• Published 2nd Jul 2023
  • 2,170 Views, 1,362 Comments

My Little Pony: Nine Elements Book 2 - BlueBioWolf



A continuation of version of Friendship is Magic that has nine Elements of Harmony and Spike being treated with more respect.

  • ...
11
 1,362
 2,170

Chapter 14: Secret of My Excess (S2:E10)

My Little Pony: Nine Elements

Book 2

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Chapter 14: Secret of My Excess

It was one week until Spike’s birthday in Ponyville. The little dragon was finishing up cutting the Fire Ruby he got in Canterlot. It now looked like a heart.

“Perfect,” Spike said. “With it being so close to my birthday, she’ll believe me when I say it’s my birthday dinner.” At that moment, Twilight stepped up to him.

“Hi, Spike,” Twilight said. “Do you have everything ready?”

“Sure do, mom,” Spike said. “I hope Rarity likes it.”

“You did a wonderful job on it,” Twilight smiled. “Though, you shouldn’t eat it. You know what magically active gems do to you.”

“Yeah, I know,” Spike said. “But, she doesn’t know that.”

“That’s true,” Twilight said. “And I haven't told her that. That would be more news you would be willing to tell her.”

“I’m afraid of her rejecting it if she knows the truth,” Spike said. “That’s why I’m using that story.”

“Rarity shows to really care for you,” Twilight said. “I don’t know if she’ll reject your gift. Plus, she does appreciate generosity as much as she displays it. Still, we’ll see what happens.”

“I want you to promise not to tell Rarity the truth,” Spike said. “You can tell the princesses, but, I want you to swear them to secrecy.”

“I promise,” Twilight said, putting a hoof over her chest. Spike hugged her.

“Thank you,” Spike said. “I knew I could count on you.”

“Of course, Spike,” she said. “But, even if she rejects it, you’ll still get your birthday party next week. This time, I’m sending out invitations beforehoof. I don’t want to make the same mistake as last year.”

“Thanks,” Spike smiled. “Oh, I can hardly wait! A birthday party with all my friends! What could be better?” The little dragon had no idea that his birthday party was going to lead to an unexpected development in himself, one that was going to be quite a surprise, for all the wrong reasons.


“How about you help me with re-shelving day?” Twilight asked.

“Sure thing,” Spike said. “Since I was able to finish my personal project, I’ll be glad to help.” He picked up the Fire Ruby. “And I can put the Fire Ruby in the chest I plan on giving to Rarity for presentation on the way there.”

“The pink one with a yellow interior?” Twilight asked.

“That’s the one,” Spike nodded. He looked out the window and saw Rarity approaching. “Uh oh! She’s coming this way!” Spike was in such a hurry that he dashed off before Twilight had a chance to comprehend what happened. By the time she did, she heard Spike tumble down the stairs and the sound of several books dropping.

“Are you alright?!” Twilight called. She rushed after him to see all the books off their shelves.

“I’m fine,” Spike said. He then looked at the mess. “Oh, no, I made a mess of things!”

“Spike,” Twilight said. “The mess can easily be cleaned up. What matters is that you’re not hurt from your tumble. Besides, I was going to re-shelf them, anyway. If anything, you did me a favor.”

Twilight gave Spike a comforting hug. It didn’t last long as a knock came from the door.

“Oh!” Spike yelped. “Tidy up the books please. I’ll answer the door.”

Twilight nodded as Spike went to the door, opening it to see Rarity.

“Hello, Spike,” Rarity smiled. "I just came by to see if you had any books on historical fashion I could borrow." But, then, her wandering eyes happened to spot something else that quickly attracted her attention, causing her to gasp. It was the bright red jewel she saw Spike had in his clutches. "Is that a fire ruby?!" She exclaimed in disbelief.

Spike realized he’d absentmindedly held onto the ruby, but, decided to act natural. "You bet it is!" he proclaimed. "Been aging it myself, a fact I'm very proud of. They're very hard to come by naturally, but, that just makes them all the more delicious." He licked his lips. I really hope she buys this, he said internally.

“Ah, how lovely,” Rarity said. “I hope you savor the flavor of that beauty.”

Spike went to the chest he mentioned earlier and spoke. “I’m saving it for my birthday dinner next week.”

“That sounds wonderful,” Rarity said. “I certainly look forward to celebrating with you and our friends this year. I still feel awful missing it last year.”

Rarity began biting her hoof and turning her head, hoping for a distraction from such a magnificent sight. Lucky for her, she got one when Twilight floated over a book with a green colored spine. "Here, start with this one," Twilight encouraged.

“Oh, thank you, Twilight,” Rarity said, glancing through the book. “This should serve as inspiration for fashions that could come back in style. I read in a magazine that ruffled taffeta capes are going to make a huge comeback this season. Always have to be prepared for whatever changes come your way if you want to succeed.”

"Always happy to help," Twilight sincerely replied without looking up, so focused was she on her re-shelfing.

Unfortunately for Rarity, that meant she had no one else to engage in a conversation with. There was nothing to take her mind off the Fire Ruby in Spike's possession or the fact that it was going to end up a meal for him in about a week's time. It pained her greatly to see such a rare gem be treated like a local delicacy. But, then again, she wasn't a dragon like Spike was. Learning that the gem was for Spike’s birthday, she didn’t want to deprive him of his enjoyment especially after the guilt of missing out on his birthday last year. The fashionista couldn't help herself. She turned towards Spike and spoke to him, never once taking her eyes off his most treasured possession at the moment. "I... sure hope it's as tasty as it is beautiful, Spike," she sincerely commented while looking ever so ashamed of herself. "I've never seen anything quite so stunning before. Really."

