would be neglectful.”

“You’re the one who owns the cottage,” Spike said. “But, you’re letting him walk all over you. He should eat what you give him and be grateful for being given food at all.”

Sounds like a lesson Twilight and her family instilled in him, Rarity thought to herself.

“Frankly, I can’t stand that rabbit,” Spike said. “At our last tea party, he tripped me and poured a bucket of water on my head. That’s not even the first time he’s done it and you just look the other way.”

Fluttershy took this all in. She then got a look of determination. “You know what? You’re right. If Angel isn’t going to accept the salad exactly how it is, then, he should just get the rest and be thankful. In fact, I’m going to go home right now and tell him that.” She was about to set off, but, she slowed to a stop. “Oh, but, it just seems so cruel!”

“And letting him get away with that kind of behavior is any better?” Spike challenged.

Fluttershy shook it off and she marched off back to her cottage. It took two seconds for her to backtrack and go to the stand for the cherry. However, a unicorn mare walked by, levitating the cherry into her bag.

“Hey, I’ll give you five silver bits for that cherry,” she said.

“Sold,” Crafty said.

“Wait, I know that mare,” Spike said. “That’s Lemon Hearts. What’s she doing here in Ponyville?”

“Oh, didn’t you know?” Pinkie asked. “She visits from time to time to see her sister.”

“Weird how this is the first time I’m seeing her here,” Spike said.

“Yes, but, we can discuss visiting mares another time,” Rarity said. “We need to focus on a local who is in dire need of help.”

Fluttershy stepped up to them.

“We saw,” Pinkie said. “Come on, let’s take you to Applejack. She might know somepony else who sells cherries.”

"Why are you so bad at being assertive?” Spike asked. “Didn't Rainbow tell you to be like that for the Best Young Flyers Competition?"

“I tried,” Fluttershy explained. “But, when I did, I felt like I made things worse. It seems like every time I try, it never works out. I feel almost as bad as my brother when he quits things.”

"Sounds to me like you're afraid of being assertive," Rarity commented. "Like there's something inside you that keeps stopping you. But, you weren't always like this, right?"

“Not really,” Fluttershy explained. “After a while, it felt like Rainbow always did the talking for me. She was always so confident, whether it was with flying or with standing up to bullies. It felt nice to have somepony else get all the attention so others wouldn’t have to pay attention to me. I guess I got too used to not being in the spotlight.”

“There has to be more to it than that,” Spike said.

Fluttershy sighed sadly. “There is, but… I don’t really like talking about it. Besides, it doesn’t change the fact that trying to be assertive like Rarity and Pinkie didn’t work for me as well as it did for them. And even you trying to set me straight didn’t stick with me either. I want to be more assertive, but, I need a method that works more for me.”

At that moment, Pinkie noticed a poster. She glanced over the details printed upon it.

“Hey,” she piped up. “How about this? A minotaur named Iron Will promises to turn doormats into dynamos. He’s holding an assertiveness seminar today at the center of the Canterlot Hedge Maze.”

“I can’t go to Canterlot now!” Fluttershy said. “I don’t want Angel to starve!”

The others groaned.

“There are repeat seminars that will happen after his scheduled lunch,” Pinkie said.

“I’ll just have to make the salad as best I can without the cherry,” Fluttershy said. “Hopefully, he won’t mind.”

And if he does mind, Spike thought to himself. He’s going to answer to me.


Unfortunately, Angel did mind. He threw a major fit and sulked in his bunny home after kicking out Fluttershy. As she landed near her mailbox, she saw the aforementioned poster that Pinkie pointed out earlier. This gave Fluttershy a sudden boost of motivation.

“I’ll go to this seminar,” Fluttershy said aloud. “As Celestia is my witness, I shall never be a doormat again!”

On her way to the train station, she saw Spike waiting for her.

“Decided to go to the seminar, huh?” Spike ventured to guess.

“Yes,” Fluttershy said. “Angel threw me out for not making the salad the way he wanted.”

“Well, if that ungrateful rabbit isn’t going to accept the food you made him out of the goodness of your heart,” Spike said. “He has to deal with the consequences of starvation.”

Fluttershy sighed. “The sooner I get some pointers from the seminar, the better.”

During the train ride, Spike had a question. “Why do you even call him Angel anyway, Fluttershy?” he asked. “He’s a far cry from his namesake.”

“It’s because of his pure white fur,” Fluttershy said. “Plus, I tried calling him Habbit, but, he didn’t like it.”

“Habbit?” Spike asked.

“I thought it sounded cute,” Fluttershy said. “Habbit the rabbit, you know?”

“Well, now, I know what I’m calling him from now on,” Spike said.


Soon, they arrived at Canterlot. They entered the hedge maze. Since there were markers showcasing the path to the center, they didn’t have trouble finding it. There, they saw numerous ponies gathered around a stage.

“Quite a crowd,” Spike commented.

“I didn’t think other ponies besides me needed assertiveness lessons,” Fluttershy said.

She tried to squeeze into a front row seat in between some ponies she thought she recognized. But, with an angry shout of "Back of the line!" she was knocked all the way back to the farthest row possible.

“Hey!” Spike growled. “Sounds like you don’t even need assertiveness lessons, buddy!”

“Bite me, you lizard!” the pony said.

“Keep it up and I might take you up on that,” Spike said, showing his fangs.

This caused the confrontational pony to panic and hustle off. Suddenly, loud music began to blare from speakers on the stage as a spotlight is shown on the center of it. A moment later came an explosion of fireworks and then there on the stage stood a minotaur. He had one of his goat assistants take off a robe he had been wearing and ponies cheered loudly.

