• Published 10th Feb 2023
  • 954 Views, 19 Comments

Princess Luna’s Anthology of Final Wishes - Drunk Luna



Princess Luna has the most difficult, most sacred duty imaginable. These are the stories of the ponies she has guided and comforted when they needed her most.

  • ...
3
 19
 954

Ula

Another night, another foals' hospital, Luna thought, her heart heavy. As she walked through the hospital's automatic doors, Luna was greeted by the respectful bows, curtsies, and grim smiles of the staff, all of whom knew her well. She headed to the ward in which she was needed, trotting briskly, her ears forward and focused. Eventually, she quickened her pace to a canter, knowing there wasn't much time left. Luna's starry mane and tail flowed behind her in an invisible breeze as she hurried down the ridiculously long hallway, the staccato beat of her metal-shod hooves echoing off the glossy vinyl floor. When she heard the anguished cries of the foal's parents, her heart shot into her throat as she feared that she was too late, but Luna relaxed as she felt the foal's life force, which was extremely weak, but still present. She peered through the glass window on the door and sighed sadly when she saw the ten-year-old filly lying motionless in the bed. Closing her eyes, she entered the dream realm and approached the salmon-colored unicorn, who trotted up to Luna and hugged the princess as soon as she saw her.

"Okay, Princess Luna, I know we've already talked about this in a lot of my dreams, so I'm ready," Ula said firmly. "I've thought about these wishes a lot. I'm not scared at all; to be honest, I'm really glad you prepared me. You're like a hospice nurse, therapist, and princess all wrapped up in one beautiful, blue, sparkly package." Luna giggled at the filly's comment and draped her wing over Ula's shoulders.

"Well, Ula," Luna said with a little smile, "what is your first wish? For some reason, I have a feeling that all three of your wishes are pretty big, so I want to make sure you have enough time to fully enjoy each one."

"I want to swim with dolphins!" Ula exclaimed excitedly. "That's my greatest wish, but there are other aspects to it: I want you to join me, Princess. I know it's super random, but you seem like such a fun pony to just hang out with, so I was thinking we could make an entire little vacation out of it. You're my favorite princess, and I just really want to have fun with you! My third wish is that my parents will hold my hooves as I cross over; I'm not scared at all, but I know they want to be able to hold me when I go. I want them to know that I'll be okay."

"Those are definitely some big wishes," Luna said, smiling. "I'm not surprised with your choices, though; your name means 'sea jewel,' after all. We'd better get started!" She teleported them both to a beautiful, white, sandy beach in front of a huge, crystal clear, turquoise lagoon. The breeze smelled of salt, tropical flowers, and the familiar freshness and freedom that always seem to reveal themselves when one is near the ocean. Waves gently lapped at the shore, and the sun was perfectly warm as it shone in the cloudless blue sky. Just offshore, a pod of dolphins frolicked in the sparkling water. Ula gasped excitedly and looked up at Luna, as if asking her permission. Luna smirked playfully.

"Race you in!" she yelled, galloping ahead of Ula but slowing down just enough to let the filly win as they both rushed into the warm yet refreshing ocean. Ula squealed happily as several dolphins approached them, and she reached out to stroke each one as they surfaced.

"Princess Luna, this is incredible!" the filly cried, her eyes huge with wonder. "They're so soft... they're the softest things I've ever touched in my life!" Luna chuckled at Ula's unbridled enthusiasm.

"Yes," Luna agreed, stroking one of the dolphins. "They are incredibly soft and smooth. I love them because they're so intelligent and playful. I've swum with them many times, and I have the ability to communicate with them. Watch this." Grinning, Luna telepathically sent a message to the dolphin she was petting, who promptly dove underwater and shot out toward the horizon, then leapt out of the water in a graceful arc. Ula's mouth fell open as the dolphin returned to Luna's side.

"How did you do that?" Ula gasped, laughing as the dolphin gave Luna a cheeky little splash with his tail. Luna giggled at the dolphin's antics before answering Ula's question.

"Remember, I can communicate with them," she said. "Because my moon influences the tides, I naturally possess the ability to communicate fluently with every living being in the ocean. Dolphins are my favorites, though; look at this little cutie! How can you not fall in love with that face?" She giggled and stroked the dolphin's back as he swam off. The two of them swam with the dolphins for a few more minutes, until UIa began to tire. They waded up onto the beach, lay down in the luxurious cabana that had been set up for them, and began to sip a few mocktails.

"So," Luna said, "have you enjoyed our time together so far?" Ula nodded vigorously.

"Oh, yes, Princess," she said excitedly.

"Wonderful," Luna said, clapping her hooves, "because we're going to have a little spa day now, if you want to."

"I'd love to!" Ula squealed, jumping up and down. "I want to look as beautiful as possible when I get my angel wings." Luna nearly burst into tears at Ula's declaration, but she stifled her sadness and forced the most natural-looking smile she could give the filly.

"Sounds like a plan, then," Luna said, her voice sounding a bit softer as her throat tightened. "I'll take you to the spa that only the royals are permitted to use; you get to be my guest for... for the rest of your life." She had to look away from Ula for a moment to rein in her emotions. Yes, she knew that Ula had accepted the fact that she was dying and had prepared for this day for months with more grace and courage than many elderly adults who had lived full lives; still, this loss would be painful for Luna. Ula reminded Luna so much of her youngest daughter, Cassiopeia, Princess of the Coast, who was now a beautiful, healthy, happy, grown mare with her own life. Ula and Cassie shared a love for the sea, and they were both free spirits with a wild streak. Ula was so similar to the way Cassie had been at her age. The fact that Luna had no choice but to take the filly to the other side absolutely ripped the princess of the night's heart to shreds. Luna made a mental note to call Cassie later and tell her how much she loved her, then she redirected her attention back to Ula. She created a beautiful luxury spa where Ula was pampered with the finest products and treatments. The filly had her makeup done, and she magically received a long, thick, flowing, salmon pink mane and tail--the mane and tail that chemotherapy had stolen from her. Ula gasped for the thousandth time, then burst into tears as her beautiful mane and tail reappeared.

As the dreamscape lapsed, Luna showed Ula a portal that displayed her parents in her hospital room. The two unicorns stood on either side of Ula; her father held her left front hoof, and her mother held her right. Ula sighed blissfully and gave Luna a knowing look.

"It's time, isn't it?"

"Yes." Luna nodded, conjured the gates of Heaven, and walked Ula through them. Ula thanked Luna, hugged her, and trotted confidently to a waiting angel. Luna exited the dream realm, cried for a moment, then resumed her duties.