Spike could tell she was taking the bait as he hoped, but, he could see that she felt ashamed. This, in turn, made him feel a bit of guilt. Maybe this wasn’t a good time after all, he thought to himself. I didn’t want her to feel guilty. "You really like it, huh?" he questioned even though he knew the answer.

“Like it?” Rarity said. “Why, it’s simply magnificent~” But, then, she stepped back, hesitating. "No, I really shouldn't. It's not mine to take. You made it yourself, you deserve to keep it. I'll..." she bit into her hoof again. "I'll be fine... somehow. I'm sure I can find something just as rare and valuable if I look hard enough."

However, Spike wasn't going to take no for an answer. Something stirred deep inside him when he saw how much it seemed to grieve Rarity not to have the Fire Ruby. "If you really want it that badly, you can have it," he insisted as he held out the claw holding said ruby. "My birthday dinner isn't that important. Besides, it would mean more to me if you were happy with it." And before the unicorn could object, Spike placed the fire ruby delicately in her hooves.

“Oh, no, Spike,” Rarity said. “It’s bad enough I didn’t get you anything last year. I can’t take your gift from you this year.”

“Really, it’s fine,” Spike insisted. “I’ll just have what I usually eat every other day for my birthday dinner.”

The fashion loving mare was taken aback by this display of generosity. Usually, she was the one doing such things for others. To have it be done to her was a surprise. She forgot all about her earlier feelings of guilt, now seeming much more sure of herself. "Gosh, I don't even know what to say... this is so thoughtful!" Then, after taking hold of the rare gem with her magic, she leaned forward and cooed. "Oh, my little Spikey-wikey!" She proceeded to plant a kiss on his left cheek, knowing he responded positively to it being touched. Spike was so overwhelmed with affection that he fell over backwards and sighed blissfully. "Really, Spike," Rarity declared as she paced around the room. "Thank you so much! I'll make this up to you somehow, I promise! I'll see to it that you have the best birthday present ever next week!" And with that, she exited the library with her book and the Fire Ruby.

Twilight heard everything while organizing the books. “Sounds like it went better than expected,” she said.

“Yeah,” Spike said with a wistful sigh. He then put a claw to his left cheek. “This feels different from the kisses I’ve gotten before.”

“Maybe that act of generosity really touched Rarity’s heart,” Twilight said. “And she returned some of that feeling to you.”

“Do you think she knows about my crush on her?” Spike asked.

“Honestly,” Twilight said. “At this point, I’d be surprised if she didn’t know by now. Also, I know that kiss was special, but, can you make sure to wash your cheek?”

“NEVAH!!!” Spike said dramatically.*

Twilight was taken aback by Spike’s dramatic outburst, but, she couldn’t help but laugh to herself about it. “Okay, Spike,” she said. “You can keep it a little longer.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Spike said.


A week later, Spike was helping Twilight hang up the last of the banners and streamers that decorated the interior of the library. All of it was for one purpose: Spike's birthday party.

“Perfect,” Twilight smiled. “Well, almost.” She levitated a washcloth to Spike. “Come on, Spike. It’s been a week. Time to wash your cheek.”

Spike stubbornly stood his ground. “I meant it when I said I’d never wash this cheek again!”

“It’s all dirty and grimy now!” Twilight said. “I didn’t raise you in a cave and I don’t need others thinking I did. Otherwise, they could think I’m unfit to raise you at all and take you away from me. Is that what you want? To never see me again?”**

Spike heard the words Twilight said. Sighing, he reluctantly took the washcloth and washed the smudge off of his left cheek. Twilight could see that Spike was upset doing it.

“I know it meant a lot to you,” she said. “But, if things go well, that won’t be the last kiss she gives you.”

Spike considered this. “Maybe you’re right,” he said. “She does like things to be clean. She wouldn’t want to kiss a dirty cheek.”

“And she knows you like being touched on the left cheek,” Twilight said. “Touching your right cheek has the opposite effect and makes you grumpy.”

“That’s true,” Spike said. “It’s kind of weird when you think about it.”

“I guess that’s your own version of emotional pressure points,” Twilight shrugged.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie unexpectedly popped up and threw confetti into the air as she loudly shouted, "Happy birthday, birthday dragon!" And she blew on a party blower.

Spike was so startled, he jumped in the air. “Whoa!” he yelped. Twilight gently levitated him down. “A little warning would be nice!” He then saw the other Guardians of Harmony and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Happy birthday, Spike,” Fluttershy smiled sweetly. She nuzzled his forehead before placing her present for him on a nearby table.

“Happy birthday there, birthday drake,” Applejack smiled. She and Apple Bloom placed theirs on the same table.

“Happy birthday, buddy,” Rainbow said, giving him a gentle yet playful noogie. She placed a dumbbell with a ribbon on the same table.

Rarity stepped forward wearing the Fire Ruby that she got from Spike fastened into a necklace. “Happy birthday, dear,” she said. She placed her gift for him on the table with Sweetie Belle following suit.

“Wow~” Spike smiled. “All of those are for me?”

“Of course they are,” Scootaloo said, doing the same as the others. “What? You never had a birthday party before?”

The little dragon unhappily sighed as he admitted, "Not really. If I was lucky, my mom's parents would throw a small party for me with just her, me, and the rest of the family. But, my mom was almost always too busy to find time to throw me a party when we lived in Canterlot. Heck, she almost never took me the few times she did go to spend time with ponies besides her family or Princess Celestia. I don’t even open the gifts she gives me anymore because they’re the same thing every birthday and Hearth’s Warming every year, a book."