The minotaur spoke into a small microphone that was in his right ear. “Welcome, friends! The name is Iron Will and today is the first day of your new life as an assertive, confident creature! A creature who’s not going to be walked all over anymore! Now, then, I want to hear you stomp if you’re tired of being a pushover!” The ponies stomped loudly. “Stomp if you’re tired of being a doormat!” The ponies stomped louder. “Stomp if you want to pay nothing for this seminar!”

The stomping and cheering stopped as the crowd remained silent for a moment, some in it exchanging nervous glances or whispers before all burst into laughter (except for Fluttershy who didn't know what to think).

Iron Will snorted and declared, “Who said you could laugh?! Iron Will didn’t tell you to laugh!” Then, he cleared his throat. "What Iron Will said earlier is no joke, friends, because Iron Will never jokes! You see, Iron Will is so confident that you will be absolutely, one hundred percent satisfied with Iron Will's assertiveness techniques, that if you are somehow not one hundred percent satisfied, then you. Pay. Nothing. Oh, but, I pity the fool who doubts Iron Will's methods! I pity 'em!" Glaring at a random pony in the crowd he asked. "You don't doubt me, do you?"

“Uh, n-no, sir,” the earth stallion, Meadow Song, stuttered. The other ponies nodded.

“‘No, sir,’ indeed,” Iron Will said, flashing a toothy smile. “And that, my friends, is your first lesson. Don’t be shy, look ‘em in the eye! Make sure they can’t pretend not to notice you. Now, to demonstrate, Iron Will is going to need a volunteer from the audience. Who’s going to be the lucky pony?”

Nopony would volunteer, but, that didn't stop Iron Will. His goat assistants had been scanning the crowd from the moment the seminar began and it had come to their attention that there was a pony who looked particularly meek. Just the sort of example Iron Will needed. So, they passed word along to the minotaur and he called out to Fluttershy. "You, in the back row!"

Fluttershy stopped at the sound of Iron Will’s voice. She turned to face him. “Who, me?”

"Yes, you!" Iron Will demanded. "Iron Will wants you onstage! Pronto!"

Fluttershy gulped nervously making her way onto the stage. Spike gave her a motivational glance.

“You can do it, Fluttershy,” he smiled. “I believe in you.”

This caused Fluttershy to smile as she got onto the stage. Immediately upon getting on the stage, Iron Will shoved one of his goat assistants directly in front of Fluttershy.

“Ooh, look at that!” Iron Will said. “He’s blocking your path and he’s not going away. So, what are you going to do about it?”

The timid pegasus gulped. "Um, just politely walk around him?"

“No,” Iron Will said, shaking his head. “Try again.”

Forcing back another gulp, the pegasus answered, "Maybe gingerly tip-hoof around him?"

“No~” Iron Will protested.

Trying to back away, Fluttershy answered in a defeated tone, "Go back home and try again tomorrow?"

“No!” Iron Will roared. “When some creature tries to block, show them that you rock!” With the fierceness of his roar, it propelled Fluttershy into the goat assistant.

Fluttershy was immediately stricken with concern. "Oh my goodness! Sorry."

“Don’t be sorry, be aggressive!” Iron Will demanded. “Remember, never apologize when you can criticize!” He then shouted at his goat assistant. “Why don’t you look where you’re going?!” He then instructed Fluttershy. “Now, you try. Do exactly as Iron Will taught you.”

The timid pegasus tried, clearing her throat. "Uh... next time, get out of the way before... I bump into you, 'cause..." suddenly, she felt a rush of confidence overtake her as she declared. "I definitely won't be sorry if I do! You understand?!" The goat nodded very slowly.

Seeing this caused Iron Will to beam with glee. He then scooped Fluttershy in her arms.

“Now, do you see, my friends,” he asked the crowd. “If my methods can work for even this shy little pegasus, then, surely they can work for you and for anypony! So, when others ask you how you gained control of your life, make sure you tell them about Iron Will and his assertiveness seminars!”

The crowd burst into thunderous applause, which Iron Will basked in while Fluttershy tried to process her feelings. Hmm, so this is what it feels like to be assertive. It feels... kind of nice, actually, she thought to herself.

Spike, however, found the methods questionable. Okay, I may come across as ferocious sometimes, especially when I’m angry. But, I have a gut feeling that this isn’t going to go well. My friends and I better keep an eye on her.


The next day, Fluttershy was giving herself a pep talk as she stared at her own reflection in a mirror. "Okay, I feel good. I feel ready to 'attack the day' as Iron Will says," she said to herself. "You've got this, Fluttershy."

She ventured out of her cottage and right away, she encountered her first problem. The gardener she hired after meeting him at the gala, Mr. Greenhooves, was overwatering her flowers. So, she approached him and tapped on his shoulder.

“Excuse me, Mr. Greenhooves,” she said. “But, I think you might be overwatering my petunias… again.”

But, Mr. Greenhooves just laughed as he kept on watering. "Nonsense, just let the professional handle it. I know what I'm doing."

Fluttershy was about to set into town, but, she remembered the teachings of Iron Will and decided not to let Mr. Greenhooves walk all over her. Treat me like a pushover, she thought. I’ll give you the once-over.

She applied pressure to the garden hose that Mr. Greenhooves was using.

Mr. Greenhooves stopped when he noticed his hose had stopped working. He held it up for a closer inspection, which was when Fluttershy released her hoof and let the water flow back through the hose like normal. Mr. Greenhooves was hit by an unexpected shower, leaving him completely soaked. "Well, perhaps that is enough water. Sorry about that."

