• Published 5th May 2023
  • 5,439 Views, 151 Comments

A Warm Welcome for Nightmare Moon - Green121



Nightmare Moon had expected a fight upon her return, ponies cowering in fear as she's forced to battle her sister once more. However, there were things that she had not even considered a possibility. A sincere, warm welcome was one of them.

  • ...
13
 151
 5,439

Chapter 2

Celestia felt nothing but pride and relief as the crowd below continued to cheer after her sister's speech. She was initially nervous back then, not knowing how everyone would react to the news of a lost diarch from a thousand years ago suddenly reappearing. However, her subjects had taken the news of her potential return well. Aside from the few skeptics and doomsayers, her little ponies had taken a lot of positive interest in the chance of Nightmare Moon's homecoming.

Instead of taking part in the raucous revelry and festivities of the night before the day of the summer sun celebration, countless ponies and other creatures patiently gathered and waited in front of the Ponyville Royal Observatory with bated breath. Their patience was fully rewarded when the Mare of the Moon's mark vanished from the moon much to everyone's surprise, and soon Equestria's lost princess rushed out of the building's fourth-floor terrace. Celestia thanked them for showing genuine enthusiasm and appreciation for her sister. It was a rousing reception worthy of her return, and Celestia hoped that it would help ease her sister's worries by showing that she was truly welcomed back in Equestria.

Now, she just wanted to go out there and embrace her. She wanted to tell her that she was appreciated and that everything was going to be okay. But before she could run towards her, a pony in a doctor's gown put a hoof on her side and stopped her.

"Pardon me, princess, but may I have a word with you for a moment?" The white mare with a pink bun said it with a hint of nervousness.

"What is it, Doctor?"

"I know you're eager to reconcile with her after so long, but I think you should approach her with caution." Dr. Redheart eyed the other diarch at the end of the terrace for a moment before continuing. "From what I can tell, her motor skills look fine, but we don't know exactly how well she's faring. She seems frightened and jumpy as is, so please be careful. We shouldn't strain her further than she currently is."

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind." Celestia acknowledged the doctor's concerns and slowly stepped out to the spacious terrace, ready to greet her sibling from her long sojourn on the moon.


As the solar alicorn slowly walked out of the doorway and towards her counterpart at the edge of the terrace, she made herself visible to the gathered crowd. Spotting her arrival, the excited audience let out another round of applause for their ruler. Noticing this, Nightmare Moon quickly turned herself around to face whatever was behind her.

As she turned around and saw Celestia slowly walking towards her with a smile, she cursed inwardly for getting distracted for too long and letting her pursuer catch up to her. Here comes their champion. Nightmare immediately put her stance wide and spared no time as she hastily shot a blast of magic at her, the beam whizzing by just above her target and striking the stone walls of the observatory. Celestia flinched, and so did everyone else that was watching.

"That's as close as you can come!" The armored alicorn shouted, silencing the gasping crowd. Their previous excitement turned into shock, then into uncertainty and concern as their acclamation turned into confused murmurs. They saw Celestia hesitantly take a step back, clearly taken off guard from her offensive.

Nightmare Moon felt fatigue catch up to her, every use of magic draining her already dried-up magic reserves. Her head throbbed in pain, and it felt like the armor she wore was weighing her down. Even her throat began to feel sore from amplifying her voice for a short moment, but she remained steadfast, for she could not afford to show weakness.

"Luna?" Celestia's voice trembled a bit. Nightmare's gaze bore into her, and she could see her wide eyes gleaming under the light of the full moon. "There's no need to fight. We were meant to rule together, sister. Please, it's time for us to reconcile."

However, her sister did not budge from her rigid stance as if she were anticipating an attack from her. The dark alicorn sneered at her sister's pleading, her expression a mixture of a smirk and anger.

"That's just rich coming from you. I know what you did. You just couldn't fathom being bested by your little sister in a fight, couldn't you?"

"Luna, I'm sorry. That wasn't- it wasn't my intention to-"

"Stop. Stop calling me by that name." Celestia's response was cut off by the agitated alicorn. "Luna... she was such an inconvenience, wasn't she? Your little sister, always there to make your already exhausting work harder. Nothing but a naysayer she was." Nightmare Moon's calm, regal poise began to shake, and resentment began to take hold of her. "...Well sorry for not being a yes pony like the spoiled nobles you coddled!"

Celestia wanted to retort, or at least tell her that she was sorry for making her feel neglected. She had thought of many things to say when Luna finally managed to return, but she could say none as she froze up on the spot.

"I knew you were too stubborn to yield, but still, it's unbelievable how you actually used the Elements of Harmony of all things to strike me. You planned on getting rid of me like Discord! Then what, sister? Put my petrified remains right next to him in the gardens as some morbid display of power? Don't you dare think I don't realize what you tried to do!" The Mare of the Moon's former calm and collected demeanor quickly crumbled as it was replaced with fury and sorrow, her nostrils flaring as she clenched her jaws. Her pent-up emotions threatened her to break down right there and then, and the mare barely managed to suppress her body from shuddering. "I think I made myself clear back then. I have no intentions of making excuses for the treachery of our subjects."

The former monarch's chest tightened at her sister's outburst, a hurt expression evident on her face. "Nightmare, In your absence, Equestria has changed. It's no longer the nation you had known. Please, I implore you to give us a chance."

"Has it changed for better or worse, Celestia? Under your benevolent rule, I assume the latter."

As the confrontation continued, terrible memories of a thousand years ago continued to resurface from the depths of Celestia's mind. Their encounter was turning into a hostile standoff similar to that fateful day, instead of the heartfelt reunion that she had longed for. She waited so long for this, and she couldn't let this end with another battle. If it did, she didn't think she'd be able to live with herself after that. She'd made promises to each of her two now-long-gone friends in the past. One was a solemn vow, to rule their nation together with her sister in harmony. The other was a pledge made with regret, to bring her back safely at all costs. Celestia could not fail, for she intended to keep her word. She was determined to resolve this peacefully, hoping her actions would act as repentance for driving her own kin into such a cruel fate. And no matter how long it took, she would persuade her sister, helping her to the best of her abilities as they restored the long-lost Equestrian diarchy.

With the reminder now placed in her mind, she settled down her fears, slowly taking a step toward her sister with courage, trying her best to look non-threatening. Her train of thought was cut short, however, as the alicorn on the other side proceeded to fire another blast of magic at her with perfect accuracy this time.

Author's Note:

I was kind of unsure whether I could deliver something worthwhile for the readers by dabbling more into this story. I found myself writing more regardless though, so that alone was one reason to continue this. This could go bad for all I know, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.