Twilight gave a rather ashamed expression. Ever since the incident with Owlowiscious, she had been trying her best to be more considerate of Spike's feelings. Now that she thought about it, she hadn't really done the best job in the past of treating him like family. Sad to say, she now realized she unknowingly had been ignoring him and taking his assistance for granted. It also made her realize her intended gift to him this year was likely to be inadequate to make up for it and would prove his point. I'm going to need something much better than a newly published book to show him how much I really do care about him, she thought to herself.

“Well, get ready,” Pinkie said. “We’ve got something really special in store for you on your most special day.”

"Well, while we're all on the subject of birthdays and presents, you'll be happy to know, Spike, that your birthday gift really inspired me!" Rarity happily proclaimed while floating over a series of colored dresses that looked like they had been made with very old fabrics. "And your Fire Ruby was just the icing on the cake as it were. I had planned to make a matching set of lovely taffeta capes for you and Twilight. But, then, I figured 'Why stop there?' And so, I decided to expand the set to include all of our friends and the Crusaders! And when that's done, I'll be making one for myself and integrate the Fire Ruby into it. That way, I'll always have something to remember your act of generosity by."

“We’re really sorry for missing your birthday last year,” Fluttershy said. “I hope our gifts make up for it.”

"Enough chit chat!" Pinkie Pie stated afterward. "Let's stop talking and start partying!" And so the birthday party began.


The party was in full swing as Spike opened up his birthday presents from his friends (though he did find it odd that Twilight's gift was suspiciously absent, even though in years prior it was often the only present he'd ever receive on his birthday. He didn't dwell on the matter for very long, though, since he knew what it was). "Seriously, Applejack," he said at one point. "I can't thank you enough for this great blanket!" He held out a blanket that had apples printed all over it and made to resemble trees from an orchard. "I really needed a new one."

“Aww, Spike,” Applejack smiled. “Ya thanked me fer it ‘bout fifteen times. Ah’m startin’ ta blush.”

“And thank you, Apple Bloom,” Spike said. “For the drawing book.”

“Hey, no problem,” Apple Bloom said. “It’s the least ah could do fer an honorary member o’ mah family. Though, could ya tone it down with the thanks? Once is enough.”

"Sorry," the little dragon appeared to sincerely apologize. "But, I really mean it. I'm really grateful for everything you girls have done. You're the best friends a dragon could ask for!"

“If you think our gifts are great,” Pinkie said. “Wait until you head over to Sugarcube Corner. Mr. and Mrs. Cake have arranged something really special just for you for after the party.”

"No way?! Seriously?! Why didn't you tell me that before?!" Spike exclaimed and rushed out the door to get to Sugarcube Corner as fast as he could.

“Hey!” Pinkie shouted in vain. “The party can’t last forever, but, it doesn’t have to end right now!”

Twilight used this time to find a new, more appropriate present for Spike. She saw some coupons for a theme park Spike wanted to go to for a while.


Spike raced across town as fast as his little legs could carry him. He didn't know what exactly the Cakes would have to offer him for a birthday surprise, but, he knew it was going to be something extra special if the gifts he'd already gotten from his friends were any indication. Inside, Mr. and Mrs. Cake were tending to their shop, with Mrs. Cake’s plump frame looking much rounder.

Spike finally entered. "Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Cake!" he greeted before his green eyes beheld a most interesting sight: Mrs. Cake was looking a bit more... well.. plump than usual. "Hey, Mrs. Cake, have you been helping yourself to too many sweets lately?" he innocently inquired.

“Well, yes, among other foods,” Mrs. Cake said. “I do have to keep up my strength for both myself and my babies.”

“Oh, yeah,” Spike said. “I forgot that you’re pregnant.”

“With triplets***,” the baker mare said. “They’ll be born next month.”

Mr. Cake only laughed as he stood next to his wife. "Besides, my honey bun is fine just the way she is," he playfully teased and then changed the subject. "Anyway, Spike, it's good to see the birthday dragon of the hour has finally arrived! We were starting to wonder if Pinkie Pie forgot to mention our surprise for you."

Mrs. Cake then added, "You should be sure to thank her, because if she hadn't told us about your birthday, we'd never have found out. But, we did and we decided to try our hooves at a little 'experiment,'" She pushed over a sparkling blue cupcake topped with blue gemstones that also sparkled. "A sapphire cupcake, just for you! And here's the best part, it's free!"

“A sapphire cupcake?!” Spike exclaimed happily. “Oh, it’s beautiful and it looks so tempting.”

Mrs. Cake’s belly gave an audible gurgle. “I’ll say,” she said with a giggle. “If we didn’t use real sapphires, I would’ve eaten it myself. My dental bills are quite high enough as it is.”

Real sapphires?!****” Spike grabbed the cupcake. “Thank you so much,” he said gratefully. “I’ll make sure to let you know how it is.” He then exited the bakery while commenting to himself. "First, I get a bunch of great presents from all of my best friends and now an amazing sapphire cupcake from the Cakes! Oh, what a day! It really is the best day of my life!"

Spike was so distracted with joy that he and Cheerilee accidentally bumped into each other. He made sure his cupcake was fine and saw the schoolmarm looking dizzy.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, Cheerilee!" he apologized and rushed over to her.

Cheerilee was more dazed than hurt, although a few paper shopping bags she'd been carrying with her seemed to lay scattered about on the road. "It's alright, nothing's broken or anything," she declared as she was slowly helped up. "Why were you so distracted? You seem... excited."

“Oh, well, today’s my birthday,” Spike said. “I was so amazed by the cupcake that the Cakes made especially for me that I wasn’t really looking where I was going.”