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said with a smile. With an air of confidence, she trotted off into Ponyville. Giggling, she said aloud to herself, “I can’t believe that worked. That was not only easy, but, also fun! I’ll have to tell the others about this.”

“Maybe hold off a bit,” she heard Spike’s voice say. She then saw him in front of her.

“Oh, hello, Spike,” Fluttershy smiled. “Did you see me back there? I won’t have to worry about Mr. Greenhooves overwatering my petunias again.”

“Look, Fluttershy,” Spike said. “It's one thing to put bullies in their place. It's quite another to become a bully yourself. There's a fine line between assertive and overly pushy. Walk that line, but, don't cross it. Don't be a pushover, but, don't be a bully, either. Think of all the times you've come through for us in a dangerous situation, no matter how understandably scared you got. Tap into that.”***

Fluttershy heard this. “Hmm,” she thought about this. “I think I can do that. I’m about to head to Sugarcube Corner to tell Pinkie about what I learned. Would you like to come along?”

“Sure,” Spike said.


On the way to the market place, they found their path blocked by two carts full of trash. The ponies pulling the carts were Lyra and Bon-Bon.

“I tell you, Bon Bon,” Lyra commented. “Showpony business is tough.”

"Well go ahead, Lyra,” Bon Bon said. “Try one of your jokes on me. I'll laugh at anything."

“Excuse me?” Fluttershy said. “Would you two mind moving? Your carts are blocking our path.”

"Yeah, yeah, in a minute," Lyra rudely remarked.

“Lyra, mind your temper,” Bon Bon said.

Fluttershy snorted. "You're a unicorn, you can use magic. Move the carts." Fluttershy started thinking. “And you know, if you stand around in this spot for too long, the smell of the trash could cling to you.”

Spike could sense Fluttershy was about to do something reckless. “Uh, let me take care of this, Fluttershy,” Spike said before facing the two other ponies. “Look, Lyra, I'm sorry to ask this, but, could you and Bon Bon move over for a little bit. I highly doubt your conversation is important enough that you can't afford Fluttershy some basic courtesy."****

Lyra considered this. “Yeah, you’re right. We’ll move.”

So, the two ponies moved off of the bridge, towing their carts with them.

“Thank you,” Spike said.

So much for trying to find my own voice, Fluttershy thought to herself. “I could’ve taken care of it myself, Spike,” she said.

“After the way you took care of Mr. Greenhooves,” Spike said. “I’m not taking any chances.”

Fluttershy huffed to herself as she and Spike made it to town.


Compared to yesterday the market place was nowhere near as busy. But, there were still several merchants who were out there, trying to sell their products to ponies.

“I’ll catch up with you at Sugarcube Corner,” Fluttershy said to Spike. Despite his misgivings, Spike continued onward.

Crafty was still operating the cherry stand. When he saw Fluttershy standing face to face with him, he could hardly believe what he saw. "Uh, can I help you with something, miss?" he inquired in a seemingly innocent tone.

“Don’t play innocent with me,” Fluttershy snapped. “You know who I am or do you not remember how you tried to swindle me out of all my bits for one single cherry?”

Crafty blinked. Suddenly, he remembered his last encounter with the pegasus now staring right at him. "Oh yes, it's all coming back to me. You're that doormat who needed a cherry for her pet bunny. Well, if you need more cherries, you've come to the right place. I've got all the cherries you need, provided you've got enough of the right bits, that is."

She pressed her snout against his. “I don’t want or need any cherries! I want you to know that I’m not going to keep doing business with a greedy jerk like you! My bits will go to ponies I know will give me a fair price, instead of driving it up just to take advantage of helpless ponies!”

Crafty just laughed. "You think your threats scare me, kid? You'll come back to me in due time, everypony always does."

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that if I were you,” Fluttershy smirked. “Just take a look around. Notice anything different about today?”

Crafty obeyed, suspecting nothing. But, as he looked all around he was surprised at how inexplicably empty it seemed to be. "Hey, where is everypony? It's like they all fled town or somethin'!"

“That was me,” the formerly timid pegasus replied. “You think you’re such a hotshot as a merchant pony, don’t you? You like to talk a big game, but, the moment ponies stop showing up, you’re desperate to get them back. And it turns out I’m not the only one who’s been cheated out of their bits by your price-gouging ways. It’s amazing what a little word of mouth can do.”

Crafty was quickly losing his nerve. “P-please, miss. I don’t want any trouble! Just take whatever ya want and leave me alone!”

"Not until you tell all the other merchants around here that they need to stop taking advantage of their customers or else," Fluttershy ended her sentence by ominously glaring at the stallion.

Crafty nodded his head. “Alright, alright, I’ll tell them!”

"And make sure you tell them who warned you! There's a new Fluttershy in town and nopony better get in her way!" Fluttershy threatened. Then, in a normal tone of voice she added. "You can do that, right?"

“Y-yes, ma’am,” quivered Crafty nervously.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy thought to herself. Wait until my friends get a load of the new and improved Fluttershy. They're going to love her!

Spike, however, witnessed the exchange. I’m starting to think this was a bad idea. She’s not used to speaking up for herself, so, she doesn’t know when enough’s enough.

So, Fluttershy and Spike made it just outside of Sugarcube Corner. Fluttershy was hoping to have a chance to show off her new, assertive self to her friends.


A line had already formed stretching all the way to the door as the familiar voice of Pinkie Pie called. "Who's next, please? And what can I get for you today?"

Fluttershy was about to get in line when an earth pony mare cut in front of her. It was Cherry Berry. Unlike yesterday, Fluttershy wasn't going to take this insult lying down. "Excuse me!" she growled at the mare. "What do you think you're doing?! Didn't you see me?"

