• Published 10th Feb 2023
  • 954 Views, 19 Comments

Princess Luna’s Anthology of Final Wishes - Drunk Luna



Princess Luna has the most difficult, most sacred duty imaginable. These are the stories of the ponies she has guided and comforted when they needed her most.

  • ...
3
 19
 954

Winter Gust

Luna didn't understand why she was in a maternity ward until she saw the motionless bundle lying all alone in a back room.

"Oh, please, no, not another one," she whispered, galloping toward the garbage bag. After tearing the bag away, she found a lifeless newborn colt, his nose and mouth already blue, his eyes half-open. Luna urgently checked the foal's body for a pulse and sighed with relief when she found a weak, but still present, sign of life.

"Come on, little one, please stay with me," Luna begged, doing everything in her power to revive the motionless foal, even though she knew that this baby was doomed. She charged her horn and began to cast a resurrection spell, surrounding the colt's body with shimmering turquoise mist. The spell did nothing, and Luna began to sob as she entered the Sacred Hall.

The little white unicorn colt lay on his back, crying in pain and terror. His body was covered in filth, and his cries were hoarse and weak. Luna lifted the foal, cuddled him close, and began to feed him. As the colt suckled ravenously, Luna began to talk to him.

"So," she cooed, "what shall I call you, tiny one?" The colt opened his golden eyes and gurgled, smiling up at Luna.

"I like Winter Gust," Luna said as she began to bathe the foal. "That name suits you, since you are such a handsome little white unicorn. What do you think, my little love?" Winter Gust giggled and splashed a bit in the warm, soapy water. Luna lifted him out of the tub, dried him off, and chose his angel gown: A white gown decorated with snowflakes and a matching hat and receiving blanket. She dressed him, swaddled him in the blanket, and rocked him, singing a lullaby. The foal yawned and fell asleep, and Luna nuzzled his forehead, knowing that his wishes had already been granted. Her throat tightened as tears began to stream down her face. Usually, Luna could keep her composure, but she had had to care for a large number of newborns and very young foals recently, and the immense emotional strain of the job was beginning to affect her.

The dream lapsed, and Luna sighed heavily. As she carried the foal to the gates, Luna swallowed her tears, gave the tiny newborn a single, soft kiss on his forehead, and passed the colt to a waiting angel. Winter Gust was carried lovingly into Heaven, the gates closed, and the dreamscape faded.

Luna returned to the waking world and shivered at the icy air as she walked out onto her balcony. It was the coldest night of the year, and snow flurries danced in the wind that nipped at Luna's ears and muzzle. The sky was clear, the moon was full, and stars winked in the velvety blue expanse as the northern lights rippled above, courtesy of Luna's eldest daughter, Neoma. A small cloud of steam blew from Luna's nostrils as she heaved another sigh and lifted her eyes to the stars. She only had one thing left to do. This little one would be remembered on Earth, and his name would be spoken with love. Luna took a deep breath and spoke the two words that would complete her task:

"Winter Gust."