Cheerilee smiled upon hearing the wonderful news. "Oh! Well, happy birthday to you, Spike! Gosh, I wish I'd have known so I could've gotten you something." She put a hoof to her chin, deep in thought for a moment. "Wait, I know!" Reaching into one of her paper shopping bags, she produced a white straw hat with a purple feather sticking out on one side. "It's not much, but, here you go!"

“Wow, thanks, Miss Cheerilee,” Spike smiled.

"Of course. After all, everypony should get gifts on their birthday! Or I guess everydragon, too," she chuckled a bit as she corrected her sentence. "Sorry I didn't know sooner. I'll have to remember for next year."

“I sure appreciate it,” Spike smiled. "Need a claw with your groceries?" he offered, wondering if perhaps he might get another reward for doing that. After all, doing good things for others had been how he'd been rewarded with Rarity.

Cheerilee shook her head. "No, I'm good. Just a few essentials." And she went about picking up the bags. "I think you'd make a great student if you were in one of my classes, but, I'm sure Twilight's been keeping you up to date on your education." And she added, "You're lucky to have a pony as smart as her raising you. She could probably take over my job if she wanted to. Celestia knows I could use a bit of a break from being the only schoolteacher in town." Then, she was gone.

“Wow,” Spike said to himself. “When I mentioned my birthday to Cheerilee, she gave me this great hat.” Then, something began to stir deep inside of him. I wonder if... And just like that, his little dragon mind started to scheme. He was going to make up for his lack of presents in years prior. Twilight would understand, books just weren't good presents when they were the only thing you got year after year.

So, Spike began to swagger through Ponyville, looking for any pony close by with something that caught his eye.


Sometime later, when Twilight Sparkle went out looking for Spike, she just so happened to overhear a conversation that caused her to worry.

"Hey, Junebug!" Spike hollered at an earth pony with a pale, light grayish olive coat, brilliant lime green eyes, a curly mane and tail of a light brilliant and very light gamboge, and a Cutie Mark depicting three sprigs of leaves. "Guess what? It's my birthday today!"

“Ah, that’s wonderful,” the earth pony mare, whose name was Junebug smiled. “Happy birthday, Spike.”

But, Spike impatiently demanded of the mare. "So?"

"So what?" Junebug blinked, not appearing to understand what was being asked of her.

“Don’t you have a present for me?” he asked.

But, Junebug stuttered and stepped back. "I... I don't have anything to give you, Spike. I'm sorry."

Spike wouldn't take no for an answer. "Come on, you must have something!" His eyes fell upon a basket of flowers the mare happened to be carrying, and his green eyes narrowed as he smirked. "How 'bout those flowers? You could give those to me, right?"

“Spike,” Junebug said, growing concerned. “I need these flowers! Please, don’t make me part with them!”

“Spike Thaddeus Dragon!*****” Twilight said sharply, catching the little drake’s attention.

“Huh, wha-?” Spike said in a muddled tone, as if waking up from a bad dream. “Mom?”

Twilight used her magic to pull him away from Junebug. “I’m so sorry, Junebug,” she said. “Spike’s not usually like this. I don’t know what’s gotten into him.”

“Oh, uh, no harm done,” Junebug stammered. “I better get going now, though.” She nervously left.

Twilight turned her attention back to the little drake. “Just what do you think you're doing?! Why are you out here, demanding gifts of everypony in town?! I raised you to be better than that!"

The lecture brought the dragon to his senses. “I don’t know what happened, mom,” he said. “I swear. The last thing I remember, Cheerilee gave me this hat. Then, everything started getting blurry.******”

“Hmm,” Twilight pondered. “I haven’t heard or read about anything like this before. I better take you to see Zecora. With her knowledge of dragons from her homeland, she might have some sort of explanation for this. But, first, you have to give back everything you took that wasn’t yours. Even the hat.”

“Okay,” Spike said as he took off the hat.

Twilight noticed that it was getting late. “On second thought,” she said. “We’ll see Zecora tomorrow. It’s getting late. But, you’re still returning those things and coming straight home afterwards.”

“Okay, mom,” Spike said. “I’ll get right on it. See you later.”

“Good boy,” she said. She then departed, confident that Spike could be trusted to manage on his own.

Unfortunately, just after Twilight left, the greedy look in Spike's eyes returned. It wasn't fair that he should be denied presents on his birthday just because someponies didn't agree. "Who else has a present for 'Spikey-Wikey?’" he said with a hiss and set out to find his next unfortunate "victim."


The next morning, the rays of sunlight entered the bedroom window of the Golden Oak Library. Twilight stirred from her sleep and let out a yawn. A most unexpected sight met her as she opened her eyes. Spike's basket was cluttered with objects and trinkets of all sorts, piling up towards the ceiling. Now that she thought about it, it had seemed strange when Spike had taken a long time to come home last night.

“Spike,” Twilight said sternly. “Where did you get all of this stuff?”

An even bigger surprise quickly overshadowed that question, for the things began to move as Spike slowly stumbled awake. When he emerged from the pile, Twilight could see that he was no longer the little dragon he'd been the night before. He was much bigger now. "Spike?!" she nervously questioned. This dragon sure looked like him, but, was it really him?

The question was answered when Spike yawned and stretched his considerably large body. He was already taller than Twilight. "Mom?!" He blinked while looking at himself. "What's happening to me?! How did I end up like this?!" As he spoke, his voice sounded much deeper and lower pitched than it had been yesterday.

Clearly, I should’ve taken Spike to Zecora right away, Twilight said internally before saying aloud, "I don't know, Spike! You've changed somehow."

“I look different,” Spike said in his lower tone. “And I sound different, too! That can't be!" Spike protested with a hiss.