“I don’t know,” Cherry Berry shrugged nonchalantly. “Maybe?”

"Oh, is that your answer? 'Maybe?’" Fluttershy replied as she locked eyes with Cherry Berry. "Maybes are for babies!" With a growl she added, "Now go to the back of the line where you belong! And don't ever cut in front of me again!"

Cherry hastily complied. Other ponies in line hustled to the back so as not to anger the new Fluttershy. Spike was too intimidated to try intervening.

Fluttershy didn't mind, she strolled straight up to the front line with a smile upon her face. Why did I ever doubt myself? Asserting myself is way easier than I thought it would be. I shouldn't have been holding back for so long, She thought to herself.

Pinkie at the counter was amazed with what she saw. “Wow, Flutters! I almost didn’t recognize you with how confident and assertive you sounded. Though, you may want to take it easy. You’re scaring the customers and the Cakes wouldn’t like that.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to encourage this, Pinkie,” Spike said.

"Sorry, but, someponies need to know not to mess with me. If I have to raise my voice at them, so be it," Fluttershy declared.

Rarity, who was nearby, walked up to them. “Fluttershy, is that really you? I must be dreaming.”

"Oh no, your eyes don't deceive you, Rarity," Fluttershy told her fashion friend. "You're looking at the new and improved Fluttershy. Iron Will's assertiveness seminars really paid off!"

“Your attitude is incredibly feisty,” Rarity said. But, with a look of concern, she added. “Although, I must add that you should not be aggressive all of the time.”

"I don't mean to be, but, sometimes you have to be loud in order to be heard," the pegasus confidently declared. "Iron Will is a true inspiration. His techniques really work. Take his seminars if you don't believe him. Satisfaction guaranteed or you pay nothing. And everypony is always satisfied."

“I’m not quite in need of his seminars,” Rarity said. “But, they seem to have made a difference in the way you carry yourself. You are indeed a new Fluttershy.”

“I’m not sure encouraging this is a good idea,” Spike said.

Fluttershy nodded her head, ignoring Spike. "Glad you noticed. Because New Fluttershy feels pretty stoked about New Fluttershy."

“Well, Old Pinkie is pleased to see New Fluttershy,” Pinkie smiled, pulling out a bowl full of punch. “Pleased as pink punch, to be precise. Want some?” Pinkie giggled happily at her own wit, but, Fluttershy didn’t see the joke.

Instead of laughing alongside her friend, Fluttershy declared in a low tone, "You laugh at me, I wrath at you!" She pushed the punch bowl off the counter, making it shatter on the ground.

Spike and Rarity stood back, careful not to step on any debris of broken glass. Rarity and Pinkie were shocked.

“What’d you do that for?!” Pinkie asked.

“Yeah,” Spike said. “That was totally unnecessary and others could have been hurt.”

Not appearing to notice the looks her friends were giving her, Fluttershy simply exited Sugarcube Corner as she called. "Bye, girls, Spike. Make sure to tell all our friends about New Fluttershy." Upon stepping outside, she called for a taxi. And when another pony (Royal Riff) jumped into the seat of said taxi, she responded, "Cut in line, I'll take what's mine!" She lunged into the seat like a wild animal and after a short struggle tossed the seat stealing pony out with the greatest of ease. "Listen up, ponies!" she shouted as she raised a hoof. "Nopony pushes New Fluttershy around! NOPONY!" Then, she sat down in the taxi seat as the taxi driver took off as fast as he could.

Spike, Rarity, and Pinkie watched the display in shock. “This was a really bad idea,” Spike said.

“Yeah,” Pinkie said. “I get that she’s trying to be less of a doormat, but, I don’t think she’s going about this the right way.”

“I agree,” Rarity said. “We’ve gone from one extreme to another.”


The next day, Fluttershy was again giving herself a pep talk with the most confident (and evil if you were to ask anypony else) look on her face. "You got this, New Fluttershy. This day is yours and yours alone! And nopony's going to take it away from you! Am I right?!" Her unusually loud voice frightened all the animals around her, but, none more so than Angel who whimpered in fright and ran away like a scared child. Any desire he might have had to cause trouble had left him. Now, he too trembled before this new Fluttershy.

Serves that troublemaker right! He's always been a thorn in my side! Fluttershy thought to herself. And if it wasn't for me he wouldn't last five minutes! The least he could do is be a little bit more grateful every now and then.

Fluttershy stormed out of her cottage and she came up to her mailbox. She looked to find unfamiliar mail. The usual mail delivery pony had been on a leave of absence for about a month now and the relief pony had an unfortunate reputation for not only being late, but, also getting his deliveries mixed up. Today was one of those days.

“What?!” Fluttershy growled. “Mr. Zippy’s delivered the wrong mail again!”

Fluttershy turned her attention to see a stallion trying to put mail in an empty birdhouse. It was evident that he had vision problems.

"New Fluttershy does not want the wrong mail delivered to her cottage. Not anymore!" she told him.

“Oh, uh, I’m sorry,” the stallion, Mr. Zippy, said. “Did I mix up the mail again? I really need to remember my readers.”

Fluttershy just replied, "You apologize, I penalize!" When the mail stallion tried to run away, she shoved him into the mail box and slapped a stamp on his rear end. She took the letter meant for her as she watched a mail wagon come along and take the stallion away.

As she walked along the path, a tourist stallion, Globe Trotter, walked up to her. Fluttershy stopped in front of a puddle.

“Excuse me, miss,” Globe Trotter said politely. “Do you know how to get to the Ponyville Clock Tower?”