Twilight wasn't so sure. "I don't know what else to believe, Spike. Something must've happened. Think back to yesterday, after I caught you trying to take flowers from Junebug. I told you to give everything back that wasn't yours. What did you do after that? Did you talk to anypony? Did you happen to see anything unusual?"

Spike struggled in vain to remember what happened the previous night. “I-I don’t remember.” But, he trailed off, unable to gather his thoughts. And that was because something else was occupying his attention. His eyes became fixated on a globe Twilight had nearby and tried to reach out for it.

Twilight yanked the globe away with her magic. "Spike, concentrate!" she demanded of him.

“Seriously, I don’t remember,” Spike said. “Last I remember was… are you using that telescope?”

The studious unicorn was not persuaded for even a second. "No, Spike! It's not yours and you've never shown an interest in it before!" Her frown grew deeper. "Something's definitely wrong! This isn't you, Spike!"

"How do you know that?!" Spike snapped. "You told me you love me like I was your son, but, you haven't gotten around to adopting me like you said you were going to!"

"Excuse me?!" Twilight angrily replied. "I've been working on it, Spike! It takes a long time to get all the proper paperwork and meet with the right ponies! I'm trying my best!"

The considerably large dragon then commented, "Wait, that just slipped out! I didn't mean that! Really!"

Twilight heard this and saw some sign of her faithful dragon son still in there. “Perhaps now would be a good time to take you to see Zecora. Something is seriously wrong,” she said. “I should’ve taken you to her the second I suspected something was wrong.”

“Maybe we could try checking Ponyville first?” Spike suggested.

“No,” Twilight insisted. “Zecora alone knows more about dragons than all the doctors in Ponyville put together. Come on, Spike.”


Some time later at Zecora’s hut, the shaman zebra was looking over Spike carefully. She also held a pocket watch in front of him.

At last, Zecora turned to Twilight and informed her. "He is starting to mature. Of this fact, I am quite sure."

“Mature?” Twilight asked. “You mean he’s just growing up?” The zebra nodded. “But, that doesn't explain why he's so grabby. Or why he just got so big out of the blue.”

Zecora just motioned for Twilight to come over to the bubbling cauldron in the center of the hut. There, Zecora displayed an image in the sickly green colored liquid that was boiling inside it. And as the zebra spoke the image changed, depicting that which was spoken about. "Certain dragons' hearts are prone to greed, a steady diet to make growth speed. Then, the resulting bigger size only makes their hunger rise," she quickly warned the unicorn. "If trying to reverse this is what you need, you must stop Spike from practicing greed."

“You mean to say,” Twilight said, trying to get the gist of the situation. “The more things Spike takes from others, the bigger and greedier he becomes?” Zecora nodded again. “Am I supposed to keep him sheltered forever and never give him any gifts?" Twilight was beginning to tear up. “I’ve sheltered him for too long already and it’s not fair to him! He’s had so much freedom since we came to Ponyville and I don’t want to take that away from him!”

The zebra shook her head from side to side. "Greed cannot be defeated, only controlled. Most dragons learn how to do that, or so I've been told. They grow big all on their own, greed is but a shortcut from what I was shown."

“So, what can I do?” Twilight said, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“The best you can do,” Zecora said. “Is to find a way to bring him back to his senses. In his greed-induced state, he might be seen as a nemesis.”

Twilight remembered that when Spike was brought back to his senses, he had more control.

“So, that’s what I’ll do,” Twilight nodded. “Thank you, Zecora. I’ll see if I can-” When she turned to look for Spike, she found that the dragon was already gone (having made off with most of the vials, bottles, and masks in Zecora's hut in the process). This made her blush as she realized her mistake of not keeping a closer eye on him while talking to Zecora.

"I'd... better track him down," the studious unicorn nervously declared and left the hut without another word. It was anyone's guess as to where Spike was now.


It didn't take long for Twilight to find Spike. He was right in the middle of Ponyville, trying to steal something from somepony. In this case, he was trying to grab Scootaloo's scooter.

The tomboyish filly was holding onto one end of the scooter with all the strength she had and her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders were holding onto her to give her extra support. "You're not getting my scooter!" she yelled at Spike. "It was a birthday present from my parents! Get your own!"

"Spike want!" Spike screamed, having grown considerably taller since Twilight had last seen him. Just like Zecora said, the more he collected the bigger he would become (and the greedier he would become as a result). This caught the Crusaders off-guard.*******

“Did he say Spike?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Thinking quickly, Twilight picked up a broom with her magic and gave a whistle to get Spike's attention. "Hey, Spike! Check out this amazing broom I found!" she called while waving it back and forth almost like it was a stick she was teasing a dog with.

That did the trick, Spike lost interest in Scootaloo's scooter and turned his full attention to the broom. "Spike want!" he hissed and roared, pounding on his chest as he grew even bigger.

“That’s Spike?” Scootaloo said in surprise.

“It did look like him,” Apple Bloom said. “But, taller n’ grouchy somehow?”

“But, how’d he get that big so fast?” Sweetie Belle asked. “We all saw him at his birthday party yesterday and he was about the same size as us.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have time to explain,” Twilight said. “I need to keep Spike under control.” The studious unicorn, for her part, just ran back to the library as fast as her hooves would let her. She looked back every once in a while to be sure Spike was still following her. "That's it's, big boy! Come and get it!" she taunted as she reached the front door and swung it open. Then, when Spike drew close, she hurled it into a back room and slammed the door shut as soon as he went through it. She saw that the Crusaders followed her.

“He’s an honorary Cutie Mark Crusader,” Scootaloo said. “And he’s our friend!”

“We want to help any way we can!” Sweetie Belle said with determination.