Fluttershy nodded even as she was holding the letter in her mouth. "Sure," she replied in a muffled tone of voice. "You just-" But, speaking caused her letter to fall out of her mouth and unfortunately, it ended up in a puddle. The mare gasped and started to growl.

“Oh, dear,” Globe Trotter said. “That’s too bad.”

Fluttershy, however, just yelled at Globe Trotter. "You make me lose, I blow my fuse! Get over here!" She promptly grabbed the stallion by his camera and flung him as hard as she could. By a strange stroke of luck she ended up tossing him into a pile of hay not far from the clock tower (which his camera struck, causing a bell to chime).


Spike, Rarity, and Pinkie saw the whole thing.

“See?” Spike said. “I told you things were bad! Now, she’s lashing out at ponies who don’t deserve it!”

“We must do something before Fluttershy’s too far gone!” Rarity said with concern. She ran to Fluttershy. "Fluttershy! Just what in the name of Celestia do you think you're doing?!" Rarity called out to her friend with a scowl. "That's no way to behave!"

“Didn’t you see how he treated New Fluttershy?” Fluttershy scoffed. “He thought New Fluttershy was a pushover like Old Fluttershy.”

“That is not what happened!” Spike said. “He asked you for directions and you forgot a letter was in your mouth. That wasn’t his fault.”

“Yeah,” Pinkie said. “We got to talking along with everypony else yesterday and we think you’re taking these assertiveness lessons way too far. Even Rainbow, if you can believe it.”

The pegasus just snapped. "What?! You traitors! New Fluttershy sees how it is! You just want New Fluttershy to become a doormat like Old Fluttershy! Fat chance!"

“What happened to Nice Fluttershy?” Rarity asked. “You know, the wielder of the Element of Kindness? We want that Fluttershy back.”

"Wrong!" Fluttershy retorted as she narrowed her eyes. "What you really want is 'Pushover Fluttershy,' 'Do whatever you want to her and she won't complain Fluttershy!' Because that's what the old Fluttershy was like!"

“Ah!” Pinkie squealed. “Too many Fluttershys to keep track of! Make it stop!”

"Aw, what's the matter?" Fluttershy taunted in a cruel tone. "Things getting too complicated for that simple little brain of yours, Pinkie?" She promptly gave her party planning friend a shove.

“That’s quite enough of that, Fluttershy,” Rarity said. “Let us not descend into petty insults.”

But, the pegasus only turned her cruel wrath on Rarity instead. "Why not? Isn't petty what you're all about, Rarity? What with your petty concerns about fashion and all?"

“Hey!” Spike said. “She does that for a living and you know it!”

“Yeah!” Pinkie added. “Not only that, but, fashion is her passion!”

"Really? And what are you passionate about?" Fluttershy coldly retorted. "Birthday cake? Party hats?"

“W-well,” Pinkie stammered. “I-it’s more than that. But, come on, you don’t mean that.”

"Oh, but, New Fluttershy does!" Fluttershy shouted at the top of her lungs. "She can't believe that her so called 'friends' are trying to tell New Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony and I mean nopony else gives a flying feather about!"

These statements brought Pinkie and Rarity to tears.

“Looks like Nasty Fluttershy is here to stay!” Pinkie sniffled.

“I simply cannot believe what that minotaur has taught you!” Rarity sniffled before levitating Spike onto her back.

The two mares ran off bawling.


Before Fluttershy could even think of going somewhere else, she found herself unexpectedly snout to snout with her fellow pegasus and childhood friend, Rainbow Dash. The very same Rainbow Dash who had once tried to encourage her shy friend to come out of her shell and be assertive.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow said. “I can’t believe it! When I heard from the others that you were assertive, I couldn’t believe it. But, now that I saw for myself, I don’t like what I saw. How could you say those things to them?!”

Fluttershy just narrowed her eyes. "So, now you're getting on New Fluttershy's case, Rainbow Dash?! She thought you of all ponies would support New Fluttershy. It was you who first told New Fluttershy to be more assertive."

“Not like this!” Rainbow snapped. “You’re acting exactly like those bullies that treated you like crap. And you’re acting like Gilda during that party Pinkie threw for her! I’ll be damned if I let a better friend of mine act like her!”

"As if you really care. You certainly didn't bother to lift a hoof to help New Fluttershy once while she was Old Fluttershy," Fluttershy snapped. "All you ever cared about was trying to be the best at everything or napping! When the bullies switched their targets from you to Old Fluttershy, you didn't care a bit."

“That’s not true and you know it!” Rainbow exclaimed. “You’re being unreasonable! Look, it’s great that you’re standing up for yourself, but, that’s not the way to achieve it! I wasn’t at that seminar, so, I don’t know what exactly Iron Will taught you, but, you’re going about this whole assertiveness thing all wrong! I admit, I can be pretty aggressive myself, but, not to everypony! There has to be a good reason for being aggressive! You're no different than Gilda and that's saying something.”

“So, where were you when Gilda was picking on me, even scaring me?!” Fluttershy retorted. “You knew old Fluttershy before you knew Gilda, but, all you cared about was showing her around when she visited. And you went to great lengths to prank me before. Did I think you were a bully then? NO! And now, after I actually get assertiveness lessons, you’re telling me to be a doormat again?! Forget it! New Fluttershy is here to stay and there’s nothing you can do to change my mind! So back off unless you want to end up with something more than just a bruised ego.”

The brash speedster could only gasp as those words slowly sank in. "Fluttershy... I don't know how or why, but, you've changed. You really are a New Fluttershy..." The next words were spoken not from a position of confidence, but, from one of personal feelings as she somberly declared. "I don't even recognize you anymore." She promptly flew away, though not without shedding a few tears.