“Help me keep the door shut,” Twilight said.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders used their combined strength to hold down the door.

Spike trashed about and pounded on the door. But, Twilight and the fillies kept their backs pressed up against it and refused to budge. "This is for your own good, Spike!" Twilight told him. "You can fight all you want, but, we’re not letting you out of there until you stop being greedy!" However, she then realized something she had forgotten all about in her haste to lock Spike in that room. There were a whole bunch of books stored in there and while Spike wouldn't have been able to reach them in his normal size, he would definitely be able to reach them now that he was so tall. “Oh, no!”

“What’s wrong?” Apple Bloom asked.

Frantically, Twilight opened the door. But, it was too late. All she could see was a large hole at the other end of the room, indicating that Spike had grabbed the books and broken free. Now he was running loose in Ponyville again, likely growing bigger by the minute. “I’ve made a terrible mistake!”

“We got to catch up to him!” Scootaloo said.


Twilight and the fillies were nearly out of breath by the time they caught up to Spike, finding him carrying out an assault on Sugarcube Corner as he had become so big, it was a miracle he'd managed to fit through the door.

Pinkie Pie was perched atop a display shelf in the kitchen and from the looks of things, she was trying to fight the dragon with nothing but cakes and other desserts that lay scattered around. "Back! Back I say!" she shouted, flinging cakes as quickly as she could grab them. However, her efforts seemed to just be "rewarded" with Spike snatching up the desserts and adding them to his collection of things he'd already hoarded.

"Pinkie Pie! Stop giving Spike cake!" Twilight demanded.

“I’m not giving him cake!” Pinkie said. “I’m assaulting him with cake!” She then shook her head and said. “Wait, Spike?!”******** She lost her balance and absentmindedly threw another cake at Spike as she fell off the shelf. Twilight helped Pinkie back onto her hooves. “How’d Spike get so–” She didn’t get to finish her question as Spike grew to such a massive size that he broke through the roof of the bakery and destroyed it completely.

Pinkie Pie was rendered speechless by the result. All she could do was just sit there and look up in disbelief. The Cakes were never going to believe this. In fact, she was in such a state of shock that she had to be dragged away by the tail.

“He’s out of control now!” Twilight said.

“What do we do, Twilight?!” Sweetie Belle asked.

“We have to find a way to stop him!” Twilight said.


Worse was to come as the now massive Spike stormed through town. He quickly headed for Carousel Boutique and snatched up an unaware Rarity (who was posing to her workshop mirror while wearing a long, pink colored dress with a matching cape. And a pretty old looking dress at that).

"Put me down this instant!" Rarity demanded, not appearing to recognize Spike in his current state. She lit up her horn and fired off a blast of magic, but, although it struck the large dragon square in the face it didn't even phase him. Spike didn't seem to care. He just dragged Rarity away as he continued to snatch up things left and right, including the entire town water tower.

Fortunately for Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy quickly set off to the rescue as Spike fled to the edge of town and into the nearby hills. The two pegasi soon flew to either side of Spike (not recognizing that it was him) and began demanding and pleading with him to release Rarity. "Okay, pal," Rainbow Dash all but shouted. "Fun's over! Put our friend down, right now!"

Fluttershy tried to more gently plead. "I-if you wouldn't mind, that is. No one has to get hurt."

"This is non-negotiable, Mr. Tall and Scaly!" Rainbow roared. "Release her now or you'll answer to us!"

"P-please," Fluttershy nervously insisted. "We'll be ever so grateful if you'd just kindly set Rarity down."

"Drop her, scaly!" Rainbow demanded. "You have 'til the count of ten or we do this the hard way!"

"Ignore her," Fluttershy tried to protest. "Just do the right thing and let our friend go."

Alas, Spike chose to ignore the demands and pleas. He instead swung at both pegasi, using the tail he held Rarity captive in to do so.

“Whoa~!” Rarity exclaimed. “Of all the nerve!” And then, she heard a ripping sound as her cape snagged both her pegasus friends, then tore itself apart from the weight. "Oh no! Now look what you've done!" she scolded. "You ripped my cape!"

Rarity worried so much about this that she failed to notice Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy get knocked to the ground, though thankfully, neither of them were harmed.


With Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy out of commission, Spike let out a tremendous roar as he started to climb the hills. It seemed like he was intent on using it to store all that he had obtained throughout the day, his own little hoard.

Rarity decided she had quite enough. “Alright, you!” Rarity snapped. “Capturing me and using me as a weapon was one thing and tearing at my cape was another. But, stealing other ponies’ possessions and storing them away out of sight is just unsound! Now, if I were you, I would put those things back where you found them and take me back home! At least Razer had some manners!”

Suddenly, Spike turned around and took notice of a particular red gem in a necklace that hung around Rarity's neck. At that moment, he froze, eyeing the gem as though he'd seen it before somewhere. Rarity looked to herself and saw the eye-catching Fire Ruby around her neck.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Rarity said. “This is an especially valuable possession to me! This was given to me by a dear friend of mine, a dragon named Spike. I might have felt a bit guilty in taking it with him saying that it was his birthday dinner, but, he was so insistent on it. And that alone shows that he’ll be far more generous than you could ever be!”

At that very moment, it all came flooding back to the dragon as he remembered where that gem was from: It was the Fire Ruby he'd given to Rarity a week and a day ago. He still vividly recalled the memory, even down to Rarity giving him a kiss on his left cheek after he'd parted with it. And it was those memories that caused his eyes to shrink. Suddenly, he didn't feel like being greedy anymore.

Rarity was unaware of any of these developments as she just grumbled. "Why are you looking at me like that? I suppose now you're going to eat me or something?"