Seeing this caused something to stir inside Fluttershy and a realization suddenly struck her. Fluttershy gasped. “Rainbow, wait!” she called up. She tried running up, only to step in the puddle that she had dropped her mail in earlier. She looked down at her reflection and saw herself. She then remembered how she acted towards her friends and tears welled in her eyes. “I really am a new Fluttershy… I’m a monster…”

Dejectedly, Fluttershy walked slowly back to her cottage. She shut herself inside, leaving herself closed off from the rest of the world.


Two days later, Fluttershy’s friends had cooled heads, but, hadn’t seen or heard from her in those two days. They were starting to worry.

“This is very concerning,” Twilight said.

“Yeah,” Spike said. “Fluttershy’s probably been slapped by Angel at least twice to get his way by now.”

“Ah’ve seen how feisty that little bun can be,” Applejack said. “But, if’n what ya told me ‘bout what Fluttershy learned from that Iron Will character is anythin’ ta go by, he’s probably still shaken up by her ‘assertiveness.’”

“Serves him right if you ask me,” Spike said unsympathetically. “He doesn’t appreciate Fluttershy bothering to feed him at all even though if it weren’t for her, he would’ve starved to death long ago.”

“We’re not here to talk about how bad a pet Angel is,” Rainbow said. “We’re here for Fluttershy.”

“That minotaur gave her horrible advice,” Rarity said.

“Hold it right there,” Spike said. “You weren’t at his seminar. I was. So, don’t go blaming Iron Will. Yes, his methods were questionable, but, he never told Fluttershy to be a bully. Blaming him for what happened would be like when you were blamed for making those terrible dresses for the gala.”

“You’re right, Spike,” Rarity said. “I apologize.”

“If anything,” Spike said. “We’re more to blame than Iron Will is. We knew Fluttershy wasn’t used to speaking up for herself and therefore couldn’t be expected to know when enough’s enough. We tried teaching her the right way and instead of trying harder when it didn’t work out, we suggested she take advice from a stranger with questionable methods.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t have shown her those flyers,” Pinkie said. “So, what can we do?”

“We have to go to Fluttershy’s cottage,” Twilight said. “And work things out.”

“Before we do,” Rainbow said. “I have to tell you about Fluttershy’s bullying problems at flight school.”

The others listened to Rainbow as she explained the situation. They learned that Fluttershy internalized all the bullying and worried that being assertive meant acting like the bullies.

“So, that’s why she had such a hard time standing up for herself,” Rarity said after Rainbow was finished. “We likely ended up confusing her more.”

“Once we do talk ta her,” Applejack said. “Hopefully, we can set ‘er straight.”

They approached her cottage that gloomy morning, only to discover that the entire cottage had been boarded up with no natural light allowed to poke through.

“This is getting out of hoof,” Spike said.

“Looks like Fluttershy really felt bad ‘bout how she acted,” Applejack thought aloud. “‘Nother extreme from what ya told me.”

Rarity knocked on the cottage door. “Fluttershy? Are you in there?”

But, from the other side of the door Fluttershy called, "Go away! Leave now, before Nasty Fluttershy strikes again and says something she'll regret!"

“Fluttershy, we all said things that we regretted,” Pinkie said. “But, we still care about you and we’re worried about you.”

Fluttershy called back, “I'm the only one who's to blame. I was the one who said all those hurtful things." What her friends didn't know is that she was currently inside her cottage, sitting in the dark while tied to a chair. "But, don't worry, I'm never coming out of my house again. Everypony will be a lot safer with me and my mean mouth locked away for good."

"Fluttershy, that's not going to work and you know it," Rainbow protested from the other side of the door. "Yelling at each other wasn't the right way to solve things." Then, she added, "I told the others about your bullying problems at flight school. About how you internalized it all."

“Now, I’m just like them,” Fluttershy said. “You’re not going to get me to change my mind about this. This is for the best. This will be the only way that we can be friends. Trust me, I’ll be fine.”

“She only did it so that we could understand you better,” Twilight added. “She wouldn’t have done it to get back at you, I promise.”

“And you won’t be fine,” Spike said. “You’re trapping yourself with an ungrateful, spoiled little rat who doesn’t appreciate the work you do for him even though if it weren’t for you, he would’ve deservedly starved to death long ago.” Spike grew angrier. “The little bastard kicked you out of your own damn cottage just because you weren’t able to make his salad the way he wanted due to you nearly being cheated out of your money! If he had any respect for you, he’d take the food you made him and be damn grateful you even bothered!”

Inside the cottage, Angel took in what Spike had said. He remembered how harshly he treated Fluttershy and he was overcome by a sense of guilt. Well, he decided right then and there that he would not only be a better pet to Fluttershy, but, a better friend to her, too.


Twilight and Rarity, seeing Spike’s anger, decided to intervene to get back on topic.

“Fluttershy,” Rarity said. “No one blames you for what happened. If anything, this was our fault. We should have been the ones to have helped you further instead of sending you to a stranger who doesn’t know you or your internal struggles.”

“Yes,” Twilight added. “There are ways to assert yourself aside from yelling at others or getting physical towards them.” She rubbed Spike’s left cheek to calm him down. “Like I keep telling Spike, show me a pony who resorts to violence, I’ll show you a pony that’s run out of good ideas.” The cheek rubbing caused Spike to calm down.

“I’m not sure if I can,” Fluttershy said. “I’m already too far gone. Whenever I try to assert myself, I become a metaphorical monster.”

“Oh, sweetie,” Rarity said gently. “You’re not a monster.”

At that moment, Iron Will and some of his goat entourage walked up to Fluttershy’s cottage. Spike, having cooled his head, spotted him.

“Uh, I think we may have a problem,” he said.

The other ponies turned to see Iron Will.

“Greetings, ponies and dragon,” Iron Will smiled. “Iron Will’s the name, training creatures is my game.” He flashed a cheesy smile and gave a thumbs up.

Spike and the ponies grew worried.

“What, uh, brings you here, Mr. Iron Will?” Twilight asked, nervously.

"Just Iron Will if you please," Iron Will declared as he cleared his throat. "And Iron Will is here because of your friend, Fluttershy. She absolutely loved Iron Will's assertiveness seminars. Word on the street is that she doesn't take no guff from no creature anymore! To Iron Will, that's the sound of a satisfied client, which means Iron Will must collect his dues. After all, these assertiveness seminars aren't cheap. Iron Will needs the contributions of Iron Will's satisfied customers to stay in business. Surely you can relate." Then, he walked away.

“Fluttershy’s in no shape to deal with this guy right now,” Rainbow whispered to her friends.

"Don't worry, I'm on it," Rarity insisted as she quickly rushed up to Iron Will to try and plead with him. "I'm sure a big, brave, powerful, and rich minotaur like you doesn't need that money right away. You can afford to come back later. Like say, a few days? Maybe a week?"

“Are you kidding?” Iron Will said. “Fluttershy is overdue as it is. Iron Will already granted her an extension while Iron Will dealt with other clients. But, Iron Will collects now.”

Rarity looked at the others and shouted at them. "Don't just stand there, do something! And make it quick!"

“Uh,” Pinkie said, piping up. “We’re not even sure Fluttershy is home right now. She might be off frolicking with some woodland creatures or something. Why don’t you give us some time to look for her?”

“You know she’s lying,” Twilight whispered to Applejack. “And I know she’s lying. But, we have to roll with it for this one time, okay?” Applejack nodded in reply.

“Well, Iron Will does have some grocery shopping to do,” Iron Will said. “Iron Will will return this afternoon.”

"But, that's only half a day!" Pinkie protested. "We need one full day at least."

“Iron Will will delay for half a day and no longer,” Iron Will said firmly.

Pinkie promptly began to argue with Iron Will, eventually tricking him into requesting a full day instead of half a day. "We need half a day and no more!" she shouted at him.

“Well, you’ll get a full day and no less!” Iron Will shouted back.

“Okie dokie,” Pinkie smiled, about to stroll away casually. “See ya tomorrow.”

"Wait a minute..." Iron Will began, apparently realizing he'd been deceived. Before he could say anything about it though, he heard a sneeze. A sneeze that unmistakably belonged to Fluttershy, proving to him that she was home. "Well, sounds like a search won't be required after all. Which means Iron Will collects now."

Twilight and Applejack stood in front of Fluttershy’s door, blocking Iron Will’s path. The minotaur, unimpressed, picked them up and moved them aside.

Rainbow then flew forward, immediately pressing her snout up against Iron Will's. "Alright, mister, I didn't want to have to do this, but, you leave me no choice!" And she told him, "Fluttershy's not in a mood for company because of you. It was your seminar that made her turn into a heartless bully. You don't know just how assertive she became, she started acting like the whole world was out to get her. Like it was either push or be pushed. And that made her do all kinds of things that I know she wouldn't willingly do if you hadn't put the thought in her head!"

Iron Will was about to answer back, but, they heard the sound of the cottage door unlocking and wood cracking. Fluttershy had broken through the barriers she had put up.

“It’s okay, Rainbow,” Fluttershy said calmly. “I can handle this situation.”

Rainbow wanted to protest, but something in the way her friend's eyes looked convinced her that Fluttershy could in fact resolve this matter peacefully and without the help of others. So, she reluctantly backed down.

“Your payment is overdue, Fluttershy,” Iron Will said to her. “Don’t forget that you were nothing but a doormat, but, Iron Will turned you into a lean, mean, assertive machine! Now, pay Iron Will what you owe Iron Will.”

But, Fluttershy looked the minotaur firmly in the eyes and calmly answered, "No, I won't."

The others were surprised to hear Fluttershy’s calm refusal.

“What did you say?!” Iron Will asked.

"I said 'No.' Was I not clear? I've been told I need to speak up," Fluttershy answered, sounding surprisingly confident while at the same time not displaying a hint of the jerkish behavior she had displayed with previous assertive attempts.

“What do you mean, ‘no?!’” Iron Will growled. “I’d hate to be you right now. You could be in a lot of trouble if Iron Will doesn’t get his money pronto!”

“Fluttershy’s arguing with a minotaur?” Twilight said. “One of the most notoriously stubborn and tough earth-elementals?”

Despite the momentary ringing in her ears, Fluttershy just trotted past Iron Will as she explained her answer. "As I recall, during the seminar I attended, you promised one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed or else you pay nothing. Well, Iron Will, I'm sorry to tell you this, but, I'm not satisfied."

Pinkie’s jaw had dropped in surprise from Fluttershy’s impressive feat of calm assertiveness. Rarity propped Pinkie’s jaw back up. The goats belated in stunned speechlessness. No client in the history of their boss' seminars had ever given this answer before.

“What do you mean you’re not satisfied?” Iron Will asked, starting to lose steam. “Every creature has always been satisfied with Iron Will’s lectures.”