Suddenly, Spike reverted back to his original size. He and Rarity were suspended in mid-air for a moment.

The unicorn with a snow white coat could hardly believe her eyes. "Spike?!" She commented in uncertainty. "It was you rampaging through town?!"

Spike didn’t have time to properly respond as the two suddenly found themselves plummeting towards the ground. The little dragon screamed frantically.


Meanwhile, Rainbow was in a state of shock, having witnessed Spike go back to normal size. She realized that she’d unknowingly insulted him.*********

“Oh, boy,” Rainbow said in a humiliated way.

“There’s no time to feel remorse!” Twilight said in alarm. “Spike and Rarity need help!”

That brought Rainbow to her senses. It was all up to their pegasus friends to prevent them from plummeting to the ground and to certain death. But, because the little dragon couldn't be sure of the outcome, he decided the time had come for him to make a confession. He looked across to the unicorn and shouted at the top of his lungs in order to be overheard. "Rarity, there's something I have to tell you, just in case we don't make it! I've always sort of had a crush on–"

Rarity gently covered Spike’s mouth with one of her front hooves. She gave him a reassuring smile as if to say, “I already know and I love you, too.” She pulled him into a loving embrace.

Fortunately for the two, they were saved by a timely intervention from Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy (who made good use of the torn part of the cape that they had fallen into the river with). "Oh goodness, that was too close!" Fluttershy declared afterward.

“Are you guys okay?” Rainbow asked.

“I will be when I’m back on the ground again!” Spike said.

“Oh, right,” Rainbow said. And she and Fluttershy took Rarity and Spike back to their friends, setting them down gently on the ground nearby.


However, once he was on solid ground again, Spike looked out over Ponyville and immediately became overwhelmed with grief. He saw nothing but damage and destruction as far as his green eyes could see and he knew he was the one who had caused it all. "I'm a monster!" he whimpered with tears in his eyes. He then fell to his knees and cried into his claws.

“No, Spike,” Twilight said. “You’re not. You were able to regain control of yourself.”

“That’s right,” Rarity said. “And it’s clear you feel remorseful. No monster would ever feel guilty. Don’t you dare think otherwise.”

Spike took a deep breath and calmed down a bit. Though, something was still on his mind.

“Rarity,” Spike said. “Even if you manage to forgive me, I just can’t forgive myself until I’ve fixed the damage I’ve caused.” He then began running to the nearest destroyed building and started moving bricks back into their proper place.

“Ah know he’s bein’ responsible fer his actions,” Applejack said, having arrived when Spike made it to the hill. “But, ah can’t bare ta see a little guy like him takin’ on all that fixin’ up by himself.”


Spike worked day and night fixing the damage. The Guardians of Harmony grew more concerned with each passing day.

“Oh, I can’t take it anymore!” Rainbow said. “I don’t know about you, but, I’m going to help him!”

The Guardians made their way to Spike as he was carrying a brick. Before any of them could do anything, the young dragon fell to the ground and passed out from exertion. Twilight cradled the drake in her forehooves.

“We should let him rest,” Twilight said. “While he’s doing so, we need to consult Zecora.”

“N’,” Applejack said. “How ‘bout we finish the job o’ fixin’ up the town while he’s out?”

“Leave that to the professionals,” Twilight said.

So, the Guardians brought the unconscious Spike to Zecora and explained the situation.

“So, he has regained control of his personal state,” Zecora said. “He is exhausted and will need to rest for a week at this rate.”

“Have you seen a dragon grieving at this magnitude before?” Rarity asked.

Zecora nodded. “Perhaps a trip to Farasi can shed some light on this young dragon’s struggling blight.”

“When should we do that?” Twilight asked.

“It would be best to take him while he’s out like a light,” Zecora said. “In his comatose state, he won’t put up a fight.”

“Alright,” Twilight said. “Thank you, Zecora.”

By the time Spike woke up, he found himself with his head on Rarity’s lap.

“Huh, wha~” Spike said wearily. “What happened?”

“Ya passed out from workin’ so hard, sugarcube,” Applejack said. “Zecora’s takin’ us ta Farasi.”

“What?!” Spike gasped. “But, what about the rest of Ponyville I need to fix?”

“It’s okay, Spike,” Fluttershy said. “It’s all taken care of.”

“Look, Spike,” Twilight said. “It's admirable to take responsibility for your actions and make efforts to clean up after yourself, but, you are going much too far on that. We don't want you literally working yourself to death. And nobody in Ponyville dislikes you enough for that, either, with the possible exceptions of Spoiled Rich and Diamond Tiara, but, their opinions should not matter.”**********

“Mom,” Spike said. “You’re always telling me to clean up my own mess!”

“True,” Twilight admitted. “But, cleaning up a finite area and rebuilding an entire town are two different things. You’re way too young for the latter line of work.”***********

“Besides,” Applejack said. “Even if ya were a few years older, ah know from experience how bad it is ta try ta do everything yerself.”

“Just because you are trying to clean up your own mess,” Rainbow said. “That doesn't mean you have to do it all on your own. The entire town working together can get the repairs done in under a week. And you would still be acknowledged for taking responsibility for your actions.”************

“Trust me, Spike,” Zecora said. “You need to see this.”

“Oh, Zecora!” Rarity said in surprise. “You didn’t speak in rhyme.”

“It has to be serious,” Pinkie said.

When they arrived at the station, Zecora led them to a ruined village.

“Whoa,” Spike said softly. “What happened here?”

“Six years ago,” Zecora said. “A dragon succumbed to greed and rampaged. When he came to his senses, he was horrified by what he did and vowed to rebuild the entire village.”

“So, did he?” Spike asked.