“I thought I was satisfied at first,” Fluttershy said. “But, I only realized I wasn’t when my friends showed me how different I had become, So, I guess that means I’m the first to not be satisfied. So, since I'm not satisfied, I refuse to pay. Don’t get me wrong, your methods were helpful, but, I don’t like what they made me do. I know that's not your fault, you didn't tell me to say or do the things I said and did. However, I do believe that your methods are simply not the kind of advice I needed to hear. My friends were right, there are other ways to stand up for yourself that don't involve being mean. Therefore, I'm not satisfied and I refuse to pay. Simple as that."

Spike had to rub his eyes to make sure he was seeing all of this right.

“Are you, uh, sure you’re not just a little bit satisfied?” Iron Will asked. “Because we can cut a deal. I mean, we’re both reasonable creatures, right?”

Fluttershy only shook her head. "I'm sorry, but, no means no, Mr. Iron Will. Now please leave."

“‘No means no,’” Iron Will repeated. “Never heard that one before. Huh, no means no. That’s good. I’ll have to use that in my next lecture. Expect royalties in the mail. After I take another look at my methods. Guess what works for minotaurs doesn’t work for all creatures.” He left with his goat assistants following behind him, the two of them taking notice that he wasn't riding on top of them like he usually did.

After Iron Will and his goats left, Spike and the other ponies hugged Fluttershy happily.

“That was amazing, Fluttershy!” Spike said happily.

"Wow! That... was... amazing! If I didn't see and hear it myself, I wouldn't have believed it!" Rainbow exclaimed with wide eyes.

“You totally stood up to Iron Will!” Twilight said happily.

"And you didn't change at all as you did so!" Rarity proudly added. "You were the same old Fluttershy that we've always loved!"

“The one we missed!” Pinkie said, hugging Fluttershy gently.

"Now you've definitely changed, Fluttershy," Rainbow happily commented to her fellow pegasus. "So, it looks like that Iron Will was good for something. I just hope this change isn't temporary, because I could get used to a more assertive you."

“Believe me,” Fluttershy said. “This Fluttershy is here to stay. I’m so sorry I took the whole assertiveness thing too far. I promise to make amends with those I treated harshly in that state. Friends?”

“Of course we are,” Spike said. “Though, can I suggest you not make amends with Angel? He had that coming.”

At that moment, Angel hopped shamefully out of the cottage. He squeaked in his language to Fluttershy. Fluttershy recognized it as a genuine apology and his promise to be better towards her. Spike, however, was quick to give Angel a piece of his mind.

“You have some nerve saying that to Fluttershy!” he said. “Especially after you ungratefully kicked her out of her cottage over something as petty as a salad not being the way you wanted it. As far as I’m concerned, you can go jump in a–” Fluttershy quickly pulled him back.

“Spike,” Fluttershy said gently. “I know you’re angry with what Angel did to me, but, he is my pet, so, he is my responsibility. I know how to handle Angel now, so, please calm down.”

“Fine,” Spike said. “But, if he lays a paw on you to hurt you, he’s getting roasted in every meaning of the word.”

“I’ve got this, trust me,” Fluttershy said. She then gently rubbed Spike’s left cheek. “I need to have a little bit of spice with all of my sugar.”

Twilight stepped up to Spike. “Do you even know what Angel said?” she asked.

“No,” Spike admitted. “But, I don’t like the way he said it.”

“What Angel said was that he was sorry for how he treated me,” Fluttershy said, translating. “He had heard what you had said outside of my door and vowed to not only be a better pet, but, a better friend.”

“Five gold bits says he won’t last an hour,” Spike said.

“We’ll worry about Angel’s promises another time,” Twilight said. “For now, Fluttershy, I think you should explain the valuable lesson you learned about friendship.”

“Right, Twilight,” Fluttershy said. “It’s one that I know will stick with me.”

Spike pulled out a parchment and quill.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Sometimes, it can be hard for a shy pony like myself to stand up for myself. The times I tried, they didn’t work with me. But, I’ve learned that standing up for myself doesn’t mean changing who I am. Now, I know how to put my hoof down without being unpleasant or mean. And I also learned that having a strong backbone doesn’t give you an excuse to be cruel to others. Even if the world can be cruel at times, being cruel back wouldn’t change anything.

Sincerely,
Fluttershy

Spike rolled up the scroll and sent it away.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said. “Now that that’s settled, I’m going to apologize to those I acted cruelly towards.”

“Except Angel,” Spike said.

“Honestly, Spike,” Rarity said. “I didn’t think even the elitists in Canterlot that looked down on you could rile you up this much.”

“Is Angel really that bad to you?” Twilight asked.

“It’s not what he does to me, specifically,” Spike said. “It’s what he does to the pony who took care of him well enough to last as long as he did.”

“I understand that you’re compassionate towards Fluttershy,” Twilight said. “But, you shouldn’t stress yourself too much over what somepony else goes through. It’s good to be sensitive, but, not at the risk of your own mental well-being. I know that I stress about plenty myself, but, that doesn’t make what I’m saying any less true. You just have to trust Fluttershy and have faith that her and Angel’s relationship can potentially get better. And, if and when she does need help, she’ll know where to turn to, okay?”

“Okay,” Spike said.

“Thank you for understanding, Spike,” Twilight said. “Come on, let’s go home.”

From that day on, whenever Angel started slipping into old habits, Fluttershy would employ ‘The Stare’ to intimidate him into silent submission. Angel soon learned that he could no longer take charge the way he used to and not he or anypony else was going to push Fluttershy around as easily ever again.

End of chapter.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter.

*Beverly Hills in Equestria.

**He's not wrong.

***Dialogue courtesy of Comickook.

****More dialogue courtesy of Comickook.

In case it wasn't obvious, I really hate Angel Bunny.

Shoutout to Comickook for their ideas.

If you're enjoying the story so far, contact me via private messages if you'd like to help make future chapters.