“He’s still toiling at that to this day,” Zecora said, pointing ahead. They all saw a dragon with light blue scales, a red underbelly and ear fronds, ruby red eyes, and dark red spikes carrying a brick. This dragon was half a head taller than Spike and so gauntly thin that he resembled a skeleton. Spike was horrified by what he saw.*************

“Must… rebuild…” the dragon said as he put the brick in place on a developing wall. He then went to get another brick.

“Blueflare succumbed to guilt long ago,” Zecora said. “He’s been toiling night and day. He doesn’t even stop to eat. Will you share his fate?”

Spike held onto his head and he began to breathe deeply. “No,” he said. “I don’t want to be like that. I may have messed up, but, I don’t want to be that stuck.”

The Guardians were glad to hear that. None more so than Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy.

“I think we’re ready to go home now,” Twilight said.


On the train back, Spike sat between Twilight and Rarity. Rarity petted Spike’s head.

“Hey, Mom,” Spike said. “Would it be okay if I wrote a letter to Princess Celestia? I learned a really powerful lesson from this.”

“Go ahead, son,” Twilight said. “And you should also know that I'm not mad at you for anything that happened that day. Obviously, we know now what to watch for to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Spike nodded as he pulled out a blank scroll and a quill from his loose scales and he began to write down his letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,
I thought it would be really cool to get lots of stuff for my birthday. But, I learned that it doesn't feel nearly as good as giving something special to somepony you really care about. I learned that it truly is better to give than to receive and that kindness and generosity are what lead to true friendship. And that’s more valuable than anything in the world.

Sincerely,
Spike.

He rolled up the scroll and sent it away. After he did, Rarity gave him a kiss on the left cheek again. Spike couldn’t help but happily blush.

“Oh, Spike,” Twilight said. “I just remembered that I never gave you my present yet. This time, however, it’s not a book.”

Spike was skeptical, but, decided to play along. “Okay, I’ll bite,” he said. “What is it?”

She gave Spike the passes to the amusement park that she had got before. The pass was a guaranteed entrance for a full year. Spike gasped with amazement.

“No way!” Spike exclaimed happily. “I’ve been wanting to go there for a while!” He then happily hugged Twilight. “Thank you, mom. This is the best gift you gave me!”

“Is this kind of gift okay?” Twilight asked Zecora.

“The greed applies to material possessions,” Zecora said. “If it can’t be held, there’s no fear of obsession.”

“So, Spike,” Twilight said. “Whenever you feel ready to go, we’ll use these passes.”

“If it’s all the same to you,” Spike said. “I’d like to rest for a while.”

“I understand,” Twilight said.

Spike then turned to Rarity. “So,” he said. “You know about my crush?”

“Oh, I’ve known for a good long while,” Rarity said. “I didn’t let on because I dreamt of being with Blueblood. And we all know how that turned out.”

The other Guardians nodded grimly. Zecora, who wasn’t at the gala, didn’t understand, but, Applejack filled her in later on.

“Anypony who acts so abusively to you after all your hardships is not somepony I’m willing to associate with,” Rarity said.

“Preach it, sister,” Pinkie said.

“If you knew so long, why didn’t you say anything?” Spike asked.

“I was waiting for you to work up the courage to tell me yourself,” Rarity said.

“Plus,” Twilight said. “If Rarity had told you before, you might have thought that I accidentally told her and broke the promise I made that I wouldn't tell her.”

“You did a brave thing confessing to me,” Rarity said. “After the Blueblood experience, I’m willing to reciprocate.”

“Uh, you do realize that, even though I might be twelve now, I'm still underage,” Spike said.

“Well, that would be a problem,” Rarity said. “IF I hadn't already decided before I even met you that, as Pinkie would put it, I would save the non-G-rated stuff for marriage when I found the right guy, regardless of species. And, well, it took me a year longer than it should have for me to make the realization that I already HAVE found the right guy. And the mess with Blueblood definitely taught me that it doesn't hurt to be patient enough to wait a few years, as long as I continue to let you know that you are appreciated. Stuff like treating you to nice dinners and movies of your choice.”

“But,” Spike added. “Not taking it past that for a few years. Got that. Well, one of the few things I HAVE been able to learn about dragons is that dragons have pretty long lifespans if we're careful, so, I can definitely afford to be patient.”**************

Pinkie squeed. “Even if it’s just an early stage, this looks like the start of a beautiful relationship.”

Twilight gave Spike a proud smile. “And I couldn’t be happier for them.”

They don’t need to know, Zecora said internally. That dragons only experience greed-induced bigness once in their entire lifetime. If Spike thinks it could happen again, it’ll encourage him to behave better.

Soon, the train returned to Ponyville and the friends returned to their own homes tired, happy, and just a little bit wiser.

End of chapter.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter.

*Rarity's love of drama definitely rubbed off on Spike.

**Twilight going into mom mode.

***Yes, triplets. Sue me.

****Pinkie's doing.

*****I know what his initials would spell. Don't bother pointing it out.

******I took this route to make Spike a circumstantial antagonist.

*******The first instance of ponies not recognizing Spike at first only to quickly realize it's him.

********The second instance.

*********The third instance.

**********Dialogue by Comickook.

***********Dialogue by me.

************More Comickook dialogue.

*************Character by me.

**************Even MORE Comickook dialogue.

With this, the Sparity ship officially set sail. I had the Wonderbolts removed because Ponyville's outside their jurisdiction and they didn't make a difference anyway.

The trip to Farasi was my idea.

Shoutout to Comickook for extra dialogue ideas.

If you liked this chapter, feel free to contact me via private messages if you'd like to help make future chapters.